Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I wondered if "Anniversary" meant the anniversary of the attack, but checking the novel the attack happened early november and the show starts in september.

Also while I love the Reznor and Ross score I felt like the editor was a bit too in love with it and mixed it super high, and the loud clock ticking felt a bit on the nose too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Interesting and unexpected turn from the supplemental reading material

Silk Spectre changed her last name to Blake and her super hero name to the Comedianne

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Also another weird one, in Watchmen universe Elvis is alive and was found in Vietnam karaoke bar.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Before Watchmen is extremely forgetable but the Ozymandias one is redeemed by its art.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pshht 5 minutes to midnight. The doomsday clock IRL is at 2 minutes to midnight now.

e; I've read some spectacularly bad takes on this on reddit, which I know is a bad idea but there's one I keep thinking about because its so bad it crosses over into interesting to me: There are a couple of commenters saying things like "its not Watchmen its just cops vs the KKK" completely ignoring the fact that in this story both are acting as self proclaimed superheroes.

The cop as superhero thing is of note because in the logic of the universe it makes total sense. The crimebusters were destroying gangs despite being just a bunch of regular determined guys in tights, and the worlds most succesful government operative had a mask and a gaudy outfit, so if we accept that theres provably something about putting on spandex that makes someone extremely effective at rightous violence then the rational thing to do is adapt that into law enforcement.

But as soon as you do the mystique is taken away somewhat, to the point where certain viewers start perceiving it as a cop story rather than a superhero story. Though Sister Night has a secret identity, hideout, Batmobile and hangs out with a bunch of other dudes in gaudy outfits, the only difference between her and batman is 1) that her badge is officially state sanctioned rather than some shady dealing with the commissioner and 2) Black woman.

I initially wondered if the Keene act had been repealed in this universe but of course it hasn't, cause these superheroes are not vigilantes by definition.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 22, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Klungar posted:

Since I didn’t see anyone else say it, I will: I think “Veidt” is actually Dr. Manhattan and his servants are life forms he said he was going to go off and create. The transition from the stars in the sky to the Scottish moors is actually to show that this is taking place on some other planet Dr. M hosed off to to play God. The Dr. M playing in the sand on Mars is just a copy to make humanity think he’s otherwise occupied. The anniversary referenced is not of Squid Day, but the intrinsic field accident.

I just checked the comic and the dates line up (assuming the scene takes place simultaneously as the rest of the episode). The episode happens in september 2019 according to the cops date log. The squid attack happened midnight nov 1st 1985. Manhattens accident happened september 1959 making september 2019 his 60th anniversary.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Veidt is a utilitarian and one of the primary problems with utilitarianism is the limits of your ability to see the future to know what ends your actions will have. In the context of the novel we see that he’s right, for at least a little while, but he still killed millions because he took a guess that it might work.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I’m leaning towards the idea that he’s dr manhattan because it would make the line “I wanted to surprise you” laughably naive.

Also the weird thing about Manhattan is that he fucks. He’s supposedly a Demi god above human concerns but he has girlfriends and dumps one when she gets too old for him so he clearly has human emotions and interests even if he’s somewhat detached from them. So hanging out riding horses and getting massages wouldn’t be totally out of character.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 23, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Which I really don't get at all.

She loving HATED him, even if she understood it was her mother's choice to reconcile with him and have actual consensual sex and a baby. He didn't have a shred of anything she respected, from his violent ways to his near-rape of her mother. Maybe it'll be elaborated on later, but it really seems odd.

I just reread the novel and one of her last lines is about how shes thinking of changing the costume and name and carrying a gun. In the comic it reads like it could be a sarcastic joke though.

