Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I kind of took this as an instance similar to meeting Shigaraki in the mall. Even if they had been able to get Eri away safely short-term, Overhaul wouldn't have let them go quietly and starting a fight in the middle of the street with a top-tier villain puts alot of people at risk and Overhaul could kill a loving lot of people really quickly if he wanted to.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The thing is that Overhaul isn't a complete psychotic nihilist like Shigaraki- he's a planning kind of a guy with a rigid organization and so far has made an effort to still be able to act as a civilian. Shiggy would've thrown down the microsecond it looked like they weren't going to turn Eri over- Overhaul tried to get them out of sight.

Letting them get away with her isn't really an option for him though. She knows too much about him and his operation to risk her talking to heroes. It would probably be over for him if that happened anyway. Plus it's not like they knew what kind of person he was.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

There are theories of course that he hasn't appeared yet because Horikoshi is setting up a big reveal for Deku's dad like that he's a villain. Given how much he loves Star Wars the leading crackpot theory is that he'll be All for One for the Vader reference and fire-breathing is just one of his quirks.

His name was dropping in an omake and is (spoilered just in case?) Hisashi and since Horikoshi loves puns his name basically translates to "It's been a while since I saw you".

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 27, 2019

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Shyrka posted:

I do like how contact quirks like that are 'always on' and you can always see how Uraraka folds her fingers inwards to keep the pads from touching stuff/people when she doesn't want to use her quirk and Shigaraki always makes sure to keep one finger daintily lifted off of whatever he's touching. It makes them feel a lot more real than it just being a case of only triggering when they both touch something and consciously choose to use the quirk.

Uraraka wears mittens to bed too so that she doesn't accidentally float her whole bedroom in her sleep. Horikoshi is pretty on the ball about these kinds of neat details.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I like that even with being a super shy guy, Suneater gets pretty hosed up in this fight and doesn't even care. His quirk really is kind of OP and you can see why he's in the Big Three.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Pakled posted:

His quirk is powerful, but it's not like it's just naturally powerful. We saw him in middle school struggling to grow a single normal-sized bean sprout from his hand. To go from there, to strong enough to get into UA, to where his power is now must have taken some pretty serious training. He's clearly put a lot of work into it.

Oh I didn't mean it in a bad way. Mirio is also OP and similarly its because his quirk becomes nigh unbeatable once fully mastered. I just meant that you can see why this guy is in the top 3 of all UA students.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Does Suneater need to fully consume the food or is just licking it enough?

He's free to use it until he digests it, so presumably it needs to have reached his stomach or be swallowed at least.

I wonder if he got his arm cut off, could he bite his cheek or swallow some of his own blood and 'manifest' himself to regrow the arm? Or maybe he can always become himself because he's always swallowing his own saliva? Hmm.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's absolutely nothing saying he can't turn his insides into stuff he's eaten so maybe he just turned himself into something that can digest crystal.

...Whatever the hell that is.

Dragon.

Dragongirl gives him a scale or something.

(alternatively he just asks Mirio for the assist in pulling it out)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Remember that Toga was kind of clowning on Deku when she was posing as Camie in the license exam, seemingly through sheer skill and speed. She's clearly been hitting the same gym that Mr 'Flashstep' Shigaraki goes to.

Her losing to Uraraka is the outlier if anything, though she wasn't really taking her seriously at the time.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Fat gums trick is that you think he's Blob but actually he's Sebastian Shaw

Also I imagine that with a lot of the pro heroes with esoteric quirks, they initially thought they had much simpler natures until they trained them up to the level they are now - we see a bit of this with Tamaki, who went into UA with a seemingly very limited quirk and didn't really figure out how to make it terrifying until he spent years training it up so be able to express it at its absolute limits, in ways you'd never think he could just judging from his middle school self.

Mirio as well. Intangibility is cool on its own, but working out that going tangible while inside of something essentially teleports you and can be aimed really brings it to the next level. Theres a lot you can do with even simple quirks by taking advantage of the mechanics behind them and high levels of mastery.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I heard that they're splitting focus between the season and the movie which could be why the animation has been pretty lacking (Nighteye vs Overhaul was half speedlines ffs).

