Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Well, here we are again, like we never even left! This game was released in September of 2017 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC as the follow-up to the surprise fan-favorite Destiny, and the middle act to Bungie's 10-year contract with Activision. Changes were made to most of the RPG-like elements of the game, but the foundation remained the same. You've got space magic and an incredible arsenal of weapons, and it's your job, and that of up to five of your best super-powered friends, to murder a lot of aliens and save Humanity from the Darkness. Changes include new subclasses and abilities, and a less mind-boggling amount of customization for your character, as well as a reduced stress on the grind aspect of the first game. Through the last two years and four expansions, Bungie has continued to work on the formula, and as of recently, left Activision in favor of self-publishing. As of Shadowkeep--the latest expansion--things are more or less the improved version of Destiny that fans were hoping for, and the game is primed and ready to move into its third act next year.

As for story? Well, things are okay after the Guardians take down Oryx and the Siva threat posed by Aksis. Things are mostly quiet, with some scattered skirmishes around the solar system. Our hero is returning from patrol only to realize something is direly wrong. The Tower itself is smoldering from an attack and Cabal troops run rampant through the Last City's streets. Now it's up to us to end this invasion and take the fight to whoever is responsible.

As this game is a direct sequel, I'd highly recommend brushing up on the first game, either through our LP or otherwise.

As usual, the LP will be conducted in two sets of videos--uncut commentary track and no commentary. I'll be joined through it all by my good friend and all around nerd Grayfawks, but we'll have several other friends with us as we continue onward. Regular YouTube logo is no commentary, inverted is uncut commentary.

I think that about covers it, so here we go again, back on our legendary bullshit.

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 9, 2019

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
One more for the road.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Getting crushed by surprise Cabal droppod still happens to me even now, it's so goofy to die that way that I always chuckle. I did notice that tutorial intro area with Zavala's shield of lies is the old Tower social area from Destiny 1, they literally exploded it.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Yup! Say goodbye to the old Tower. It had a good run, but it's time to move on. And yeah, those drop pods are stone cold murderers. I know where they'll drop in most areas and I STILL get surprised every once in a while.

In fact, there's a video that cropped up pretty early on in the game's life that sums things up pretty well (minor spoilers for the base game, so click at your own risk):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaukHzywgeA

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's a good thing you recorded this footage pre-Shadowkeep, because apparently the old new character experience doesn't really exist anymore. You can do the main campaign missions, but it's not cohesive.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Speaking of Zavala's ward of lies, I've seen him get vaporized in that section at least once. He of course regenerated after a short delay but, yeah, that shield is a bit of a trap. :v:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

malkav11 posted:

It's a good thing you recorded this footage pre-Shadowkeep, because apparently the old new character experience doesn't really exist anymore. You can do the main campaign missions, but it's not cohesive.

As I've just started playing, can confirm. Its goddamn confusing.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Just jumping in to point out that in the Art Book, the concept for the updated Tower has it listed as the "Wall".

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

As I've just started playing, can confirm. Its goddamn confusing.

Well, good news!

This will be the first time I'll be seeing a lot of what New Light has to offer and how things work, and it might turn out that a lot of this stuff will get covered in the main series of videos, but it's likely to be at least somewhat helpful for new players to Shadowkeep.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to actually add the commentary version. Fixed now.

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 9, 2019

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Should I play base Destiny 2/Forsaken before getting Shadowkeep? Or should I just jump straight into getting Shadowkeep? Been a long time and was thinking of starting over.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Gideon020 posted:

Should I play base Destiny 2/Forsaken before getting Shadowkeep? Or should I just jump straight into getting Shadowkeep? Been a long time and was thinking of starting over.

I'd start before buying Forsaken or Shadowkeep. There's a whole bunch of it that's free. If you find yourself wanting something that's locked behind one of the paid expansions or the season pass, go ahead and put down some cash. You'll probably end up wanting them eventually if you stick with it, but why not test the waters first?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Huh. I played Destiny 2 when it was put on battle.net free, and this is all very different - when I played, you started out in the City being invaded, ending with briefly losing your powers. I played through the campaign once, thought it was a completely okay but unremarkable first person shooter, uninstalled, and never touched it again.

