Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also the entire point there is that Bakugou has changed, he’s changed enough to accept help from Kirishima, the first actual true friend he’s ever had. Someone who he can act as an equal to without his own damage wrecking it.

Bakagou from episode one would not have accepted help from anyone. That’s the progress, and then he goes even further by re-evaluating Izuku and their relationship. Alongside dealing with his feelings of failing and causing All Might’s retirement due to being too weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Actually, All Might completely lacking a stomach means he should be near constantly eating small amounts of calorie rich foods to maintain health and body weight. He shouldn't be having singular large meals, but snacking throughout the day because he no longer has a stomach to portion food into the intestines.

Basically he needs to eat/drink high calorie and nutrition meals with small portions 6-8 times a day.

Total Gastrectomy is a procedure performed today and it's fairly easy to live a healthy life whilst dealing with the side-effects. The more serious issue for All Might's Health is that he was never going to be able to maintain his musculature with his new dietary needs, and he's missing half his respitory system so any amount of physical exercise is going to be extremely stressful on his remaining lung.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Rohan Kishibe posted:

This is addressed last season I think. He did get one, but it couldn't regen any damage he had before he stole the quirk, so he gave it to the first Noumu we see at the end of season 1.

It was specifically that he got it too late to heal himself, because his natural healing and scarification had already occurred. So the super regen would only set him back to his scarred state, if he’d gotten it in a few months after the fight it probably would have worked.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So does he not have eyeballs or is that just a weird artistic choice?

If you’re asking about All for One he does not have eyeballs, most guesses are that All Might actually caved his skull in entirely in the first fight.

The potato look is presumably from advanced medical technology and treatment saving his life from having his skull caved in.

Basically imagine United States of Smash but All Might actually flattening All for One’s head instead of merely messing it up..

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 23, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Asimo posted:

Yeah, AfO literally had his head smashed in by by All Might (or something functionally equivalent) during their prior encounter, the same one where he tore out half of All Might's organs in return, probably in some suitably dramatic simultaneous strike. The specifics haven't really been said outright, but it's obvious enough from their various conversations.

All for One mentioned All Might coming at him with his guts literally hanging out at one point I think.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheKingslayer posted:

Isn't there a still shot of AFO laying out with what appears to be gore in a cone coming out from where his head should be? But ya know all shadowed.

Yup, even has All Might kneeling/standing/crouching over him and everything so you know exactly what happened. They've been pretty consistent on this front, All Might thought All for One is dead, and by all accounts he should be given the fight ended with All Might physically caving his skull into the pavement at full power whilst All Might himself was bleeding out with a massive gut wound that left him with no stomach and one lung.

The fact either of them survived is a miracle, the fact that both did is some sort of ludicrous impossibility.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 23, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

If she really wanted to know what she looked like there's always the Extraordinary Gentleman's Invisible Man Method, special face paint/cream to at least see the shape by covering the face.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

There is unsurprisingly already a kind of interesting fanfiction with this idea. Izuku and Bakugo have just as bad a relationship because Bakugo finds Izuku to be parasitic, needing his explosions or other sources of fire to function.

My weird thought was ways that Izuku’s dad could have the same visible quirk but different mechanical sources. So for example instead of being an emitter fire breath it’s a stockpile firebreath. Where either he needs to eat spicy food or drink alcohol to provide the fuel. So Izuku could have a weird stockpile quirk too from that.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Pakled posted:

He hasn't appeared but his quirk has been mentioned.

Yeah in the first episode Inko says her husband breathes fire. My comment was more everyone assumes it to be emitter style firebreathing so I was thinking of alternatives.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I noticed the peglegs during his big episode. Interesting they’re prosthetics. Also that real mouth is nightmare fuel. :stonk:

His peglegs are his combat prosthetics apparently, which kind of makes sense. You can make them very solid and reduce unnecessary/complicated parts to avoid getting them damaged in the middle of a fight.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The girl who can generate items not doing it to help people because she's rich is a great example of class consciousness in action. That girl sucks. (My apologies for not being good with names)

If she starts when does she stop, does she commit her life to endless slavery pumping out infinite goods? Is it morally right to tell her she’s a monster for not dedicating her entire life to producing goods she would then have no control over where they go or how they’re distributed. Should she pick and choose the distribution herself, thus spending less time creating goods and having to effectively play god.

Also it literally uses her body’s fat, she’s not an infinite printing machine and if she overdoes it it will actually straight up kill her by burning all her body fat.

She could be using her power for entirely selfish means given how rich she is and instead chooses to become a superhero because she wants to help people. She just recognised that printing infinite items isn’t a good way to help because she doesn’t have enough understanding or knowledge to make that useful. Whereas it is very easy to know that say, I can create a heat resistant blanket to protect these people from a fire.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 4, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheKingofSprings posted:

She also has to know the structure and composition of something to make it AFAIK

And cannot make food or organic compounds from memory, although that last one is a little iffy on the specifics.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Even with the accidental Todoroki Zuko thing I am definitely now imagining Quirk Stealing as the energy bending fight between Aang and Ozai that ends with Ozai’s bending removed.

