Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Rift S is still better for flight sims, right now. It's also affordable and capable of roomscale dedicated PCVR, right now. Let's recommend Quest for those use cases when Quest Link is out, and when we're certain of its quality. Or recommend waiting.

And even with Link, S isn't outright bad. It's just worse.

What is better about the S for fight sims?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

King Spray is getting a Quest release here on Thursday

Not sure why, but super stoked for this title. Probably because I grew up in repressive boring suburbia. It's a spraypaint graffiti simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ev4tqFUdrk

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lemming posted:

Don't they not have much choice? I thought they were like circling the drain and VR was their last hope. Like I thought they stopped making phones and stuff. They also didn't have the R&D base to be competitive in the future, which is why after initially suggesting the Cosmos would be a PC/phone hybrid they seem to have quietly dropped that second part, or pushed it far back enough to be irrelevant. My guess would be they just had to release something and they did the best they could.

Inside out tracking is really hard to do well.

I think HTC was on firm footing with building the Cosmos and intended to be the market leader in self contained VR; if they weren't first to market, they would at least have the best tech. I mean if you look at what the Cosmos does, in a vaccum, it's a miracle piece of technology.

That said, the Quest was both first to market, AND have the superior technology. The Cosmos is probably going to be a total market failure, but it is working technology, and by bringing it to market, they probably have a leg to stand on to ask for more funding and be competitive for round two.

I can't imagine that tracking on the Quest 2 will really be revolutionary compared to what's coming out this fall, and the Cosmos 2 will likely match the Quest 2, what it'll really be down to is the GPU, active cooling of the GPU, and battery life, and/or true low latency desktop wireless support

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lemming posted:

A ton of what the Quest is doing is Carmack magic that started with working on the GearVR, which became the basis for Go which is the basis for Quest. The Cosmos is still just a dumb peripheral that's completely driven by the PC; if they had phone tethering working, I think you could start making an argument for them, but, like, Oculus is doing poo poo like hand tracking using the existing phone cores that's driving the inside out tracking. It's insane. Everyone else is falling further behind, not catching up.

The Quest actually came first, that's why the Go has better optics etc. Quest was taking longer than expected so they designed and shipped the Go to fill the gap and bring something to market

Really curious to see what the Quest 2 looks like

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Local multiplayer VR is also just called sports. Hope this helps

New thread title

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like fallout new Vegas (which is just steam punk Skyrim?) is $3 through the end of the week. Is there any worthwhile VR support for FO:NV

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like TotF didn't ship with multiplayer in the steam version, does the Quest version have multiplayer?

Been waiting for this to come out for a couple months, definitely gonna check this out this weekend

I got King Spray, the graffiti simulator, it's great, it's sort of like tiltbrushz but feels better to me, probably because I'm drawing on a 2D surface

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thrill of the Fight is a fantastic game for quest, slightly niche, but also feels a bit like a killer app. I can't imagine the hell of trying to play this game with a cord strapped to you head. This is the first game where I clipped a piece of furniture with my hand/controller

72hz feels really slow once you really get into it with the opponent, gonna keep playing it, great game. I'm curious when the v2 will come out with higher frame rate and improved tracking. Besides Expert+ on beat saber, this is the first time I've run across a situation where more fps would really be a clear advantage

Also to whoever mentioned boxing burns about 10 calories per minute, holy hell, that feels about right, you can really work up a sweat fast

A+, did I mention it's only $9.99? Wow

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Generally when you provide sales data you specify how you got it

They were debunked last quarter, too

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

You guys weren't kidding about Thrill of the Fight...I'm not the gooniest goon and after a match with the Sparring Partner and a 3 rounder with the first opponent I was soaked. Also I can definitely feel it in my body today. I never boxed, but I used to practice HEMA and this feels oddly familiar, down to your head being encased in a sweaty box at the end of the match.

