Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

Meh I'm just going to wait for Oculus Link to happen before messing around with PCVR then.

:same:

I keep checking every few days to see if there’s a release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Extremely impressed at how well Thrill Of The Fight runs on Quest. But this is a game that could realllly use the halo-style head mount.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Pistol Whip got a lot more fun once I realized I didn't have to physically hold both controllers. What a cool game.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Gort posted:

D'you just leave one lying around or something?

yup

mashed_penguin posted:

Thats what I was doing and I used my offhand like I was actually holding a pistol.

yup

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Are you guys playing with Aim Assist on? because... I certainly am.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Do I have to shoot on the specific notes of the song or can I just be in time?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It's not a "pure" rhythm game and it's I agree it's not always easy to be right on the money with the beat, but I do think it's a lot more fun when you're trying to go for style points to the rhythm of the song.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I wanna play Stormlands and I'd also like to get back into H3VR which I never gave a fair shake. what I'm saying is...

Link when

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Teleport movement sucks dick.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Let's see, Valve has been heavily involved in the VR space since the Vive, currently makes VR hardware, AND announced they were developing VR titles. Meanwhile they have never even hinted they were working on any kind of flat screen Half Life follow-up.

but yeah how could they betray us with this shocking news??

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm really interested to see how Valve tackles movement. Teleport? Smooth locomotion? Floating/flying? (I realize not all games can be set in space but it really is the best form of movement)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The physics look great. I cannot deal with facecrabs jumping at my face though. And I will probably rip my headset off if I get sucked up into a barnacle

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Man I'm going to have to stop reading about HL:A. I mean, I want to know everything about the game, but there are so many dumb motherfuckers out there spreading complete poo poo about VR. I hate feeling all console warriory, just stfu and let people enjoy things nerds.

it's Valve, they'll give in eventually

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I think a lot of people outside of VR don't know there are headsets other than VIVE and Index.

The fact that Quest works standalone doesn't even seem to be part of the equation. Everybody is saying "I need a $600 headset AND a powerful gaming PC?! I don't have a powerful gaming pc!"

I guess most people are talking about Alyx right now and that won't work on Quest standalone though

yeah perception of VR is still stuck in the 2016 era

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I certainly could use gun yaw correction in Pistol Whip. I'm already at -10° for the grip to line up with my Index controller (checking my peeking through the nose opening of the headset), but it also could use like 5° of yaw to the left, because IMO the gun doesn't sit right in that plane. When I use my second hand and apply a constant bend to compensate, I manage to hit a bit more accurately.

it annoys me that this isn't a standard option on every VR shooter

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

drat, Oculus Link works like a dream. I certainly didn't notice any latency. The only problem right now is my Anker cord is sticking out of my headset at an awkward angle. I'll definitely be getting the official Link cord.

Also I read some reports that it was hard to set up, but it was drat-near plug and play for me once my Oculus software and Quest were both updated.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 23, 2019

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Mic doesn't seem to work with the Link. Kind of a bummer for Pokerstars.

Also after being on a Quest for a while I forgot how much having a cord suuucks.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I played Arizona Sunshine up until the mineshaft. I don't want to keep playing.

Ha same. I did the same with a spidery-cave in one of the Serious Sams. VR games need level select cheat codes.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Okay gang, what are some good chill games besides Pokerstars that I can play while watching something in a pinned Virtual Desktop window? Seated preferably.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

bizwank posted:

Like, how chill? Blast the Past is seated and goes at whatever pace you want, and is free.

Wow cool, I'll check it out.

Chill like Poker is chill - something to do while I watch football, for instance.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Elenkis posted:

Elite: Dangerous if you're into doing some chill space trucking or mining.

You know I would be way more into Elite if they added a virtual cockpit for Oculus. I don't feel like hauling out the HOTAS, like... ever.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

this is exactly what I want but it appears Oculus isn't really supported unfortunately.

I might check out VTOL, though.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 25, 2019

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I have a few games on steam I'd like to try in VR (Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky, Skyrim). If I get an Oculus Quest do I have to rebuy them? Can I use the PC Link and how well does that work on an older computer?

I think Skyrim VR is separate but the others you should be good to go.

The PC Link works as well as any PC VR, so it just depends on what kind of video card and CPU you're running.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

I almost never break out my VR stuff anymore, and there's really two reasons.

