Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.
That guy who tweets in ALL CAPS is definitely a Watchmen expert since there definitely is not any part of the book where Laurie’s mom has complex feelings for a man who is very bad for her whom she has known for a really long time and had a very complicated abusive relationship with.

Also one of the themes in the book is definitely not Sally Jupiter trying to turn Laurie into another version of her but Laurie rebels and then oops does it anyway.

Symmetry and repetition- NOT IN MY WATCHMEN BUSTER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

A time machine? I don’t know, but tachyons travel backwards through time and also cockblock Dr Manhattan.

Something falls from space onto a midwestern farm owned by a loving childless couple and your first thought is Adrian Veidt? Uh huh.

We know squids aren’t coming from another dimension because other dimensions are a fake ruse created by Veidt. Yet it’s raining squid. Little clone squid, as it were.

If I had a time machine in the Watchmen universe maybe I want to make sure someone else walks into the intrinsic field chamber. Someone like me.

I think there’s an arrow pointed towards real superheroes with powers entering the equation.

Superman references. Advanced cloning. Advanced physics. A culture primed to accept masked vigilantes.

What’s the external threat that needs to be overcome here?

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Jay-V posted:

OK guys but what if Lube Man is actually Angela's husband and he's just trying to look out for her :3:

i do like the call out that eggs, clones, symmetry, rorschachs etc. are all linked, but I don't think the 7K is clones. just weird that every single episode so far has had a pointed reference to eggs :shrug:

Lube Man
Lube Man
Does whatever a Lube can
Squirts a slick
Any size
Catches Sister Night by surprise

Look out!
There squirts the Lube-y Man

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Down at Gila Flats someone left their tube of K-Y in the intrinsic field chamber. December.... a thoroughly lubricated glowing anus walks down the hallway.

Question: why imprison Veidt and provide him with all these weird Downton Abbey frills instead of just shooting him in the head? What does his jailer need him for?

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Re: speculation about where the plot's going, I'm with "time machine". I've been thinking it since episode 1, and while my initial notion was that that would be Veidt's plan, I think it's actually Trieu's (as suggested a few pages back). She wants to change the outcome of the Vietnam War, and in this universe the way you do that is by undoing Dr. Manhattan. As pointed out a few pages back, tachyons are theoretical particles that could travel backward in time, and they also just so happen to be Manhattan's vulnerability in the original book - what enables Veidt's dimensional attack scheme. It's absolutely logical that Veidt's interest in tachyon research would only grow, and that's also why Trieu is interested in Veidt.

Everybody here wants to change the past, and I think Trieu, Veidt, and Manhattan's own desires all probably synch up whether they see it that way or not: she wants to unmake Dr. Manhattan, Veidt wants to take his place, and Dr. Manhattan just wants to have died a normal man (out of a mixture of both the desire to undo his own impact on the world and a selfish death wish). All three of them can sort of get what they want simultaneously.

Will wants to stop the bombing of Black Wall Street, but in the end he'll take Angela's side over Trieu's and they'll prevent the time machine from being used. Angela will be tempted to use it to prevent Rorschach's journal from being found, which would stop the Seventh Kavalry, undo the weirdo masked vigilante police state, and in turn prevent the ascension of Keene (because he's manipulating all the poo poo in Tulsa), at the cost of burying the truth about Veidt forever. She won't. This is a story about bringing the past into the open, so that we can confront uncomfortable truths and forge a better future - which is why it's about Black Wall Street, Vietnam, and the false dichotomy between conservative, anti-government white supremacists and unaccountable, authoritarian police.

I'll have a large fry with that, also

The original, unfilmed Watchmen movie script from the 90’s ended with Dr Manhattan being undone and the masked heroes entering our world, a world without superheroes.

The Veidt substory is pretty clearly “be careful what you wish for.” (When I first got here I thought it was a paradise).

EDIT: and as per Peteypedia, the Squiddening did not in fact lead to a future of peace, prosperity, and grand achievements of humankind. It led to technophobia, racist Rorschach cults, and masked cops.

Sir, this is a Taco Bell.

