Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

El Grillo posted:

e: does anyone know what the development path looks like for the game? Is the dev planning on making major improvements to AI some day?

Not sure about the AI but I know the current set of animations are just store-bought and are going to be replaced at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I've just switched to a Rift S from a Vive and I'm now noticing some rather problematic FPS drops in Beat Saber that weren't there before. I know the resolution is a little higher now, but surely a 2080 Super should be able to handle that, right?

Is playing SteamVR games on Rift known to come with performance issues? I guess otherwise it could just be the added CPU load of the rift's tracking cameras, maybe?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Thanks guys. I’ll do some more tinkering.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did you set “-vrmode oculus” in the steam launch options?

right click the game in Steam > properties > set launch options > type in "-vrmode oculus" without quotes.

Thanks, this seems to have done the trick or at least has had a nice placebo effect.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

homeless snail posted:

I think I probably heard it on VNN in which case it's more than likely bullshit, but I remember one of the leaks about HLVR being essentially just Time Crisis. Moving up from one set piece to another.

Groundbreaking to be sure.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Anyone with a rift S had their tracking go to poo poo since the most recent firmware/software update?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Zero VGS posted:

Do any VR games have whips? NES Castlevania was relatively slow paced and would probably make a sweet transition to whipping at flying Medusa heads.

One of the quests in Rec Room has a castlevania whip. It’s pretty basic, though.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Desdinova posted:

Downloaded Q1 VR with HD textures, that was a blast from the past.

Someone on reddit posted a link to the Q3 maps that can be played in the Q1 engine, seems like it's the closest we've got to Q3 VR at the moment:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/axm9vs/really_no_quake_3_vr_yet/

IIRC you can get Quake 3 weapons and maps for Serious Sam Fusion. I think they work in VR mode.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

SCheeseman posted:

HTC are gearing up to release a bunch of variations of the Cosmos. One of them has support for SteamVR tracking and that is likely going to be the only one worth getting.

1.0 base stations and vive wands? Nope that is absolutely not worth getting.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Penpal posted:

the rick and morty VR game (experience?) is on sale right now

Is it worth 5 bucks if I like the show? I'm going to assume yes

There are a couple of other sales going on but nothing in "impulse" territory like this feller

I believe it is basically Job Simulator but Rick and Morty themed. The normal price is obscene but for 5 bucks I'd say go for it.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Zero VGS posted:

This is like the longest "my uncle works at Nintendo" I've ever seen

I mean that is literally the entire VNN format.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

charity rereg posted:

Dumb newbie question, how do you move in a game like Virtual Battlegrounds? Surely it's too fast paced to use the teleporting thing I've been mucking around with in SteamVR/WindowsMR?

Smooth locomotion like a non-VR game. Probably don't try this until you're far more used to VR.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I don't want to just sit through tons of loading screens to fall into a bunch of social spaces. I'm talking about recommendations for actual games and experiences. If you've already found a couple cool things, why not share their names and a quick little description of them?

You could check out the Udon Alpha spotlight, but in all honesty I would give it another couple of months or so if you're seriously looking for games and stuff to do. VRChat only just launched real support for scripted worlds (Udon) so it's gonna take some time for anything really good to come out.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Luneshot posted:

Wait a minute, when did the Rift S get hand tracking?

As in tracked controllers.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Jenny Agutter posted:

"playing bow and arrow games is no problem" *never shows a realistic bow pull*
I mean I'm sure the tracking is better than the old WMR sets but I wanted to see how it does right up on your face

Works great for Pavlov/Onward!

Source: Trust me bro

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol @ worrying that a WMR headset might be the better option.

But noted impartial reviewer Mixed Reality TV says it's the best!

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Combat Pretzel posted:

Did they really make the graphics in the PC version of Onward worse because of Quest crossplay? :psyduck:

Those guys have basically perfected the art of downgrading their game so it would not surprise me one bit.

I still maintain Onward is trash and the only reason it gets any attention is lack of competition.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How long has the aussie Steam store had a "Valve Index" listing for the hardware? They're just coming up "Not Available In Your Country", but I swear that's at least fairly new :tinfoil:.

The whole time. They're never releasing it here.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Mischievous Mink posted:

I was expecting the PSVR exclusivity confirmation, at least for the short term, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. But the gamepad only thing I'm pretty surprised by. I'm not a PSVR owner but I thought move controllers for it was gonna be kind of a given.

