Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Schedule:

TNF: Giants @ Patriots

Sunday:
Early as gently caress: Panthers @ Buccaneers 9:30am

1pm:
Saints @ Jaguars
Washington @ Dolphins
Texans @ Chiefs
Eagles @ Vikings
Bengals @ Ravens
Seahawks @ Browns

4pm:
49ers @ Rams
Falcons @ Cardinals
Cowboys @ Jets
Titans @ Broncos

SNF: Steelers @ Chargers

MNF: Lions @ Packers - How rare is it when MNF is the best prime time game of the week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Flex Washington @ Dolphins to SNF so we can make Colinsworth suffer.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DVOA loves the Pats because their defense has given up 20 total points in 5 games, which along with scoring 30+ in 4 of 5 games means yeah they're gonna be ranked highly.

They'll come back down to something normal at some point, because you can't play the Dolphins or 3rd string QB's every week, but the defense is still super good.

Gave up 3 to the Steelers, who've scored 20+ in their other 4 games.
Gave up 10 to the Bills, who are averaging 20 in their other games.
and... okay, yeah, there's really nothing to take from blanking the Dolphins or 2 3rd string QB's, come on now.

Anyway, Quick Reads is out: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2019/week-5-quick-reads

quote:

7. Matt Ryan - Sometimes completion percentage can be overrated. Ryan completed all 11 of his passes to his running backs, but for a total of just 85 yards and only two first downs (though one of those was a touchdown).

29. Colt McCoy: I've been writing for Football Outsiders since 2007, and I don't remember ever seeing this split before: McCoy played the entire game for Washington, and he didn't have a single dropback in the opponents' territory. He had one pass at the 50; it was incomplete. On third downs, he went 3-of-7 for 12 yards with one conversion, three sacks, and a fumble. He only threw for five first downs in this game. That's as many as Devlin Hodges produced in 10 dropbacks against Baltimore.

Also Luke Falk had one of the worst games ever by DYAR.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Finally, some intelligent football commentary on tv:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1181584075213160448

Kalli fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 8, 2019

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Well I know what game the VP is going to next.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Also why in the absolute hell is the giants Patriots game in prime time. loving hell that is horrific

Gonna be at the game, it's going to be a rainy mess of a game.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Not that I think Tomlin has any chance to leave the Steelers, but...

Tomlin is well thought of enough that if he got fired, he'd probably have his pick of the available jobs. If the Panthers had faltered I could've seen them as the natural landing spot, but with their turnaround, that's pretty much out.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

EPA isn't my favorite stat, but I love a good graph, so:

The slashes basically represent tier quality of how NFL teams have played this season.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Falcons are kind of amazing. How are they so bad on defense? Washington, the Giants, Cardinals and Bengals all weren't really trying this year, and the Colts are insanely injured, but the Falcons (and Jaguars) both spent an insane amount of money on their defenses, and they're just... bad.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There weren't half of 65k fans for the Pats @ Dolphins game, come on now NFL.

Hmmmmm

https://twitter.com/LJ1303/status/1178355141810020352

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1182040486846095361

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

I missed this during the game. Between this and Hilton, they've had two prime time games where the replay shows they blew the calls and didn't change them on replay. Makes the NFL look bad so we'll either see this stop or the rule just go away

It was with 2 minutes left in the game with the Giants down 21 points 5 minutes after the Giants had surrender punted. They didn't change it because gently caress you for challenging that.

https://twitter.com/kellie_spangler/status/1182508569041747970

Kalli fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 11, 2019

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It was pretty good

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

iospace posted:

Actually, isn't Rodgers the last qb to be drafted in three first round and win a superbowl as the starter?

<Brady> beat #1 overall
<injury fill in for #2 overall pick>
<Brady> beat a 1st rounder
Peyton was #1 overall.
<Brady> beat Wilson
Wilson was a 3rd round pick.
Flacco was a 1st
Eli was #1 overall

So it's more Brady and Wilson otherwise it's all 1st rounders.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Weird how the supposed worst division ever has the 2 best teams in the AFC in it, and a 3rd smoked the Cowboys today.

Guess we know where teams are truly forged in fire.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

adaz posted:

Do you _really_ think the bills are the 2nd best team in the AFC. Be honest.

I was looking up beatpaths! so I could own you with truly advanced analytics, but I see it stopped updating in 2011 and I was immediately struck with how old I am,

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Bills may have a better defense then the Patriots, and a downright lovely offense.

They can basically be the Bears from last season, but it's extremely funny and cool that they're currently 2nd in the AFC and their only loss is to the Patriots. And yeah, they're probably going to be like 8-3 at some point this year.

The actual playoff standings apparently:

AFC
1. Patriots
2. Texans
6. Raiders @ 3. Chiefs
5. Bills @ 4. Ravens

NFC
1. 49ers
2. Saints
6. Vikings @ 3. Packers
5. Seahawks @ 4. Cowboys

Wanna see that Bills - Ravens game.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

adaz posted:

DVOA has them at 3rd but I can see the argument - unlike the Patriots the Bills D usually has to carry games by its lonesome.

Jsut realized that Bills / Cowboys turkey day game is looking a lot better now than it did at the start of the season.

I'm just adjusting with the eye test. Like the Patriots defense is comically stomping teams, but they're playing just plain bad offenses. Like yeah, they're making those offenses look nightmarishly bad, but the Bills are also putting up real good performances against the likes of the Patriots offense and the Jets with Darnold and a Titans O that is alive when facing the Falcons.

I'm just saying we should put some respect on the Bills' D.

Also lol, FO's playoff odds calculator puts the Patriots at over 40% to win the Superbowl after today's games and the Dolphins at 75% to get the #1 pick: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds

Kalli fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 14, 2019