I am doing about one bout a day now and I can definitely feel it in my back and shoulders still

I got it the week it came out and then had to go crawl around on my boat and replace some stuff and just gave up, because TotF just completely wrecked my muscles and I was almost too stiff to drive over there. A week later I can still feel it the next day after my practice bout

I had my very foofy lovey type wife try out TotF, at first she was like, "I don't LIKE vr stuff, ugh" but as soon as the match started, she started throwing punches and halfway through round 3 she got a TKO against the guy on medium, by the end of the first round she was out for blood. I was really impressed how quickly she picked it up and actually really enjoyed it

TL;DR for $9.99 everyone should have Thrill of the Fight to show off to people when they're done with Beat Saber

Also the graphics for TotF are way better than Beat Saber

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

Yeah when is Oculus link releasing anyway

November?

Probably they will announce the beta at 11:59pm the day of Thanksgiving, sell an absolute poo poo ton of them Friday, and then two weeks of buggy link issues before they get it sorted, six more months before it gets out of beta

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pistol Whip is a great game, new genre, well done guys

At one point near the end of the Día de los Muertos level this guy busts out an epic rock electric guitar solo and you're capping dudes in time with it, pretty inspired

Feels pretty polished, there's definitely some rough edges but considering what they've done here you can easily overlook it

This is definitely the game you hand to your 14 year old little brother when they get the hang of beat saber

Game is a cross between James Bond movie into scene simulator (you can even switch to the Walther PPK7) and gangsta rap posing simulator

Definitely not a H3 competitor, but this is a great arcade game to show off at a party

If this were an indie 2D steam game it would be $15, with the VR tax $25 is totally reasonable

I played it on Quest, no performance issues once the level fully loads. I can't imagine playing this game tethered with the cable whipping about everywhere while you're busy dodging shots

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

A bunch of sections in Pistol Whip could certainly be less narrowly packed. Heh.

Also, how can anyone play this with the pants on. Or Beat Saber for that matter. I'm sweating like a pig.

I have a "Vornado 660 Whole Room Air Circulator" which usually lives on the floor, I stick it on my table and then aim it through the middle of my play area, does absolute wonders. I guess you could use another fan but the vornado 660 is a beast of a fan, even on low, and you can actually aim where you want to point the air flow. They're like $90 bucks on Amazon

Pro tip don't cheap out and buy the 440 it's garbage and quite a bit louder even on it's lowest setting

Unintended side effect of the vornado, since the air flow is so tight you can use it to sort of echo locate where you are in your IRL play space based on air flow/direction without having to activate the guardian waving your hands around

$90 bux for a floor fan sounds like a lot of money, but everyone who has one swears by them. I've had mine now for about 3.5 years and it's awesome

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Re: Pistol Whip

Originally I thought it was just an arcade shooter. I played Pistol Whip in "deadeye mode" which disables aim assist, holy hell, I retract my statement. It's actually a James Bond murder simulator. Switching to deadeye mode is both much, much harder, and turns it in to a completely different, but still great game.

SirViver posted:

So, if anyone's using an overhead cable management system (or planning to get one), I can wholeheartedly recommend the ones from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H53QmxZ-rOs

I've recently upgraded, and compared to their predecessors they:
[list]
[*]Use a fabric/nylon ("dyneema") cable, which is quieter than the steel cable. It should also hopefully be more durable; I've recently had one of the steel cables snap during play, probably from a weakened point due to bending by winding/unwinding the cable repeatedly. Steel may have a greater tensile strength, but that is completely overkill for this application.

Random sidenote, dyneema is a loving magic modern material, by volume it's as strong as steel, but it's so light it literally floats in/on water. It also has really good friction properties (extremely low) and is super soft so it's easy on the skin. This stuff has been around for about 30 years but was mostly restricted to seal team 6 stuff and america's cup world-class sailing competitions, but recently the chinese started making it and the price went from about $3.00 usd/ft down to about $0.10/ft; $1.00 usd/ft for the 14,000lb test stuff (1/4" braided rope)