They literally talk about sticking your hand around corners in the dev video. This is bizarre.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

sigher posted:

lol at HTC for releasing another dud; I didn't even know there was a Cosmos Elite but good christ releasing a headset with the original Vive Wands in 2020. Hahahaha

I had to double take when I saw they were packing 1.0 lighthouses. Unbelievable.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Ok cool but what about the refresh rate? That’s one of my make or break items for this thing.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Turin Turambar posted:

A bit of competition for Blade & Sorcerey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c_lCul7dUA

Wow someone invented NPCs that can use two handed weapons.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

8one6 posted:

Holy poo poo this for a thousand years!!!

You just need to get better at the game it's not that hard. :smug:

I totally agree with you

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Junk posted:

Wait, when the Myst remake says it's coming out for Oculus, does that mean I'm SOL as an Index owner? Because if the barrier between me and Myst in VR is loving Facebook I think I might actually resort to terrorism.

Nope, there's a store page on Steam for it right now.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Delta-Wye posted:

The developers of Red Matter posted some shots of Quest vs Quest 2 (https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/iusgk0/red_matter_on_the_oculus_quest_2_this_is_how_it/). They claim it's "a sneak peek, captured directly from the device" but these don't look like through-the-lens shots but the eye buffer contents. Still neat tho!

Quest:

Quest 2:

Yeah this looks good but tells you nothing about how it actually looks on the screen.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Will they even allow games that are quest 2 exclusive onto the store?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I pre-ordered direct from Oculus so I don't get any kind of estimate. Just pray I guess.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Penpal posted:

Who ITT has a vive pro? What do you think of it? Pulling the trigger on one in the next day or so.

Also I would be really interested in a thread poll on what headset everyone is using. I'm mad curious 🤔

Rift S until hopefully another week or two when my Quest 2 should arrive.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Skyarb posted:

Man it feels like after Facebook bought beat saber that studio just completely stopped putting out content. At least lately there is just no content coming out from them especially given how insanely successful that game has been.

I can see how you'd think this was true if you never paid any attention to VR news.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

veni veni veni posted:

Glad to hear it!

Another newbie tip. Try playing with a fan turned on you. It can help in a multitude of ways. Early on it helped me with motion sickness, it’ll keep you cool so you stay comfortable and fog free, and to me it least it helps sell the feeling of being outdoors in VR.

Yeah, I always like to have some idea of which way I'm facing, so this helps a lot.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
The FedEx guy just turned up with a package for me!

It was the elite strap and link cable. No headset. :eng99:

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Carmant posted:

Is there something about linking your FB account to your Quest that makes it more likely for your account to get flagged or is it just people getting caught in the election bot dragnet? Like I wonder if they do some kind of check when you link the account that is exacerbating this. Mine is arriving tomorrow and now I'm worried even though I've had my account for years and there's nothing suspicious about it.

It'll be the fact the accounts are brand new rather than being anything to do with the Quest.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
In case this helps anyone, I was having SERIOUS framerate issues on SteamVR via VD and absolutely nothing seemed to fix it.

Turns out, if you have the "OpenVR Input Emulator" addon for SteamVR installed, this just halves your SteamVR framerate at all times over VD. Remove this and like magic everything works.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

empathe posted:

Where do you check/remove this?

In the SteamVR settings (possibly only accessible on desktop while steamVR is running) click "Startup/Shutdown" and then "Manage Add-Ons".

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

This upsets me because I find the quest 2 REALLY uncomfortable even with the elite strap. Come on guys, don’t do me like this.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Penpal posted:

kf incursion:

7PJBL-LD990-QM50K

Already had a copy from another bundle.

Snagged this. Thanks!

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

canyoneer posted:

Doesn't sunlight turn the Quest 2 lenses into dust or stone also?

The lenses do the same thing with sunlight that a magnifying glass does, only to your screen instead of an ant.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Martytoof posted:

I wonder if Oculus dropped the “must support Q1 and Q2” line, whether Google Earth VR would be viable on Q2. It runs fairly well on my lovely five year old desktop 3D card over virtual desktop but I have lovely wifi so native would be much more pleasant.

I’m sure it’d work but sadly that would require Google to ever touch one of their abandoned projects again.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Zaphod42 posted:

Why would you play that? Legit question.

The pre-rendered original Myst will look better, since its pre-rendered. Or if you want a fully 3D myst... there's already RealMyst. I dunno I just don't really see the point? I guess it'll be a slightly prettier RealMyst, but not as pretty as Myst Anniversary, so if you really care about graphics but also really really care about FPS controls and controls are more important than graphics to you?

Yeah I tried both RealMyst and Myst Masterpiece edition the other day. Neither is a particularly pleasant experience in 2020 on a high resolution display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
That stuff is awful even if you’re not allergic, though. Better off just getting a vrcover replacement.