Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
If you're gonna have a clip episode, that's the way to do it, I guess. Camera man was wholesome. I wish they'd go with an edgier song for an OP just once, I like most of them but they're all just so poppy and light, this one especially so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I mean, Bones has put out some of the best, most iconic openings ever, too. Like almost every FMA and FMA:B opening?

Honestly the weirdest thing is just the music choice. Feels like they animate these things first and are just given whatever pop rock song is newest at the time the show comes out and they just make it work.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

That sounds more like the plot of Mx0 than Batman, honestly.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

He mentions directly not being able to drink alcohol but like literally the first time we see him he's leaving a convenience store with a bag of convenience store food, I'm pretty sure he eats.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I mean, this episode kinda felt like it spun the tires a bit. The most interesting parts were the end of Deku's test and the stinger.

There's just not a whole lot to discuss, I think.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Kung Food posted:

I often think about how a lot of the powers are wasted on being a better fight man. Like how the guy who can turn nuts and bolts gigantic could eliminate the need for mining or the girl who can make almost anything from her body should have a higher calling than crime fighting. Worst of all is the girl who becomes a super genius when she drinks tea. I can think of much better ways to use that then coming up with the optimal strategy for stopping a purse snatcher.

I don't remember the exact quote, but Deku mentions that experts have said if quirks didn't manifest then humanity would be way further along than they are (like, exploring space in earnest).

So much effort is being expended keeping society in order and advancing science around/for quirks that even just maintaining the peace is hard enough and that's the reason more useful quirks aren't utilized better.

And also two of your examples are filler characters so maybe they didn't have as much forethought put into them (tea genius and nuts and bolts guy were both anime originals).

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

What I've always been curious about is the nature of his own ability to steal a quirk. Is it something he can do only if a condition is met, like direct touch? Is it instant? He seems to assess Jeanist as if it were an option, but we're also never shown him taking Ragdoll's quirk, only the result.

Stealing a useful quirk also leaves the original holder pretty vulnerable so if it's something he can do proactively then he probably won a lot of fights that way which would uniquely not work on One For All.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

The series delves so little into non-hero quirk society that I'm not surprised people get that one wrong especially when the scene referenced isn't all that clear on the specifics itself. Uraraka just says she wanted to use her quirk to help her family business and people don't get that the reason she can't is because they want her to pursue her actual dream of being a hero instead and not worry about them.

It's a frequent misunderstanding so maybe the issue lies with the series and not with the people misinterpreting a fact about the universe it's set in, yeesh.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's presented as a matter of public safety, at least how I interpreted it.

Like there isn't a law specifically against using your quirk, but it seems like there are a bunch of laws around using your quirk in public spaces or against other people, even accidentally or in cases of self defense.

In Koichi's example, the cop is more concerned that he might run into someone or cause an accident, but also mentions that using your quirk on public roads is forbidden. And then the main series the boys also got in trouble for defending themselves against Stain, a right specifically reserved for licensed heroes.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

e: I'm probably just gonna bow out on :words: about quirk law since I'm becoming what I tried to mock like three posts ago.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 14, 2019

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

People are going to be so confused and I really hope that doesn't hurt its sales too badly

I'm not so much worried about people being confused as I am about spoilers.

The first movie handheld new audience members really well. This one is going to be tasked with introducing current viewers to a version of the story two anime seasons ahead of where they currently are without ruining anything in between.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

The Kirishima and Fatgum bit in particular had a lot of single-digit paged chapters interspersed with missed weeks.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I was kind of confused as the score I usually associate with All For One was playing during peak super-Deku heroics, but then they had this dark, sinister, furious, all-powerful looking Deku show up and I realized, actually yeah 100% is terrifying.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 11, 2020

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

The lyrics are a bit awkward but the performance is great and I honestly can't get enough of the You Say Run leitmotif, it's just so thematically perfect.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

My problem with Nighteye is that we're supposed to take his deterministic predictions as some sort of big deal, but we're never actually shown them in detail and we aren't him so all we have to go on is what he says, which usually isn't much.

We also aren't party to any of he previous struggles with regard to reading the far future or altering future events. That type of story has already been done pretty well in Stein's Gate but again with Nighteye we just have to take his word for it.

All of this off-camera pre-series "here have a flashback" development of his character just makes him seem really shallow. The anime helped because the acting really sold his despair, but even then he's still pretty one-note and feels more like a plot device than a full character.

E: I also agree with the sentiment that it's really silly that Suneater gets an entire fight but Nejire gets catcalled by a Yakuza guy and pewpews him a couple times before "enough of that, back to Deku".

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 13, 2020

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

That's what I mean, it's almost superfluous to the events anyway. Deku wanting to save Eri and Eri realizing she wants to be saved is already compelling enough without some guy on the sidelines going "lmao no you can't".

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Honestly I kind of like that this series sticks to straightforward cathartic brawls and not 9th dimensional ninja chess.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I really love Overhaul's expression in that detailed close-up. It so thoroughly conveys the complex feeling of just having had your flashback-fueled determined villain powerup swatted aside by a highschooler like the insignificant bullshit it is.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Honestly what the anime made me realize was that the back half of this arc takes place in a slightly abstract poorly lit hallway with generic industrial pipe textures on the walls. I don't think I was so acutely aware of it in the manga because everything wasn't filled in with slate gray. I was also disappointed how Mirio's fight turned into a slideshow.