Also it's hollow braided so you can splice it easily and make "soft shackles" which have been hugely popular in both the offroad 4x4 community and also the sailing community, since dyneema doesn't rust and loves water and UV light, and is pretty much chemically inert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY--UwBrem0&t=220s

The reason I'm effort-posting about this, is this is the first time i've seen dyneema used in consumer electronics products. It's great stuff, excited to see it used outside of fringe sports.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, I can't be mad. Dude is rich enough and has enough clout to do whatever he fancies, so he is doing just that. He is living the scientist-nerd dream.
TBH, I feel he was getting bored with doing the same for decades since he was at id. Even when was only working at 3d engines before VR, that's why he started to do novel poo poo for novelty sake (megatextures) even when they had a lot of tradeoffs that didn't make it a good solution.

Carmack also got into mobile phone game development for a while. No, not iphone/android, we're talking T9 flip phone games. Look up "orc & elves" engine which if I'm remembering the Quakecon 06 talk, he wrote most-all of it himself in C... I think it later got ported to some form of gameboy/nintendo handheld... possibly was a segway into VR development, he was talking about how much fun it was working within the contstraints of a low power system, which kind of mirrors what he was saying about the initial oculus devices

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Non-vr post: You might be interested in

https://www.vollebak.com/product/indestructible-puffer-advance-access/

Which I really like but is four-fifths the price of the Index full kit I've been looking at, I'm not a rich enough man to buy both :shobon:

Yeah another name for dyneema-based composite fabrics is cuben-fiber, which... Loops back again to sailing, named after the boat it was first used on, America³, or America Cubed. That stuff is used in ultra high end camping equipment, and also racing sails, but turns a $2000 mainsail into a $5500 sail. It requires a sewing machine or special adhesive to work with so I haven't worked with it directly. Braided dyneema is great to work with as you don't need any special tools to put loops without know or attach it to things or other ropes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Delta-Wye posted:

It takes several hours for an electron to enter your house, pass through the wiring, through your wife's vibrator, and then back out to the distribution lines while you post on the internet.

Quoting so that this makes it to the next page :golfclap:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My prediction is that Quest 1.5 (Quest S? Quest R? Quest XP? Quest Pro?) ships with USB4 (40gbps) rather than USB 3.0 (5gbps) and a 5m fiber optic cable, 25% faster SOC chip ahead of black friday 2020

Should also finally push for broad adoption of reasonably priced fiber optic USB/USB4 cables of signficant length. Cheap fiber optic usb cables ought to allow people to snake a single cable from their laptop on the desk/couch to a hub and end the tyranny of dongles once and for all

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

RandomBlue posted:

Also we don't get 25% year over year CPU/SOC gains and haven't for almost a decade or more, despite what marketing might tell you.

The Quest is using a SOC originally designed in ~2014 and first to market in ~2015 IIRC, using a 2019 market chip might not be 25% better but I think Qualcomm has some VR specific stuff available in some of their SOC snapdragons now so my WAG is that 25% isn't exactly reaching for the stars here

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cicero posted:

The Snapdragon 835 was announced in Nov 2016, and the first phones with it launched in April 2017 according to a quick googling. CPU Benchmarks have the 855 being around 75% faster than the 835 according to this: https://browser.geekbench.com/android-benchmarks

GPU Benchmarks have the 855 being 50-90% faster: https://dev1.notebook-check.com/index.php?id=149363

Well, that's not what the benchmarks are showing. What data are you looking at?

Yeah the next Quest with an updated SOC/GPU is gonna own bones

Vader Immortal + Red Matter already look incredible, a 25% increase in performance will probably allow for @90fps in some games, heightened visual quality @72fps for all others, not to mention more complex game logic, etc

I would imagine USB4 + fiber optic cable + newer SOC should allow the upcoming "Quest S" to finally, fully replace the Rift S and handle fairly complex games

The idea that CPUs are only improving at 2-3% per generation probably comes from the fact that Intel/AMD chips haven't made hardly any per-core improvement since 2012. I agree that mobile ARM SOC are experiencing huge leaps still

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I remember there was a Mac laptop you could upgrade from a G3 to a G4 by mailing it to a company that desoldered the CPU and put the better one into the same socket. I wonder if that'd still work these days for a Snapdragon SOC?

