Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

NRVNQSR posted:

If the Rift S were cheaper then I could see decent arguments for it over the Quest; better screen, more comfortable, avoids the uncertainty of how Quest tethering will work.

But at the same price as the Quest? Unless you can get a 90 day no questions asked return window I would say that buying an S right now is straight up a bad decision. At least wait a month to see how Link reviews, or for the S's price to drop.

The Rift S is a good bit cheaper considering it comes with a cable, the cable for the Quest is $79.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

NRVNQSR posted:

I was under the impression you could use the cable that comes with the Quest, and the $79 one is only if you want longer reach? For me the Quest's bundled 3m cable covers my whole tiny playspace, but yes, the shorter cable length would be another potential mark against it compared to the S.

I have a pretty small playspace and when I got the Rift CV1 I thought the 4 meter cable would be fine, but it turned out to be pretty inadequate. Just going to the far corner of my playspace and turning around once was enough to run out of cord. I ended up needing to buy an extension to be able to play comfortably.

Even now with Rift S's 5 meter cable I wish it was longer. I don't think many people are going to find 3 meters adequate.

Personally, I'm very happy with my Rift S. I did think about selling it after hearing about the Quest link, but after thinking about it for a while I don't really have a great need for a portable VR system so the tradeoffs aren't worth it for me yet.

However, once they offer a wireless add-on for it, at an agreeable price, I will totally switch. I would love to play my PCVR games without any wires.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lemming posted:

They're doing crazy research on stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCB_mfGmh9w&t=6123s electronic varifocal, but I wouldn't bet on any hardware based on this being released in a consumer package anytime soon. They seem pretty set on the idea of only releasing stuff that has mass market viability.

That electronic varifocal is loving amazing, both in the tiny form factor, and in the fact that it has no moving parts. That should really simplify manufacturing and increase the reliability.

I don't see Oculus releasing anything other than a Quest refresh in the next couple years, but maybe in 3-4 years they'll release something with this tech. It definitely requires getting eye tracking perfect and universally usable.

Looking forward to the hybrid Quest/Rift 2 with varifocal, wide fov, built in wireless PC play, and foveated rendering all in this form factor.

:circlefap:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Clitch posted:

The ratchet mechanism on the DAS makes me thing of some of the swankier hard hat suspensions I've seen. I'm probably going to experiment with adapting one for my Quest, because that's the kind of redneck engineering I get into.

What are you gonna do for audio?

If I ever get a Quest I think I'm definitely gonna do the DAS, as it knocks out both of my biggest issues with it, and it looks like you can find it for about $60 pretty easily. Hard to beat that price for a fancy strap and headphones.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Professor Latency posted:

Probably a long shot, but is there anything like Polybius? The sense of the speed mostly, but art style too. The closest thing I've seen is Thumper, which I love but doesn't scratch the same itch.

How about polybius?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/906120/POLYBIUS/

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zero VGS posted:

Would VR boxing even work in multiplayer? Seems like one of those things where people would prioritize all speed and no muscle so it's like a wiimote waggle turbo slapfight, and a real opponent would not telegraph as much. I guess if you used a collision system like Blade and Sorcery to give feedback on blocking then maybe it could be decent.

If it worked like the single player, waggle would do no good. You really need to throw your punches properly, with a good speed, and you need to hit their weak spots very precisely (position and angle are important).

They would need to rethink the system that allows you to scale your punching power. It makes sense in single player, but in multi they'd really need to figure out a different way to handle that. It could be interesting if they let you choose between matches at "natural strength", where no multiplier is applied and the better puncher has an advantage, and "matched strength", where based on your fight histories the game tries to make it as even of a match as possible.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Mr Phillby posted:

I get it GTA modding dude, a proper VR GTA5 would need to be completely reworked control-wise and that's completely unreasonable to expect. Don't pretend that look to aim isn't garbo tho.

It's already been done, the GTA:Vive mod had full hand controller support. I don't think it's getting updated anymore, and probably no longer works properly, but it looked pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AVfCTpUUi4

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

theBeaz posted:

Is this turning your touch controllers into a poor man’s index controllers? Do share the experience and where you got them... please!

Pretty sure he's using these:
https://www.amazon.com/KIWI-design-...rd_i=B07XYYNXJ3

There's also the Mamut Grips and some random 3d printed designs on Etsy. The ones I linked to on Amazon are the cheapest I've seen though, and most people seem to like them. I've been eyeing them myself.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I was just looking at this article, Oculus Link Beta: Here’s What To Expect From Oculus Quest’s PC VR Headset Makeover, and saw a detail I hadn't read about before.

quote:

During an OC6 panel on Oculus Link, a keynote slide indicated Link would allow you play the “majority of the Rift library” on your Quest. Facebook told us that developers will be able to opt out of Oculus Link support if they choose to do so.

