Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The upcoming arc loving rules IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The new OP has a great song but feels weirdly disjointed and unfinished in the visuals IMO, which is a little disappointing. New ED loving owns tho.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bakugo mellows out a lot after like a month at UA where even the kids he could still beat up if he really wanted to are too hardcore to be that scared of him and I think the way it plays out is genuinely pretty believable and interesting, IMO

He's still far from being a decent guy, don't get me wrong, but he's interesting to watch and bouncing off of him gives Deku more texture than he would have otherwise. The story is better for having Bakugo in it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I wonder if there's something more than production matters behind that - I could have sworn that I read somewhere that Bones had already finished the whole first cour of this season.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

One where Uraraka got the power

*spits my drink all over my monitor* WANT

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I thought they'd mentioned at some point that AfO is actually, literally immortal? Or at least so durable as to be effectively so.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zwiebel posted:

I'm pretty certain that the way the encounter resolves is supposed to feel lovely. You're supposed to feel terrible about this.
It's incredibly lovely, but it's plausible and that's what makes it suck so much. Overhaul has plenty of plausible deniability.
He's organized crime, he knows how to do his poo poo in a way that ties the hands of law enforcement.

It also serves to highlight that despite all the (deserved) hype Mirio gets, he just doesn't have the same clarity of purpose and larger than life vision that Deku has, even if he's still a big deal on his own and a good guy through and through. Mirio jokes that he doesn't have to save everyone, just a million is enough. Deku absolutely has to save everyone within reach and gets unsettled and restless when he can't. He blew up his own arms at the training camp, kept running until collapsing from exhaustion and immediately walked back into the lions den after regaining conciousness, because he was heartbroken over not being able to save his childhood bully. He jeopardizes his own chances as asserting himself as a great hero at the school festival, which has been his lifelong dream, because at that moment he had to help Todoroki. Deku runs face first into a sludge monster, because he has to try helping that rear end in a top hat that bullies him.

Mirio moves along with the plans Nighteye comes up with, Deku moves because he needs to help someone.
All Might was right.

Yes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

....I wonder what Nana's quirk was...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also, I mean

I wouldn't say the way any of the scenes are framed are authoritatively, authorially framing Nighteye's strategy as Obviously Right relative to Deku's immediate instincts.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh hey, look at that, the text explicitly validated Deku's instincts to save Eri and explicitly categorized Mirio's play to wait for a better moment as a mistake - albeit a reasonable one brought on by lack of intel. Who could have predicted

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...poo poo, now I kinda wanna see him in Fire Force.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

deku's smart enough that he could have been a vigilante without a quirk (just batman that poo poo), but he had pretty much given up already

In fairness, Deku's also missing a few billion dollars for that route.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Quirkless Deku teams up with Mei after she gets kicked out of school for reckless inventing, together they solve crime

I'll allow it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I do like how Overhaul's power is basically just a more powerful version of Scar's arm from Fullmetal Alchemist

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ATP_Power posted:

Overhaul absolutely has one of the most broken quirks in the show so far. More versatile than Shiggy's, but just as destructive.

Probably more destructive, right? Shiggy seems to need to keep a hold on you for at least a second for the decay to do too much damage. Overhaul just needs one good slap and you're a smear on the wall.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Remember that Overhaul goon Shiggy dusted during their first meeting at the start of the season? He just touched him and he instantly fell apart. Only reason Eraserhead survived during the USJ attack is because he erased his quirk just in time.

Ohhhh, duh, I hadn’t considered that

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also worth remembering that we've only seen All For One in extremely poor health post-All Might Administered Skull Crusher. Reasonable enough to assume he might have been more adventurous and experimental with his stolen quirks back when his body wasn't threatening to quit on him.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I got the impression that it's a pretty involved procedure, not something he can use off-handedly as a combat move. Seems like he would have probably stolen Endeavor's at least when he showed up to assist All Might if it were that simple.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Onmi posted:

And how would that help? He needs to hold the tools, so his hand needs to be solid, which means there still needs to be an incision, which means there's no added benefit for Mirio doing it than anyone else doing it. Like I know there's a desire to hot take every hero with "Wow you could do so much good if you used your powers for X instead." But no Mirio has no additional benefit as a surgeon than anyone else.

I guess if you desperately need someone to reach inside of you and move your heart *slightly to the right* and then remove their hand without introducing any foreign matter or actually taking anything out of you, Mirio's your boy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

His hand would need to be solid to move the heart so no.

He could maybe do it if he makes his hand intangible, inserts it, and then makes it tangible again EXCEPT for the precise part of his wrist that's intersecting with skin! ...Maybe.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

The issue with Stain is that that Iida actually went and sought him out.

Yeah, and I think even with the others the issues was less that they used their powers and more that they were actively attempting to fight stain and not simply flee.