Also, I heard if you root the Quest you can hack it to unlock 90fps? Seems to me like that would be useful for Virtual Desktop or Oculus Link where the Snapdragon isn't being fully utilized. I'd try but I'm in a limbo right now where I can't find instructions on rooting it and don't want to upgrade and lose the option.

It's possible that you could re-chip an OG Quest from 835 to 850, they are same generation/fab technology. There would be weird driver problems, also back in the late 90s/early 2000s computers did not use signed drivers so you could hack your own. Given that the Quest is built on Android it probably needs to be signed drivers to work.

The 855 uses a different 7nm fab process so it's probably incompatible. Of note, the 855's GPU has:

• 120fps support
  • hdr color support
  • 3d VR video hardware support
  • 8k 2d 360° video hardware support
  • wifi 6 support
  • 60ghz wifi support (10gbps)

60ghz wifi support @10gbps in a Quest S would basically give you OG Quest wired link capability, but wireless

I'm not 100% sure, but if I were going to pick the Quest S SOC, 855 would be near the top of my list

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

I just want a VR experience where I'm in a monastery with a large beautiful cathedral, far up in the mountains. Tasks include tending garden, cutting hay, lightning candles, listening to choral chant, feeding animals, reading old manuscripts, brewing beer, meditation/prayer. Maybe I'll befriend a bird. I want that in real life too.

You can just quit your job and do that today too

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So far ultrawings is the only game to churn my stomach enough to pull the headset off my head for relief. I'm generally fully immune to motion sickness having grown up on a small boat.

I got the Quest on launch day and the tracking has really improved by leaps and bounds, particularly in low light situations. Used to be that after an hour or so the tracking would degrade slightly and things would shift and would create some mild unease. I think part of this might also have been getting my "Sea legs" in VR. The 11.0 release is probably 50% better than the 10.0 release for low light conditions.

2 hours playtime is plenty battery life, and the battery charges right back up very quickly on a 60w charger (standard laptop charger). 20 minutes is plenty of time to take a break

Also re: disk space, 64gb is enough, technically, but if you can afford it 128gb is a nice luxury that you will definitely use. I dunno if I would have paid for a 256gb model but I'm definitely glad I bought the 128gb model

If you though pistol Whip kicked your rear end, try Thrill of the Fight

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'm a day 1 owner, while my use has declined, I'm still buying new titles, and the Quest gets used at least 2-3 times a week. It lives next to my end table and gets charged up when my phone isn't charging.

repiv posted:

PSA: Oculus Black Friday deals are going live in the UK, the Oculus store, Amazon and Currys all have the Rift S for £350.

No discounts on the Quest from what I've seen.

I don't have hard numbers, but Facebook/Oculus are almost certainly taking a loss on every unit sold, plus they're selling like hotcakes, it would be unwise to sell them at a discount. It has 2017 halo phone CPU/GPU + hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D to make up for

Typically crap sold for black Friday is either

1) high margin to begin with
2) last year's model/overstock
3) failed product they're trying to unload before officially discontinuing support on January 1
4) failing product where taking an additional loss is a hail Mary at trying to generate interest in the product before the company goes under/division gets canned

You'll note that the Go has been on sale multiple times this year. The Quest 1 probably won't go on sale until 3 months before the Quest S is announced

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Loss leader game consoles assume a healthy market for software. Oculus announced earlier that they were excited that they had sold even $40 million worth of software for the Quest which is... Low for a console

The snapdragon 835 SOC/cpu/gpu costs about $115 each, the hexagon dsp that's the crown jewel of the inside out tracking system, not sure but probably north of $50, probably closer to $75

Just those two chips + the circuit board is rapidly approaching $200

That doesn't include screen, lenses, battery, manufacturing, warehousing shipping marketing, the controllers, charger, cabl, active cooling system, 4gb ram, 64gb+ storage etc etc

You're getting a heck of a deal on the hardware at $399. The price will definitely come down over time, like it did with the Rift, but probably a lot of the manufacturing improvements that got the Rift cost down have already been rolled into the Quest so much of the low hanging fruit is already plucked.

