Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Looks like Thrill of the Fight is releasing on Quest next Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Nothing will make it more clear how much of an out of shape hunk of poo poo you are than Thrill of the Fight, good lord.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Pistol Whip comes out tomorrow and they still haven't announced the price, so I'm assuming that's because it's going to be overpriced as hell.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

EbolaIvory posted:

Nah. Devs are awesome.

Why is everyone so hung up on price anyways? I'm laughing my rear end off at everyone freaking out about knowing how much its going to cost.

Folks. Its a VR game from an indie dev. Calm down.

Afaik, I'm the only person who's mentioned it, so ????

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The big play-difference between Beat Saber's "beat mechanic" and Pistol Whip's is that the blocks in BS arrive to you in time to the beat, so even people who don't have a sense of rhythm can play and do well, since the window of time they give you to slice the block is so small and always on beat. In PW, having a good internal sense of rhythm is crucial to doing well, since it lets you shoot anybody whenever you want. If you normally can't keep a steady beat in your head/on your knee, you're probably going to be frustrated by the game.

After playing a few songs, I like Pistol Whip well enough but I don't love it. It's often hard for me to see the bullets coming at me, even though they're super slow, due to the art style. The style makes everything kind of blend together into a jaggy neon mess. They provide these red line indicators that I sense are trying to tell me something about enemy bullet trajectories, but I can't make sense of it while playing (their tutorial is trash). Secondly, the level design is verrry samey, and that's once again due to the style. Neon colored corridors mesh together and make every level feel like the same thing over and over. Lastly, yeah, it's super short. Not just because they only give you 10 songs, which they do, but most of them are less than 3 minutes long. For $24.99, that's nuts. I get that that complaint could be lobbed at BS too (and I sure as hell think BS's price is an insult), but you have a lot of level customizability there that I don't see happening with PW.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just want a VR experience where I'm in a monastery with a large beautiful cathedral, far up in the mountains. Tasks include tending garden, cutting hay, lightning candles, listening to choral chant, feeding animals, reading old manuscripts, brewing beer, meditation/prayer. Maybe I'll befriend a bird. I want that in real life too.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I got the 128gb Quest because it's my only way to watch 3D movies and the filesize on those things are huuuge. I like watching 2D poo poo too in the virtual theater, so the space goes quick.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
How much would I be saving by building a vr-ready pc instead of buying pre-built? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I didn't realize "vr-ready" was actually a marketing thing, I just meant something beefy enough to easily run top of the line vr games. I already have windows 10, and already own a Quest, so I plan on utilizing Link for pcvr. I don't game much at all, so I don't know poo poo about graphics cards, and I haven't had a desktop pc in well over a decade, but I do like the possibilities of vr and want to try poo poo like NMS and Elite, and finally be able to play a couple of recent 2D titles like new Doom. I do occasional music recording/mixing and video editing too, so I'd like something that can run realtime plugins and render hires video quickly. That's about it. l reckon I'll check out the pc build thread, and look out for some holiday deals. Appreciate the help.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
If the former owners of Beat Games weren't rich before, they sure as hell are now.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Dude's a vr youtuber or some poo poo, what do y'all expect.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is Bridge Crew worth playing if I don't plan on ever interacting with other human beings in vr?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

M a x posted:

Star Trek Bridge Crew + DLC is on sale and since its cross buy you can buy the oculus version to get it on quest. You can use the code EXTRA20 to get a little more off of it as well.

Great, I just paid full price 4 hours ago

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Quest games are small. Biggest one is prob just over 3gb. If you have no plans to sideload large videos, there no real reason to get the 128. I bought it because I watch 3D movies in skybox and those file sizes are huuuge.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Desdinova posted:

Is there a VR equivalent to VLC for watching something in a personal theatre? Steam's option seems to be only for films downloaded via Steam, which doesn't help the files I already have.

Also, echoing whoever said that Thrill of the Fight is good cardio, man am I sweating after two rounds and wanting a towel.

Skybox

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
who the hell would want to bang on the tech-dork communal fuckbed

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I turned off auto wake in settings in the first week of owning a Quest because of that issue

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That's the cool thing about the Quest, is that with minimal friction it can completely erase the bad taste left by phoneVR and instantly convert someone to the possibilities.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
when we all have ar eye inserts, we'll be able to overlay people's appearance with whatever we want. so your partner can look like anyone/anything you desire. just imagine the implications of this. hellworld is on the way.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
How does Eleven compare to Racket Fury? I know Racket Fury's arcade mode made winning so easy you don't have to try, but simulation mode didn't feel good either and I couldn't do poo poo.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Main Paineframe posted:

It's been sold out virtually nonstop for at least a month.