Really curious whether any developers will actually pull this move. The only reason I can think of to do it would be if you sold your game on Quest and PC, didn't support crossbuy, and you really wanted to force them to buy it on Quest. Seems like a tiny amount of possible profit compared to how pissed off people would be.

Just imagine if you had a Rift S, and you sold it to get a Quest with link, and then you discovered a bunch of titles in your Rift library won't work anymore and you have to rebuy them if you want to play them.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zero VGS posted:

Kinda whack that you can't play Steam VR games, I have a few like Stand Out that I don't also have in the Rift store. I wonder if anyone will make a workaround. Maybe a sideloaded build of Virtual Desktop or ALVR could leverage the Oculus Link instead of Wifi?

I'm pretty sure they've said from the beginning that SteamVR will be supported.
https://uploadvr.com/quest-steamvr-games/

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I'm bothered by the lack of any dynamic shadows. Not even blob shadows.

Looking back at the old trailer there is a lot of very obvious dynamic shadows, although, in some places they look rather poo poo and in other places they don't exist.
https://youtu.be/352Hmh0b3Ps

I wonder if it's a performance thing, an error, or a purposeful decision. Since this game does involve multiple levels of reality I guess it could make sense for them to do something like the experience is more degraded if you go into VR within VR.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

EbolaIvory posted:

They are right. If the music you listen to isn't on some weird timing. Folks, Everythings to 1/8th noes.

Again it aint perfect. But its something for now if you're REALLY bored of the OST already.

Being 1/8 notes is only like half the equation, it's more about matching BPMs. Which, actually, that would be a really simple thing they could implement. Let you play any level with a custom song, but you enter the BPM of the song (or have auto analysis to guess the BPM) and then just adjust the timing of events to the BPM.

Also, just to be clear, not saying that it's not fun how you're doing it, you just gave me an idea of a way they could really nail it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's seems real unlikely so don't hold your breath. Beat saber doesn't have an official creation program, right? And it would be much easier than this.

Short of like releasing the game open source so you can make your own levels in unity, its not gonna happen anytime soon. And they're not gonna do that.

Beat Saber does have an official level editor.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

mashed_penguin posted:

Oculus studios game Stormland appears to have good VR mechanics and is out on the 14th. Hopefully it is good.

Review embargo is over tomorrow. It has been my most anticipated title for a while now, god I hope it's really good.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Calipark posted:

Are normal DisplayPort cables used in every other headset fiber optic too? I don't get why the Link cable needs that when every other wired headset uses regular rear end display cables with no latency issues.

It has nothing to do with latency. The engineering on the cable is all about providing a long, thin, wire that can provide power to the Quest. According to Oculus there are no other USB cables that are 3m long and specced to provide enough power to keep the Quest charged.

So if you used other cables you'll probably need to make sure your Quest is charged, and your play time will be limited by the battery life.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Skyarb posted:

When I'm chrome casting on my quest, and I take off the quest it immediately stops casting. This is annoying when having a party with a bunch of people switching off the quest. Can I disable this behavior?

There's a little sensor in the face mask that detects when you're wearing it, just tape a little piece of paper over it during the party and the headset will think you're always wearing it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I just played Stormland for five hours, only stopping because my hands were super sore from using the controllers for so long.

When I came out and saw how much time had passed my mind was blown, I've had VR since the Rift DK1 but I've never spent that long inside.

It is definitely my favorite VR game.

Oh, and something I haven't seen anyone mention, the load times are insane. In a good way. I don't have an SSD but the game loads in under 10 seconds, and then has no loading screens in game (even after dying).

And when I say ten seconds, I mean, I'm literally in the game world running around ten seconds after I click the button in the Oculus launcher.

They did a similarly awesome job on the performance settings. You can pull up the settings in game, and as you change the settings your graphics update in real time.

Also, the temporal AA is really cool. It completely eliminates aliasing, to a degree beyond what I've ever achieved with super sampling. And it does it even at the lowest resolution settings, taking what looks absolutely horrible without AA and making it look fantastic. It does have some weird artifacts (especially with text) so I'm not using it, but it was really neat to play with.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lemming posted:

https://i.imgur.com/EDoM1H1.mp4

Stormland is so good, after you get into the post game you unlock more abilities to slot in and I'm using air dash here, it's amazing

It really can't be said enough, it's so loving good.

I thought Asgard's Wrath was pretty good, largely held up by the novelty of having large amounts of AAAish quality content, but Stormland combines that with an incredible amount of freedom and addictively satisfying gameplay mechanics.