Next episode should have some crazy sakuga.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Maybe Nighteye was right. Maybe Mirio should've been the protagonist.....

Quirkless Mirio did better against Chisaki than Nighteye and Deku combined. He's the real deal.

That said Deku is one of my favorite protags in shounen. Calling him boring is ignoring that a part of his personality is 'a loving lunatic without self-preservation instincts.' I'll admit he can be a bit bland sometimes but when he goes intense he goes hard. His fights vs Todoroki and Muscular are some of my favorites of all time.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's kind of funny that Nighteye somehow saw Deku lose this fight considering what an absolute murder-stomp it turned out to be. Vengeful God Deku is the scariest thing in the show so far.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think its possible for both things to be true. Chisaki does seem to honestly care about his adoptive father as we do see him looking up to him in flashbacks but his obsession clearly got the better of him and he convinced himself that it was all for his step-dads best interests while going further and further off the deep end. Chisaki just sees his will as the only one that matters and refuses to compromise. You can see in his flashbacks that its not the first time he overstepped his place and acted outside of the Boss's wishes. I think he did start out wanting to revive the Yakuza but then at some point the possibilities of what Eri meant for his worldview became more important.

Its similar to how Stain has some genuinely good criticisms of Hero culture and does have a pretty good idea of what it means to be truly heroic but his fanaticism turned him into an uncompromising psycho and his original good intentions warped out of control.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Its worth noting that Toga also wants to kill Stain and then become him, because she's just that kind of crazy gal. She doesn't care about his ideology specifically, she just wants him for his body in the most literal sense possible. She joined the League to get closer to that and also because its tough for her to be herself in polite society.

Toga's interesting in that her Quirk seems to have radically affected her personality, since she's obsessed with peoples blood and with transforming into people she's attracted to. No other character revolves around their quirk to the same extent iirc.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I do appreciate how the last arc was centered around Deku saving and befriending a child, and now Bakugo has decided to just blow up a bunch of kids.

I wonder how Bakugo would've handled the whole Eri situation, now that I think about it.

After Deku met Shigaraki in the mall, Bakugo tells him that he should have just gone 100% and killed him* regardless of the consequences or risks.

So... probably something like that.

* this is the one time I think Bakugo was being literal when he talks about killing someone.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Honestly, even though the series tries to act as if Bakugo is a serious rival to Deku who seemingly has the edge right now.... he kind of isn't. Deku has accomplished so many more feats of heroism than him and IMO if you put Bakugo into the majority of Deku's big moments he'd fail to replicate them.

Bakugo would have tried something stupid and died in the mall, he wouldn't impress Stain and would get killed, Muscular would have destroyed him and Overhaul would destroy him and escape with Eri. Theres a reason he's in supplemental courses atm. Bakugo is one of the shittiest heroes in the class.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Bakugou is at the top of the class and the only thing holding him back at all is how he carries himself. That's the only thing. Deku pushed himself past his known limit the last time they fought and Bakugou was prepared to adjust for that. The kid is absolutely bonkers.

Yeah he's in this supplemental class, but he's only in it due to how he handled the rescue test, the same test that had the "victims" comment that Bakugou immediately recognized the more serious injuries from the less so, but screwed up by being an asshead.

It's fair to argue he'd struggle against Overhaul, but so did literally everyone except Lemillion.

He's good at fighting and thats about it. He lost the first training fight against Deku because he went nuts with his inferiority complex and would have torpedo'd the practical exam if Deku hadn't of punched some sense into him. He also got his rear end kicked in the license exam by Meatboy and had to have Kaminari bail him out, right before bombing the rescue portion. He also accomplished nothing in the camp battle compared to Deku who took down Muscular and was instrumental in the defeats of Spinner and Moonfish even with his arms shattered.

The only thing he's really accomplished is winning the Sports Festival, which even he doesn't recognise as a real victory. I guess he sneak attacked Kurogiri once too. He hasn't accomplished a single heroic thing the whole series and like I said, he'd fail at pretty much every step of Deku's path.

