Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Pistol Whip is super fun and you definitely don't need to play it like a rhythm game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Cutscenes in VR are considerably more annoying than they are in flatscreen games.

Yeah I haven't had the patience to get through a single VR game with extensive cutscenes.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Lemming posted:

I agree, if anybody is interested I blitzed through that first tutorialish section (took me 2 hours the first time I re-did it after loving up my save, 1:15 the second time) and have a clean save ready to go for the post game/weekly reset cycle section I made for someone else. It starts you with as little as possible but it's ready to go on the main bulk of the game.

I would love that and it'd make me actually buy the game whenever the oculus link stuff comes out. I have so little patience for tutorials in normal games but I lose my mind in VR ones. Especially being told how to do the same poo poo in every game.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Even though I have a ton of USB C cables only 1 was 3.0. That's gonna be a pain for people out there. I had expected quick charge phone cables were 3.0 but I guess not. Unfortunately that 1 valid cable was super short so I tried it through a 3.0 USB extender which got a green check in the Oculus setup but wouldn't output an image (just went black screen after hitting 'enable oculus link' on the quest). Oh well, I'll try it tomorrow with a new cable from Amazon.

edit: There's no chance this HL: Alyx is HL 3. They would've given it a more exciting title otherwise. This is going to be a loving around in VR thing.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 19, 2019

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'd say the reaction on the internet seems pretty negative outside VR circles. People have been antsy for a single player Valve game and a negative reaction seems inevitable if the first game in ages is VR only. If they announce a normal straight forward flat screen single player game alongside I'm sure that'd change instantly.

Since Valve has been tinkering with VR for a long time I am really interested in seeing what new ideas they show off in HL:A. Outside of Oculus I don't think there is any other company who has put near so much time into experimenting with VR development. I would be very very surprised if it's anything like a full game though.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I found a DAS cheap on ebay ($60-ish I think) and didn't buy any of the 3d printed kits. Some velcro straps like you probably have lying around for computer crap and any sort of D/O/whatever ring is all you need. A ring is absurdly cheap at a hardware store. You could probably also pry the frame off an old belt and use that. I've been using it with the DAS for many months (I think I did the conversion a month or so after release) and its never had any problems.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Got in a cable so I could try link. It's a fiddly setup since some of my motherboard's USB3 ports didn't seem to work and of my multiple 3.0 extender cable only 1 worked, but eventually I got an okay setup with the combo of cables.

Once I did it didn't feel much different than my non-S Rift. Didn't feel like any worse tracking quality and display was perhaps even a little better. Godrays seemed to be improved. Comfort is about the same with the DAS. With a better cable setup I can't imagine wanting to fiddle with the old Rift over this so I'm gonna go ahead and sell mine. I'll definitely be buying the link cable from oculus when its available. This seems ideal for sims since the quest has a solid display and the cable issues are minimized. Given an option I'd rather play room scale games completely wireless so that may end up being how I use it (mostly quest native room scale games and sims/seated stuff on pc).

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think the biggest consideration between Quest and S beyond IPD (which is a big deal) is where your computer is located. Can you consistently have a large open space near your computer? If you have to move poo poo every time you play ponder if you will really do that when you have time to game or you'll just launch a flat screen game. For me and everyone I know with VR, the answer to both of those is no so roomscale ends up being abandoned most of the time. OTOH, if you have room anywhere in your place for VR the Quest will work. Graphics/display/etc is not that important if you never use the thing. I've been doing so much more roomscale since I got the Quest.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Calipark posted:

I finally got around to playing Robo Recall and good lord is this game good. I rarely see it talked about in "Best of VR" lists though.

It's one of my favorite vr games. My pcvr time is probably 75% gorn or rr

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So room setup is gone from SteamVR on Oculus? I know it's supposed to just pull it from the Oculus guardian settings but my Oculus boundaries are fine but they are wacky in SteamVR. I can't find any way to adjust them or reset them.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Are there any AR glasses that work alright for just putting a big decent resolution ghost tv in front of you? I don't like how it works with a big full VR helmet but slimmer AR glasses that don't block the room around you seem like a cool idea.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

Biggest problem right now is the optics for AR are really restrictive in FOV compared to where VR is at. Depending on how big of a ghost TV you want on your wall, and how far away it likely won't be possible to have it all in view.

So more like a decent sized floating computer monitor? That'd be cool just as a laptop screen alternative with better ergonomics if the res wasn't bad. Are media consumption AR glasses here/on the horizon? Tethered to a phone would be great for movies / steam streaming /etc.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

More like a small, poor quality laptop screen with a bad visibility angle; it'll be hard to see in bright light and if you move your head slightly the picture will disappear.