Honestly I'm impressed they're selling it for under $500, three years ago I would not have guessed the Quest could be mfg for under $1000, let alone as general consumer products, not just Enterprise grade

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was going to test out using my quest on the plane

How painful is it to pair the Quest with BT headphones

Also if I want to watch a movie, what services offer offline viewing? I think Netflix did at one point

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Re: re: re: Beat Saber

The song format is effectively open source

Some dude already wrote an entire beatsaber clone in WebVR/A-Frame, it's used as one of their showcase apps. WebVR/A-Frame is sponsored by Mozilla so it's not going anywhere any time soon. Since there's no multiplayer for beatsaber it doesn't matter if you play the official version or some clone, especially now since your dollars don't go in the developers pockets

https://supermedium.com/beatsaver-viewer/?id=22cc

Count down to free beatsaber clone being released on sidequest in 3-2-1...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Stick100 posted:

https://moonrider.xyz already exists. It's open source and runs in WebVR. Unfortunately it, or webVR, or the Quest browser isn't perform ant enough so it drops frames and therefore is no nearly as fun to play.

That's a fair point. I wouldn't be surprised if someone publishes a free port using unreal or unity engine. Beatsaber probably has some custom hardware flags set by carmack himself but as engine performance improves a satisfying clone will emerge

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Points for Quest:

Points against:
- the OLED panel is using a pentile array which gives a more visible "screen door" effect that they've largely tried to brute force with resolution, but it's still there. This bothers a lot of people and is contributing factor to why more VR headsets use LCD panels now. Even CV1 screen door effect never bothered me, but individual sensitivity varies (personally, my perfect headset would be a valve index that uses oled panels instead, since i'd gladly take the improved contrast even at the expense of some higher relative motion blur and increased screen door effect)

Does anyone actually complain about pentile/screen door effect on the Quest? I use mine pretty regularly and I've never thought, "wow they really need to fix the screen door effect on this thing". The last two models to have that problem were there Vive and CV1, I think?

The only complaints I have about the Quest is that it can only do one or two high resolution objects at a time, which is limited by the GPU, not the screen

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

That doesn't mean it will reach anywhere close to 5gbps, the limit is in both the hardware encoding rate (in the gpu) and the hardware decoding rate (in the mobile chip).

Promising numbers for the Quest S in 6-12 months

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Climb is out now, along with that Metal Gear/Solid Snake clone

Is The Climb the first cryengine VR title for Quest? It... runs ok, but it's not buttery-smooth as I'd like. Haven't tried the solid snake clone yet.

Edit: I guess there are two solid snake vr clones coming to quest? I was thinking "Phantom" came out today, but instead they released "Espire 1”?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 4, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Is there anyone out there who hasn't modded their Quest? I sorta get that it wasn't made to be used long term for the most part considering the battery life. But every time I see anything about the Quest, the first thing people mention is getting this, or getting that. I suppose Link maybe exacerbates the problem.

Depends on what you consider a "mod";

I got some "kiwi knuckle straps" https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XYYNXJ3

And a red "silicone cover face mask" https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07X4CVSZL

I used the knuckle straps for a few days but I didn't keep them on as they made my grip uncomfortable. I'm not sure if the face mask counts as a mod but I like how it keeps the face mask pad from getting disgusting so that stays. Also makes the Quest have a red "trim" which makes it easier to spot

I don't play VR for more than 60-90 minutes and don't have a weak neck so the rear battery thing seems super excessive

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not to delve too deeply into warez but how strong are the torrent options for beatsaber songs? That seems like a pretty straightforward approach.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thrill of the Fight is without a doubt the best exercise I've gotten in VR to date. I've not yet tried beat based boxing games yet, but the thing I really like about Thrill of the Fight is that it awakens that deep lizard brain sensation of fighting to the death and just absolutely gets your mind off everything no matter what and you're just totally focused on the immediate task at hand.