Nieuw Amsterdam fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 12, 2019

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Time for Mad Libs:

We all agree that _____________ (Superhero) is being held on __________ (Planet) by ____________ (Superhero) for the crime of ___________ (Verb ending in ing) ___________ (Number) people using a giant __________ (Animal).

Meanwhile, in ___________ (City), ___________ (Superhero) has discovered that the Chief __________ (Job) was killed by ____________ (Superhero), who is also secretly her _____________ (Relative).

We were also introduced to a __________ (Size) secret ___________ (Object used for Sex), which may or may not be related to the ___________ (Small object) being collected by ____________ (Terrorist Group) for the activation of the ____________ (Time Period) Clock.

Consensus is that the ________ (Time Period) Clock is actually a _____________ (Law of Physics) device so that ___________ (Superhero) can reverse the creation of _____________ (Superhero) by manipulating the Intrinsic ___________ (Place You Play a Sport) of _________ (Honorific Title) ___________ (County Name).

A lot of people also think that ____________ (Object Used for Sex) Man is actually an agent of the __________ (Government Agency). That would be completely ___________ (Adjective)!

See you all _________ (Day of Week) night on ___________ (Streaming service) when we will solve ___________ (number) mysteries but also add ________ (number) more!

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

And how are you tonight, Agent Blake?

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Harlock posted:

Veidt: Rorsach the only way for this to work is you cant tell anyone

Also Veidt: *on video* Anyways Mr. President I made a giant fake squid

RORSCHACH: I spent months investigating this and HE JUST TWEETED IT OUT.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

According to Peteypedia an overdose of Nostalgia can trigger, among many other possible side effects, "explosive flatulence"

Trieu Pharma is located at “One Waverider Plaza” in Saigon.

Waverider is a DC Comics hero who travels back in time to stop the rise of a tyrant named Monarch. He is transformed into a superhuman by exposure to the time stream. His power is to see the future of a person by touching them.

Monarch was originally supposed to be Captain Atom, the inspiration for Doc 212.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

MaoistBanker posted:

A small but crucially important point about Rorschach's journal. Cause people on message boards are like "Rorschach mailed the details of Veidt's plan!" . No, Rorschach strongly SUGGESTED that Veidt was behind the death of Comedian, framing of Dr. Manhattan, etc. He didn't learn about a giant squid until after he mailed his journal and departed for Antarctica with Nite Owl II.

The first thing Veidt did when Rorschach and Nite Owl showed up was to confess and give all the details how he did it.

They didn’t even know! Veidt’s ego is so monstrous he had to make sure they knew every detail so as to be impressed with the ruthlessness and brilliance of the Smartest Man In The World.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Which makes the people complaining about how the expository video in this episode is unrealistic or treating the audience like idiots even funnier, being an egomaniac who loves explaining his plans is kind of Veidt's whole thing.

Watchmen is a story about supervillains where the bad guys win.

That’s why Veidt complains he “has no villains to fight”, he is a loving supervillain.

Even do-gooder actor Robert Redford is a morally compromised monster in the world of Watchmen.

Also, psychics are totes real in that universe. What did 3 Million New Yorkers die from, a seafood allergy? There were no mass explosions, the Squid just appears and sends out very bad vibes, which are super fatal.

Every time someone says Dr Manhattan can’t do something, drink a shot. I now put the odds he is hiding in plain sight the whole time at 75%.

The American flag on Earth-HBO has a giant eye on it. Who’s watching?

Agent Petey spends a lot of government time writing about Sally Jupiter’s rape and how it is portrayed in the media. Seems like a very pivotal moment in history.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Well they would have found out pretty quickly anyways.

Veidt's a megalomaniac but I don't believe circa 1985 Ozy would be so cavalier as the video to Redford.

How? All the plotters were murdered by Veidt. He even killed his butlers to cover absolutely everything.

Rorschach could figure Veidt had SOMETHING to do with Blake’s death, but not exactly what. And the connection to the Squiddening is not direct- Blake saw something on an island, he may or may not have understood all the implications, but it looked bad.

Blake is dead and can’t talk. Moloch, his confessor, is dead and can’t talk.