VR is much better at that sort of thing right now, but obviously the headsets are generally bulkier. Some of them can use pass-through cameras so you can still see the world around you, though, so it's possible to get an AR-like effect that way.

Why wouldn't it be at a constant fixed distance from your face if it's not trying to do some kind of in-world placement and just act as a screen? Not talking any kind of pokemon go goofiness.

Yeah I'm aware of the VR stuff. I don't like VR helmets. It's fine for tossing on my head a few times a week for some full motion games but not anything I want to sit around in for longer which is why VR desktop for big screen 2D sucked. Even with pass through cameras you can't even vaguely hang out in a room with someone either.

Whenever they have big dumb eye AR glasses that can just do a screen I'm all in for it tho.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Does anyone have two Quests in their house for VR two player shenanigans? How well does it work out? Find enough local multiplayer games to be worthwhile?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Me and my wife haven’t touched Quest multiplayer stuff in a couple years beyond Rec Room. Anything fun released for two people (two headsets) that isn’t horror or gun shooters (bows are fine)?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That's a pisser Walkabout doesn't support the Quest 1 (we've got a Quest 1 and a Quest 2). I suppose I could get it on PC and try to stream it to the Q1 but I haven't tried that in ages and it used to be kinda janky. Our desktops don't have much room near them for just hooking up via cable.

I suppose this could be an excuse to buy a Q3. How big of an improvement is it over the old ones? I feel like my biggest complaint from the two we have is nothing to do with refresh rate or resolution, but just the awkwardness of peering through a little porthole into a giant thing strapped to your face (which aftermarket straps help but don't eliminate). Any improvement there? I can't tell by the fov/weight comparison if it's much different.

I have some Nreal XR glasses I've used a lot for playing on the Deck and I've been hoping someone would make a VR headset closer to that basic glasses formfactor with expanded blocking and some way to keep the heavier VR hardware off your head (maybe tethered to something you stick in your pocket or some such). Anything like that on the horizon at all?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm also looking for a coop (private 2 person no randos) game that's kinda like those Rec Room rpg/adventure rooms but a bit more elaborate and has a chill vibe rather than grim. I see a ton of RPG/roguelike stuff but any of it particularly good? Ideally something that has a bit of exercise in it too (lots of motion control poo poo I guess).

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

a confused grandpa / confused grandma difficulty mode

I want all games to rename their easy difficulty modes to confused grandpa/ma

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Shuka posted:

That's an awfully funny way of saying Meta stopped supporting quest 1. It has absolutely nothing to do with software developers.

You can absolutely play walkabout on quest 1, it just won't be the same version as any other platform, including Meta/Quests platforms.

Nothing to do with developer whatsoever. Meta discontinued their own product so you would buy their new product

Edit - VVV I mean $50 today is like $20 in the 90's and they didn't even have VR back then but also that headset is gonna be hosed

huh? I wasn't raging against the developer I just said it was a pisser I couldn't grab the game people were recommending. Other games on the store still say quest 1 supported so presumably that one in particular just required extra hardware juice.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I could still install and play all the games on my Q1 and I never got any kind of update message saying the device was EoL or some such. I hadn't opened the store in years but nothing there either. It was actually kinda bad that despite not supporting the Q1 the store didn't pop up anything warning when I bought the golf game. Mind you, I was planning on streaming it so it was nbd, but as a dev I'd rather the store try to dissuade people from buying a game that I didn't support rather than deal with support headaches or bad reviews. It also looks like it would let me install it on the Q1 but I didn't try to play it so perhaps a message would pop up there.

I dunno how the Q2 and Q3 compare but the Q1 always felt like pretty underpowered hardware wise so no surprise devs want to move on from it. The only reason I abandoned pcvr so quickly for the Q1 was that I found going wireless a huge improvement and worth the shittier graphics. Is streaming pcvr better these days? It used to be very finicky but if it works pretty well without elaborate dedicated router setups then maybe I'll try to play some of these pcvr games again. I always liked Robo Recall a lot and barely ever played Blade and Sorcery.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

We had a really fun time with the golf game! I'm getting pretty tempted by a Q3.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

alright I bought a quest 3 lol. It is a lot sharper to the point that wearing my glasses feels necessary (poo poo was blurry on the Q1 anyway) so I might order some of those lens inserts. The default strap was the most uncomfortable vr strap I've ever worn no matter what adjustments I did so I also bought a kiwi comfort strap that seems alright. I know people say the battery on the back of the strap balances the weight better but I'm extremely leery of adding anymore weight to my head since I get neck pain easily (why I bought the cheaper comfort instead of the one with a battery).

