Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Turin Turambar posted:

What do you believe is "Unknown" here, in the Steam survey?

Rift S or Index?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Does Oculus have any plans to do an "enthusiast" grade hardware in the near future?

Thinking I might get an Index with my Spring bonus to upgrade from my CV1 and really show off my mighty PC, but if Oculus is planning something comperable it seems like it would be less hassle to play Steam stuff on an Oculus platform than the other way around, and I do have a few purchases in the Oculus store.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Honestly to someone who isn't already invested and wants to dip their toe into PCVR... if it weren't for the at-best iffy status of replacement cords, the best introductory option is a secondhand CV1 setup off someone who upgraded for ~$220-240. I have no ragrets and may pick up a basic VR-ready PC to hook it up to for local multiplayer VR if it's still working when I upgrade.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Well yeah I was being rhetorical, I still admire their gumption though, even through bumbling incompetence they still make more compelling headsets than most of the WMR offerings from major manufacturers. It feels like HTC has no idea what they're doing anymore too (I still don't get wtf the Cosmos was about lol) so the playing field is leveling out.

It's still amazing to me they shipped a $700 device that doesn't work in dim conditions.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Why isn't there a VR game where you play as a 200 foot kaiju wrecking a destructible city and fighting other monsters?

This is an oversight.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I guess I'll give it another go. Is there a nice bundled package of model, shader and texture mods to make it prettier?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Seems like going for a caster/archer type build will help mitigate some of the "wagle your sword at them until they run out of hitpoints" nature of the combat system?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

sorry if the last is a bit like giving you homework, but once you've spend a semester studying the course material you should be ready to mod skyrim.

Uuuuugh.

I was indeed genuinely hoping that someone had put together a "if you have a beefy rig, just install this one mega-mod to make the game look nice" package after all these years.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My living room is a skating rink and I'm thinking of splurging on a VR-ready gaming laptop and handing down my old HMD to it when I upgrade so I can do local 2-player shootmans and stuff.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Local multiplayer VR is also just called sports. Hope this helps

Back when VR was first a buzzword in the 90's my dad would joke when I got excited about it that there's this thing called actual reality with absolutely flawless graphics.

IOW, you're boomer-posting. :colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The best multiplayer games will come when we have full haptic feedback suits.
:wink:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Origami Dali posted:

Nothing will make it more clear how much of an out of shape hunk of poo poo you are than Thrill of the Fight, good lord.

Not an empty quote.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

played some decent walk and puzzler on viveport for a bit and was completely thrown out by a part with a bunch of gratuitous lens flare. it's esp jarring in VR because my eyes are not cameras

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Shine posted:

Onward (realisticish military shooter) is having a free weekend on Steam, and is half-price. Apparently they've improved the AI for the co-op/solo modes. I haven't messed with it since getting the Index since my gunstock was made for the Rift, but it was a fun game.

Onward is pretty fun and probably in my top hours played. I like the realistic gun handling and the presence of an active and pretty nontoxic PVE mode.

How does the gunstock work? I've never had a problem just pantomiming without something to shoulder and it seems like it would get in the way when you're doing non-rifle stuff.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Speaking of, at some point I'm planning a weekend trip to The Cities to do the Star Wars experience at The VOID with some friends. Anyone been who can say if it's worth it?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So, I realize this might be more of a SAMart ask but:

A few old friends dropped by and I let them try some VR. Removing the headset one of them dropped it on the hardwood floor and now the right eye LCD isn't working. :smith:

I was of course not an rear end in a top hat about it because she thought I had it and it was her first time doing it, but I'm still hella disappointed. Anyway, I figure a lot of you are hobbyists who have stuff laying around you upgraded from: Anyone have a working CV1 headset you'd be interested in selling? (just need the headset, my touch controllers and sensors are fine.)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Update to the friend who dropped the headset: They gifted me a $250 Best Buy card, which is more than generous given accident's happen. Looks like I'm getting a Rift S after they get their post XMas restock.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If the implementation is as bad as Skyrim I wouldn't touch it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Glad I that all the Oculus poo poo is out of stock giving me a chance to re-read the OP before I went to replace my busted CV1 with an S.