Dreiberg didn’t get it and didn’t really believe it, but he trusted Rorschach.

Veidt learned in 1985 that the best way to conceal 11/2 was to make threats into co-conspirators.

Manhattan basically said “do what you want, this is better than the alternative, I’m not here to judge your morality” and hosed off.

Rorschach is a red mist. His journal is believed only by extremists, and it leaves a lot of poo poo out.

Dreiberg kept his mouth shut until at least 2019 as per Peteypedia.

Laurie only talks as ‘insurance’ as per Peteypedia.

Keene tells Looking Glass that he can talk, but no one will believe this conspiracy theory bullshit since 7K dead-Enders are considered loons.

Imagine you are Barack Obama. In 2009 you are given a videotape recorded in 1999 where Stephen Hawking confesses to planning and doing 9/11 in order to save the world, and addresses you by name years before you even thought of running. You can expose him or you can work with him to get all your policy goals accomplished. Hawking is one of your heroes.

If you expose him you risk human extinction and mass chaos. What do you do? You obviously can’t outsmart this guy, he is so many steps ahead of you it’s absurd.

(In the comic Doomsday Clock, Redford does expose Veidt, which leads to the Nuclear War happening in 1992, and Ozymandias moving to the DC Universe)

Veidt thinks he’s Alexander the Great, but better. How can you stop him? In the video, he did it 7 years ago! You risk everything by exposing him. He believes he has the entire world in check.

If you expose him you are now complicit because you knew and did nothing.

If you don’t expose him you are complicit because you knew and did nothing.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Madurai posted:

Yeah, IIRC Ganymeade is the only Galilean moon that doesn't have lethal rad levels.

Deporting Veidt to the far end of the Solar System still seems like far more work than a couple of bullets in the dome.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Unkempt posted:

Maybe this will work:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.arts.comics/watchmen%7Csort:date/rec.arts.comics/8i-CwZGRg10/I_gwlGuMoYUJ

literally the only post I can find archived from when it was being published.

Usenet archives are poo poo now. Google ruined them for some reason.

There were production delays and issues shipped late- people would have been bitching about that.

I don’t think that many people at the time were aware that Moore and Gibbons reworking of the Charlton Action Heroes that nobody liked would have such a satisfying payoff.

The text supplements exist because DC had trouble selling ad space for their Blue Space Penis book. They had to fill it with something.

Also, on Earth-HBO the Republicans are apparently AOK with a very liberal Democratic administration spending billions a year on defenses against fictional space squids when they are fully aware that said squids are part of the Veidt Power Movement and no such risk exists? Their Mitch McConnell must be hosed up.

Also, Vietnam has 2x the population of California which means it has around 100 Presidential Electors and 1/5 of The House of Representatives is Vietnamese. America’s Quebec.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Chev posted:

It has been established in the comic Veidt has a good track record with bullets, maybe his captor took that to heart :D

Yeah- “this guy can predict anything and is a master manipulator, so it’s impossible to get the drop on him. He even outsmarted Dr Manhattan, who can literally see the future. gently caress it, let’s teleport him to Jupiter”

EDIT: oh gently caress me he’s in orbit around (Sally) Jupiter

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s probably one of the things he had to work with Redford with, now that I think of it. The pamphlet in peteypedia says the squid falls are worldwide so there has to be quite a bit of infrastructure involved.

There’s a big vat somewhere in Antarctica where they run the squid cloning operation. Mini squid are them teleported into the upper atmosphere above the target city.

Very minimal staff or it’s all automated.

We know that both mass cloning and teleporters are available tech.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

We never once see Rorschach take a poo poo in the comics.

Toilet in prison was clogged.

EDIT: Beaten like a knot top

Nieuw Amsterdam fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 19, 2019

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

This is true. People did bitch about it in contemporary discussions, and comics creators have pointed to these delays for the past 30+ years as a hand-waving "well you're mad my book is late, would you have yelled at Moore and Gibbons?"

When people dug up evidence that plenty of people did yell at them, the argument shifts to, "well aren't you glad they didn't listen to you and let it take as long as it had to take to put together such a great book?"