It kills me that Sony bought Insomniac, because I really want more of this, but we're almost definitely going to get nothing but bug fixes.

Hopefully it sells a ridiculous number of copies and other studios scramble to copy all the best bits.

I've said for a long time that a Deus Ex game built from the ground up for VR would be my ultimate game, and after playing Stormland I'm doubly convinced.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

GlyphGryph posted:

Looks like its gonna time to dust off the ol' headset. Maybe I'll pick up Lone Echo for now that I've got VR on the mind, I've heard its really good.

A lot of people really like Lone Echo, but personally I found the single player kinda dull and never finished it. I'd suggest that if you're gonna drop $40 on a VR game right now, it should be on Stormland. It is amazing.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Stormland's endgame has some real issues. After destroying Terminus my game kinda half-reset. So I still had all my equipment and upgrades but the missions were reset halfway. Any multipart missions had everything except the last step already done.

It was still 6 days from the next reset, so I tried setting my clock ahead by a week, and it worked! I got a full reset and I'm in the world that will be unlocked next week. If someone wanted to they could go through and figure out what the changes will be every week.

Personally, I'm underwhelmed by the weekly cycle. The changes to the world map are subtle, and it seems like the other changes are things like giving an enemy a different gun or making certain types of weapons more powerful.

Also, some of the available upgrades are basically game-breaking. The boost while gliding upgrade is really fun, but using it I was able to beat the entire Terminus section without any combat by just flying directly to the objectives. It took about five minutes to beat the entirety of Terminus like that. But even if I did the combat it wouldn't have been much longer, because with a fully upgraded body and weapons you're practically unstoppable, and with the visor you can see where every enemy is.

I still love the game, and will probably end up getting a lot of hours in co-op, but I'm gonna have to start experimenting with ways to make the game more challenging. I think I'm gonna stop using the visor and maybe not upgrade the weapons past level 2.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lemming posted:

I have no idea why he keeps harping on this ludicrous made up point. It's not based in reality and it makes no sense.

Neddy Seagoon does it constantly in this thread. He states some made up nonsense as fact, and then smugly defends it in the face of overwhelming evidence that he is wrong.

I suggest just ignoring him.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Is it normal for the outerish area of your vision to have kind of a smudged oily fingers on glasses quality on the rift s? I double checked my IPD and I still got 63/64.

This sounds like when I have the headset on at the wrong angle. Try adjusting the back of the ring up and down on the back of your head. I have to put it higher than I expected to get the lenses angled just right to my eyes for full clarity.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Quest link might be getting a whole lot better in a few months.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1198350474526760961?s=20

It currently uses 150 Mbps, but 3.1 can do 5 Gbps. It was due to the limitations of the video decoder, but I guess Carmack found a possible solution.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Doom VFR is finally working properly on Oculus without SteamVR beta!

It's a pretty cool game so far, although, the lack of any kind of stick based turning is ridiculous. My cord got very very twisted. Thankfully there is a mod to add stick turning.

I'm conflicted about recommending the game because it was just totally hosed and unusable for so long, and Bethesda has done a terrible job with every VR port. But it IS really cool being attacked by a massive cacodemon in VR.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tom Guycot posted:

Still, if you aren't a hammerhead shark, and you have 0 interest in ever using a portable VR setup, then yeah, absolutely the rift S is the better device of the 2.

Also worth noting that the Oculus approved cable for Quest Link is $80, so Quest for PC is effectively $480 and the Rift S is gonna be on sale for $350 on Black Friday.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Or you can buy the $12 anker cable which works just as well!

A 3 meter cable for wired VR is miserable. The original Rift came with a 4 meter cable and I needed to buy an extension just to be able to fully use my small playspace.

There's a reason the Rift S, Index, and Link cables are all at least 5 meters.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

pootiebigwang posted:

What are the chances that the visual quality will be improved on the Oculus Link? It’s not terrible by any means but there is definitely a bit of clarity that’s lost. Some games I don’t notice it, like Tetris Effect. But some games like Asgard’s Wrath are a little soft even with the game maxed out. I know it’s because it’s essentially a stream, just wondering if they’ll improve that quality down the line or if it’ll be another headset that’ll have to be released.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1198350474526760961?s=20

The current version only uses 150 Mbps, USB 3.1 can do 5 Gbps, so assuming Carmack's hopes are successful, there should be a pretty big improvement coming.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I was also considering BoxVR because it's 50% off right now on Steam, but the reviews are pretty mixed. It seems like the game is half-broken and the dev has no interest in fixing it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm finding Beat Saber near impossible to play because I keep hitting buttons by accident that brings up menus. It isn't too bad on the easy difficulty levels, but I find myself jumping to the hard ones right away, being a 20-year bemani series vet at this point. I can get maybe 10 seconds into a song before I accidentally open like 30 different menus. Is there a way to disable button presses in game?