What's a good cable for link on the Quest if I don't want to spend sixty USD?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dongattack posted:

At what age can i start saying "yes" to children that might want to play with my 1st gen Rift? Anyone have experiences with kids and VR? My immense collection of sisters have taken it upon themselves to remedy the birthrate decline by themselves breeding non-stop and eventually at least one of the cute little shits will probably want to try it.

My kids (7 and 9) spend hours in rec room. The nine year old girl loves laser tag.

I hope they restock soon so I can replace my broken CV1 with a quest as they do miss it so.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Upgraded from CV1 to quest and VR with no wires in my big empty living room fuckin shreds.

What 5G router should I get for ALVR?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I got the other two eps of Vader Immortal as a Quest bonus and I can definitely tell the difference and compromises made, as good as it looks for running on a mobile phone chip. I wish that it had cross-library play.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Cross-library play? But if they purely single player.

I used the wrong phrase. Like having them in your library letting you play them on either Oculus platform.

E: Oh, wait it is. Complaint rescinded, I just had to restart my Oculus PC client.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 5, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

repiv posted:

Nvidia has a new driver toggle for Turing cards that lets you force VR games to supersample just the center of the display, and leave the periphery at native res for better performance

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-geforce-ces-2020-game-ready-driver/

Neat. Now add some RTRX to my vr games. Hell, I'll settle for the promised Mein Kraft update.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

You, of average intelligence: I will hold off and wait for the 30XX series because it will have features the 20XX series will not, as evidenced by the 20XX having features the 10XX lacks.

Me, a genius: There is, in fact, never a correct time to purchase a GPU until the Geforce ∞XX drops.
When it does, get the ∞80ti and not the ∞60 (to future-proof yourself.)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lemming posted:

Man optical inside out tracking kicks rear end

Until you try standing at parade rest. :colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Here in hellworld where economic precarity is the norm for anyone outside of the capital-controlling class, I think this thread should be welcoming to the well-heeled enthusiast building the next best thing to the holodeck, and also understand that for some people a second-hand CV1 and a several year old mid-range gaming rig is what they can afford and what lets them escape however briefly from the cruel trevail of selling their labor under capitalism and those people who have to pay attention to budget consideration are valid hobbyists, too.

I have a number of hobbies with a pricier upper range, and I try not to be lovely to the guy at the range a few lanes down from me trying to unfuck his $300 DPMS that just failed to eject, or the guy who shows up at FNM with the best Standard Deck he could make adding some draft rares to his planeswalker deck, or the guy who can't afford to get three of every new release for my star wars war dolly game.

Namaste.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 9, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Oh my god if you want to spend a good time with Nana and the fam on their iPads and poo poo Acron is the real deal. I set up Nox on my desktop so that my gal and my kids could play on the phones and PC and Quest and it was hysterically fun.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That seems like it would be a fun way to play 4x and RTS games, kind of a god's eye view.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lemming posted:

Being big and looking at tiny things is severely underrated in VR

One of the best feelings in Acron is when you snatch up one of the squirrels, bring it right up to your face, and then hurl it 300 meters into the void.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

canyoneer posted:

my wife feels the same way which is good news for me

make her wear the goggles during and create a custom passthrough camera app that plays perspective tricks

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I got Rec Room and Vader Immortal working okay over ALVR/Revive pretty well, but I'm having some trouble with Onward and Blade and Sorcery. Onward gives me the studio screen and menu screen audio but doesn't ever seem to load up the visuals. Blade and Sorcery loads up more or less normally but once I select a character I briefly see the starting room and then get dumped into what looks just to be the skybox with no geometry around me. Any suggestions from fellow goonds running these over the aether?

