Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

we all love to play a good and fun game, but sometimes, we want our good and fun game to make us feel incredibly uncomfortable!

let us talk spooky scary games, here, in this thread i am currently building.

first off, eternal darkness is the poo poo. if you've never played it it is beyond worth playing. the combat is incredibly satisfying, weapons actually clang off walls if you aren't paying attention and you can chop off heads and stuff. it owns.
the sanity mechanic is one of the coolest things ever and i fully do not understand why no other games have utilized it in this way. sometimes your character like explodes into blood, but sometimes, your volume turns off. or the screen starts attracting a swarm of flies, or your memory card gets deleted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXcajQnasc

sometimes the shin megami tensei games are really spooooooky especially the early early ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n52_MTASVDU

i don't play a lot of horror because i am easily started but i love a good spooky vibe!

which spooky games do you guys like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
I'm going to be replaying Dead Space after I'm done with my current game (FFX).

I also like the whole Fatal Frame series.

cda

by Hand Knit
Uninvited

cda

by Hand Knit
Alone in the Dark

cda

by Hand Knit
The 7th Guest

Heather Papps

hello friend

cda posted:

Alone in the Dark

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

majoras mask is tragic, not horrifying ok

Soul Reaver

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Spooky games I've played:

The 7th Guest
Spooky in the sense of a box full of plastic Halloween masks that were made in China and are being sold half price because the latex contains dangerous levels of lead, but that's still a type of spooky.

System Shock 2
Not so spooky later, but really, genuinely spooky early on when your character is crappy and weak. The bizarre box-headed human character models are particularly unnerving.

Doom 3
Very spooky if you are scared of being in a very dark place while suffering from a crippling brain injury that prevents you from finding a way to hold both a torch and a gun at the same time, so you have to use one or the other

The Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
A very spooky game that transplants Lovecraftian dread into real life as you find yourself poring over ancient forums and readmes, trying arcane solutions in a hopeless struggle against esoteric and unexplainable game-breaking bugs.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
The screen goes blurry, the monsters are scary, and there's a spooky amount of stuff you can pick up and turn around in the air for no real benefit to yourself or anyone really. Especially spooky how much better it is than the sequel.

Clive Barker's Undying
A spooky reminder of how 'being good' and 'being successful' are only related in the most tenuous of ways.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 10, 2019

Elephant Ambush

I forgot about Amnesia. Those are legit scary.

Macnult

i wish p.t. was still available for download. it was that demo for a silent hill game that was scrapped but even for a demo it was absolutely terrifying and did a great job of lowering your guard every single time you promised yourself not to

Heather Papps

hello friend

Macnult posted:

i wish p.t. was still available for download. it was that demo for a silent hill game that was scrapped but even for a demo it was absolutely terrifying and did a great job of lowering your guard every single time you promised yourself not to

ug yes me and some pals played thru it, which is really the only way i could have endured it.

Goons Are Gifts

Macnult posted:

You didn't hear it from me, but there are methods and ways to still obtain a version of it that runs on a personal computer but you know

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I played one not too long ago called Beckett that really unnerved me. Felt like David Lynch doing a point and click adventure. Oxenfree isn't really "scary" per se, but it's got some intense atmospheric moments, sorta a "plucky teens take on spooky poo poo and find themselves: the game". Sunless sea has excellent writing and a lot of the stuff implied in the text is pretty spooky. I ditched Alien Isolation because I hate jump scares.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

harvester

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Echo Night: Beyond

(and not just because you're an astronaut in a space suit the entire time)

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I recently played through Little Nightmares. It has a really creepy almost claymation looking art style. You play this little kid in a rain slicker and you're navigating spooky looking areas that are designed for monstrous looking people who are much larger than you. The atmosphere and the character designs are both excellent. It's less outright scary and more spooky. It's not full of jump scares and I don't remember there being any in the game, but I may be wrong. It's only a few hours long and the story is left pretty open to interpretation. I liked it a lot. It's out on pc/consoles and it's on sale currently on Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOadxZBsPiA

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Elephant Ambush

Reminds me of Inside. That game was fantastic. And it wasn't full of jump scares either. It was atmospheric and creepy and disturbing. Had a great ending too.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Elephant Ambush posted:

Reminds me of Inside. That game was fantastic. And it wasn't full of jump scares either. It was atmospheric and creepy and disturbing. Had a great ending too.

holy poo poo yes this

Heather Papps

hello friend

i hated fallout 4 but the eldritch mission was fun

Macnult

turbotax speed runs

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
the last of us is free on ps plus this month, and I never played it, so I got it

gonna start tonight probably, is it good?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Hugh Malone posted:

the last of us is free on ps plus this month, and I never played it, so I got it

gonna start tonight probably, is it good?

It's very apocalyptic oriented, after the fact try and figure out what happened and do stuff along the way, and kind of sad if I remember right. Very realistic, turn the sound up and expect to be weirded out.

