Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

EmbryoSteve posted:

People care about the A's?

54,000 attendance the other night, so you know, when they're in the playoffs and they take the tarps off

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

EmbryoSteve posted:

People care about the A's?

I guess they have some goodwill due to Moneyball.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Baker “Bosa’s Bitch” Mayfield

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Tato posted:

Jesus Christ

it's pretty drat depressing to envision. im thinking a final score of 13-9

gimme all your loving sports franchises, RIGHT NOW

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Loving that fans have fully embraced the next year will be different narrative already. Same old sorry rear end poo poo.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Rooster Brooster posted:

DVOA includes two great ideas you don't get in "normal" stats - success rate and opponent adjustments.

Success rate being the number of times a play is successful, something like get 40% of needed yards on 1st down, 80% on 2nd down, 100% on 3rd or 4th down. That's a neat idea, since it weeds out plays such as when a draw on 3rd and 25 gets a running back 15 yards; it wasn't really successful, so the running back doesn't get much credit for it.

Opponent adjustments are also a good idea, it's the formal way of saying "Yeah, but they've only played Miami, Washingon, and the Jets so far, wait until they play a real team!"

The problem with DVOA is it takes these two basic, good ideas and mushes them into an opaque mega-Excel document. They also do this stuff with "greatest team of all time!" every year to fill content, and it almost always winds up being due to small sample sizes that vanishes by week 8 or 9.

I wish they'd just post success rate percentages and opponent-adjusted yards and left it at that; maybe they do have that info in their paid site I dunno. I have written too much about DVOA

Well said.

I like DVOA and think it's better than citing, like, just counting stats, but if their weekly ratings are so volatile and subject to pontifications about changing their calculation because they don't "feel" right, I'm not entirely sure they have much more intrinsic value than Dan Hanzus's power rankings.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Loving that fans have fully embraced the next year will be different narrative already. Same old sorry rear end poo poo.

Budweiser smartly already sold its several hundred dollar beer fridges to browns fans who probably shouldnt have power of attorney before the season started

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

A guy with a weak spleen sitting behind an offensive line that gave up 10 sacks this weekend what could possibly go wrong.

The jets killing their franchise qb is a very jetsy thing to do

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Barudak posted:

Budweiser smartly already sold its several hundred dollar beer fridges to browns fans who probably shouldnt have power of attorney before the season started

Are they going to do a Dolphin's fridge?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Are they going to do a Dolphin's fridge?

Isn't Landshark still the official beer of the Dolphins or did some merciful god allow that to end?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The twist is that he’s only cleared for emotional contact.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

adaz posted:

A guy with a weak spleen sitting behind an offensive line that gave up 10 sacks this weekend what could possibly go wrong.

He's been cleared.

What are they supposed to do? Just never play him this season because he had mono?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

He's been cleared.

What are they supposed to do? Just never play him this season because he had mono?

They aren't going to the playoffs so why not an extra week after he's cleared?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/alltwentytwo/status/1181613515414462464?s=19

Please let me forget my budding star first round pick is a chud

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~

latinotwink1997 posted:

Baker “Bosa’s Bitch” Mayfield

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

He's been cleared.

Might be worth another week if he lost a lot of weight or something.

But yeah other than that I guess you gotta throw him back out there. That or fire Gase right now (good idea) and continue the tank with whoever they have suiting up these days.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I don't see the harm in playing it safe either. A week or two extra seems like the best way to manage the condition just to take any margin for error out of the equation, considering the consequences for getting it wrong include literal death.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

adaz posted:

His spleen is fine that was the entire point of this saga

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Professor Funk posted:

His spleen is "medically cleared". That's not always the same thing as "fine".

My take: use any excuse that presents itself to avoid putting Darnold behind that O-line. Break his hand with a beer bottle if you have to.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

https://twitter.com/ThisNotDiggs/status/1181314514236649472?s=19

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Don't the exhaustion effects of mono tend to linger? There doesn't seem to be any sense behind letting him back out there if he's still being remotely effected. This isn't a win now situation and there's still games left for him to develop.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

at the same time I'd like to see Sam come back and see if he can make the Jets watchable. Haven't even seen highlights of their last few games because I'm not into snuff films

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Also why in the absolute hell is the giants Patriots game in prime time. loving hell that is horrific

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Don't the exhaustion effects of mono tend to linger? There doesn't seem to be any sense behind letting him back out there if he's still being remotely effected. This isn't a win now situation and there's still games left for him to develop.

They can, but he has seemingly been fine symptoms wise for weeks. I think he was properly sick, i.e. with fatigue, sore throat, etc., during the Bills game and the week or so after. He allegedly looked and moved completely normally at practice last week, though I obviously have no clue what his conditioning is like (for better or for worse).

Basically, every case of mono is very different, and his seems to have been pretty tame symptoms wise (i.e., he wasn’t unable to get out of bed for a month like some people are). It was just the residual shrinking of the spleen that kept him off the field.

If his symptoms are fine and his spleen is fine, he should play. Full stop.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 8, 2019

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Also why in the absolute hell is the giants Patriots game in prime time. loving hell that is horrific

Gonna be at the game, it's going to be a rainy mess of a game.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/bepryor/status/1181607053883785216?s=19

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Professor Funk posted:

Just because you can do something doesnt' mean you should. If he's fresh off a really sucky illness putting him behind a terrible offensive line and risking worse injury as opposed to just waiting a week or two or three (jets arent making the playoffs) is the type of "short term gain, long term risk" thing bad teams do. There is very little point to making him play for you other than for some meaningless wins to hurt your draft position. He does need to play to help him develop that is but why not just be safe. Seriously just sit him to be safe who cares.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Play posted:

it's pretty drat depressing to envision. im thinking a final score of 13-9

gimme all your loving sports franchises, RIGHT NOW

Oakland should hire someone to go reclaim their sports stuff. Wonder if anybody is available with experience in repo work in Vegas...

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Gonna be at the game, it's going to be a rainy mess of a game.

Same bro. :hfive:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

You know I actually like Tomlin and would prefer him coach a team that’s not my team’s arch rival

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AndrewP posted:

You know I actually like Tomlin and would prefer him coach a team that’s not my team’s arch rival

If this were true though you'd want him to coach a team that is not your rival and also not the Skins.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Not that I think Tomlin has any chance to leave the Steelers, but...

Tomlin is well thought of enough that if he got fired, he'd probably have his pick of the available jobs. If the Panthers had faltered I could've seen them as the natural landing spot, but with their turnaround, that's pretty much out.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/1181624570454761474

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

dumbest controversy ever

Play
Apr 25, 2006

sherm was just getting everyone riled up for the game. seems like it worked

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Play posted:

at the same time I'd like to see Sam come back and see if he can make the Jets watchable. Haven't even seen highlights of their last few games because I'm not into snuff films

I also want to see Sam Bradford on the Jets

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Why are Ravens fans talking about replacing Harbaugh

https://twitter.com/Chughes612/stat...e235863882.html

Someone is going to be so disappointed that they hired Eric Bieniemy he's definitely going to be Reid's first flop in the coaching tree.

The true guy you should be hiring is Mike Kafka unfortunately he looks like this

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 8, 2019

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

kiimo posted:

Why are Ravens fans talking about replacing Harbaugh

Where

Also it's at least partially because many of us are stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

sharknado slashfic posted:

Where

Also it's at least partially because many of us are stupid

Kawalimus has been calling for his head since before he was even hired.

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1181382611366633472?s=19

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 8, 2019