One, the cable is a huge headache. Taking it out, putting it away, getting it twisted, getting it tangled on things.

Two, basically none of the genres I regularly play have decent VR games because why would you bother putting them in VR, and why would I bother putting on a headset to play them if they did.

I also have a child and a cat, both of which make it unappealing, although my son absolutely love-love-loves Job simulator and uses the kit more than me. Which is probably not great for a four year old. Eh.

I love VR as a concept but I sort of feel it was a bad investment for me personally, and I just wish it wasn't such a hassle and I look forward to the days of wireless PC VR so much.

I was thinking about this and I realized this is the same for every console I have - my PS4 is essentially a Rocket League machine 95% of the time, even though my PS4 library is comically long. My Xbox is mainly used to play Gears with my buds. I think this is just the nature of gaming as an adult.

There's a few games that keeps the Quest on my desk - Poker, Thrill of the Fight boxing, Beat Saber. But I still like going in and trying the new hot VR game or demo just because, like you, I love VR as a concept.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

point against the Quest: it's flat out not as comfortable as the Rift S. The Rift S has the Halo strap found in the PSVR and the Quest has a headstrap found in the OG Oculus Rift.

And look, I know you're supposed to pull it down to the base of your skull and it's just not long enough to do that. And speaking from CV1 experience, even when you do that it's still not as good as a halo strap. I really wish Oculus would release a halo strap for the Quest because this poo poo hurts my face after a while.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I was playing H3VR and I realized what I want - a "rear view mirror" for myself in VR. Between the lack of peripheral vision and the difficulty of quickly swinging around because of the weight on my head, it's very easy to get snuck up on. Which I do not find pleasant in VR. A quick-180 button is probably useful but could get disorienting.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

and Poker Stars VR obviously

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Huh, I didn't realize the Vive Deluxe Audio Straps were sold out everywhere. Really hope Oculus releases some type of better strap solution for the Quest.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Throwing stuff in VR is like punching in a dream.

100% serious: Poker Stars VR has the best throwing mechanics in VR. Everyone should copy them.

Superhot has the worst, annoyingly.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tip posted:

I got Death Lap and I'm returning it.

I really love the combat racing genre, and VR is perfect for it, but the driving physics suck, the race track design is bad, and the gameplay isn't fun.

If you want VR car combat, go for Blazerush instead. It may not put you in the driver's seat, but it's better in every other way.

That's a bummer. I was just gonna post if anyone had tried it and liked it. It looks awesome from the trailer.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Wondering if anyone knows what’s going on here:

Playing Stormland with Oculus Link, and when I move my very quickly I can see the “edge” of the frame like it can’t quite keep up with my head movement. Very noticeable when I look up and down.

Is this just my 1070 not having the juice or what? Maybe a Link issue?

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 11, 2019

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hand tracking is cool. It needs some more time in the oven but freeing myself from holding the controllers for basic tasks felt great and I think it could be a big deal. Already dreaming of having this for Poker Stars.

Obviously the UI wasn’t built around hands and everything still has to conform to the pointer system of the Touch controllers. To that end, aim/pinching works okay but isn’t super easy and it’s difficult to keep your pointer in place (though it’s more accurate when you hold out your arm “closer” to the window you’re trying to manipulate). I think they’ll really have to rethink this UI.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

my only problems with the Link right now is the Anker cable I'm using is too short and sticks out of the headset at a weird angle. So yeah I'm probably ordering this thing.

the other problem is that I guess my 1070 is no longer good enough to play the new games? it cannot hang with Stormland. what a bummer.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hands are a little janky for me but not straight up terrible. I went in very much expecting a work-in-progress so I'm not disappointed at what they have so far.

What wasn't great was just trying to use the UI that's currently designed for very accurate pointers.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Am I correct in that the Quest Link mic still doesn't work? This seems insane. I just want to play Poker Stars but it's not worth it without voice.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lemming posted:

I thought poker stars was on the Quest too?

It's not as good. Way worse framerate, for one. But the bigger sin is that it doesn't let me watch Youtube on a big window above everyone's heads while playing poker.

I can't believe they haven't added the Quest Link mic yet. It's such a basic feature.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

God I would love Touch support for E:D. I'd actually play it, for one.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I thought the teleport system was great in Budget Cuts. Being able to peak through before you warp is brilliant.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thank The Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Looks so dope but I will need a day one mod to remove all Barnacles because just hell no