Also wow the Sam Hamm version of Ozymandias is dogshitttt. In addition to the plan being terrible his dialog doesn't even read like him and he smokes.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 24, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

In the Watchmen comic there are an absolute shittone of little visual gags where whats in one panel directly references a later panel so I've been looking out for them. The kids playing with the 'ghost' immediately sutup the KKK robe reveal.

feedmyleg posted:

My only significant concern so far is with Veidt's characterization. I figure there will be more to it, but he seems like a cartoon version of the character from the book—a little too goofy, a little too doddering, a little too overtly psychotic. Doing little plays just for himself seems a little too much to me. Am I alone in that?

Also, burning the clone in the chamber felt a whole lot like The Prestige to me and that is good.

Veidt killed millions remember, I doubt he's spent the last 30 years as a totally mentally healthy human being.

Le Saboteur posted:

This did prove that they really should have done at least a two episode premiere of this show as the second episode re-contextualizes the first in quite a large way. Would have avoided some of the bad impressions of the first episode.

The people with reviewbombing the episode are idiots operating in extremely bad faith though.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 28, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

An interesting passage from the supplemental materials, The case for reparations in the tulsa massacre

" And so this evil exists on anactive and unbroken continuum of history, its degrading effects felt at all points at once. By rehearing this case, we create for ourselves an opportunity to begin asking if adjudicating matters such as these asks us to reconsider linear constructs of time (an obsolete notion
that informs almost all of our laws) and adopt a quantum perpsective on justice. Beholding
the destruction of Greenwood with such gaze, we glimpse a different truth. This is not a
crime that ended in June of 1921, for as long as the victims of that horrific event and their
direct decendents still suffer from the immense loss of property and life, the crime is still
ongoing and must therefore be subject to the most strictest adherance of the law"

insert quote of Dr Manhattan talking about how he sees all events simultaneously.

The supplemental piece about American Hero Story is also fun if you consider it from a meta point of view

"if Season 2 is anything like the inaugural season, we can expect a sensationalistic hyper-pop narrative that plays recklessly with history, proceeds from an overtly left-wing point of view, and risks alienating the fringe constituencies who regard “costumed adventurers” with problematic reverence. While there’s reason to believe the new set of episodes won’t be as provocative to vigilante profiles as Season 1, we should be wary of its cultural influence all the same. "

The memo mentions a rock band doing a rerelase of of a Roscharch ispired album which contains an essay by the New Frontiersman intern who found the journal. The release date is Nov 4 which I assume means it will be in the next batch of documents on the real Nov 4.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 28, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A thought on Hooded Justice:

According to Alan Moores authors notes his costume was originally going to be for a Minuteman called "Brother Night", https://i.redd.it/rlxjpz5i3du31.png

This combined with him being Sister Nights grandfather lends credence to the idea that he's Will, but as various people have pointed out, in the comic justice has white around his eyes.

But in this episode we had a notable shot of Sister Night painting her eye area black. What if he painted them white?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Hooded Justice supposedly was pro third reich according to Hollis Mason, but he was also supposedly a communist strongman.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

This little segment was really well done, but I wonder what accounts for the inconsistencies in this version of events?

John and Janey share a beer immediately before the accident, they met over a beer but those events were months apart.

John goes back to get Janey's watch, originally it was his (father's?) watch.

Dr. Manhattan doesn't spawn with the hydrogen symbol on his head, he puts it there after a PR team tells him he needs a symbol.

Janey doesn't stay for the accident, Wally Weaver did, she left because she couldn't watch.

Janey's dialogue is overwrought but Veidt is writing this so that's understandable.

I wonder what's responsible for this corruption of events. Is Dr. Manhattan's memory getting faulty?

It was Janeys watch, a fat man steps on it when they're on a date and John offers to fix it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Scooter_McCabe posted:

I have a feeling Laurie is actually worse than Ozymandias at this point, she just hasn't a chance to truly prove it.

Totally different psychologies, I would say shes become a nihlist like her dad, but even her dad still balked at Ozy's plot.

