Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going to strongly disagree with the OP. If you’re focused on racing and flying sims while dabbling in other stuff, buy a Rift S. Splurge for an Index if you really want to. The Quest library is pretty limited and all of those games are available on Rift S anyways.

There’s some debate on just how good the tethering of the Quest is going to be while Carmack and Oculus are both recommending the Rift S still as the best experience of PC driven VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SCheeseman posted:

That there is debate makes it hard to recommend hardware that may end up being obsolete in a month, if Link is considerably worse I'll edit the OP

Right, but you’re telling people to make a decision based on information that isn’t known yet. It’s a bit biased and there’s pretty decent arguments either way to be made so first time buyers can make their own decision for the device that meets their needs/desires.

The PC link mode for Quest is going to have compression artifacts as well as other handicaps to deal with the bandwidth, as well as a lower quality display with less clarity, more god rays and a lower refresh rate. It’s also less comfortable considering it’s got what’s essentially a cellphone crammed into it.

Not to mention Quest getting locked down when it comes to Beat Saber custom song mods, which is the platforms’ killer app as of now.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The average person isn't going to know or likely care all that much when they're getting a tradeoff in a device they can unplug and take with them anywhere. If it functionally works well, and it's convenient, there's zero reason to point someone towards a Rift S.

If you’re paying $400+ for a niche piece of hardware, “average person” really doesn’t count here. There’s also plenty of reasons to point someone to a Rift S if you know what they want to do with a VR headset.

The Quest is heavier and less comfortable, and there’s a number of game genres that require longer gaming sessions in which someone would want a more comfortable fit (and the extra visual clarity): Flight/racing sims and Skyrim VR are two prime examples where the added weight would become a distraction.

Beat Saber and other Oculus games on the Quest are being locked down, mod/custom song support wise. Im sure most people don’t want to buy Imagine Dragons DLC to get more out of their purchase.

Again, Carmack and Oculus have recommended the Rift S over the Quest for plenty of different use-case purposes. The USB3 tethering is going to have pretty significant compression and the Link cable is going to be what, $80? It’s pretty steep after already paying $400 for a headset.

Quest is mobile first and as such it’s games can be pretty limited, and if you’re an “average person” who doesn’t want to mess with sideloading, etc. you’re going to be locked into the Oculus Store if you want to take it on the go, which different people are going to have different priorities for. I live in a one bedroom apartment and the only space I’d have to Quest is the same space I use with a visually superior Rift S with a larger game library.

Different people are going to have different situations and/or desires. Most people posting in Games have a decent PC gaming rig, and you’re likely going to want that to be running your VR games than a cellphone board. Maybe you really want portability, maybe you don’t have a space where that makes sense.

The next gen of mobile VR headsets is probably going to have a better solution for tethering, we’ll have to wait and see, but assuming a USB3 connection is going to run video, audio, input, and other data back and forth compared to a dedicated display port and USB3.0 connection and have a comparable experience to make you forgo looking at a Rift S, when Carmack and Oculus have both said if you’re PCVR focused to stick to the Rift S, is a bit much.

Just depends what you’re mainly going to be doing with it, really, and most people are going to have some sort of idea what that is before they buy a $400+ dedicated piece of hardware, and should be able to decide for themselves.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

I could not confront my fears and ended up quitting out of Skyrim when the big spider showed up. I like to think I've gotten far better at handling my arachnophobia, but there is a large difference between not freaking the gently caress out when I see a spider on a wall the other side of the room and a spider bigger then a shack leaping at my face.

Here you go: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1190?tab=posts

quote:

Mega Arachnophobia and Insect Phobia Mod. Renames and Replaces Spiders to "Invading Bears" and Chaurus to "Invading Skeevers". Removes Webs and Clutter Items. Renames and Replaces Chaurus/Spider items. Includes texture replacement for partial-compatibility with other mods.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This goes from 0-100 real quick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqt2J9iJOk

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey, if you don’t buy it, you have the satisfaction of not giving royal piece of poo poo Randy Pitchford money.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nalin posted:

I hope you told them that having a fixed IPD and having lovely audio on the Rift S made it a worthless device and that they should be ashamed of themselves that they even bothered to sell it.

I lol’d

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is called empathy. It’s a good thing to have

Oh, I dunno, I think you can have empathy and still enjoy doing brutal murders in VR. Sneaking up on someone and executing them point back with a pistol to the back of the head in Onward was fuckin' nuts, especially knowing that there was a real human being on the other end who had no idea it was even happening.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KakerMix posted:

I am really enjoying this new "VR IS A GIMKICK AND FAD AND I HATE IT" resurgence, totally unironically.

They’re so mad and it kills me every time. It’s always the same poo poo, too. It’s a Virtual Boy, it’s a overpriced Wii controller, as if nothing has changed between when the Rift DK1 first launched and now. It’s just sad at this point.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
konami has announced a new metal gear solid game but it's a VR exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjp8Ldld5YE

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/jeditobiwan/status/1197276730253336576

this new metal gear really takes a turn

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enos Cabell posted:

Man I'm going to have to stop reading about HL:A. I mean, I want to know everything about the game, but there are so many dumb motherfuckers out there spreading complete poo poo about VR. I hate feeling all console warriory, just stfu and let people enjoy things nerds.

Honesty it is getting really frustrating. The condescending tone with the blatant misinformation is the loving worst, and you see so much of it. I get it if it’s not your thing, motion sickness or fatigue or whatever, but like, don’t loving lie to people.

I saved up to get my Rift CV1 and my Rift S. They’re loving incredible pieces of hardware. I’m sad not everybody has one, but like, you don’t gotta flip out because of “evangelists” or whatever else crap you’ve seen this week.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

drat just pulled the trigger on a rift s last night, now I'm reading that hand tracking is only planned for the quest. probably shoulda popped into this thread first.

Keep the Rift S, it’s a great headset. Hand tracking isn’t going to end up being much of anything.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KakerMix posted:

I have my doubts on that. The hero headset of Alyx is obviously going to be the Index.

Alyx is compatible with all SteamVR headsets. Finger tracking won’t add much to the experience.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FuzzySlippers posted:

I think the biggest consideration between Quest and S beyond IPD (which is a big deal) is where your computer is located. Can you consistently have a large open space near your computer? If you have to move poo poo every time you play ponder if you will really do that when you have time to game or you'll just launch a flat screen game. For me and everyone I know with VR, the answer to both of those is no so roomscale ends up being abandoned most of the time. OTOH, if you have room anywhere in your place for VR the Quest will work. Graphics/display/etc is not that important if you never use the thing. I've been doing so much more roomscale since I got the Quest.

I’ve played every VR game by basically just standing in place, and I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment. You really don’t “need” space to walk around for VR games.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress half life, metal gear is in VR now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T56zkR7U2XE

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Espire 1: VR Operative is finally launching today. I'm so loving excited for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWWA59o5hLg

UploadVR's review: https://uploadvr.com/espire-1-vr-operative-review/

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Hey VR Jocks, is the Oculus software required for the rift s to work in steam VR?

Yeah, but you can leave it running in the background. It's relatively unobtrusive.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So why are you guys saying HL:A won't run on the quest? does the link thing not work for steam VR?

The link cable works with SteamVR. If you’re only going to do PCVR, the Rift S is a better option.

I have zero rhythm, but Pistol Whip is an incredible amount of fun and holy gently caress my quads

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 23, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemming posted:

Yeah, it's just difficult to make this distinction clear to people who don't already know a lot about VR. If you want to play Half Life Alyx you need a gaming PC no matter what is what people are trying to make clear I think

I’m proud to announce StadiaVR,

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack Trades posted:

Apparently unlike this bought article, the game itself is getting mediocre steam reviews.

:whitewater:

I played the opening bits, it’s a ton of fun.

It’s just straight up Metal Gear, highlight of the game for me so far was crawling on top of a server rack, walking off the edge, and then just casually dropping my fist into a dude’s head; knocked his rear end out cold. It’s score based so while you can just murder your way through, you’ll get a low mission score.

Ideally you sneak through the whole game without touching anyone it looks like, but that’s boring. Also there is one really good jump scare.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

Espire is great cause outside of my room you hear me say "Freeze!", then a loud banging as I manage to punch a half empty monster can (thankfully closed) off my nightstand, and shout "gently caress!". Which scared everyone else in the household.

My one big knock against the game is that the "FREEZE!" function is super range limited, in that there's no reaction if you try screaming it across the room.

The hand-cameras that you can shoot out with the triggers to peak around corners is fuckin' rad as hell.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jusupov posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8a1BAolFIk

Dev showing off some action you can expect in the game

This may actually end up being the killer app, this looks really loving tight.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I gave a VR-newbie friend of mine the Blade & Sorcery initiation, and his first move was to do the loving index finger "c'mere" motion and now I know I really need to get a loving Index setup down the road. loving hell.