Don't get me wrong he has a lot of potential as a hero, but him failing the license exam was completely fair. My point is basically that the series acts as if Deku is trying to surpass him when really Deku is already a way better hero than him.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 1, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Adder Moray posted:

One on One, Overhaul doesn't make it to round two against Bakugo. Explosions kinda don't miss the way a kick to the head does.

No way. Bakugo could barely keep up with Deku going 8%. Overhaul called 20% Deku a noob and beat him in under a minute.

Todoroki also managed to grab and throw Bakugo in their fight. If that was Overhaul, he'd get Magne'd instantly.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

There really aren't too many guns in Japan so I doubt its that much of an issue. Plus like CharlestonJew said, this is a universe where people without physically-enhancing quirks like Shigaraki can move fast enough to flash step and Sir Nighteye can throw a paperweight hard enough to blow Rappa into a wall.

I kind of assume that being able to beat a random thug with a gun is a prerequisite to being a real pro-hero.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I never doubted that Tobi would be Obito and I'll never doubt Dad for One theories or Dabi Todoroki.

Dad for One is a popular theory that's mostly built off of circumstantial evidence and gut feeling. That said, people saying it can't be true because some omakes and guidebooks say otherwise are being naive.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The only way to prevent her son from crippling himself..... is to cripple him herself. :black101:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

BABY BEAAAAM

I've heard people curious what the chaos looked like when quirks first emerged, but now I'm curious about the armageddon that'll break out when a few more generations pass and quirks are too nuts for anyone to control

The Quirk Singularity Doomsday theory is one of the most intriguing aspects of the setting imo. Imagine how crazy the next Eri will be in 80 years. I like how it kind of ties into Aoyamas thing too, with him being someone whose own quirk negatively affects him and can't be controlled.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

For the record, in the manga Gentle only asked for ten 1000 yen bills while robbing that store which is about $90. The fact that he brought a entire briefcase for 10 bills and then forgot it always makes me smile at what a total goober he is.

Still a threat though, he did kick the poo poo out of 5 pro-heroes.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The plotline with Aoyama was supposed to trick you into suspecting he's the traitor, only to turn it around to him being just kind of a wierdo (but also, what was that odd look afterwards???).

It didn't work as well without the solid week of freaking out that the manga readers got.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mineta's line from this episode is IMO his worst moment in the series and is definitely completely inexcusable. I was also really hoping that they'd cut it.

If it makes people feel better though I don't remember anything else too bad from him from now on so maybe this was the moment Horikoshi decided to dial it back. God knows it warrants it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

To add to this, I like how there are real stakes to this villain succeeding, even as goofy and non threatening as he is

Yeah even outside of the festival getting called off, if UA gets successfully invaded again after the police told them not to risk it then you can imagine there will be dire repercussions for the school.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Man, Gentle is easily my favorite 'villain' in MHA and I wish there was a spin-off based on him.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Eh, you don't have to care about people personally to want to save them and be a hero. Just look at Endeavour! Gentle pursues noble goals because he wants to set up his big antihero persona so he can follow his "legendary hero" ambition while on a villain's career path.

I'm going by his attitude toward cancelling UA's festival - he doesn't care even slightly how much distress he'd cause to the kids, and isn't at all moved by Izuku talking about Eri's situation. He just doesn't care, because none of that factors into being a Big Hero.

I'd say it's more accurate that Gentle is someone who can justify his crimes to himself so they don't bother him. At his core it is about realising his dream of becoming a great man of history but you can see the pattern. He only commits crimes that he can justify as anti-heroism, he avoids violence and confrontation as much as he can and when La Brava expresses concern over crashing the festival he claims that he's doing it to give the school a wake up call which will obviously help them in the end! He pursues his dream but he does so in as gentlemanly a way as possible because he isn't really a bad person and doesn't want to hurt anyone.

