Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

sean10mm posted:

I think it's a garbage stat that until this year never rated the Pats especially highly during the season vs just looking at the W/L or something.

I don't know if it does opponent adjustments this early in the season either because hoo boy that should bring the Pats down to earth.

The problem with DVOA this early in the season is that opponent adjustments are only at 50%. They don’t hit 100% until Week 10. Without the “Defense-adjusted” part, the “Value over Average” part is super misleading and useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

fsif posted:

The problem with DVOA is that it's completely opaque and that even a decade in, they're still making things up as they go along.

That was from an article examining whether starting the season with opponent adjustments is a good idea, despite the small sample size. They don’t normally turn adjustments “on” until Week 4.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

kalensc posted:

I'm curious to see what a graph of "Team DVOA by week" would look like. Anyone know if FO provides a full-season data summary somewhere? Or would it need to be manually scraped from their weekly posts.

I know they include a DVOA-by-week graph with each chapter of the almanac. Dunno if it’s on the website.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The twist is that he’s only cleared for emotional contact.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Professor Funk posted:

His spleen is fine that was the entire point of this saga

His spleen is "medically cleared". That's not always the same thing as "fine".

My take: use any excuse that presents itself to avoid putting Darnold behind that O-line. Break his hand with a beer bottle if you have to.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

kiimo posted:

Someone is going to be so disappointed that they hired Eric Bieniemy he's definitely going to be Reid's first flop in the coaching tree.

How quickly we forget Brad Childress.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I dunno if I would watch Dolphins/Redskins for $16 dollars.

They’d have to pay me way more than that :rimshot:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

FYI Bengals are beating the poo poo out of the Dolphins in terms of not going to see their bad team and lovely ownership

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct/order/false

I imagine a lot of that has to do with Miami having a lot of expats. They're not going to see the Dolphins, they're going to see whichever team is going to paste the Dolphins that week.

Meanwhile...I'm not sure who lives in Cincinnati exactly. I know absolutely nothing about it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

CharlestheHammer posted:

But he went 190 days without an infraction is a pretty funny defense

Plays, not days.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bigass Moth posted:

Did you know...the team that scores the most points wins???

You are clearly not a Gruden Grinder.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If you get away with it, it isn’t cheating. It’s gamesmanship.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

fartknocker posted:

Not gonna lie, I spent an embarrassingly long amount of time thinking what would be better options than an IS-3(?) and an M26, or more comedic for the nerds who would care about such things (Like me).

I'm just over here wondering why jousting with tanks never caught on as a sport.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Major Ryan posted:

But that's just if one team forfeits, not both. According to wikipedia actual in-season games haven't been cancelled since the 1930s, with games that physically couldn't be played moved or rescheduled. So there's not really any precedent. Shame, because if the rule was both teams 'lost', we're back at 0-16 all around and all is good with the world.

E: I love that it's a 2-0 win. I guess the smallest winning margin, but if it doesn't count for anything, why bother attaching a score!?

I would die happy if a team forfeited a Week 17 game against a divisional rival, because the lack of points to add to their season total would mean they would miss the playoffs due to the offensive tiebreaker.

A very Belichickian maneuver.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
And roids.

The glory years, where players had more drugs in their bloodstream than actual blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

adaz posted:

as opposed to nowadays where multimillionaires with access to a vast global network of medical professionals definitely aren't. Just avoiding that nightshade amirite

Still a far cry from the days when teams would have candy jars full of amphetamines in the locker room.

ELO Musk posted:

This is stupid. Who else do we have at LB?

Kamu Grugier-Hill, Nate Gerry, and Nigel Bradham are good enough considering the Eagles usually use the Nickel as the base defense. The linebackers have been pretty okay and Brown has done absolutely nothing of note for us, so I'm okay with cutting him.

Just for gods sake, sign or draft some real cornerbacks and another deep threat in the offseason. I'm begging you Howie.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 15, 2019