During one of those brief times when it showed up as for sale, I was able to order one! It just arrived today, and wow, the weight isn't something to joke about. Rather than having a brick hanging off my face, it feels more like supporting a brick with my nose. It makes it hard to keep it adjusted right, too - it tends to slide down just enough to plunge everything into blurriness.

It shouldn't slide down if you have the straps adjusted correctly. That being said, I find the Quest uncomfortable as hell too and don't want to spend another 100+ bucks modding the thing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I've tried a battery counterweight solution like everyone suggests and found it unhelpful, since it redistributes the weight from my face to the top of my head, makes it go numb, and still gives me neck strain. I've had neck and bone issues before, so I'm probably one of those cases where adding weight to that situation is a bad idea. But overall, I'm not comfortable with something tightly pressing against my forehead/cheeks either, so it seems current gen poo poo just ain't for me. Maybe I'll upgrade when vr is about as obtrusive as a pair of sunglasses.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Fwiw, I remember seeing a few reviews of the StarVR One about a year ago and they all said it was the best headset they'd ever seen.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I tried the tutorial for Echo on Quest and I think something was jank with the tracking because the environment was moving in sync with my head movements and I could barely stand it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I need a vr billiards game where it can height-detect my dining room table so I can lean on it like a real pool table. This quarantine's got me fiending for a game like crazy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, if you have persistent neck/upper back issues like me, the Quest is uncomfortable no matter what you do.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
the new hp will have a higher resolution than the index, but it's field of view is significantly smaller (the rift s has a fov of 110, the hp g2 will be 114, the index is 130).

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Installing the Oculus Tray Tool and messing around with the settings really helped me with the quality of Link.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Now that I built a beefy pc and can do pcvr games via link, what are some of the best experiences. Don't care about action/shooting combat poo poo, but more meditative, atmospheric, awe inspiring, moody, or lowkey stuff. I've already tried No Man's Sky vr and love it. A couple of years ago someone built a replica of Deckard's apartment from Blade Runner in unity vr before he got shut down by the production company and it owns. poo poo like that.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Deeturbomber posted:

I've had an issue with my Quest where the display hangs and lags when I wake it/put it on after it's been off for anywhere from a couple hours to a few days. It's consistently doing it, and the only solution/suggestion I saw was to clear the Guardian history, which hasn't worked (it seemed to at first, but it still does it just as often even if I clear it every session now). Has anyone had any experience with this? I basically have to reboot it right before using it for it to work properly.

You have any weird sideloaded apps on it? I know a couple were causing stability issues even when they weren't being used.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Imagine making a game where you chop at blocks to the tune of lovely electro pop and a few years later loving Facebook buys you out. What a world.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Tom Guycot posted:

The DAS is recommended a lot, but I have a friend who purchased one of these recently and swears by it. https://www.magp90.com/Comfort-Strap-for-Oculus-Quest-2020-Latest-Version-p1161984.html

There are some halo strap mods out there before that were cheap FDM 3d printed and broke, but apparently this one is really good and sturdy. Worth a look for anyone that doesn't want to drop DAS prices and trying to find one.

Hmmm I might try this.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What do you mean "set up"? If you mean lighthouses and poo poo, no, there's none of that. If you mean just drawing a guardian, then yeah, you still have to do that. You can turn it off in the settings though, I think.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

doxxing is a bannable offence

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

netcat posted:

I never did manage to get oculus link work with my PC so I have an rtx 2060 ”super” on the way since I need a gpu upgrade anyway. Hopefully that works or I’m gonna be pissed

I've got the 2060 Super and it works well with Link. Just make sure to get the Oculus Tray Tool to optimize your settings.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, I just put my Quest up for sale. Hell, if it were identical in every way to Quest 1 except smaller and lighter, I'd be happy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
In that promo video, is seems they're still using fresnel lenses for Quest 2. Is there a reason these are the standard? I can always see light reflected off of the rings, resulting in light smears/annoying god rays. Are non fresnel lenses worse in some way?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Jesus, glad I sold my Quest 1 when I could.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Didn't Carmack say they can't push the new processor even close to its fullest potential because of thermal issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
You can still download BR9732, I think there's a link on dudes website. He got a cease and desist from the license owners, so he just can't work on it anymore.