Which is valid, though the delays on Watchmen amounted to a twelve issue monthly series taking about thirteen months to come out. A couple of issues slipped on the production schedule by a couple of weeks, and there was an extra month gap between issues nine and ten (there was no issue in March 1987) so it's kind of rich to use this as a defense for books that are delayed for months or years.
This isn't very true, Alan Moore had done a bunch of well-received UK comics and his Swamp Thing (which launched a few years before Watchmen did) won basically every industry award possible three years running as Best Series/Best Writer/etc.

In terms of comics press, Amazing Heroes dedicated their cover to Watchmen before the first issue debuted, calling it the most anticipated book of the year and described the preview they received as "a milieu containing an unprecedented depth of background for American comics." Both the interviews appearing advance of the book from Moore and Gibbons and the critics/interviewers' comments were setting expectations sky-high for the book.
I had to look this up and I see that Len Wein made a comment that was interpreted this way:

Not a lot of this makes sense unless it was very early discussions, every issue of Watchmen is a 32 page comic book with zero ads and somewhere between 26 (#1) and 32 (#12) pages of comic story, with the remaining 0-6 pages filled with the clippings/book excerpts/etc.

Both Moore in 1986 and Wein in 2009 discuss the idea of having a letter column and later scrapping said idea, but by the time it was in production Watchmen was already a deluxe-printing direct sales only comic that was retailing for $1.50 an issue, and they'd done ad-free 'prestige' comics for sales in comics shops pretty consistently for a couple of years, be it reprints of Swamp Thing/New Gods/Green Lantern & Green Arrow, or original series like Howard Chaykin's The Shadow or Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

I can believe that they thought they'd run a couple pages of letter columns/interviews with Moore/Gibbons or sketchbooks or whatever in the back instead of "in-universe" stuff, but if they're producing 26-28 pages of comics for a book with 32 pages (the average comic book would have 19-22 story pages at the time) they were never planning on running ads once the comic went into production. In interviews given mid-production of the comic, Moore and Gibbons describe putting together the back matter because they thought it would be cooler than self-congratulatory interviews or boring developmental sketches or whatever would be there otherwise.

This is a top-notch post. What were sales on Watchmen? Not X-Men level I assume, but where on the continuum was it?

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

Thanks for the reminder, I haven't thought about that in decades.

Nooooo!!!!!

That’s a Veidt Compact Hyperloop Terminal, it quickly shuttles the puppy to a farm upstate where they can frolic with their barnyard pals.

SUBTITLES: (Flame sounds)

Oh no.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Gosh, you know who else was a racist business owner in Queens in the 1930’s named Fred? His son is kind of famous.

Peteypedia this week:

- I guess it’s a time machine.

- I guess they are going to mind control everybody.

- is there anyone the Comedian DIDNT get pregnant?

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Martman posted:

Oh geez, weren't there even trucks that said "F. T. and Sons" or something that were likely his? That would be amazing.
[/

[quote="Martman" post="500298090"]
Oh geez, weren't there even trucks that said "F. T. and Sons" or something that were likely his? That would be amazing.

This is not a show with a lot of random poo poo in it.

Everything is deliberate.

Fred Trump built and owned one of the first supermarkets in Queens.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Bushido Brown posted:

So do we think that Trieu mind controlled Veidt into going into exile?

Interesting.

You’ve got a time machine, cloning technology, and a mind control ray.

The world’s smartest man has been exiled to Jupiter.

God is bored and won’t intervene.

How do you use these tools to liberate Vietnam and end racism?

Starting America over again with a very different philosophy and no slavery would help.

7th Cav/Cyclops has a teleporter and the world’s most valuable secret.

That 9th episode is going to be hosed up.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

My only problem with the episode is, again, there was no Lube Man

He was Captain Metropolis’ sidekick. Golden Age Lube Man was not discussed in polite company.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Herostratus posted:

Will / HJ is the last surviving minuteman, right?

Also, if the opening scene is supposed to represent real events, there's some interesting parallels with Will / HJ killing the FBI agents in the 40s VS his granddaughter being targeted by the FBI in the present day. Also the implication that the FBI may have murdered Will's lover.