The whole standing still battle of pure spiritual will with energy shifting between user and target

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kung Food posted:

I think Deku's personal manifestation of OFA is a poorer version of All Might's because AM's came with a 'Muscle Form' that has durability built in. Gran Tarino commented that AM came to him with the quirk pretty much mastered and focused on practical fight training.

The Muscle Form isn’t a manifestation of One for All. Or at least it wasn’t originally, basically that’s actually how far All Might worked his body. He’s good at exercise regimes because he himself spent a lot of time exercising and muscle building. When his injury happened he couldn’t maintain his exercise or eating habits so his body wasted away, he uses One for All to reverse the wasting process but the muscle body is what All Might legitimately achieved through physical effort. Notably, even when not muscled Toshinori is actually nearly the same height as when he is muscled.

This is an important distinction, and part of why Izuku has so much trouble is because of how much extra strength All Might added from his personal exercise habits multiplied by the stockpile nature of One for All. This also means Izuku will never have the same sort of size changing without similar circumstances. He’s probably never going to be huge like Toshinori was but we know he’s pretty ripped under his clothes and likely will stay as such so long as he continues to work out and grow.

Basically, One for All gives the overwhelming physical raw strength/toughness, but the body shape is all Toshinori and Izuku’s respective efforts to gain muscle and genetic growth factors.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 9, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I believe they were specifically in trouble for vigilantism with use of quirk against a human being.

It’s the difference between being armed and unarmed in real life basically.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Gruckles posted:

Neighbor's house catches on fire, and I try to help by using my water spraying quirk to buy more time for a hero to arrive. Thus ruining my life when my neighbor bills me for water damages because his insurance doesn't cover unlicensed quirk usage, and I'm sued by the local firefighting hero agency and thrown in jail for unwarranted operations.

Yup, it’s basically this kind of bullshit. Although a good lawyer could absolutely argue you were using your water quirk to protect your own house from potential fire damage spreading.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Amusingly in the context of this discussion, the Superhero Snipe absolutely uses a gun. He uses multiple even, but his quirk is some sort of bullet manipulation.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kwyndig posted:

That makes me wonder, with some of these more obscure quirks, how would you know how they work? Did Fat Gum one day just take a punch to the gut and then lay a guy out? How does Deku not know that maybe he has a useless quirk like the ability to turn molybdenum into pastries.

I’m assuming Snipe’s actual quirk is any ranged projectile can be controlled by him. He uses guns because they’re the most effective at what he does but he probably found out by throwing something as a child. Fatgum seems like something doctor’s would pick up in standard testing just by doing analysis on his fat cells.

In fact I think eating/fat cell quirks is the most common in the series so far. Rikido Sato (Sugar powered super strength), Momo (Creation uses her fat stores as material), Tetsux4 (Eating Iron is implied to improve his metal form), Toga (Drink Blood to become the person), Fatgum (Superfat Which can absorb impacts and energy to then power him up) and Amajiki (Eating things lets him manifest those things as body parts). It seems remarkably common for quirks to have an eating component so I would not be surprised if such things are one of the first checks done when a Quirk is detected in a child but unknown.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 25, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

if toga counts then stain does too right?

Yeah forgot him oddly enough.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kung Food posted:

I've been thinking how the existence of Night Eye's quirk means the MHA world is deterministic making free will meaningless, and the having the power to break Night Eyes future might make Eri the only person with true free will on the whole planet.

It’s possible that the future is constantly changing until Nighteye observes it and thus it becomes a fixated knowledge requiring another time based quirk to change it. This Nighteye’s Power is deterministic but the world itself is not.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

I will admit that Deku ending it with Consecutive Normal Punches is hilarious and possibly a deliberate reference?

The big red fists looking like that is almost certainly a deliberate reference, it's never shown up anywhere else in this show and is exactly how season one One Punch Man presented that move in the training with Genos.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 21, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Not to derail the conversation but has anyone here speculated on what exactly the League will do with the Quirk destroying bullets? They only have a few so it must be a very targeted, specific thing.

I wonder if the bullets work on All For One? Would one negate his proper Quirk, just one of his stolen Quirks, all of them at once?

'Cuz I don't se Tomura being AfO's lackey forever. Could use one of those bullets on him at some future date.

One of them has gotta be for Eraserhead surely. There’s the delicious irony of Eraserhead’s quirk being erased, and frankly he’s a good target anyway given his quirk is such a game changer in a fight.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Toga’s interest in Stain is at least somewhat multi-faceted. She likes blood yes, but she also explicitly wants a society where she can live free and happy, which not the same as what Stain wanted but is the same change society ideal.

Plus Stain and her both have to ingest blood to use their quirks which in her cracked mind probably makes their connection even stronger.

Augus posted:

During All For One’s big final battle he was legitimately angry at All Might for having put away so many of his allies. Just as much as All Might was a symbol for hero society, All For One was the symbol for villain society, and Shigaraki is slowly moving towards becoming the next symbol.