Like I'm pretty sure if Todoroki had simply surfed an ice wave away from Stain at full speed, it wouldn't have been an issue (assuming obvious things like he doesn't accidentally freeze a person or do some crazy property damage)

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 14, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Remember that the only reason Deku didn't run right away was because he couldn't carry both Iida and Native. If it was just Iida in trouble, he would have just grabbed him and booked it as fast as he could.

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying the kids *should* have cut and run in that situation, just that I got the impression that it was them being a bunch of kids trying to fight a serious villain that almost got them into legal trouble moreso than just the quirk usage.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This episode was obviously great for Kirishima, but I was really pleasantly surprised to see Mina of all characters get some quietly very good material too. So many good kids in this show.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Hard Boy/Slug Girl OTP

I always thought she was supposed to be more of a moth

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I like how they instantly figured out it was a fake Rock Lock and didn't fall into that stupid trope.

The show handled it basically perfectly IMO - the ruse is obvious enough that it only confuses the heroes for a second, but that second is still dangerous when it's enough to make you turn your back on a psychopath with a knife.

Really looking forward to Angry Face Mirio next ep.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mirio's a good kid IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's a little weird to me how conservative this season's been, especially visually tbh. I heard a lot in the runup to this season about how much better the team's production schedule was this time than it was for like Season 3, and while it's kinda showing in some regards - the story boards and character art are probably as good as the show's had so far - they really haven't even attempted anything as dynamic and ambitious in terms of flowing animation as, like, Deku vs Muscular, let alone any of the show's more famous highlights.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I dunno when most of this was produced- the scheduling was really good but they were producing the movie too for part of this.

Maybe that's why. Makes as much sense as anything else I can think of.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The pacing of this episode was weird as gently caress, yeah. It kept interrupting itself right when it was starting to build some momentum, and I honestly have no idea what they were doing with a lot of the musical choices. The directing and editing has just been really bizarre in general in these last few episodes. I don't blame it on the arc, either, I actually really liked this stretch in the manga.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah as bummed as I am about the pacing of it all that cut - along with a few of the others where they'd actually let the characters loving fight each other for more than a couple of frames - was rad as poo poo. Deku blasting Overhaul out of his JRPG Final Boss form would have been a stand-up-and-cheer moment if I had just liked the buildup more.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kung Food posted:

These tweets explain it best:
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1165347218401792000

The original studio bailed, so they found the only crap studio who wasn't busy at the time, who then outsourced to an even worse studio.

I'd also emphasize that, even beyond the quality of the studios in question, the kind of production schedule those tweets describe is utter dogshit - bad even by the anime industry's generally low standards. Time and talent - not money - are generally the most critical resources for a successful production, and the best studios in the business would struggle to go from nothing to putting together a full season of quality shounen in that kind of timeframe.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

Skinny Fat Gum might if Eri were constantly rewinding him to a previously fatter condition.

Fat Gum with an infinite/instantly renewable supply of fat to convert into punches is just All Might with an inflation fetish

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Key point: Monoma would have to touch AfO to Copy him, and Monoma is way too chickenshit for that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mirio didn't get the Sakuga he deserved, but there's still hope for Jirou :unsmith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Spinner maybe, but Magne had a rapsheet we were told of by Tiger. "Guility of nine armed robberies, three murders, and twenty-nine attempted murders."

Well, we don't know that she hadn't already fallen in with the league before they steered her towards those particular crimes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

giran only began scouting after stain's rebellion, magne wouldn't have had nearly enough time to build a record like that

hell, her rapsheet was probably half the reason giran scouted her in the first place

Ah, I'd forgotten, but yeah she was explicitly brought in during that recruiting wave wasn't she?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah Stain's whole deal was taking a kernel of a perfectly reasonable idea - "A true hero shouldn't be distracted by personal interests like fame, money, or personal feelings when other people's lives are on the line" and running with it all the way to "If you have even the faintest moment of weakness or self-interest while working as a pro hero then I will paint the walls with your intestines."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bakugo vs Stain would be kind of interesting, though. Bakugo's power makes him really hard to approach, which makes him kind of a poor matchup for Stain - and while he's a hothead, he's not stupid in a fight, so it wouldn't be easy for Stain to force him into a mistake.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just saw the movie, it's a real good time. Puts the cast to great use, a lot of the b- and c-listers get to have at least one if not a couple of moments where they punch way above their weight at a surprising moment. Spends a lot of time riffing on a lot of the starry-eyed "heroism as a public service" idealism I've always considered the series' best written material, too. The spoiler talk is mostly overrated, all it amounts to is brief glimpses of a few characters we haven't met yet and a vague allusion to a thing that will happen to Deku later. Highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I liked the Kirishima back story, it fleshed him out a great deal.