Silhouette- murdered in the 1940’s
Mothman- dead in Doomsday Clock sometime between 1985 and 1992, HBO status unknown.
Comedian- murdered in 1980’s
Dollar Bill- murdered in 1940’s
Nite Owl- murdered in 1980’s
Hooded Justice- continue to kiss his black gay rear end in 2019.
Silk Spectre- died in the early 90’s as per Peteypedia
Captain Metropolis- died in 1970’s (and check that date in Peteypedia)

I’d say that was accurate, we did see some paparazzi using Mothman gear in Episode 1, but if a 110 year old Byron Lewis shows, at this point who would really be surprised?

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Re, Nelson Gardiner’s will:

Some of the “intellectual property rights” include ‘characters’ like Captain Axis and the Screaming Skull.

How do the Minutemen own rights over the bad guys? Unless Captain Metropolis creates them in the first place.

False flags all the way down.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

massive spider posted:

In the original Ozymandias held the toy rights to Moloch.

I imagine that after they've retired he knocks on their door and asks if they want to cash in.

I forgot about that!

Maybe on Earth-W copyright law works differently and heroes are entitled to villain IP.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What fell from space onto the farm formerly owned by the Clarks?

Polar bear?

Kal-El, the last son of Krypton.

“Adrian Veidt will escape and save the day” sure is a hot take.

This is WATCHMEN, not Marvel’s Avengers movies. Veidt is a villain. He is a sociopath. He kills those fully sentient clones to make LETTERS. Laurie had the right idea shooting his rear end.

No one should be reassured by the appearance of Adrian “I did it!” Veidt, history’s greatest monster.

No happy ending, get the gently caress outta here.

What do you all think guys, is Adrian gonna show up in Episode 9, and punch racism in the face?

We might get Manhattan ex Machina, but Jon only answers to Jon. His response to the deaths of millions in a grand evil conspiracy is “what the gently caress does this have to do with me?”

Could have turned people to glass, bullets to steam, yada yada.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

tin can made man posted:

On reflection, Angela HAS spent the entire series either obviously lying or deflecting the truth; originally this seemed to just be related to police work and her general reticence over a traumatic past, then her being on the fringes of Wills great conspiracy, but I think on a rewatch she'll definitely track as a person who's keeping the world's most important secret and is instantly hostile to ANY attempt to know more about her or especially her family life.

Also, while thinking about that I realized that Angela's literal first appearance is her cracking an egg

If you don’t want your kids to be afraid, why be a cop at all?

If you don’t want to keep secrets, why marry Dr Manhattan?

I think the Millenium Clock is a giant memory eraser, everyone can let go of their past trauma and start fresh.

The Dr Redneck plan is going to real monkeys paw territory- being god lets you do anything, but you no longer want to do anything.

Doc could just vaporize the whole 7th Cavalry right now! He just isn’t engaged enough with the world to do it. He just follows his destiny, a puppet who can see the strings.

The Squiddening didn’t get Adrian what he expected, Keene’s plan won’t either.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

Trieu knows the 7th Kavalry's plans, knows that it will be done within an hour, has the resources to stop them, but chooses not to. I guess it was all a long-shot plan to get Dr. Manhattan out of hiding.

And I don't see how the Kavalry would know about Cal unless they were tipped off by Trieu or Will.

I amend my previous remarks:

Maybe the Millennium Clock destroys Manhattan FIRST, before Keene can capture him. No Jon, no problem.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I love that FOREVER I thought Angela was a “knows as much as the audience” character and has been hiding this poo poo since ep 1. loving love it.

A few eps ago Grampa Justice said that in 3 days she’ll find out she’s been betrayed or something to that nature. VERY curious what that is

Manhattan outed is a pretty big betrayal.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

I mean the question is, can he appear in physical form to times before he was alive as a human or before he was Manhattaned?

I would assume so, and a lot of the show is going to be this

so if you have a hard time being imaginative your going to be surprised or assert prematurely what Dr M can or cannot do. So, the premise of them killing him is like almost non-sense, but we really don't know yet.