Compare to say, beatsaber, where I'm replaying that lovely meeting that happened today, in the back of my mind while playing the game

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is Dead stick the model airplane VR game by the guy who originally did Kerbal space program

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

https://twitter.com/PistolWhipVR/status/1199747355722960897?s=19

Can you say pistol whip FREE SONG

Awww yeah baybeeeeee

Also "oldboy inspired" :allears:

Holy poo poo, growing up a good friend of mine got big into Korean cinema, if I were to guess I'd say the scene he's referring to is this one. Basically this guy gets mind-hosed Titus Andronicus style for 15 years and then has to fight his way out of a building/prison, but first he has to get through a hallway filled with men waiting to kill him, and he's armed only with a hammer and the hatred with the fury of a thousand suns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwIIDzrVVdc

Highly recommend, it's probably on Netflix or something. Classic, memorable scene from that movie.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking at the quest store it's very much geared towards developing and curating AAA level titles. They probably hired someone from EA or whoever owns modern warfare series to run their store.

I own climbey on steam and it's neat but it also looks like absolute non-AAA indie garbage and doesn't promote the Quest as a PC-quality movie-type experience. The Climb has all sorts of slick graphics etc etc you would expect from a "quest title"

I'm sure "indie VR" will happen some day on the quest but not right now. Right now they need to pick up casuals/console gamers. A bunch of PC looking indie pc titles on Quest is going to scare off potential customers they are trying to woo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Micro USB plugs suck rear end

Waiting for micro usb to die finally. I'm honestly really surprised the vive wands use micro usb in the year of our lord 2019, that connector was already on the way out in 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My C drive typically just has windows + whatever critical software designed by mouthbreathers who are bad at their jobs

Everything else lives on the D drive and/or NAS. I have been doing steam games over NAS using gigabit ethernet for what 7 years now? 2012 onward. It is a little slow but not much. Maybe 20% longer to boot games. Steam is able to figure it out and doesn't have to re-download everything if just finds it and then updates whatever files need be. Garbage-poo poo like Battlefield 4/1/5 etc that are 60GB live on a local disk for obvious reasons.

Nothing important is stored on the C drive, only temporary stuff like c:/users/hadlock/Downloads gets saved there. Then if the OS crashes, the disk crashes, virus/ransomware/etc happens, just reformat the drive and point steam at //nas/steamgames/ , all my documents are still in //nas/hadlocks-documents etc. Storing actual important poo poo on your C drive is a really bad idea and has been since internet computer viruses became a thing back in like 1996.

explosivo posted:

Is there any way that the hand tracking on the Quest isn't total poo poo? It seems like a cool add-on but I imagine it'll be using something similar to what Kinect used to track hands which probably won't be great. Which isn't the worst thing in the world considering that it's just a value added thing but I am curious to see how it works.

Stuff like the web browser, netflix, hulu amazon prime, rental movies etc. Probably video chat controls, not to mention gestures in VR chat stuff. There's a lot of passive entertainment stuff where hand tracking is acceptable for menus. Controllers will likely always be preferred for active entertainment stuff.

Eventually facebook messenger/whatsapp will get a VR mode where you can VR chat with people and then the hand tracking will become pretty obvious. Think of the average teenage girl telling a story and how much hand motions play into their stories.

V1 Oculus Quest has 6DOF head tracking + hand tracking

Now imagine VR chat using eye tracking, blink-tracing, 6DOF head tracking + 6DOF hand tracking. Would not surprise me if the V1.5 or V2.0 Quest has eye tracking, even if it's crude 9 position (think numpad) eye tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Double-posting

Is hand tracking turned on with a software flag in OS v11.0.0 (current version, AFAIK) or do you have to wait for the headset to upgrade to OS v11.1.0 or v12.0.0 or what

Has anyone actually gotten to use it yet