It’s what really makes All for One and Shigaraki cool characters, because they are such direct parallels to All Might and Midoriya and even share some of their positive qualities, just flipped around to apply to villainy instead of heroism.

Also this, All for One may or may not have truly cared for his people, but he definitely made it look like he did, and Shigaraki is being guided in those footsteps, so him developing actual care and the real power of friendship is a solid arc to read into his stuff this season.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also as a comparison point, we’ve seen enough of All Might to know that even before he got his power he was working out and pushing himself to be the hero he believed he could be. It’s why he’s actually good at being a personal trainer and such, he himself did a lot of working out and bodybuilding even before gaining One for All.

He even explains it, with all his power he still got injured and is losing his quirk and his ability to be a hero, and so he doesn’t want to set up a scrawny quirkless kid for a life of pain in an industry he will already struggle to enter. I wonder if Izuku has been training and exercising all his life would All Might still have turned him down, or would he have been intrigued by someone very much like himself once, quirkless but still pushing towards being a hero.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

He’s also significantly bigger and stronger in situations where powers are inappropriate or impossible to use, and his upper strength limit likely exceeds Deku’s Maximum safe use limit, even if Deku can just break his own body to go beyond that.

Also probably more able to take a beating and keep going.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I think we've had it pointed out before that Fire Quirks are some of the most common and Electricity Quirks are not only rare but highly valued outside of the Hero Industry in general.

chiasaur11 posted:

Considering Deku keeps fighting with pretty much every bone in his body broken as a default, I'd bet against this one.

He does that to himself, it's not damage applied by his enemies. Sato also just, is bigger and therefore generally sturdier (outside Deku's absurd willpower).

Mostly he's probably just a better muscle than Izuku is, because Izuku works as a glass cannon for now, whereas Sato is probably a pretty effective long term tank. Provided he had a steady supply of sugar to keep his strength/toughness up. Basically he'd do better in a longer fight at a higher level of strength, but Izuku just flat out can reach impossible strength levels for anyone else at the cost of breaking his own body to do it.

Sato is definitely top of the list of characters likely to be swapped out if we ever get a class shake-up (either through death or school year changes).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

La Brava never looked like a child to me, given she has an adult figure. She's just someone suffering from a mildly fictionalised case of dwarfism, it's mostly the head size and stuff that's off, but that's general anime character design, Mineta has the same issue and possibly the same condition.

In the manga she looks slightly more accurately proportioned for her condition as well, which helps, they thinned her body and enlarged her head in the anime, which adds to the effect of potentially looking like a child I suspect.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 3, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also he was specifically looking for a future in which Midoriya and Togata escape with Eri, which is a future that never happens because they don’t escape. Deku fights, with Eri providing assistance in a way that Nighteye has no ability to think of. Any attempt of them escaping would lead to their death is how I took it.

Plus I think we’ve been told, admittedly by overhaul, that Eri’s quirk is reversing chronology in some absolutely complex and bizarre way. The bullets reverse human genetics to the time before quirks, Eri rewinds people into nothingness when she touches them.

But I always assumed subconscious confirmation bias from Nighteye, he sees the future based on actions people would take, if they do something otherwise unprecedented it becomes very unreliable. See the whole fight in his office where he sees the future and knows Izuku cannot defeat him, but not the context of Izuku intentionally missing every All Might Memoribilia. It’s highly possible if Izuku has decided to not limit himself in that way he could have defeated Nighteye, and Nighteye recognises this I feel on some level.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 4, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kild posted:

The future changed when Eri jumped into his arms.

Ultimately it’s this. Eri likely is the catalyst for Nighteye being wrong considering her power is very impossibly strong.

Also My Hero academia is incredibly stock shounen tropes, just written to a very high quality.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

i get the feeling that if such a loophole existed, it probably would've come up over, uh, a lifetime of hero work centered around using that power

Actually, Nighteye very specifically avoids using his power in the ways that would let such things be discovered, specifically because of his fatalistic outlook on life and belief that doing so would doom the future to whatever he sees. It’s most obvious at the end but he normally only makes tiny looks into the future to outpace opponet’s in a fight. Or does the one hour thing to locate where people are going like he did to find the hideout and where Eri would be.

Nighteye’s whole thing is that he only uses his power after doing all the research and thinking, or in combat as a minor futuresight. He avoids looking the way he did with All Migut even into villains out of fear of seeing and thus locking something terrible into place.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Happy fist pump teeth showing Tokoyami will haunt my nightmares.

I appreciate how it's very clear Aizawa really doesn't know how to smile at all so his All Might smile is nightmarish instead of re-assuring.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

serious gaylord posted:

Characters are as fast/strong as they need to be for the plot at that moment.

This is not a new concept.

Also I believe Toga's speed/skill is noted as at least a little unusual at one point, or at least Camie's stuff is noticed as being rather rare in terms of those skills being unrelated to a physical quirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

So given all the Villains are locked up instead of actually dead, do you ever see some sort of MHA Thunderbolts/Suicide Squad happening?

I always thought that was the implication of what's going to happen with Gentle Criminal and La Brava.