And so, when we look back after the season we're going to have a lot of moments that seemed odd but make complete sense.

Which makes me revisit Topher, does he have a loving Manhattan ring in his head? Seems too far fetched but that loving castle toy is like screaming something

We don’t know for sure if Jon can be killed, but there is evidence for “no”:

- Intrinsic field removal not effective.

Didn’t kill Osterman in 1959, definitely didn’t kill Manhattan in 1985 at Karnak.

- Veidt didn’t figure it out.

Smartest man in the world vaporized Bubastis and just pissed Doc off. How does 7th Cal determine this? Are they more advanced than Veidt or Trieu?

- Conventional weapons not effective.

As evidenced by Vietnam War.

- Manhattan can teleport interplanetary distances instantaneously, create or destroy matter, and can see all events simultaneously, so he can’t be surprised.

Gonna be real hard to get the drop on him or imprison him.

Evidence for “yes”:

- has a human mind and human desires (sex), so attacks that are psychological can work.

Veidt tricked him into leaving Earth.

- technology is more advanced in 2019 than 1985

Tachyons have been proven to muddle his awareness.

- There could be a “soul field” or something similar we don’t know about that is holding Manhattan’s consciousness together. (How does he think without a human brain?)

Someone who is a mind and memory expert could figure out how to disrupt/destroy it.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

Dr. Manhattan is way less omniscient than he's given credit. While he's able to bring awesome new technology to the world of the 80's, he also has to do the experiments to figure it out. He doesn't just 'know' it all already. He gets muddled when dealing with human relationships. He gets fooled into believing that he caused the cancer of his friends and colleagues. He gets tricked by Veidt, several times actually, and in the end gets tricked into siding with him.

He doesn’t really have free will, he does things but always knows how they will turn out.

He can’t use his foreknowledge to change outcomes- since everything is simultaneous to him.

He’s a train on a track, but with an overhead view.

Trying to become like this to enact your white power plan is strange- I can’t imagine anything Manhattan cares about less than distinctions of ‘race’ or power.

A black man and a white man have the same number of particles.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Nephthys posted:

If anyone is interested DC is doing a cross-over where Dr Manhatten travels to the DC universe and he gets into a fight with like half the Justice League and kicks their asses. At one point they manage to "kill" him through focus fire and he just reforms his body and whoops them again.

The only thing I could think of would be some sort of perpetual Intrinsic field removal device. Maybe the cage they're building traps his particles in and they constantly blast him apart.

We will finally answer the question of who is a better writer- Geoff Johns or a crack team of prestige television’s best.

But, yeah, that’s what I was thinking of. Guy Gardner sucker punches Jon and breaks his neck and is all “that was easy haw haw haw”

Then Jon resurrects, vaporizes the green lantern ring, snaps his fingers and takes out all the DC magicians and basically fucks up all the DC heroes with no effort. The gist of the story is that Manhattan is basically omnipotent, to the extent of changing key events of DC comics history. NON-CANON, I guess.

The “constant intrinsic remover” idea is clever but can’t he just re-form somewhere else? That’s what he does at the end of the book.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

Beware the Cyclops

Dr Manhattans symbol looks like an eye in the middle of his head, too.

Putting this in a sealed envelope now: Angela Abar will be the next Dr Manhattan.

7K has a make-a-Manhattan machine.

Trieu has the resources to just wreck 7K if she wants. She knows about Cyclops.

Some of the 7K machines had Trieu markings

Stop Dr Klanhattan, replace with a more friendly face

Instead of a white supremacist god, god is now a black woman.

Angela mad at her grandfather for turning her into this monster. (She’s not going to forgive me)

HJ finally has the tool he needs to destroy Cyclops. He needs Angela to understand fully the history.

Trieu has the tool to liberate Vietnam

Jon is fine with the woman he loves replacing him

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

There already was a Dr. Manhattan used for white supremacy; Jon Osterman. Racist white president Richard Nixon used him to conquer Vietnam. It took years for him to become disillusioned, so white power Manhattan could probably be relied on to at least eliminate/enslave all non-whites before pissing off to Pluto or whatever.

I have a weird feeling it's going to be Looking Glass saying that for some reason
VVVVVV

Yes. Also, symmetry is an ongoing theme in Watchmen.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Hilario Baldness posted:

Just :lol: that Doomsday Clock will probably end in Superman beating Dr. Manhattan

What’s revealed in Doomsday Clock is that the DC Universe is really a “metaverse” with Superman as the linchpin.

Every time you try to reboot or restructure the universe, it reforms itself around the most important thing in existence, which is Superman. His is the story of all stories, the supreme reason for the existence of superheroes.

Dr Manhattan has been tinkering with DC history and watching the universe “heal” itself, and the changes to Superman.

When he first arrives at DC, Superman first appears in June 1938. He makes some changes and now Superman arrives in the late 50’s. More changes and we get today’s version of Superman.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

Veidt is a old crazy man whose been trapped in a nightmare scenario for like 4 years at this point and has absolutely lost his marbles. Hes not the same Veidt you read in the comics and its absolutely sensible hes become this weird old nut in the time between. Its not hard to believe hed rather fart in the face of this bizarre situation hes found himself than repent for his crimes given hes basically been living in a twisted cartoon reality for years.

Its incredible and about as megalomaniacal crazy old man as it gets.

What’s he going to do, give an impassioned speech defending his actions to a fake court in a fake castle filled with fake people who can’t harm him in any way? They still wink at him and call him “Master”.

How can the great OZYMANDIAS be judged by these cretins? Note he is in costume, not civilian clothes.

They had him sit through that for a YEAR. You can summarize the whole ‘crime’ in three minutes.

Veidt is punished by getting what he wants. He is the undisputed master of the world, the smartest man in existence, everything in his world exists to serve his ego.

He can do whatever he wants to his fellow inhabitants without consequence, they are there to be harvested for parts if he wishes. He can kill, rape, turn them into leather, eat them, whatever.

No rules, no morality except what he, the supreme man, says.

He’s not crying because he finally feels guilty. He had nightmares in 1985, made himself feel every death, recorded the confession tape for Redford, yada yada.

He’s crying because he has at long last been beaten, and the only man there is himself.

As my friend said to me as we left the Watchmen movie: “that was like, hey you say you like superheroes? Here, smoke the whole pack”

Adrian was made to smoke the whole carton.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

Like every other word out of Veidt's mouth in the comics is about how great he is and how much he loves to suck his own dick. Maybe Rorschach was wrong about him being gay and the "boys" folder on his computer was just a bunch of tasteful nudes of himself.

It’s the Bubastis Override Yoke System, obviously.

If wearing a purple cape with your gold costume and living in an Antarctic Fortress named after the Temple of the Pharaohs and flexing your cloned genetically altered Lynx pet and imagining yourself to be the next Alexander the Great because you are definitely the smartest human there is and you can predict the future decades in advance and in your mind your only peer is a Living Quantum God, who you are utterly convinced you can destroy, aren’t part of a delusional narcicisstic disorder I don’t know what to think anymore.

Maybe he’s just really camp.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Agent Blake would be a hell of a lot of fun to get drunk with until the 5th or 6th drink where she gets ugly and verbally abusive toward you.

So, Batman.

Take it easy, Bernie, not all billionaires are the same:

- Tasteful Black and Charcoal costume.

- Pet is regular dog (that wears a mask and solves crimes)

- ‘Batcave’ is merely descriptive term for naturally occurring sub-basement lair, does not hasten global warming.

- Name does not refer to poem about grandiosity and the futility of glory.

- Has many non-powered friends and peers like His Butler and the Police Commissioner.

- Not all of rogues gallery is poor and mentally ill, sometimes beats up rich man dressed as Penguin.

- Only boy around is his youthful ward. Gives back to the community.

- Never teleported an engineered psychic squid into Gotham City, killing millions

Agent Blake is 70, gonna need an assist from Lube Man, light the Lubesignal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

You know how Dr Manhattan has the power to create duplicates of himself?

Maybe Cal isn’t the only one.