Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Excuse me sir!
Do you need tuk-tuk?
Picture? *gestures camera at you*
Guide?
*whispers* Hash. Weed. Marijuana. Smoke.
Pashmina? Cashmir? Low price!
View Results

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Nice thread. I did a semester Tibetan anthropology program in Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh, in northwest India in college and it was pretty awesome staying there. It is where the Tibetan Government-in-Exile and the Dalai Lama are based. I suggest adding it to the recommended destinations list.

Also, Delhi and Agra both kind of sucked but the Indian countryside is awesome. There was some streetside diced onion/fried crunch mix I remember tasting great. Chai Masala is always great too. Magic Masala Lay's chips are probably the best flavor on the planet.

Maybe include a travel advisory/tips for female solo travelers? I feel like India is a totally different experience for group/single male travelers vs female solo and worth talking about as a disclaimer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Akratic Method posted:

Also, it probably doesn't really need said, but the Taj Mahal is really really worth going to. Agra is pretty awful for the most part, it's true, but the Taj is one of those places that is famous and celebrated and nonetheless not overrated at all.

Yeah, passing through Agra is like jumping through hoops and hurdles of peddlers and human obstacles, but once you get into the Taj Mahal proper it really is a wonder to behold. The actual monument grounds are peaceful and sublime, just that everything outside of the perimeter is lovely.

e: Indian food is delicious too, just pack some Pepto-Bismol because it's a matter of if and not when you get diarrhea and stomach dysfunction adjusting to the local bacteria, especially if you eat the washed vegetables. And try not to eat lamb brain curry before leaving Delhi to board a return flight. I did that as a college student and ended up making GBS threads constantly for the whole 12-hour flight back home, to the point of making an angry line of passengers outside of the airplane bathroom stall. :v:

e2: Looking through Facebook at my old India pictures, I remember this being the weirdest thing I saw on the trip:

Well the sign didn't lie! And yes, that is a monkey wearing lipstick and a dress as a roadside attraction.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 12, 2024