Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Deku continuing to respect and admire bakugo is an interesting expression of his personal neuorsies and values, and I think he is a richer character for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I hope when they grow up, they work towards a healthier relationship.

They are currently in the process of doing this

It's still not very healthy but they are both actively growing

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's a little odd that he doesn't just keep a regen type quirk around all the time but if he did that there wouldnt really be a plot so :shrug:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Adder Moray posted:

They aren't common.

Yeah but he had like 6 generations to find one right?

Guess at some point after quirk #80 he just figured he was functionally invincible anyways and wasn't really actively looking

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want to see how all for one does quirk transfers. It clearly isn't some instant thing he can do by like, just touching someone, as presumably if it was he's have just taken one for all

The nomus were in weird vats but I dunno if that's purely part of the nomu-making process or if it's related to the quirk transfering at all

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

He could take the energy storing quirk though right? Or does one for all protect all quirks the user has?

I guess it let's you be given quirks but doesn't let them be stolen?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

mirio's body language and movement got some pretty nice attention, it was fun just watching him move in that scene, and really sold how much better he was at handling the situation than deku

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't remember last season too well. is mirio aware that he was supposed to be all might's successor? i wonder what he thinks of that whole situation

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i guess someone must've spoiled it for me at some point then. oh well

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Edit it out of what posts? the audience and viewpoint character have been made overtly aware of It many times over by this point, why would i spoiler any posts in this thread now?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Deku is pretty dang fast. I feel like just because you can see him coming doesn't mean you can move your body fast enough to dodge!

i think it's fair to say that someone who is presumably in the top 5 most powerful villians we've seen on screen maybe shouldn't be dismissed so quickly in a combative scenario

i don't like this idea that the two of them should've simultaneously wordlessly gambled both of their lives against an enemy they know nothing about is like, a total no brainer or really simple or whatever. like whether or not you agree with mirio's (and eventually deku's) choice the reasons why it's a difficult and complex one are obvious

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean, putting your rear end on the line is lierally in the job description.

there's obviously a difference between that basic concept and the situation they were in

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, the conflict between doing the right thing and doing the smart thing and how much a hero needs to lean to either side and what the drawbacks of each are is a consistent theme. That's sort of my point, it seems dumb and lame to casually dismiss either side of it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I really like how characters like nighteye and mirio aren't being presented negatively for taking the smart attitude towards hero work. Nighteye comes across as a tragic guy who really wanted to stop his hero from self destructing but his only power is knowing ahead of time that it'll definitely happen. Him pleading for all might to retire comes across as pretty sympathetic, when it'd be so easy and obvious to present him as a guy coldly and emotionlessly laying out the logical facts.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Are some people's quirks incredibly boring stuff like "my skin gets less itchy than the average person" or something? I kind of figured quirk implied something more... impactful.

we just met a guy who's incredibly dangerous quirk was "can make a 5 inch boxcutter come out of his skin"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty sure the subtext was it was a fantasy for deku, the same way a kid might want to grow up to be a lawyerdoctorscientist. It wasnt actually going to happen, and if you really pressed him on it he probably knew that, until all might stepped in and made it possible

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Bakugo's personality and having an immensely powerful quirk are pretty well intertwined with each other. If bakugo was quirkless, he'd be a very different person as a result.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah bakugo is aggressive and direct but he's also very analytical. It's part of what makes him interesting, he's a jerk and he's very aggressive but he's not at all a meathead. he's very smart but he directs that intelligence differently than deku does.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what episode couldn't

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

TheBystander posted:

This had me realize something about All For One: he can take any quirk he wants, but won't necessarily be any good at using it. Do you think if he took Suneater's power, he'd be able to manifest anything better than a sprout? If he took Mirio's, would he get stuck in walls? Not to mention All For One didn't seem like someone who would want to get naked just to use a quirk.

This makes me think that for all his power, All For One is lazy. He has tens, perhaps hundreds of quirks: would he want to deal with ones that require practice to master, or ones with strange flaws or requirements? Easier to just find and stock up on the ones that are obviously and immediately powerful, which is why when he had his big fight last season, he most stuck to the fundamentals: strength increasing, air blasts, etc. Nothing weird, wacky or unexpected, because it'd be too much of a hassle.

