Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Well, here we are again, like we never even left! This game was released in September of 2017 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC as the follow-up to the surprise fan-favorite Destiny, and the middle act to Bungie's 10-year contract with Activision. Changes were made to most of the RPG-like elements of the game, but the foundation remained the same. You've got space magic and an incredible arsenal of weapons, and it's your job, and that of up to five of your best super-powered friends, to murder a lot of aliens and save Humanity from the Darkness. Changes include new subclasses and abilities, and a less mind-boggling amount of customization for your character, as well as a reduced stress on the grind aspect of the first game. Through the last two years and four expansions, Bungie has continued to work on the formula, and as of recently, left Activision in favor of self-publishing. As of Shadowkeep--the latest expansion--things are more or less the improved version of Destiny that fans were hoping for, and the game is primed and ready to move into its third act next year.

As for story? Well, things are okay after the Guardians take down Oryx and the Siva threat posed by Aksis. Things are mostly quiet, with some scattered skirmishes around the solar system. Our hero is returning from patrol only to realize something is direly wrong. The Tower itself is smoldering from an attack and Cabal troops run rampant through the Last City's streets. Now it's up to us to end this invasion and take the fight to whoever is responsible.

As this game is a direct sequel, I'd highly recommend brushing up on the first game, either through our LP or otherwise.

As usual, the LP will be conducted in two sets of videos--uncut commentary track and no commentary. I'll be joined through it all by my good friend and all around nerd Grayfawks, but we'll have several other friends with us as we continue onward. Regular YouTube logo is no commentary, inverted is uncut commentary.

I think that about covers it, so here we go again, back on our legendary bullshit.

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 9, 2019

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
One more for the road.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Yup! Say goodbye to the old Tower. It had a good run, but it's time to move on. And yeah, those drop pods are stone cold murderers. I know where they'll drop in most areas and I STILL get surprised every once in a while.

In fact, there's a video that cropped up pretty early on in the game's life that sums things up pretty well (minor spoilers for the base game, so click at your own risk):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaukHzywgeA

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

As I've just started playing, can confirm. Its goddamn confusing.

Well, good news!

This will be the first time I'll be seeing a lot of what New Light has to offer and how things work, and it might turn out that a lot of this stuff will get covered in the main series of videos, but it's likely to be at least somewhat helpful for new players to Shadowkeep.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to actually add the commentary version. Fixed now.

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 9, 2019

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Well, now that we've gotten kicked clear off of Ghaul's command ship, it's time to get the hell out of Dodge and evacuate the Last City with the rest of the Lightless Guardians and civilians.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

OutofSight posted:

I just remembered one thing:
Is Destiny 2 Ugg the imported char from DS1 or just a newly created long-lost twin brother? I think it changes some dialogue around depending if you are the "young wolf" (Destiny 1 import) or some other unrelated guardian.

It gets even worse with "New Light", where you are a fresh guardian resurrected after the big events from the first game and second game and somebody has to explain to you and your ghost what a "Taken" is.

Ugg is recreated, sadly; D1 Ugg was made on an account that didn't ultimately do a whole lot of anything, and never actually saw any of the raids. In D2, he's on my main account and the New Light Titan is the one on an alt account. Before Shadowkeep, it wasn't possible to actually pull an actual character from console to PC, but it did pull that account's progress through things. So, I got all the nifty alternate dialog from everything through Taken King (because I didn't have Rise of Iron before D2 came out), and never actually get called young wolf by Saladin at any point in the second game. Oh well!

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
I'm a lazy sack of poo poo! I had this ready to go earlier this week and just straight didn't bother doing the banner work until today. Anyway, let's poke that Shard, shall we?

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Hey everyone, apologies for the late video. Been struggling to find work, so my focus was elsewhere. The next video is nearly ready to go, so I'll try to have it up by either Monday or Tuesday. Hope you're all having a lovely weekend.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Wait there's a campaign that goes along with this game? Oh thank god I was already getting bored of the open world stuff. Now where is this mechanic lady I need to talk to?

She's in the Tower hangar, off to the left when you spawn in to the main LZ for the Tower.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Hi, sorry about that huge break. Things happened, but it's fine now. Hopefully we can avoid this happening in the future and not have another Destiny thread situation happen!

Anyway, time we actually got started, eh? So let's go investigate our first real hub-world, the European Dead Zone. While we're at it, let's also do some errands for good old chap Devrim Kay.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
DOUBLE POST, ENTIRELY NECESSARY:

https://twitter.com/Pythonicuss/status/1201923825916678144

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

malkav11 posted:

There is kind of an equivalent to the Grimoire these days, with Lore triumphs. I just wish they'd backported some of the older lore content (e.g. Mars' inventory items) to the Triumph format so they were referenceable more easily.

Yeah, this is true! I've spent a good while the last several months since we recorded to gather quite a lot of the Triumphs and such, as well as collecting as much of the gear as possible with lore tabs.

Aaaaaand, I also got this thing:

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
So hey! We were going to record some tonight, but since Shadowkeep happened, we have to start from the beginning! Instead of just doing this alone, I'ma stream it. Come by, say hi, watch Dubi and I be idiots! It'll be a great time!

https://www.twitch.tv/pythonicus

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Pythonicus posted:

Hi, sorry about that huge break. Things happened, but it's fine now. Hopefully we can avoid this happening in the future and not have another Destiny thread situation happen!

This was true at the time, then became untrue, and now it's hopefully back to fine again? I'm going to try and get back on this soonish. Thanks for your patience!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Yeah, sorry about that. I haven't been entirely lax during the lapse in updates, though. There's been a LOT of work done in getting a lot of endgame things recorded; things such as the first raid, several Exotic unlocks, and both Dungeon activities, to name a few. So, assuming we can actually make our way there eventually, things will at least be fairly smooth for that time period :v: