Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Anybody have any advice on running HL Alyx through a link cable on the Quest 2 decently? I just got a Quest 2 to replace my OG Vive (which Alyx ran very well on), but it’s been a stuttery mess so far. Other SteamVR games seem to be running great, but Alyx has been pretty unplayable even with the resolution and quality settings turned down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

OgNar posted:

Using Virtual Desktop made 99% of my stuttery weirdness go away.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2017050365004772

Using most of the settings he suggests in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsIjmTvOwCE

Thanks for this! I ended up getting Virtual Desktop and a new (dedicated) WiFi6 router, and I'm amazed by how smooth everything runs wirelessly. It kinda blows my mind that my games are running smoother wireless than with the link cable, but I'll take it!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Diephoon posted:

What router did you get?

I got the Asus AX1800

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

My go-to games are still usually Space Pirate Trainer, H3VR, and In Death, though I’ve been playing Davigo a ton lately against my kiddo and it’s been a blast.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Just installed the Outer Wilds VR mod and ho-ly-poo poo what a cool came to experience in VR. Starts a bit rough on the starting planet (framerate kinda suck there flat too, so not surprising), but the jet pack flying, space travel, gravity flipping gimmicks, setpieces… SOOO much cooler and impactful in VR.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I caved and picked up a Quest 3, and I gotta say it DOES feel like a nice step up from the 2. The lenses are awesome, and I really like the implementation of the passthrough.

Does anyone have a referral link for Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes? I’ve been wanting to try the VR version.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

From what I’ve found, you can only share games to 1 other headsets, so you’ll probably need 2 copies of the games you want to play with 3 systems

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I got the Kiwi Quest 3 battery strap, and so far I like it a bunch. It’s way more comfy than the stock strap, and even a bit more comfy than my Kiwi Quest 2 non-battery strap.

Also, I just got a chance to play around with Open Brush in mixed reality with the Quest 3 in passthrough - it’s really fun drawing stuff in your environment. I wish there was a way to “pin” the drawings to the environment though - whenever you take the headset off and put it back on it resets the location of everything you drew. I’d love to draw stuff all around my room and pass the headset to a friend to explore the art. I had my kid stand still while I drew some armor on him too - he had a blast watching onscreen via casting.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Between trying out some of the experience tracks in Synth Riders and finally putting some real time in with Into the Radius (just hit security level 4), I’ve gotten super hooked on VR again. I loved my old Vive back in the day, but the Quest 2/3 is just soooo much easier to pop on and play. I feel like the Quest 3 (with a battery headstrap, better facial interface, and controller grips) really hits the perfect conform zone for me.

I’d really like to go back and finish HL:Alyx on the Q3 (I played about halfway through back when it came out on my Vive), but I’m struggling to get it running in a playable state through Virtual Desktop - anyone have any pointers or settings I can try? FYI my PC is running a 1080.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Speaking of gorilla locomotion, I just picked up Underdogs, and the movement feels amazing to me in that game. Something about the layer of separation being in the mech adds to the movement and the combat makes it feel super immersive and gives a lot of “weight” to everything. I usually struggle with melee in VR because of lack of strong feedback when hitting things, but the added mech layer really helps trick my brain in all the right ways.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I just picked up Ghosts of Tabor, and I love the idea behind it, but I’m having a hard time getting past the clunkiness. It took me a bit to used to Into the Radius’s similar inventory system, but that’s become one of my favorite games - I’m hoping I can eventually get a similar level of comfort with Tabor. Right now just picking things up and putting them in my pockets or pack is a hell of a challenge all by itself…

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

The Quest 3 with a Kiwi battery strap + AMVR facial interface is peak VR comfort for me. I have my head strap dialed in to where I can just pull it down onto my head and be in VR instantly, and I can tilt it up and it’s will stay just like a halo strap if I want it to. The weight balance is awesome, too.
I kept my Quest 2 also for playing with my kid, and it wasn’t until going back to that after a while with the Q2 that I realized how much narrower and bulkier the Q2 was on my face; my sinuses were screwed up within 5 minutes of playing (even with a better head strap). So now that one is the designated kid/guest headset for sure

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Awesome. My buddies have Q2.

I have a Q3 and I've heard it benefits greatly from the Q3 Optimizer tool, but I've been procrastinating with that because it seems like a major hassle to install

The optimizer is really easy to install (watch a youtube tutorial - the written instructions were really poorly written imo when I got it); totally worth the price, too. I’ve noticed a huge jump in quality for some games, like Into the Radius and especially Powerwash Simulator (which is almost unplayable without the optimizer)

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Whelp, I just spent over an hour straight doing laundry, cleaning toilets, and picking up trash - in VR. For fun.
I guess I can mark Arcade Paradise VR down in the same “shouldn’t be entertaining but ends up super addicting” column as PowerWash Simulator VR. The arcade games in it so far are more fun than they have any right to be, too (though they’re really making me with the Quest 3 controllers had D-pads).

Here’s a referral code if anyone else wants to check it out - it’s already feeling like it might be my new obsession… https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/johnnysmitch/5968301983261530/?utm_source=oculus&utm_location=3&utm_parent=frl&utm_medium=app_referral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

explosivo posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't know this was coming out with a VR version. Game's definitely surprisingly hard to put down.

Edit: Hmm, are all the arcade games vr minigames like a shooting range? Part of the charm of the original game was the arcade games and it'd be a bummer if they didn't have those.

Nope it’s got the normal arcade games - they just added some “VR Enhanced” games too.