Though I will say the q3 battery seems surprisingly short. The Q1 battery was never an issue because I'd get uncomfortable enough to take a break long before the battery ran out but starting at 70% the Q3 was nearly out after 1 full golf game. That was with brightness down a tad, but maybe I had something else sucking down battery (we were in an oculus party instead of relying on the golf party audio). If the battery is an issue I still think I'd prefer to have a big extra battery in my pocket or strapped to my arm rather than more head weight.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I saw the Bobo widely recommended but it looked kinda janky compared to the Kiwi. I used a number of straps on my Q1 and none of them were ever really comfortable so I don't have a preferred strap style. On my Q1 I ended up sticking with the modified Vive audio strap as the least uncomfortable. I dunno if it can be modified to work on the Q3 or the lesser weight of the Q3 would make it much better, but the audio on this one seems fine enough to not bother with audio replacement anyway.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I don't think Apple is that nervous about how ecstatic the reviews are on their probably sold out expensive rear end sorta developer preview device.

I'm still surprised they are goggles though. If it's primarily about media consumption/AR/fake monitor stuff then why not glasses? You don't care about immersion in AR stuff and for daily use I actually want it to be easier to see around me where the goggles are obstructing. The Nreal glasses work pretty well their problem is software support. The googles look pretty dumb for a post-iphone era Apple device too.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So I bought three straps (kiwi comfort, kiwi battery, and bobovr m3) for the q3 with the intention of returning two. Very quickly I learned I was wrong about two things I had assumed.

The battery on the back of the strap does not make the headset feel heavier. I can’t say if it makes it feel more balanced per se, but it does not make it feel worse and with the q3’s battery so quick to run out that’s a big deal.

Secondly the bobo is the most comfortable by a mile. It looked awkward in photos and makes a bad first impression with feeling janky and the install being much more awkward. Both kiwi slip securely onto the q3 side strap holder and click into place. The bobo you just smash a plastic slip over the holder and it wedges into place. The top strap attaches weird. When I first put it on it felt wobbly like it would slip off. I get the sense this is a q2 product that was minimally modified for the q3.

Despite that it’s amazingly comfortable for long sessions. No other headset or strap I’ve ever tried is near as comfortable. While it doesn’t feel as secure as the other straps it doesn’t seem to move during play in any significant way. The battery works just as well as the kiwi though it’s a bit bigger and more awkward balanced against being replaceable. After about fifteen minutes I was converted. The other straps are going back. I had also bought the amvr facial replacement but it seems unnecessary with the bobo so I might return it too.

My wife had it on for like thirty seconds and wanted her own so we’ve got a q2 version otw. I’m officially a halo style convert.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

BrainDance posted:

Or if it's something that needs that lidar camera or whatever I guess I can use my wife's iphone.

Dunno about Android but Eye Measure is free on iPhone and does it. I was using it on someone else but I checked it on me and it matched the ipd my eye doctor measured

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've been getting horrible motion sickness on my Q3 in things that used to be fine on my Q1 but I'd guess not touching VR for a year or two has completely erased my vr legs. I hadn't tried Skyrim VR since release when there were barely compatible mods so I downloaded a wabbajack list and gave it a go and instantly got ill just wandering around a little. Maybe my 3080 12gb wasn't keeping up but it seemed smooth enough.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

What is the most comfortable Quest 3 head strap? I don't care about looks or gadgets, just displacing the weight comfortably.

a page ago I compared 3 that I bought and preferred the bobovr m3

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

it is definitely personal fit so if you can shop at some place with permissive returns then just buy several and return what doesn't feel comfortable. I thought the bobo halo style looked dumb and awkward until I finally tried one and my wife quickly converted too. The price on the official stuff seemed kinda excessive so I didn't try them tho

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Has anyone tried to use any kind of walking in place tracking with Skyrim or Blade and Sorcery? It seems like the two apps people used to use natural locomotion and vrocker stopped getting updates and don’t work with current Steamvr very well. Not sure if there are alternatives.

Thought it might help my motion sickness. Trying to jog in place while holding down the stick wasn’t enough to trick my brain.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Roadie posted:

Swing your arms like a cartoon character while walking in game. It may sound ridiculous, but it actually helps quite a lot.

Just swinging them around while you push forward on the stick or using some addon?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The passthrough quality on the Q3 is pretty good, but I wish it was better utilized in software. Like I want additional ways to access the data like maybe have a passthrough window you could set that would always be showing through to the camera like a little hole in your headset. Maybe it's something they could make easier for game devs to support. Like in Walkabout golf if my cats make a weird noise and I go tap to passthrough to check it pauses multiplayer and can be a little buggy so I just lift the headset instead. I wish I could more like hold up an item in the game to look through that would show the passthrough contained to a rendertexture. I dunno how easy that data is to access for devs. The last time I played around with VR dev passthrough was barely a thing.

