Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Control + f "drone"

quote:

Anduril’s pitch deck offered a sci-fi fantasia, including autonomous long-range bombers, attack-drone swarms, and something they called “perimeter security on a pole.”

quote:

The prototype towers on Ed’s ranch are the epitome of cheapskate. A plain metal pole juts from the ground, propped up by a tripod and anchored by cinder blocks. Solar panels hang off its lower portion, and the top is a cobbled-together cluster of radar antennae, cameras, and more. The finished version will look more polished, but its bones will be the same. Unassembled, it can fit into a pickup truck and be installed in less than an hour. Anduril has since added small drones to the system. If the company wins a contract for the hundreds of miles of rural borderlands, where its tech is best suited, these towers will watch the movements of all who cross their line of sight—drug smugglers, job seekers, families, as well as Americans going about their business.

Again, I highly recommend reading. It's very useful, and will help you figure out what other people are trying to communicate to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lemming posted:

Control + f "drone"
"The Long Range Sentry Tower is equipped with an ultra high powered, 360 radar designed to identify, classify and track group 1-3 drone threats."

Lemming posted:

Again, I highly recommend reading. It's very useful, and will help you figure out what other people are trying to communicate to you.

emptyrave
May 13, 2022

Can't you guys go have this conversation in an open field somewhere and not here goddamn

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

emptyrave posted:

Can't you guys go have this conversation in an open field somewhere and not here goddamn

The guy only posts when Palmer is mentioned, and unfortunately he still comes up from time to time because of his history with VR. Unfortunately it sucks to leave his kind of garbage unchallenged, so it's going to keep happening

Edit:

CatHorse posted:

"The Long Range Sentry Tower is equipped with an ultra high powered, 360 radar designed to identify, classify and track group 1-3 drone threats."

I have no idea why you're linking other stuff they're doing. The fact that they're doing things in addition to the poor immigrant tracking drones doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the company was made to harm the unfortunate and profiteer off of war, which you seem to be refusing to acknowledge because you want to go to bat for the guy who is friends with real life holocaust deniers

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Palmer invented VR as we know it today.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

"oh no guys be chill im a fan of the military industrial complex, not murdering people crossing the border. can we talk about vr instead? if you hate the drones you hate ukraine btw."

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Al! posted:

lol

anyway i've finally dived into underdogs and am pleased that im breaking a sweat and working out basically all my muscles. a little sore but its a great ride. wish there was more mech on mech combat because thats kind of the highlight of the fights to me

Yeah Id love to see more mech minibosses, the way everything comes together with the movesets is awesome and theres so much room for potential with really cool boss designs.

This makes me think something like an Armored Core in VR would be incredible.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i have posted a thread in cspam where you can continue this riveting killdrone discussion

AccountSupervisor posted:

Yeah Id love to see more mech minibosses, the way everything comes together with the movesets is awesome and theres so much room for potential with really cool boss designs.

This makes me think something like an Armored Core in VR would be incredible.

this is the first time ive tried a vr mech game but theres that Vox Machinae game that ive been eyeing for a long time, does anyone have experience with it?

is armored core rubicon vr modded yet?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lemming posted:

I have no idea why you're linking other stuff they're doing. The fact that they're doing things in addition to the poor immigrant tracking drones doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the company was made to harm the unfortunate and profiteer off of war, which you seem to be refusing to acknowledge because you want to go to bat for the guy who is friends with real life holocaust deniers

The only thing Anduril does that relates to border/immigrants are those remote camera towers.
Him supporting Trump is bad. And the faster his relation to VR is forgotten, the better. But. There is no need to invent "poor immigrant tracking killer drones". Making stuff up is what republicans are doing. No need to sink to their level.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CatHorse posted:

The only thing Anduril does that relates to border/immigrants are those remote camera towers.
Him supporting Trump is bad. And the faster his relation to VR is forgotten, the better. But. There is no need to invent "poor immigrant tracking killer drones". Making stuff up is what republicans are doing. No need to sink to their level.

You don't even have to read, there's a nice big picture of a drone at the top of the page :)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

frankly impressive there no FPV drone pilot quest game. since its a sim the whole pleasure of it comes from the challenge so you could make potato graphics, big cityscape no probemo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Crazy Drone Taxi

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

frankly impressive there no FPV drone pilot quest game. since its a sim the whole pleasure of it comes from the challenge so you could make potato graphics, big cityscape no probemo

i mean you could probably hook into the google earth api and fly around tokyo ftw. theres a few games that access it native and it seems like it'd be ezpz if you know what youre doing on pc

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Homeless Friend posted:

Gonna save it for the gritty remake of 2002's Toys tie in game

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Another reason to hate him.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

lets be honest. i could have done it myself if i hadn't be so busy owning noobs in battlefield

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

Not only that but all his VR hot takes pre, during, and post career have been right on the money.

I don't care if he has 4chan brain, he's a genuine tinkerer. He has scars from building railguns as a kid, I did all that poo poo too and I gotta root for it.

CatHorse posted:

Him supporting Trump is bad.

Not bad for him. He picked a winner pre-election. Then he's johnny-on-the-spot in 2017 with a defense company and all the republicans (you know, the people who actually spend on defense) are already ingratiated to him. You can't blame the guy for being great at capitalism. That he gets to troll us while winding up with a second company valued at like $10B is a bonus.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

failmer fucky

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Not only that but all his VR hot takes pre, during, and post career have been right on the money.