Maybe it's time to give this steam f2p mode a shot.

Either way, this sure is a Bungie game. A whole lot of vague babble about 'the X' and 'the Y,' none of it explained well or given any context beyond 'thing good' or 'thing bad.'

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cythereal posted:

Huh. I played Destiny 2 when it was put on battle.net free, and this is all very different - when I played, you started out in the City being invaded, ending with briefly losing your powers. I played through the campaign once, thought it was a completely okay but unremarkable first person shooter, uninstalled, and never touched it again.

Maybe it's time to give this steam f2p mode a shot.

Either way, this sure is a Bungie game. A whole lot of vague babble about 'the X' and 'the Y,' none of it explained well or given any context beyond 'thing good' or 'thing bad.'

The Steam version starts you out playing the first level to Destiny 1 and then drops you in the tower to do as you wilst without going through the story campaigns. Those are "Legacy content" and accessed by going to the vehicle seller, and nothing tells you that.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

Bruceski posted:

The Steam version starts you out playing the first level to Destiny 1 and then drops you in the tower to do as you wilst without going through the story campaigns. Those are "Legacy content" and accessed by going to the vehicle seller, and nothing tells you that.

Can confirm. It was only through accessing the Eververse shop that I found out.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Well, now that we've gotten kicked clear off of Ghaul's command ship, it's time to get the hell out of Dodge and evacuate the Last City with the rest of the Lightless Guardians and civilians.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I missed this series a lot. So glad it's started back up! :peanut:

New Light was a big surprise to me when I started a new character on it and had to check back on the start of the Destiny 1 LP to make sure I wasn't just imagining things. :v:

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
Being a new player with the new light thing, I have just recently learnt that you could play the old legacy campaign. The mechanic lady in the tower gives the quests

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
There's at least one quest that has you talk to Tyra Karn again after you get back to the main hub. I know this because I couldn't remember who the heck she was and had to look it up.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

fadderman posted:

Being a new player with the new light thing, I have just recently learnt that you could play the old legacy campaign. The mechanic lady in the tower gives the quests

I was going to ask if that was possible, assuming "legacy campaign" means what we're seeing with Ugg. Only going from these two videos but it would seem a shame to never get to see any of it so far.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I was going to ask if that was possible, assuming "legacy campaign" means what we're seeing with Ugg. Only going from these two videos but it would seem a shame to never get to see any of it so far.

Yes and no. You get to play the major Red War campaign missions, but it's not delivered in the way Ugg's experiencing it and there are some cuts. Like from what I've heard you actually don't do the bit where you're sneaking out of the city while badly wounded, or locating the Farm? Also you used to get to pick a couple exotics as part of the campaign and apparently that is not the case anymore.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

malkav11 posted:

Yes and no. You get to play the major Red War campaign missions, but it's not delivered in the way Ugg's experiencing it and there are some cuts. Like from what I've heard you actually don't do the bit where you're sneaking out of the city while badly wounded, or locating the Farm? Also you used to get to pick a couple exotics as part of the campaign and apparently that is not the case anymore.

I don't know about the farm, but the other day I saw someone play the beginning and you definitely walk out.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Oh dear. Grayfawks is right.The "Journey" theme gives sets some heavy Arcanum mood.
I guess it makes sense. Ughh fell off a space zeppelin and found his one trusty companion after the crash.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 16, 2019

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker

Kibayasu posted:

I have been following the legacy quest chain, and I have seen all that Ugg have seen.
Might be cuts later in the chain.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I’ve been looking forward to this one for a while.

Crembo
Sep 1, 2004
zionist conspirator
I'm not sure what triggered it, but eventually I got a "quest" saying "Hey player, go talk to the lady in the hangar, she has the old campaigns you can pick up!", so the game DOES tell you about it. I think you need to level up or get better gear or something? The way it works is, you "collect" the quest from her, then you need to launch into it from the world map as if it was a Strike or some other activity.

