Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I never got into Echo VR before but I spent about an hour vs bots tonight and it is really, really fun. Anybody who hasn't tried it before should give it a shot. I'm considering getting a Quest just for that once it releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Lucky Palmer called that out as being inaccurate. Would definitely be better to get some real numbers from Facebook.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Chronos is on sale for $5 in the Oculus store.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I really don't care about look to aim because I just want to drive around. The shooty parts of GTA always bored me anyway. Definitely giving that mod a try.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
It's a shame Anton hates Oculus because H3VR on a Quest port would be pretty awesome.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

BadMedic posted:

Bit late to the discussion, but I like that H3VR only has hotdogs to shoot. Real guns with realistic handling shooting humanoid targets would be too much for me.

It's weird. Games like Doom 2016 are no issue, but I straight up can't handle the violence in blade and sorcery.

I like the idea of the hot dogs vs human targets but I wish they had some weight to them and didn't flop around like they're made of balloons.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Cartoon Man posted:

Even Cracked is being dumb.

Valve is so cruel, omg.

"Even Cracked" lol

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I've never pre-ordered a game in my life but gently caress it, I just did for HL:A.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I thought it was off putting how many of the female corpses were in bras and panties because they had to be sexy for some reason.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I really like the teleport movement in Alyx and the menu for gun selection.With holster games I always forget where stuff is. I also like that you don't have to hold the grip button constantly.

I don't like the combat though, the enemies are bullet sponges and every fight is just hiding in cover and popping out when they reload, repeat 5x.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm only on chapter 8 so maybe it comes up at the end, but right now I'm really sad I don't get the gravity. That just seems like it's built for a VR.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity with HL: Alyx, did anyone else find the Antlions the most fun enemy type to engage with?

The Combine are just a shade too meaty with their health on the standard grunts, though popping the gas tank's always fun, and the headcrabs just feel a little too chunky as well with four pistol bullets to kill apiece. Having the Antlions losing a leg per pistol bullet, and gratuitously popping from one more to their belly, was a nice change of pace.

Yeah I was most excited for the combine combat before release but it was a huge let down. Every fight just seemed to be "hide behind cover, wait for them to reload, pop out and shoot them a couple times, repeat". Being aggressive is harshly punished and hunkering down seems to be encouraged by the mechanics. It was repetitive and frankly boring after the first couple of fights. Plus they can shoot you in the face while you are unloading a clip into them, so flanking or ambushing doesn't help all that much. I really think the gravity gun or some other way to use physics in a fight would have helped a lot. Hopefully mods can tighten up the combat eventually.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is there a different way to download Beatsaber Plalists than Beat Drop? Every time I try to add a .bplist file I get an uhandled Java exception error message. There's an issue open on Github for it but there hasn't been any activity on it for months.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I don't get motion sickness from smooth movement but I also just don't really like it most of the time. It feels weird to have your head slide along smoothly like you're being pulled in a wagon. I thought the teleport movement in Alyx plenty immersive most of the time, I think it was the sound design that really made it work compared to other games.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Dietrich posted:

It creates a funnel that leads people to extreme places completely isolated and bubbled from other viewpoints that can provide the balance needed to stay in touch with reality.

That's every social media website in the world including this one.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm probably going to pick one up to play with the wife on my rift. I'm trying to think of good 2 player games with cross play, I'm thinking Eleven Table Tennis, Rec Room and Echo Arena. Anything else good with cross play?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
e: never mind

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
This is probably old news but I just saw the MS Flight Sim is getting VR support this year. I'm not much of a flight sim guy but this looks really sweet, like a turbocharged google earth. It will probably need a pretty beefy rig though.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is the kart game cross buy? I don't know how to tell from the store page.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Really liking this so far. The only bad thing is the head strap, to get it non-blurry I had to cinch it tight and it left a red mark on my forehead. I'll probably end up shelling out either for the elite strap or a third party equivalent when one gets released.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is there a way to launch Squadron from virtual desktop on the quest 2? I can see all of my steam VR games but don't see Squadron, I launch it through origin.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Just refunded Squadrons, doesn't seem worth it right now in for VR. I went to the Virtual Desktop discord and there are 6 manual steps you have to go through to start it in VR every time, the whole appeal of the quest is that I can just put it on and start playing.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
That doesn't work for me, it starts in flat screen. These are the steps from the discord:

quote:

LOADING EPIC STORE SWS IN VRD (thanks Vippy!):
Ok. Here we go. For Star Wars: Squadrons -- At least from Origin/Epic
1 - Close out of all steam and oculus software. Might even need to end task on the OVRServer/OVRServices.
2 - Launch the game as normal. I'd recommend windowed or borderless. Not full screen.
3 - Use your preferred controller real quick to make sure the game registers it properly.
4 - connect to virtual desktop. Launch Steam VR.
5 - Go into settings and conver to VR.
6 - Confirm you are able to see it in Virtual Desktop and confirm on your controller of choice.
If controller doesn't work, I was able to get it to work by telling the controller not to interact with desktop in Virtual Desktop. After i togged that off and back on it worked as expected

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm fine with banning people from a specific game for trolling, but banning your entire account effectively bricks your device and takes away all of your purchases and that's not ok, especially since it looks like you have basically 0 chance of getting a human to review your case after getting banned.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Jakabite posted:

Any goons playing Echo Arena? Just got my Quest 2. Only issue is the FOV isn’t incredible but then I don’t know if this is standard as I’ve not done much vr in the past. Would be good to play with people regularly as it seems like the sort of game where a well coordinated team would make it ten times as fun

Yeah, Echo Arena is awesome and I've noticed the match making is going a lot faster since the Q2 launch.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Does the Quest need an internet connection for virtual desktop? Seems like you could buy a wireless router to directly connect to the PC and nothing else, then connect the Quest to that router's wifi.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad is on sale on steam for $7, is that pretty good in VR even if you don't have a HOTAS?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The Quest 2 controllers also give me problems with H3VR, because the ring is on top they bump into each other when I try to rack the slide or using a bolt action. Didn't have that problem on the rift.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Does Viveport work pretty well? I'm thinking of signing up for a month to play through Moss and Walking Dead SS.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Viveport works pretty well, everything runs through Steam VR so I had no problem playing with Virtual Desktop. It's kind of deceptive though because Walking Dead isn't included with the monthly version, you have to buy an annual pass but there's no indication of that until you've already signed up. Just started playing Vertigo and I think I'll also check out Crisis Vrigade 2 and Moss but I doubt I'll sign up for more than a month.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Anybody know of some good, short horror VR stuff to show off at a Halloween party, for people who've never used VR before?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I wish they added gravity gun, that would be so much fun in VR. Maybe they'll license the engine some day.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Epic is going to give away Elite: Dangerous next week if anybody is waiting to pull the trigger on that.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Ota_Himuro posted:

Quest 2 64gigz, since it's mainly for LINK/VD, but I held back on buying 10s of meters of USB-C 3.0 since I've only heard good things about VD. I cannot confirm any of those, I've only had rage and ctd with that app

The VD dev is active in the discord, give that a shot.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
If you buy a cross-buy game on the Quest, can you do multiplayer vs someone using a Rift at the same time? Thinking about getting Walkabout Mini Golf but only if I can do multiplayer that way.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
You aren't allowed to have a picture with a gun in it? That's so bizarre, I have some at a gun range from highschool, guess I need to go purge those before I lose my account. The state of California and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Zaphod42 posted:

This is really cool too. I didn't realize Owlchemy made Virtual Rickality. Huh!

Continuing the old GDC talks about VR development train, here's one about porting TF2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpr0FE2ATaY

Wait, you can play TF2 in VR right now? Why does nobody talk about this?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Eleven Table Tennis got a 90hz update on the quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I think the default one is fine, not great but fine. I'll probably pick up a third party replacement strap at some point but I'm not in a huge hurry.