I plan to buy a super long powered USB3 when I come back from vaycay and mess with the first party wired option but man do I like the possibility of snap turning to shoot or stab a guy untethered.

Quest over ALVR 5g router and an i7 9700/ 2070 Super FWIW.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I am going to be crammed into economy class on an 8-hour flight tomorrow, and I think I'm gonna download some videos and look like an absolute goon wearing my Samsung Gear with over the ear headphones to try to take my mind off having my femurs compressed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

LOL leaving the quest behind. Just the phone in the gear.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I know this thread is mainly for big boy VR gear but I brought my Gear on vacation (meditation apps were great in-flight even if I probably looked like a dipshit.) I can't seem to get the store to work right and update tho. Tried reinstalling the Gear app. Unless ths price is right I want to get the "plane dropping out of the sky" experience in Face Your Fears to do during the flight home

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Anyone here use Oculus Medium? I have a little bit of a background with LightWave and a "natural" sculpting method seems like it might be a way to unleash my creative side and get some more use out of my 3d printers making little dolls for tabletop games.

Does it let you place reference photos in the environment to follow? Would it be suitable to making ~32mm war dolls to print on a resin printer?

E: Also, how is it at importing meshes, say if I want to use a default T-pose to work from?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 27, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Disappointing Pie posted:

If I have the original Rift with 3 sensors and a very beefy PC is there much point buying a Quest? The wireless is obviously the big draw...

I upgraded out of necessity when a friend dropped mine and killed one of the LCDs. The display feels crisper and wireless is nice. Just got my Link compatible cable last night and it works like a charm. Setup and calibration is a lot simpler. And the stand alone games do a lot with an old cellphone processor, but the difference between say, Vader Immortal is noticable between platforms. (Frex There's a really cool shader effect where a shrouded ghost guy has a skull under barely translucent shroud you can see if you get close that's a lot less neat looking on Quest.)

All that said, if you're mainly using it for PC stuff it's very much an incremental upgrade IMO that I wouldn't push too much if your CV1 is still working fine.

Biggest downside for me is the new Touch controller design is a little more awkward. I get why they needed to change it for inside out tracking, but I noticed it when I was able to load up Onward again after a long time not playing and the on-top tracking rings made racking a pistol slide really awkward.

E: Also depending on your environment and audiophile tendencies you may dislike the off-ear speakers versus over-ear headphones. I may end up looking for a decent but not too spendy pair of headphones myself. It's not bad by any means but I think I'd prefer good ol' cans.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 28, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

EDIT: also after 1h of standing mostly still my knees hurt.
:goonsay:

As an Old, I ended up getting knee pads for games like Onward where you need to take a knee to fire from cover and stuff on my hardwood floor. Might look into getting a big yoga/exercise mat.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Slayerjerman posted:

My son’s Occulus Quest arrives today, you fuckers better be right about this gizmo being the recommended one, cuz to get it shipped out here it cost me $175 in just shipping. Dear god please don’t let this thing be faulty or need to be returned :argh:

That's some steep shipping. They have to send it in a rocket ship?

Sorry about your house on Ganymede or whatever, but it rules and your son is gonna have a good time, on the Jovian moon you live on.

SCheeseman posted:

When I bought mine at launch, Amazon sent me two of them by mistake

:smug:

drat that's some serious bank error in your favor fortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

It happened to a few people. The packaging Oculus appears to ship to Amazon or whatever come in pairs of two, seems they occasionally forget to split them. They sent me an email, but it was worded in such a way that allowed me to ignore it and not respond (which was weird!) so I chose that option and I haven't heard from them since.

*wrings hands* boy it sure would be nice if you didn't try to get one over on us, a giant exploitative company that runs our picking and packing operation like a death march. Would you see it in your heart to send back the awesome consumer gizmo we accidentally sent you instead of gifting it to a friend, flipping it, or keeping it for sweet local multiplayer? You can keep it if you want, we won't do anything about it... but could you live with yourself?