X-posting from the chat thread to share my friend experience:

quote:

Had a friend of mine over tonight, he had never none virtual reality, we spent like 5 hours loving around in all sorts of different games from Pistol Whip (music) to Skyrim VR to IL-2 (WW2 flightsim) to Vox Machinae (Mechwarrior but VR) to Blade & Sorcery (swordfighting) and oh my god it is so much loving fun walking someone through all these different VR games. They spent like an hour alone flying a P-51 Mustang through World War 2 dogfighting, it was awesome just showing them how to do different things and getting them used to my HOTAS (sim joystick+throttle) setup. Virtual reality gaming is loving incredible, even more-so when you get to share it to people who've never had a chance to try it out.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My friend had no problem wearing his glasses with the Rift S on, just for the record.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Italian Guy posted:

I was considering upgrading my CV1 to an S to get rid of the cameras and have a better dsisplay, but my IDP is only 60...I could go with a Quest+Link, would that in theory have better visual quality than a CV1? Are the Rift S and Quest controllers identical?

The Quest+Link has better visuals than a CV1, and has the same controllers as a Rift S.

...Look see I love my Rift S but I can tell people to get a Quest if it fits their needs

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

treat posted:

Half-Life got my attention but this exact video got me to seriously consider getting an Index.

I mean, problem is, think about your day to day real life of your hands. Think about trying to individually manipulate your ring fingers (next to your pinkie). It’s weird, isn’t it?

You never really do it! Outside of like, flipping the bird, you don’t need to individually tap your fingers unless you’re using a keyboard. So honesty I can live without finger tracking and the Knuckles, the grip button does essentially the same job.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Combat Pretzel posted:

I played Arizona Sunshine up until the mineshaft. I don't want to keep playing.

Same. I really don't like things reaching out and trying to touch me in VR. More specifically, my brain does not like getting the input from my eyes that something horrible is jumping out to try and grab the rest of my body.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndrewP posted:

Okay gang, what are some good chill games besides Pokerstars that I can play while watching something in a pinned Virtual Desktop window? Seated preferably.

The IL-2: Battle of X career mode? It has plenty of downtime.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Walrus posted:

alright FINE

I'm buying H3 today. 3 years later you guys finally broke me.

Wonderful!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacetoaster posted:

My dad was wanting to know if they would ever stream sports games. Is that a thing in VR?

Believe it or not: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/go/1282459145111104/?locale=en_US and https://nextvr.com/

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TVs Ian posted:

but I recall this being a thing during the last Olympics.

I need a VR livestream connected to the helmet cams of the Winter Olympics luge

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Italian Guy posted:

Something I gave for granted but I am now unsure about : is it possible to use Steam VR games on Quest through Link? If so, is it as simple as with a Rift headset or is there some kind of setup needed?

Yes, it'll work the same as the Rift: https://venturebeat.com/2019/09/29/facebook-oculus-link-will-work-with-steamvr-games-too/

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndrewP posted:

I was playing H3VR and I realized what I want - a "rear view mirror" for myself in VR. Between the lack of peripheral vision and the difficulty of quickly swinging around because of the weight on my head, it's very easy to get snuck up on. Which I do not find pleasant in VR. A quick-180 button is probably useful but could get disorienting.

?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There won't be a "whole separate library" of Quest exclusive titles. There's like a weird Half Life thing, but that's about it. Everything else is or will be on the Rift S through Oculus' storefront. One's a cellphone and the other is hooked up to a (hopefully) beefy desktop, although I had no problem running VR on a gaming laptop for a couple years.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've also known plenty of people who bought a Quest and after a while have let it sit collecting dust. The Link cable isn't going to bring the Quest to parity with the Rift S, either.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They've said it'll have a full campaign with a story, so tech demo it shall not be.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/jeditobiwan/status/1201225819168923650?s=21

gently caress I love H3VR so much

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

What are some cool VR titles to look forward to? I know that one shooty game everyone's hype is this or next week, and obv there's Alyx, but anything y'all are peeping besides? Any good Indies in the pipeline?

Deadstick is a bushflying simulator that's gonna have VR support, and Project Wingman is an Ace Combatlike that is also gonna have VR support. I'm pretty thrilled for both of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also, upcoming VR games? Half Life: ALYX

the person I was replying to mentioned that already.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Deadstick is DOA. The dev hasnt posted anything in like a year and the forums for it are just threads asking for an update. I have it on my wishlist just in case, but dont hold your breath.

This isn't true. They just aren't spamming updates.

https://twitter.com/DeadstickSim/status/1182303017988710400