Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah if someone is considering flight sims (which are a huge use case for VR) and whatnot I think it's irresponsible to only recommend the Quest at this point.

If I can read the dials and displays in DCS on the Rift S but they're blurry or screen doored on the Quest with the link, then the Rift S is the only choice out of the two.

It'd make a hell of a lot more sense to say "Wait to buy either until November when the Link gets into people's hands outside of controlled Oculus demos"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Zero setup outside of plugging it in and it has as pretty drat good display if you're in the IPD range for it.

Yeah the LCD screen on the S is a bit sharper and has less screen door than the Quest's pentile OLED screen despite having slightly less resolution on paper. Assuming you're in the IPD range.

It can be the difference between aircraft displays and instruments being readable and them being a blurry mess.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

As awesome as the Index looks I just have a hard time recommending it to people because of the price, especially as a first VR headset. I would never recommend it to someone starting out.

I could buy a Rift S and two Quests for the price of one Index setup. It's just so much more expensive that it really only makes sense for an enthusiast who knows they want to heavily use VR.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So is there a way to negate VR sickness in blade and sorcery?

H3VR gives me no issues, Pavlov is fine, but for some reason B&S gives me a hell of a lot of eye strain and a bit of nausea. First game to really do it to me :saddowns:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give H3VR a try, you can slap a grenade launcher or single-shot shotgun on to a handgun :unsmigghh:.

And then add half a dozen barrel extenders to make that handgun three metres long, followed by slapping on a million rail adapters so you can literally cover your gun with Christmas lights and Pride flags.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Has any company talked about two player VR stuff?

With the Quest could you have a buddy (also wearing a Quest) in the room with you also in the game?

I'm thinking of a shooting game like timecop or something might be good.

Unless you live in a warehouse I'm struggling to think of a situation that doesn't end with one player smacking the other in the face.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Alright, refunded B&S. No matter what I did it just made me feel terrible compared to every other VR game.

Taking that credit, I was thinking of either Gorn, Hotel RnR, SuperHot VR, or Job Simulator. A y opinions?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

rage-saq posted:

Gorn is going to be similar to B&S so i would stick with Beat Saber, Superhot VR, Space Pirate Trainer, and maybe Job Simulator.

It's something with B&S specifically, not freeform movement. I can play hours of Pavlov and H3VR no problem.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's an automatic rifle in the weapon pool that fires the sci-fi rounds used by the futuristic handgun and Blade Runner revolver. You will not want anything else with it in your hands.

Yeah the sci-fi Thompson is hilariously overpowered. Instantly explodes Sosigs if you hit them in an unarmored spot.

But yeah you get some real fun runs on Ricky Dicky. Had one where I managed to pull both the Team Fortress rocket launcher and the minigun, followed by a run with one of the tiny useless lovely .25 ACP pistols and a dustpan.

I'm looking forward to the future additions Anton's been talking about with the new Sosigun sets and new starting setups and loot tables. Personally, I'm hoping some of the weirder character starts from the old Rise of the Rotwieners come back. There were some wacky starts. If I recall one was a preacher that only started with a Bible you had to bludgeon sausages to death with until you could find a gun.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 21, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Picked up a couple new games over the last couple weeks.

Fallout 4 VR is currently like $20 and while it sure as hell isn't worth the $80 it normally is for $20 I'd say it worth it for the experience of exploring weird fallout locations in VR

Also grabbed Hotel RnR. It's a bit content bare right now. I breezed through most of the game in like 4 hours. But if it goes on sale it's definitely worth it. Smashing the hell out of hotel rooms is surprisingly cathartic.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah as seconding armswinger.

It takes a little practice to be able to smoothly move into a room with a rifle up to clear it but other than that it's the most effective and has the bonus (at least for me) of causing pretty much no motion sickness compared to other smooth movement options

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It's a shame Anton hates Oculus because H3VR on a Quest port would be pretty awesome.

If I recall he mentioned in the subreddit he wasn't going to make a Quest port because the weaker hardware would require essentially a new game built from scratch with sacrifices to the physics and whatnot he didn't want to make, not because of any Oculus hate.

Like the game is a goofy detailed gun simulator that happens to have gameplay built on it. There's some things it's just not going to be, but to be honest I personally don't care since I've long since got my money's worth and continue to have fun with it

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 5, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Shine posted:

I remember the original draft of T&H let you set different types of progressions. Like, standard progression, versus "themed" ones like only spawning pistols, or modern rifles, or whatever else. It looks like the current version only lets you customize what category of weapons you start with, and the progression is otherwise "standard" no matter what. Am I missing something, or did they remove the different progression types?