The vocal track when Deku is reaching out for Eri and the whole embellishment of him destroying Overhaul made everything worth it. I have high hopes for the next arc.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

That part was just skipped in the manga.

I know the end bit was anime original but it also disappointed. The whole episode was stiff.

e: original context is that a lot of manga readers hoped the anime would smooth over and extrapolate on things and it didn't. It was still good.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

ijyt posted:

Just watched episode 76, the Overhaul fight was incredible as well as the music choice, this threads reaction to episodes never ceases to amaze me.

I've rewatched it like 3 times now, and I still have to watch the dub. It's very good, and so is Deku.

Sometimes I criticize it, but this show has me waking up at 8am to watch Saturday morning cartoons again. I love it.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Plot armor is pedantry, meta analysis is an unending abyss, and TVTropes is a blight.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

The dub still comes out every Saturday right even though they're a week behind the sub now for whatever reason?

They actually announced another delay this week so they'll now be two weeks behind.

It's frustrating, but the idea of a simildub is crazy enough, and it's still a really good dub so I'll usually go back and watch it each week.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I loved this arc in the manga and Gentle is as great as I hoped he would be.

The bit with Deku holding up the beam is one of my favorite pages from the manga. I love how the line of motion of the airforce attack is helped by Deku literally reaching across the panels, showing him both aiming at and hitting Gentle all at once. Also, the situation he's in there is very Spiderman, at least that's what it reminds me of.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

This chapter was so rough in the manga when it first came out because Horikoshi basically had to finish two chapters in the span of like ten days, as I recall. But even when the rest of the chapter was sketchy and unfinished, the page that matters most gets me every time.

The anime nailed it.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

The Red Riot & Fatgum vs. Rappa fight in particular covered like 4.5 chapters in one episode because of the shortened chapters. Otherwise their pace was pretty normal this season.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

The rest of the fights in the movie are snappier and more impactful than the final one, at least in my opinion. It's hard to even keep track of what's going on in the final cut, and for once I wish they'd just use a song that fits the scene instead of going for weird juxtaposition. The other one that comes to mind is Deku vs. Overhaul, and how they used AFO's "theme" for it.

The best fight in the anime, choreography-wise, is definitely Deku vs. Bakugo #2. Deku vs. Gentle could have been up there but I think it suffered a bit for being kind of a B-roll fight. It looked cool as hell in the manga and frankly just "okay" in the anime.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 30, 2020

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

The end cut of Two Heroes is amazing. It's so weighty and satisfying, I don't think they'll ever top the father-son punch in the movies, but I dare them to try.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

The Sports Festival was the first time I even slightly appreciated Bakugo in the series. During his fight with Uraraka, he basically has the entire stadium jeering him for being a bully when all he was doing was taking her seriously like she deserved.

And you know what? His reaction was over the top but I completely get being angry at how he "won" against Todoroki who visibly held back in front of everyone. Like, I think people were less sympathetic to that because the audience understands that Shoto has some stuff to work through but Bakugo isn't really privy to that knowledge - all *he* knows is that the dude has a fire quirk that he never uses, except he just saw him use it when Deku pushed him hard enough. He's there to prove that he's the best and it's hard to definitively say he's the strongest one there when the guy who just imploded the stadium a short while ago kinda gives up.

His dynamic with Deku early on is awful, and painted in the worst way by the first interaction we see between them in the series. I have no idea how or why he's been consistently popular, I would agree that by the end of season 2 he's still one of the worst characters in the show. I don't think we're supposed to like him at first, which also makes the way Deku handles him extremely frustrating or at least frustrating on Deku's behalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

there wolf posted:

Much like Bakugo when he's a total rear end in a top hat but right, I shall never apologize for leading a thread own the road of feminist discourse.

I appreciate it, because when I stop to think about it, it's bullshit that the Big 3 get focus fights except for Nejire who gets a beauty pageant. Froppy's biggest contribution to the Overhaul arc is pointing Aizawa's face the right way. The girls all show up with their top-10 hero mentor, a woman who turns into an actual dragon, and their fight happens almost entirely off screen.

I like that Ochako is a close combat gravity grappler and that she takes her crush on Deku and sets it entirely aside because she has more important poo poo to worry about. Eri is built up as this helpless little girl who needs saving, but ultimately she is the one responsible for her own rescue. She chooses to be rescued in the end, and without her power Deku doesn't win that fight. MHA is ultimately neither the best nor worst for this kind of thing.

surf rock posted:

Much like in anime, everyone got fixated on the boobs-and-butts part of my post and nobody's talking about how amazing the concert was or debating the quirk rankings :smith:

I adored the concert, especially after how it originally looked in the manga. The timing of it meant that Horikoshi had to do like 2 whole chapters in the span of 10 days, and the concert chapter was basically just rough scribbles at certain points. I still got choked up at the end of it, and always will:

The song they came up with is super catchy, and I was caught a bit off guard by how emotional Jiro's little quick backstory thing was, she has great parents. :shobon:

FWIW I'm also glad you liked Gentle. When reading that weekly as it came out, it was definitely my favorite arc at the time. I don't necessarily think the anime did it justice, but I still enjoyed experiencing it again all the same.