On the other hand, from what we've seen with Deku, the power of One for All is overwhelming, but requires considerable, constant training to use. If Deku slacks off in his exercise, his new quirk could tear him apart. It's an interesting difference that might help explain how All For One lost in the first place: he just doesn't have the drive of a bearer of One for All.

well, presumably if he finds a cool enough quirk he might keep it around. afterall, what we saw wasn't his only bag of tricks: it was a specific configuration of abilities. pretty sure either him or all might said that his fighting style was completely different form when they fought before? dude is definitely mostly interested in powers that don't take years of work but i dunno if i'd really call him lazy. he's just optimizing his power stealing: why have one very good quirk that takes forever to make useful, when you could have 50 pretty good quirks that require 0 effort? he's probably spending however much time he has not running a criminal underground on learning how best to combine quirks effectively

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm kinda wondering about that. "He only has the embers of one for all left" was a thing that was said repeatedly but like, it still seemed like basically all his difficulty came from his wounds rather than that. Months later he was still strong enough to (barely) rip all for one to shreds, if all might hadn't been so previously wounded previously I'm not sure I see much reason to believe that he wouldnt have remained in peak condition even after handing the quirk off to deku

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what happens when you eat rocks

i'm like 90% certain your body can't digest that, does it just rip right through you until it comes out the other end? does your body start inducing vomiting later? what are the repercussions of the little trick he pulled

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

imagine a world where mirio pursued a career as a surgeon instead

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

He'd be a hell of a covert operative

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It feels like this is the 8th time we've had the quirks are allowed in broader society convo but drat man, chill out

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Do we ever see nonhero background characters using or displaying quirks? Like do crowd shots include people with "I'm half fish" quirk?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

imagine how much poo poo would get in your eyes while you tried to do any of that

imagine getting into an accident while biking with your eyeball tucked behind your ear, and falling onto your eye

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is joint friction actually the thing keeping me from being an unbeatable punch master

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I like the freaky bird masks

They've done a really good job of sticking to the motif while also giving every character a fairly distinct design within the motif

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I was surprised to see eraserhead get chumped like that. Obviously there was a surprise attack angle and not knowing his opponent's capabilities, but my understanding was his whole deal was disabling his opponent's quirks, then beating the poo poo out of them because he's essentially specialized for an effectively quirkless vs quirkless duel. Girl With Knife must be pretty drat good at knifing to get the easy shank in on him like that, didnt he throw down against dozens of villains at once during the initial league of villains appearance?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

I vaguely remember having this exact same conversation before during the Stain fight who also had a quirk that shouldn't make him a better fighter.

stain's quirk is incredibly deadly. he's "not a better fighter" until he hits you exactly once. and then you lose. which makes him a much better fighter

less versatile than like, shigaraki or overload, but it's not the same as aizawa's "level the playing field" quirk, or toga's quirk which is purely subterfuge

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if toga counts then stain does too right?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What I really like about the miro fight is you get to see the effect of his tutelage under nighteye, and it seems like subtext to me that this was a substantial part of why he was able to fight overhaul quirkless. He spends the entire fight 1 step ahead of overhaul and two other powerful villians and the only reason he doesnt completely curbstomp them is because he also has to juggle protecting a child on top of the 3v1. And he's doing it by reading them, predicting their movements, and quickly finding the most efficient action he can take, which is also exactly how nighteye has been shown to fight. Nighteye can beat opponents many times stronger than him just by predicting their moves: he's effectively quirkless outside of that, and mirio put in the same position performs pretty well himself.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

They haven't really gone all out with the animation in a fight yet this season

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

mirio carried the previous episode really loving hard and neither midoriya or nighteye stepped up to the plate this time around

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

it's surprising how much less compelling midoriya's character becomes when he's not exploding his skeleton in every fight

At some point deku is going to get to a level of power somewhat approaching that of all might and every fight is either going to go the one punch man route (the fight ends when the main character shows up) or the endless escalation to maintain the feeling of tension and threat will make everything really stupid

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Really the only question I have left about this arc is "if deku gets hit by the quirk erasing bullets, does one for all die or does the can't be stolen property negate the bullet"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If they get the drop on him I guess that's an issue but like, all might can kill people by punching in their direction from a couple blocks away

Early in the show deku weaponized all might power flicking

Once he can flick without breaking his bones it's going to start getting a little convoluted how any not-all-for-one villain is going to pose a reasonable threat

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's actually more powerful than shigaraki, as the shockwave of the flick has an enormous amount of power behind it. deku can kill people at range with his flicks

by the time his body can utilize that level of power, he'll be able to control it just fine, as that's what he's working on right now. there's plenty of moral dilemmas and "can you be everywhere at the same time" scenarios that can be posed, but pretty soon deku will no longer be stopped by any limitation revolving around "can i beat this guy in a fight." all might already exists as a textual promise that one day, deku will cease to face physical obstacles, and he doesn't need to be at all might's level to completely trivialize, oh, just about every quirk user we've seen thus far that isn't all for one.

or, to maybe focus the point back a bit, deku's physical limitations and inability to properly harness or control his power are the entirety of what makes him interesting to see in an action sequence. and the entire story is about him overcoming the very thing that makes him interesting to watch, bringing us to:

Oxxidation posted:

it's surprising how much less compelling midoriya's character becomes when he's not exploding his skeleton in every fight

i want to see if the show can find an answer to this problem, because from what i can see it's certainly a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I appreciate that he has self esteem issues and a complex relationship with his peers and who he respects and why he respects them (i.e. his relationship with bakugo, which personally I find pretty compelling)

Not much of that has come into play this arc past the initial meeting with nighteye