Also: Can confirm that as soon as you start the 'Red War' campaign you get more or less the same start - Cayde-6 complaining about practical jokes, player shows up at tower, gets rekt by Ghaul, crawls out, ends up at the farm with subclasses locked. However, unlike the original game, you can carry whichever crazy overpowered gear you've picked up outside, and the rest of the "post-game" content stays open so you can just put the campaign on hold and go back to doing whatever.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I just remembered one thing:
Is Destiny 2 Ugg the imported char from D1 or just a newly created long-lost twin brother? I think it changes some dialogue around depending if you are the "young wolf" (Destiny 1 import) or some other unrelated guardian.

It gets even worse with "New Light", where you are a fresh guardian resurrected after the big events from the first game and second game and somebody has to explain to you and your ghost what a "Taken" is.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 17, 2019

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

OutofSight posted:

I just remembered one thing:
Is Destiny 2 Ugg the imported char from DS1 or just a newly created long-lost twin brother? I think it changes some dialogue around depending if you are the "young wolf" (Destiny 1 import) or some other unrelated guardian.

It gets even worse with "New Light", where you are a fresh guardian resurrected after the big events from the first game and second game and somebody has to explain to you and your ghost what a "Taken" is.

Ugg is recreated, sadly; D1 Ugg was made on an account that didn't ultimately do a whole lot of anything, and never actually saw any of the raids. In D2, he's on my main account and the New Light Titan is the one on an alt account. Before Shadowkeep, it wasn't possible to actually pull an actual character from console to PC, but it did pull that account's progress through things. So, I got all the nifty alternate dialog from everything through Taken King (because I didn't have Rise of Iron before D2 came out), and never actually get called young wolf by Saladin at any point in the second game. Oh well!

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Saladin is such a deadbeat dad in D2, he just shows up once in a while to take us to pizza.
Shaxx is the real dad here.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
I'm a lazy sack of poo poo! I had this ready to go earlier this week and just straight didn't bother doing the banner work until today. Anyway, let's poke that Shard, shall we?

Crembo
Sep 1, 2004
zionist conspirator
White and green gear! How nostalgic! Players starting in New Light won't see anything below blue, due to being insta-levelled-up to 750.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker

Crembo posted:

White and green gear! How nostalgic! Players starting in New Light won't see anything below blue, due to being insta-levelled-up to 750.

they will for all of the character starting arc, but then it is just blues and purples

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
You can get white drops during the opening of the Riskrunner quest.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You gotta wonder why anyone ever bothered attacking the city when apparently all you need to do to get the power of the universe is find the discarded junk of it :v:

For all the explaining people do of nu-Destiny 2 I can't say I'll ever be entirely sure of what the various levels of stuff lets you do. Also I take it the campaign of the first game is still just confined to the first game?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
They're entirely separate games at this point, although Bungie have added some of the D1 weapons back into 2 over time and the new opening mission references the opening of 1.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Hey everyone, apologies for the late video. Been struggling to find work, so my focus was elsewhere. The next video is nearly ready to go, so I'll try to have it up by either Monday or Tuesday. Hope you're all having a lovely weekend.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Wait there's a campaign that goes along with this game? Oh thank god I was already getting bored of the open world stuff. Now where is this mechanic lady I need to talk to?

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Wait there's a campaign that goes along with this game? Oh thank god I was already getting bored of the open world stuff. Now where is this mechanic lady I need to talk to?

She's in the Tower hangar, off to the left when you spawn in to the main LZ for the Tower.

Dr. Dubious
Dec 5, 2010

Amputee Ninja Ryu Hayabusa
You're taking a holiday by going and seeing Holliday. If you can't find her just look on the tower map, she doesn't really serve much of a purpose these days so I guess Bungie had to give her something to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Dr. Dubious posted:

You're taking a holiday by going and seeing Holliday. If you can't find her just look on the tower map, she doesn't really serve much of a purpose these days so I guess Bungie had to give her something to do.
I still don´t understand why Bungie gutted the campaigns so badly when they made the New Light version. You´d think that they´d at least give you the choice of going through the Red War campaign before hitting the other DLC´s in whatever fashion you please.