Hopefully that's what you were going for, because it delivers

I never finished it, it weirded me out too much (too sad)

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
sounds cool, am hoping for plenty of creepiness and not just gore...

all my vijeo gaem buddy would tell me is that it's real hard, and to save a bullet for myself lol

Heather Papps

hello friend

the last of us is incredibly powerful art but i mostly loved it as an incredibly satisfying urban combat simulator and stealth arrowing dudes and beating them down with bricks and stuff.

most of the zombie stuff i just ran past cause why

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
ooh, that's cool. I like stealth stuff and taking forever to carefully beat a level.

Elephant Ambush

Last of Us is really good.

A friend has my Dead Space so I started Alien: Isolation and drat. Co-written by Dan Abnett and incredibly scary. Really enjoying it. It has an Amnesia vibe to it because most of the time you're running and hiding instead of fighting.

Heather Papps

hello friend

this may not make sense but i found hotline miami incredibly spooky but in a fun way!
you get to wear masks and the music is so loving good and the violence will still turn your stomach despite being lowfi pixel stuff.

few games have i played that are as satisfying as completing a perfect run of a hotline miami level.

maybe imma be jacket this year hmmmmmmmm

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Elephant Ambush posted:

Last of Us is really good.

A friend has my Dead Space so I started Alien: Isolation and drat. Co-written by Dan Abnett and incredibly scary. Really enjoying it. It has an Amnesia vibe to it because most of the time you're running and hiding instead of fighting.

Hopefully I can play it tonight, got to figure out what's going on. I was able to start a game over the weekend, but I didn't get out of the first room because I didn't have time. Tried to load the game last night, and the file is corrupted. It seems like this was a problem for a lot of people cross platform with discs and download

Already tried deleting it and re-downloading it last night and no go

Perhaps my copy is... Haunted?

Phyein

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
7th Guest was pretty awesome and definitely a bit scary to my 10 yr old self. I always felt a bit on edge every time it was time to tackle the basement maze

Phyein

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
Also how has Silent Hill 2 not been mentioned yet

Legit scary minus the "forced" vibe of almost all other horror I wish I could explain what I mean here, the atmosphere is just quiet and surreal and depressing the whole way through without any unscary corny modern horror cliches (i.e. the jump scare you can feel coming from about a minute away complete with loud swelling dissonant strings, there's jump scares in the game but completely out of nowhere and they feel very organic, like they weren't even planned to be a jump scare, they just do scare you)

Scaly Haylie

while not a bone-chiller by any means, this seems like the right time to recommend haunting, a perennial rental fave for young lizwiz. in it, you well...........haunt a family of rich assholes because daddy rear end in a top hat's megacorp sold a horrifically unsafe skateboard that was responsible for your death.

gameplay is relatively simple, if unique - you wander around a house freely (though on a room-by-room basis) trying to track down the family members so that you can encourage their worldly possessions to spook 'em good until they leave in terror. if you've got an emulator, it's definitely worth trying at least once.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Lizard Wizard posted:

gameplay is relatively simple, if unique - you wander around a house freely (though on a room-by-room basis) trying to track down the family members so that you can encourage their worldly possessions to spook 'em good until they leave in terror. if you've got an emulator, it's definitely worth trying at least once.

holy poo poo thanksgiving indeed! gonna check this bad boy out!

Elephant Ambush

Lizard Wizard posted:

while not a bone-chiller by any means, this seems like the right time to recommend haunting, a perennial rental fave for young lizwiz. in it, you well...........haunt a family of rich assholes because daddy rear end in a top hat's megacorp sold a horrifically unsafe skateboard that was responsible for your death.

Haha this owns thanks for sharing.

Scaly Haylie

Heather Papps posted:

holy poo poo thanksgiving indeed! gonna check this bad boy out!

eager for your trip report!

SwimmingSpider

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
i think the first Five Nights At Freddy's game is legit oen fo the best horror games ive ever played and its kind of a bummer how much those games fell apart

nut

operating the self checkout w a line up behind u

Heather Papps

hello friend

nut posted:

operating the self checkout w a line up behind u

if the controls weren't touchscreen based this poo poo would be so much easier

Heather Papps

hello friend

Lizard Wizard posted:

eager for your trip report!

i found a rom finally but i've never bothered to emulate sega games before, but it turns out like 3 of the emulators i have can run sega games, just gotta play it now.

seeeeeeeeeeeegaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

seeeeeeeeeeeegaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

mednafen won't stop crashing someone pm me a good emu for segas maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

just spent maybe a half hour playing this and it rules. i need to find a manual but i think i bruteforced the mechanics and this game was way ahead of it's time, and made me realize geist wasn;t as groundbreaking as i thought!

geist was a quickly forgotten gamecube game where you are basically a metal gear ghost. you can possess inanimate objects, then use said objects to scare humans, who you can then possess and do fps stuff with. it's really neat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zTDqWOzRVw