When you create your guardian borders it also seems to map some 3D space data I wish would be used in your guardian borders. Rather than just a big barrier it would be cool if you could start to see the edge of your couch as you get near it. It also seems to track when my cats wander through the space during setup as a point cloud and that could also be passed through to guardian so you would know if something enters your vr space (it would also make it a hell of a lot less disorienting if someone walks up to you when you've got headphones + vr on).

I want more middle ground options between goofy AR games where monsters hide behind your couch and VR poo poo that totally isolates you into VR space.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

ScreenDoorThrillr posted:

Meta doesn't give access to the camera feeds or detailed room geometry for privacy reasons

If you can make AR games you must get some access to that data. I could see limitations on how it is accessed, but straight rendering to a texture seems unlikely to be totally impossible in some way

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If that was the case why did Apple make it look really dumb. I don't think most people will go in public wearing them those are just weirdos doing it probably for the internet points.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Seems like we have several lifetimes worth of zombie shooters.

When I last was paying attention to vr there was widespread bemoaning the facebook takeover, but I guess now it's good guy facebook vs evil apple? It all seems like nerd poo poo easy to cast as incrementally dystopian to me :shrug: I don't think $3500 headsets are much of a doom on the horizon yet. Play some games on whatever is your thing.

We're still enjoying walkabout golf, but we tried dungeons of eternity and township tale. Dungeons of eternity makes a poor first impression by being somewhat ugly even on Q3 graphics mode and starting you with a long unskippable boring intro while they explain some half rear end lore in a dark room. Then it goes into a janky tutorial, but it seems promising once we got playing as the combat felt solid.

Township had the opposite problem where we could not play the tutorial at all as the server always seemed to be down and we couldn't launch our own tutorial server. We've tried twice and the reddit has other people complaining about it so maybe things are broken on the quest version. When we tried to play it was pretty confusing and while I'm sure we could watch some youtube guides I think we'll just bail and try to refund.

Hopefully we can find some crafting/exploring/rpg coop alternatives.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Light Brigade is pretty fun. It's a much better looking game than Dungeons of Eternity both technically and stylistically. WW2 Souls is a decently novel idea. Only problem is I'm terrible and get killed constantly. I wish there was some kinda melee option as I got killed by a dog while I tried to reload in a panic. I wish there was an easier mode so I could just vibe on its cool mood more, but I guess it wouldn't be sufficiently Soulsy with an option.

I played some more Dungeons of Eternity and it's a lot easier when I turned off teleport and used direct movement. It's too hard to backpedal in teleport and you get swarmed easily. I like how in Light Brigade you can have both teleport and direct movement so you can use direct to fine tune and teleport to move long distances, but I don't think that's an option in DoE. Maybe with spells once I actually unlock some.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Blade and Sorcery seems more like a serial killer simulator than a fantasy adventure.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I need a good adventure game with skeletons and swords and stuff, what are some good choices there?

I've heard good things about Ancient Dungeons, but I elected to try Dungeons of Eternity first which I wouldn't call an adventure game. You do get to hit skeletons with swords if that's what you want, but there's nothing beyond combat and it's a bit janky.

Also on my wishlist are Ironstrike, Zenith, Battle Talent, and Darksword but I can't attest to their quality on that they looked interesting. Skyrim might be the best for going on a fantasy adventure that isn't just combat in vr.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

AccountSupervisor posted:

Oh poo poo I didnt realize Legendary Tales was hitting 1.0 on Friday 2/8.

Dungeons of Eternity is my favorite curent VR game so Im super stoked for this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33okJlOzjoA

art doesn't look bad, but the trailer being only fighting skeletons in pretty similar environments makes me wonder how much game is in there

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

pcvr seems so niche that if you want games with serious effort directed towards them then you'd probably have to accept hardcore wargame prices on the games. Otherwise its gonna stay low effort prototypes and quest ports. If the psvr2 took off then you'd get higher quality ports at least, but it seems like it isn't doing so well (surprised Sony stuck with wired on it). Though even with the immense sales of psvr1 devices I remember scuttlebutt from devs that they weren't selling that many games on it. Not sure if that's just discoverability on PS store vs Quest Store or psvr ended up forgotten in a box faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

is there a way to get steamvr to have a transparent background/environment? I know it can't access the passthrough on the Q3, but if it was transparent it would be showing the passthrough on virtual desktop.

Also, drat I wish Dungeons of Eternity was easier. You go down so quickly once a couple demons get to you. I'm old and suck at games let me have grandpa mode. Me and my wife play but we both get rolled pretty easily even on the easiest dungeons. We got in a couple multiplayer games which didn't really solve the problem because now I'm half an observer as other people do poo poo and we struggle to keep up. Maybe it gets easier with more gear/perks, but I'm earning them slowly from always failing dungeons.