Try changing your grip to just holding the stick of the controller (the bottom part with the triggers). Basically hold the controller like the hilt of a sword, with your thumb wrapped around it instead of going up to the buttons.

That's how I play Beat Saber and Thrill of the Fight and it has eliminated my accidental button presses.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Death Lap just released, it's cross buy and cross play for $20.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/1954488057986071/?locale=en_US

I haven't seen any full reviews yet, but it looks great, and I've been dying for more cross play titles between Quest and Rift (I'm on Rift, but I have three friends on Quest and it really limits our multiplayer options).

I've also really been wanting a game where you drive with one hand while shooting a gun with the other, and this definitely delivers on that concept.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I got Death Lap and I'm returning it.

I really love the combat racing genre, and VR is perfect for it, but the driving physics suck, the race track design is bad, and the gameplay isn't fun.

If you want VR car combat, go for Blazerush instead. It may not put you in the driver's seat, but it's better in every other way.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ValveNewsNetwor/status/1203913948858322944

Left 4 Dead VR, I want to believe.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Anyone else experiencing a lot of showstopping bugs in Boneworks?

I just hopped in it to check it out really quick, and got stuck in a neverending loading screen when it tried to load the museum. Then, when I got to the area with the barbell and the big colorful blocks I tried to climb one of the blocks and the game dropped back to the empty SteamVR environment, and then kept glitching back to the game frozen in place and half transparent.

I'm enjoying it when it works, but I seemingly can't go more than ten minutes without it breaking.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

homeless snail posted:

All the jumping and jittery rear end climbing physics have made me way sicker than I've gotten in VR in a long time though, so it's a little hosed up the levels are as big as they are and don't have mid level saves

Yeah, the climbing is really bad. I have not figured out a way to climb that doesn't involve my view just randomly wobbling everywhere constantly. They need to fix it, it is vomitastic.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone playing Boneworks with a wand able to tell me if I'm doing something wrong. Up on the touchpad is supposed to be jump but when I hit the dude lifts all of 1 inch off the ground. Crouch jump on bottom gets me like 2 feet off the ground though. Am I just doing something wrong with the jump?

I don't use Vive controllers, but on Oculus jumping requires holding the button until you've crouched a bit and then releasing to jump.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

They announced this three weeks ago, how did they not already have something ready to show?

Someone at Valve loves jerking off to the tears of gamers, and somehow didn't get their fill from announcing the next Half Life game as a VR exclusive.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

It looks pretty cool but it's only 2 hours long and it doesn't have multiplayer yet. Kinda ridiculous to make a Streets of Rage knockoff and launch without coop.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is the same guy who did Alien Isolation VR, which is like the high water mark of 2D to VR conversions, I’m guessing this will be pretty great

Did the Alien Isolation VR mod actually get good? The last time I tried it the view would get tilted constantly and it was very sickening.

The Half-Life 2 VR mod back in the day on the DK1 with Razer Hydras is still my favorite fan-made VR conversion. Really wish the team would just go ahead and release a new version compatible with current headsets instead of spending endless years tweaking everything in the game to make it perfect.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Goodguy3 posted:

Also, is there not a way to adjust your hand's position on a melee weapon without letting go of it first? I see the gif on the store page showing off that as a feature - did that get removed?

If you hold the weapon with two hands and release the grip (but not the trigger) on one of the hands, that hand will go into kind of an ok hand 👌 and you can slide it up and down.

To do it one handed you can lightly toss the weapon up and then grab as the lower part is near your hand (I never got very good at this).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Rookersh posted:

Whats the best way to "find" old VR games. Once I get past the best of/intro stuff and just want to keep playing older games.

Like I'm looking back through some stuff and finding hidden games like Chronos, Lost Echo, Mages Tale, etc etc. Is there a list out there that helps separate out the arena style games with stuff that's actually a fleshed out attempt at a "full" VR game?

A lot of the early full games were Oculus exclusives, because Oculus was just about the only place really pouring money into VR.

Here's a pretty decent list of those exclusives:
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-exclusives/

Another game that I really enjoyed early on was BlazeRush:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/302710/BlazeRush/

That one is just a good game with VR added, but I thought it worked really well.

Honestly, as far as full games go, if you like racing there's a bunch of good full racing games that have VR support. I have really enjoyed Project Cars and Dirt Rally.