They were removed in the rework but supposedly are going to be back at some point. One of the reasons they added those new sets of sosiguns (western, WW2) in the last update is to give enemies more appropriate weapons when they eventually add the other loot table options back.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

BadMedic posted:

Bit late to the discussion, but I like that H3VR only has hotdogs to shoot. Real guns with realistic handling shooting humanoid targets would be too much for me.

It's weird. Games like Doom 2016 are no issue, but I straight up can't handle the violence in blade and sorcery.

Yeah same. The main reason I refunded Blade and Sorcery was the nausea but goddamn if the violence making me feel uncomfortable didn't also heavily contribute to my decision.

Like Gorn at least is cartoony and over the top even if enemies are basically blood piñatas. B&S though, the enemies often have this weird scared look on their faces that just made me feel like a loving monster.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Hellsau posted:

well H3VR is adding the one thing I wanted most to the game:

Goddamn finally. The number of times I've pulled a clip of ammo in take and hold and had no clue what the hell the colour-coding meant...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

It doesn't sound like Robert Guillaume is voicing Eli. Or maybe I'm getting confused. I'm hearing the voice of another actor. I don't know his name though, and I can't remember what I've seen him in.

Considering he's dead it's understandable.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Lemming posted:

What are you taking this to mean? The most we have is Oculus said they "partnered" with them, but it's clearly using all their technology (screens, tracking solution, lenses).

From what I understand the distinction is that they're using dedicated hardware on the Quest to do the hand tracking (the same chip that's doing the tracking I think), and that's probably going to require more effort to duplicate on the S since that's driven entirely by the computer. I don't know what the latest word is, whether it's "never" or "maybe."

The camera arrangement on the Quest also seems to be key (four cameras on the front at angles vs. two front, two side, one top for the Rift S), given repeatedly hand tracking is lost anytime your hands aren't in full view of all four cameras.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

It's probably just decision remorse, just reading the OP with Rift S crossed out in the categories 3 times was a bit disheartening.

It's an excellent VR headset and likely the slightly better choice if you only care about PCVR given the higher refresh rate, better headstrap and less screen door effect (assuming you're in the IPD range). I bought one just before OC6 and considered returning it after all the gloom and doom from the announcements but a couple months on, I'm glad I didn't.

The OP was written when people were high on the Oculus Connect announcements and has a bit of hyperbole.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 21, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It may not have physical IPD but it has quite a bit of slack in the eye relief area.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I think I'm getting close to the end of Rise of the Rotweiners after around 8-10 hours. Honey Hamlet done, 4/5 teleporters activated, finished most of the quests in Weinerton, the lake, and church. It's a hell of a lot of content considering it's just one submode. Just have to finish up Old Weinerton and then I think I'm ready for the endgame. The puking rotweiners can get hosed though. Those things will absolutely wreck you in two hits if you don't notice them sneaking up on you.

The rewards for the Weinterton quests are hilarious though considering the headache it takes to complete them. I don't know what's better, the gun store owner rewarding you with an impractical old-timey gatling gun and a picatinny railed knife for crawling through turret infested bases to get pacification squad guns, or the antique weapon dealer giving you his anime body pillow as a final reward.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 26, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not a hard knock against a specific model, but it's a good rule of thumb that you should skip the "1.0" generation of new PC tech and wait for the first revision. The 20X0's are a whole new line, especially with new protocols like OpenVR, and for something you'll be working off for several years it's better to wait for the version that's built on what's learned by throwing a new piece of hardware at several million customers in thousands of different PC permutations for a few months.

I mean new as in it's a new microarchitecture?

Sure they're the first Turing cards, but the 10xx series like the 1080 were also the first Pascal cards. If your standard is "Don't use the first line of cards of a video card architecture" then given how often they're refreshed you basically are telling people to never buy a video card

The 2070 and 2070 S are perfectly fine cards and still the best bang for your buck for VR in my view. It's not really anything new if you aren't using applications that use the tensor or ray tracing cores, which you aren't with VR.

Unless you're talking about VirtualLink support but nothing really uses it at this point and given the 20xx has it and the 10xx series doesn't you can always just not use it if by chance the 20xx specific implementation turns out to be not ideal whenever VirtualLink products come out a couple years from now.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 26, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Uhh yes? The screen door is super obvious.

Yeah I've tried both the Quest and the Rift S and the screen door is definitely more noticable on the Quest.

Like it's not a deal breaker or anything especially if you're into the rest of the Quest's features but it's totally a thing.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Speaking of H3VR I finally beat Rise of the Rotweiners last night and overall, it was a lot of fun. Diverse enemies, decent loot system that had me using a bunch of guns I normally wouldn't, and situations that actually let you use melee properly.