When Deku does bring up that he's going to ruin the efforts and joy of all the students his justification this time is that his dream isn't just his own anymore and that he owes it to La Brava to succeed. Rather than the abstract happiness of a bunch of people he's never met or doesn't have any context for (Eri), La Brava actually is someone he cares a lot about and he really does want to justify her belief in him. By the end of the fight though he realises that La Brava truly is the most important thing to him, more than his dream, and he finally makes the right choice to take responsibility and protect her as much as he can.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Shyrka posted:

The new number one hero getting killed by a villain the day after he attained the spot would've had some powerful dystopic energy, not gonna lie. I liked the newswoman's freaking out over how they're all hosed without a symbol too, really felt like it might go there, but it's not that kind of show.

I remember that the chapter ended right after Endeavor got hosed, with High End standing over him and people were speculating for a week over whether he was actually going to get killed off and jump start the downfall of hero society.

Bare in mind too, this was just one nomu.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not really, Endeavor is pretty clear on how this is very much not just one Nomu but THE Nomu, with intelligence that none of the previous ones had and far more power and speed, even surpassing the Number One Hero. High-End is no joke, being way above the Black Nomu All Might fought, which itself is several steps above the white/grey Nomus that are just cannon fodder.

Oh for sure, but what I meant was that its something that was manufactured and could therefore be replicated or improved upon. That it was stronger than the previous strongest one just goes to show how dangerous it is that whoever is making them is able to continue.

For me, the idea that this was just something the villains can potentially bring out now was terrifying. The number 1 and 2 heroes working together barely scraped a win against it. Endeavor lost an eye. What happens next time?

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 4, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yes. Look forward to Endeavor having to team up with a teenage clone of himself and a guy who is on fire to fight against cyborg-Endeavor.

This is the anime thread.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I know guys, I've read the manga. It was a joke. Cyborg-Endeavor sadly is not a real thing.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Shyrka posted:

Yeah I was pretty confused by the Hawks picture in the ED throughout this series but then seeing him use his feathers to rescue people in the building that he couldn't directly see during the battle it made sense.

Embarrassingly enough, I've only just noticed myself that modern day Hawks wears headphones. It makes me wonder how much he relies on his feathers to sense things instead of his basic 5 senses.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Bakugo with Deku’s personality and vice versa.

I'll do you one better:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Augus posted:

give Toru OFA

I second this motion. Imagine being a villain and suddenly a ball of green lightning charges at you and kicks the poo poo out of you in a completely incomprehensible way. I'd reform right there.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

I still want to see a story where Deku goes full Iron Man/Batman to be a hero instead of getting OFA, but I heard there's a spin-off character who does that or something?

One of the characters in Vigilantes is just a really buff quirkless dude who uses knuckledusters to beat the poo poo out of criminals. There's even a bit where (early-spoilers) he gets into a fight with Aizawa about being a vigilante who realises he doesn't have a quirk and just lets him go. Because I guess regular vigilantism isn't something heroes can deal with if its not involving quirks or something?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So an earlier poser reminded me that the Hero Rankings aren't just about power which is a fact I often overlook because the relationship between All Might #1 and Endeavor #2 is explicitly all about power levels. That said, I'm fairly certain Endeavor is absolutely the strongest Pro other than All Might, isn't he?

He's the strongest in Japan currently, although one hero, Mirko, may be on his level.

Also quirks are getting stronger with each generation so the current crop of UA students have some really strong quirks even compared to most pro's.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

All Might is the exception in having a secret identity because if he didn't All for One would have immediately murdered him in his sleep. Other heroes have public identities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

But even allowing for that, Toga isn't anything special in terms of combat. As I noted earlier, rewatching Season 4 and I'm looking at her attack Izuku and Aizawa and Izuku should totally be capable of pulping her head with one blow. He wouldn't because good guy but the point is he's so ludicrously faster and stronger than her taht he should have totally taken her out in a split second.

Remember that Toga was the one posing as Camie during the license exam, so she was the one who was so fast that Deku speculated she could teleport right before she had him pinned to the ground in momentary defeat. Like Bakugo she is inexplicably fast as gently caress and can disappear like a ninja if she wants to.

Shigaraki is also ridiculously fast. He basically teleported over to Deku, Tsuyu and Mineta when he tried to kill them and it appeared that he was about to dust Overhual before he could do anything which forced a human shield to jump between them.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 8, 2020