Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I've gone over to two friends' houses already, pulled out the Quest, loaded up the fit and focus thing, and handed it over.

"Here. Put this on your face, and figure it out."

They've both drawn out a guardian space and started playing inside of 5 minutes. My wife had the same experience.

Quest is a low barrier to a solid 6DOF experience, and now computer touchers can have their PCVR sex dungeons as well as a casual, take-anywhere HMD that's the best answer to, "But isn't VR janky, fiddly, and overpriced?"

It could give VR the second debut to a mass market that it really needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The ratchet mechanism on the DAS makes me thing of some of the swankier hard hat suspensions I've seen. I'm probably going to experiment with adapting one for my Quest, because that's the kind of redneck engineering I get into.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Tip posted:

What are you gonna do for audio?

If I ever get a Quest I think I'm definitely gonna do the DAS, as it knocks out both of my biggest issues with it, and it looks like you can find it for about $60 pretty easily. Hard to beat that price for a fancy strap and headphones.

I use earbuds even for regular PC gaming because I just don't like wearing OTE headphones. I have a comfortable set already, so I'll just use those or adapt something similar.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Lemming posted:

A ton of what the Quest is doing is Carmack magic that started with working on the GearVR, which became the basis for Go which is the basis for Quest. The Cosmos is still just a dumb peripheral that's completely driven by the PC; if they had phone tethering working, I think you could start making an argument for them, but, like, Oculus is doing poo poo like hand tracking using the existing phone cores that's driving the inside out tracking. It's insane. Everyone else is falling further behind, not catching up.

It doesn't surprise me that Carmack has gotten so into working with mobile chipsets and getting closer to the metal. He's been frustrated with inefficient PC overhead since the Doom 3 days. Facebook looks pretty smart for throwing money at him.

Chin Strap posted:

Am I going to regret going 64GB instead of 128 for the Quest? Most of the bigger things I'd want to install will probably just be over link, I think mainly it will just be a buttload of beat saber I play most when truly mobile.

Never regret not paying $100 for $10 worth of memory.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I realized welding mask headgear would be way better than hard hat suspensions(the pivots could make great headphone mounts too). My widmovr lenses finally show up today, and I've got a set of cheap headgear and Velcro straps coming. This should be a fun weekend.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
So yeah, $7 faceshield headgear + 3ct 1"x12" Velcro straps + judicious Xacto work will get you a functional ratcheting headstrap for an Oculus Quest. 100% reversible.

I'll do links and pics and junk after work tonight just to prove it exists. USPS is still sitting on my lenses, so I haven't gotten to test it in use, but the fit is snug without the spring-loaded sponginess of the stock strap.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

zer0spunk posted:

I would down to learn more about car repair this way, but I'm assuming it's not a very realistic sim?

Car Mechanic Simulator is great for learning the main components of a car, and how they interact.

What it doesn't simulate is shearing head bolts, replacing a rat's nest of dry-rotted vacuum lines, and troubleshooting electrical gremlins until you're ready to set the thing on fire and roll it off the edge of an abandoned quarry.

It's a hands-on exhibit at a science museum level of simulation, because simulating the ravages of 30 Pennsylvania winters on a Caprice Wagon would demand an AO rating.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I kinda get why it can be hard for people, from watching the videos. Rhythm games tend to have patterns that anchor to emphasized beats in a piece of music, but PW is freeform 8ths by BPM. I bet drummers/bass players are good as gently caress at this game, because it's like doing fills with guns.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
One day I'll stop believing the first time I punch the wall is a fluke.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
If you have a kitchen scale handy, the Quest HMD sans strap comes up to around 430g or 14oz. for us Imperial weirdos.

Two standard door hinges with one of the pins taken out hit 470g, which I went with, since the display's weight projects out further from your head. I hollowed out a 4" length of pool noodle, shoved the hinges in there, and velcro strapped it to the headstrap. The change was instantly noticeable. Not only did it help my neck tension, the HMD also stayed put on my face way better.

Yes, I do keep pool noodles around for my dumb little projects. They're useful as Hell.

Zaphod42 posted:

The 'time moves when you do' makes it trickier, but I agree throwing in superhotVR feels pretty awful.

Throwing things in Superhot is not accurate at all. I groan every time I spawn into a room and see shurikens.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 3, 2019

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Stick100 posted:

Could you take a picture? I have some spare pool noddles this sounds like a good idea.

Watch this space for when I get home in a few hours.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Eh, new page. I'll post it here.

Uggo, but a padded package.

Hollowed the noodle out to about 1/4" thickness. I'll probably do another piece a little more carefully, now that I know it gets the job done.

Strapped on with two generic velcro straps. Don't mind my earbud situation.

It's definitely helped with the neck fatigue and having to constantly fiddle with the visor all the time or crank down the straps until I get a pressure headache. I think a 1-2-3 Block would probably be near perfect for this, but that would run me at least $10, and I already had this junk.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Is there anyone out there who hasn't modded their Quest? I sorta get that it wasn't made to be used long term for the most part considering the battery life. But every time I see anything about the Quest, the first thing people mention is getting this, or getting that. I suppose Link maybe exacerbates the problem.

I'm not near typical. My wife has stopped asking me, "Why are you taking that apart? You just bought it.", and just sighs now.

I've been a little obsessed with VR since I was a kid, so there was no holding back once it came into a price range I could justify to myself, but I'm also very prone to motion sickness. I spent about 2 minutes in Subnautica and had to go lie down and chew candied ginger. I'll probably keep slapping together things to try and improve the experience until the market provides a really solid solution...that I can then figure out how to copy on the cheap.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Tom Guycot posted:

In the future, the last thing you want to do is try and "power through" feeling motion sick. All you'll do is make yourself sick as a dog and form connections in your brain between vr and getting sick. When you start to feel motion sick, best thing is just to stop there, take a break, and come back to it later. Thats going to be the best way to build up tolerance. Also Subnautica is noooot exactly a great example of a game with comfort in mind, so you might want to get used to it more on games with more comfort options, hand directed steering, snap turning, vignetting, and such.

It was literally just long enough to go from thinking I was adjusting to swimming in VR to wanting to die. I wasn't trying to power through.

I can play Superhot or I Expect You to Die for an hour or so, but Subnautica and Lambda1 just do not compute with my delicate eye/ear situation. I'm about to buy Pistol Whip, so we'll see how that goes.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The counterweight stays. I usually need a half-hour away from VR before I can use a flatscreen without feeling weird, but tonight, I plugged in my headset, grabbed a drink, and went straight to shitposting. No dull tension headache either. Next up is a VR Cover, because now I really notice it pushing into my brow.

I started playing Pistol Whip in an unheated room in a long-sleeved shirt, pajama pants, and socks. An hour later I was pouring sweat in boxers and socks still trying to No-Hit Black Magic Normal. I only quit because the Quest begged for juice. I love how even reloads and the bullets whizzing by your head work in the song. I know I look like a doofus playing it, but I feel cool as gently caress when I'm on beat, dodging bullets, and hitting on every shot. So have another big endorsement for Pistol Whip, because I want to pick up the Quest when it finishes charging, and go play more, even though my knees are pissed.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Maybe try something like CPUCores that lets you constrain the OS and set CPU priorities easily?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

EbolaIvory posted:

This is so overkill and totally not needed.

If he's trying to nail down a CPU bottleneck, it's something he might get some useful info out of, seeing that he's also a developer.

gently caress, you're abrasive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

EbolaIvory posted:

His issue was steamvrs automatic resolution scale. Its a lot of peoples problem. (KEY POINT HERE)

You recommended an application thats entirely overkill for a simple thing, without a disclaimer, explaining, or anything really. With his/her hardware, theres no reason to really to mess around at that level (More so just playing a drat game). If they were running some potato rear end hardware, and trying to eek out some extra frames, sure. But for most average VR people, this is totally out of the scope of most peoples use case. More so when they may or may not understand what it does.

But hey, some people like to reach right for the shotgun and start blasting instead of understanding whats actually happening first.

With that said. You could have easily just said "Hey seems like you got it sorted but this app might be useful for you as a dev in the future"

Nah, You didn't do that tho. You just recommended it blindly without acknowledging the actual problem was resolved.

But hey, I'm abrasive.

Clitch posted:

Maybe try something like CPUCores that lets you constrain the OS and set CPU priorities easily?

The demanding tone and confidence in my post! I'm such a loving bulldog who will accept nothing short of doing exactly what I say!

Or maybe I tossed out a suggestion that even Grammarly responded to with a shrug emoji, but I guess I got up to pee and didn't hit refresh before I rolled that tennis ball into the thread, so I deserve a facefull of your rabid foam spray.

CPUCores is not yanking out the Windows kernel to install some experimental alien tech I received in a post DMT epiphany. It's not a drastic solution. It's a utility that does a thing I find useful once in awhile that is fairly intuitive and easy to use. If he owns it, he could see what effect, if any, it would have on his performance in all of five minutes, then turn it off and forget it exists until he loads up some old game that doesn't play well with multiple cores. That's how I use it.

I wouldn't make it a week as a girl scout with that meek-assed sales patter, but apparently "hey, maybe do a thing" was so threatening to you that you had to thump your chest and shove your nuts in my face to preserve dominance over a forum thread.

Yes, you're abrasive. You're also a condescending douche. Get hosed.