I'd say my biggest complaints though had to do with the pacfication squad bases and the end game. Those turrets were just annoying. Their weaks spots are so small that given your limited ammo, the only sensible option is to ignore them and run right past them. This was especially true for the bridge at the end. After I disabled the jammers I just booked it as fast as I could to the end without firing once.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

if you want to feel slightly less bad about that; Do the quests for the Wieners that are spread around, like arming the traps, killing the Hives, etc. It gets you a Ballistic Shield. Alternatively; Get a .308 rifle, slap a scope on it, and lie down on the hill nearby.

Oh yeah I finished off pretty much every quest except the final trap for the power tools guy. But even with the gun shop's full power rifle tricked out, the AWM, and some military grade guns pilfered from a pacification base it just took too many shots. Like if you can't hit them right in the middle they can shrug off even high powered rifle shots. I would have much rather faced more pacification weiners than all the turrets

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're aiming at the wrong spot on the Burger Turrets; You want to hit the hemispherical nub that's just slightly off the side of the central body.

Still, it ended up being consistently easier to just zig zag sprint after popping a Cyclops powerup and just blast any soldier goons in my way with eye lasers.

The only problem is using the eye lasers hurts my real life eyes

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

IIRC the fingers are another thing he added after people wouldn't stop asking about them when the Index was released, but he resolved to make them as unsettling as possible in protest.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

Rift S would save you a little money and get you a little more comfort and visual acuity at the cost of not being able to use it untethered or wireless; personally I think that's a bad trade-off, but there's a case to be made either way.
Index is the headset HLA is explicitly designed for and should theoretically get you much better hand presence in that game due to individual finger tracking, but you're paying a lot for that feature that may or may not be worth it; I'd only suggest it if you have money to burn.

If one of his main use cases is flight sims, and he's specifically looking for less screen door, the higher clarity of the Rift S could make or break things like reading instruments and displays so I really wouldn't recommend the Quest in this case.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 30, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah like I can see watching a movie using the Rift S speakers being annoying but for the average game it's fine.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ricky Dicky Random can actually be easier because sometimes you'll start with a goddamn minigun as your first drop.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

IIRC Anton mentioned at some point one of the big goals for next year was a new take and hold map, something more outdoorsy for long range combat.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Good lord those new era specific H3VR Take and Hold characters are hard.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Lockback posted:

Yeah, he said they weren't balanced yet, but the old west ones are basically impossible with a rift.

Yeah I don't know if the damage is currently bugged for the new sosiguns but even on arcade difficulty I just get melted.

Love the concept though.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

H3VR Take & Hold and the zombie thing, whatever it's called are pretty good. Especially the zombie thing. It feels pretty badass to decimate a small horde of zombies with a bolt-action rifle and a break-action shotgun. I was also very surprised at how good the armswinging is, besides making it very awkward to backpedal.
Are there any slot upgrades available in the zombie map though at some point? They're way too few imo.

Do any of the other H3VR maps have good proper games in them?

Some of the arenas in the Cappocolesseum are pretty fun. Specifically the one that's a wave based defense whose name escapes me right now.

Meat Grinder is a bit short but it's pretty good. You have to find three pieces of meat in a spooky building maze full of traps and deadly robots. It's the only mode that makes real good use of the flashlight.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Lockback posted:

.....the what now?

In the corner of the store with the woman who wants you to set up the radio towers. There's a backpack. It can be a bit glitchy to get on and off, but when it works it gives you enough slots to carry like, four batteries on its own.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

DoubleT2172 posted:

When you find it is it permanent or do you have to go get it each run?

Each run. Honestly getting the teleporter near Weinerton (the one around all the barfing zombies) should really be the third thing you do after resetting the traps and doing the graveyard quest for good melee weapons. The stores there have some seriously good poo poo.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It's one of the reasons Blade and Sorcery was the first Steam I ever refunded (the other was it gave me motion sickness like nothing else in VR). Stabbing realistic people made me feel like a monster, especially when they have these terrible looks of terror on their faces when they get grabbed/stabbed.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It's a bit trickier to do with a Rift S or Quest because of that kind of movement can't use the cameras to track. I find I get the best results by making a kind of exaggerated motion over my head. The controller will vibrate slightly when the backpack with stick.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

FWIW I tried to install Rec Room the other day on the Oculus App and the install failed with the same "Your antivirus has blocked the install" message. No MSE, but I do have Windows Defender enabled.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Man what was Valve thinking automatically turning on their weird supersampling algorithm in the latest SteamVR update? Made all my games look like a blurry mess until I tracked it down in the advanced settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Luneshot posted:

Is there any reason you couldn't somehow manually move the Rift S lenses closer/farther apart to match your IPD?

You'd have to physically modify the headset, but does the software/LCD display make some sort of assumptions about the lens position that would totally break image matching/focusing/whatever if you moved them a few mm?

IIRC headsets with adjustable IPD are two smaller screens, one for each eye. Non-adjustable like the Rift S is a single large panel. Moving the lenses on it wouldn't really do anything.