I don't care if he has 4chan brain, he's a genuine tinkerer. He has scars from building railguns as a kid, I did all that poo poo too and I gotta root for it.

Not bad for him. He picked a winner pre-election. Then he's johnny-on-the-spot in 2017 with a defense company and all the republicans (you know, the people who actually spend on defense) are already ingratiated to him. You can't blame the guy for being great at capitalism. That he gets to troll us while winding up with a second company valued at like $10B is a bonus.

This, exactly, but instead I think Luckey is a dumbass dipshit who should go instead of a real cool guy, like this guy thinks.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

simply cannot bring myself to have a serious debate about this guy

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm not handing it to anyone no matter how many video games they made, sorry.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Homeless Friend posted:

Maybe not quest but I'm pretty sure there are one or two PCVR ones, can't believe nobody mentioned it yet. They mostly made me sick when I tried them out though, also are more of an FPS thing than proper sims.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is that Time magazine cover maybe the worst cover they have ever done?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I said come in! posted:

the only thing that competes in my mind is "You"

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I think you will find VR is now being drive exclusively by Zuck and Tim Apple and it’s being focused toward being a lobby full of 12 year olds using their parents credit card and a TV replacement device, respectively.

There is no room for “tech” anymore

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Crazyweasel posted:

Gaben will save us... maybe.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Crazyweasel posted:

I think you will find VR is now being drive exclusively by Zuck and Tim Apple and it’s being focused toward being a lobby full of 12 year olds using their parents credit card and a TV replacement device, respectively.

The tech is good, we just need more good software, which is hard to design because nobody knows how to make good VR stuff for the most part

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Gaben will save us... maybe.

He is busy making mind control devices https://starfishneuroscience.com/team/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Let's move the thread away from these terrible takes please.

e: Cathorse, you do not need to leap to the defence of a company that does such things. They'll be okay without you. Leave it out of the VR Megathread in the Video Games forum please.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 15, 2024

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Once again recommending anyone who loved Rockband to download Paradiddle. Super fun to come home from work and burn off some energy on some Queens of the Stone Age drums

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You don't have any issues from not having any physical feedback of hitting drums?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I almost got it the other week but talked myself out of it because of the feedback problem also not having a pedal but probably wanting one. Your post has done a lot to convince me to try it though because I'd probably be drumming the same things :hmmyes:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cojawfee posted:

You don't have any issues from not having any physical feedback of hitting drums?

I don't, but I don't know how to play drums. But if you do the game does have support for a electronic kits and pads.

explosivo posted:

I almost got it the other week but talked myself out of it because of the feedback problem also not having a pedal but probably wanting one. Your post has done a lot to convince me to try it though because I'd probably be drumming the same things :hmmyes:

I put the pedal for the hi-hat on my left trigger and the kick drum on my right. Still, I am want to stress I don't play drums. For me, with no physical kit, the game doesn't penalize you for hitting more notes than called for. In fact, there are no fails at all, it just does the Guitar Hero thing were the music grinds to a halt.

I don't endorse this as any type of musician. I just have fun trying to play Smashing Pumpkins or Royal Blood songs when I get off work and get high.

Edit: Happy to provide referrals, the link to the song library is https://paradb.kumo.dev/.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 15, 2024

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I’ve been playing some ragnarok for fun drumming action but I’ve found after a couple of songs it aggravates an old injury in one of my shoulders :(

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Crazyweasel posted:

12 year olds using their parents credit card and a TV replacement device, respectively.

to be fair, its really good at that lol. Q3 = god tier manga reader

Private Speech posted:

Maybe not quest but I'm pretty sure there are one or two PCVR ones, can't believe nobody mentioned it yet. They mostly made me sick when I tried them out though, also are more of an FPS thing than proper sims.

dang so it is, Velocidrone, Liftoff, TRYP, DRL, Uncrashed seem the major ones. I can sorta see why it might not be on VR headsets simply because yeah drones are actually single camera. That said I am invincible against motion sickness as my brain has been permanent broken by VR rally lol.

https://i.imgur.com/tOyouht.mp4

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

that gif could give me motion sickness lol

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

You can't blame the guy for being great at capitalism.

Yeah you can

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

I said come in! posted:

They had multiple Hitler covers

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
They also had this guy on the cover in 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

They also had this guy on the cover in 2006

So photogenic!

From my side, in the last weeks I've been using from time to time the Great Painting VR steam app that someone linked here. 37 galleries visities, I believe. The core functionality (painting quality and variety) is great but drat I hate the gallery functionality!

-No locomotion options beyond a clunky teleport, which is pretty bad considering your motion is usually from side to side in a long gallery. No option for smooth turning either.
-You have two ugly 3d lines as cursors in your hands that cannot be turned off nor they turn invisible, you are looking at the paintings and you have to do it with your 'hands' pointing down to not have the lines in the middle of the screen.
-the 'seated' mode just move all the paintings 30 cms down, which imo isn't enough.
-Hell it would have been cool if there was a more unrealistic 'fly' mode to examine some super big paintings.
-The individual painting mode (instead of gallery mode) has some bugs, the next/prev painting sometimes jump numbers strangely.
-Super nitpicky stuff now, but the frame used for all painting is ugly as hell, I would have preferred a more simple but realistic frame.

Alas, this is me venting and ranting to the void, the app hasn't been updated since lat 2022 (and the real last update seems to have been done in mid 2021), nor there has been forum activity since that date. So it seems a pretty dead project.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 15, 2024