I enjoyed how the phone booth scenes were framed with a big blue thing blocking the side as if shes talking to an indifferent dr manhattan. Initially I thought that this was some special government transmitter or something before I got that these are probably in every city for losers to use.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 4, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

I think it's much more like the Senator and is underlings are more playing a long game to use the legal vigilantes to drum up support for his career. Getting from a new senator to president takes some years, so you engineer a crisis that you solves, and becomes a victim and a hero all in one shot. Tulsa is a proof of concept. Now if you are a white power true believer is besides the point, you use them for your own gains. Much like certain politicians have been doing now.

Yeah if there is a conspiracy you don't let the goons in on it, you use them as useful idiots.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Midgetskydiver posted:

It's this, at least for me. The show hasn't given any screen time to portraying reparations as a Good Thing, which they are. The only consequences for reparations in this world are extremely negative (they inspire extreme racist violence and terrorism, and contribute to a huge cultural / ethnic divide that's tearing the nation apart).

Same with a largely disarmed police force. The only consequence shown has been to enable said terrorists to gleefully and off handedly murder cops while the naive limp wristed liberal (Panda) sits in the rear and enables said murder. No discussion about how citizens not being shot in their own homes by police might be a net gain for society.

Maybe I'm wrong and these discussions will be had in the remaining episodes but it isn't looking good right now. Lindelof's interviews are not a good sign either, with his now multiple references to "both sides".

And spare me the notion that politics shouldn't be a prevalent topic of discussion in this show. Of all the possible positions to have this thread that one is probably the only one that's truly wrong.

At teh same time I would think a viewer should be able to recognise the benefit of financially empowering black people as a good thing in its own without needing to be directly shown Good Consequences.

I mean the good consequences of reparations would be stuff like stability thats hard to convey since its an absence of strife in the lives of black people, showing Angelas nice home and white adopted kid is as close as you can get.

The bad faith, racist argument against reparations would be stuff like "it makes black people lazy" of which we've seen no evidence, or that the original crime justifying it wasn't that bad of which the show has presented contrary evidence. The argument that it would make white people resentful however is kinda true.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I doubt it was manhattan sending the car because he's not got much of a sense of humour as laurie pointed out. He's cryptic but he's not that kind of cryptic.

The joke was that she was praying to 'god' for a sign and 'god' metaphorically answered, although not literally the same entity.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Szmitten posted:

My theory is Veidt started getting dementia and threatened to reveal he faked the squid and Manhattan made an ecosystem for him on Mars, and all of these Veidt sequences are set before the series and are gonna culminate with Veidt begging Manhattan to "Do it!" before destroying his habitat as we see in episode 1.

Also, in a comic where a rape victim falls in love with her rapist, I think someone not fully getting over their god-ex is the less weird.

I think that if that was the case manhattan would either 1) struggle to give a poo poo or 2) just paste veidt like he did roscharch.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

I don't know why people keep saying that Dr. Manhattan stopped caring about humanity. From the last exchange with Ozzy:

O: But you'd regained interest in human life...
M: Yes, I have. I think perhaps I'll create some.

Surely thats the joke in the exchange though? He's started being interested in human life...but not in the way that humans do.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Not to mention it's not even that good of a line on its own, as it would be in a reprinted journal of questionable authenticity. It's the imagery of the Comedian meeting his end, with the curtains being when he splatters on the ground.

There is no explanation that makes sense at all. She's telling a joke so the writers thought "ooh let's make a callback."

Your argument actually swayed me the other way, it makes sense that Laurie would have 1) Read the journal 2) Been like "oh yeah its legit, thats definitely how he talks" 3) paid attention to the line that draws an analogy of her fathers life and death as a cruel joke.

So its not a 100% implausible line (still not good though).

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

Ozymandias was right. The world was moments away from nuclear Armageddon when his plan went through.

At the same time the real world survived the cuban missile crisis.

DaveKap posted:

I forget. Why can Manhattan get "tricked" if he can also see "all times at once." Like, he sees his fate and just lets it happen?

I'm not even talking about when he gets his particles redistributed toward the end of the comic, I'm talking about the cancer scare and even forgetting to give Laurie oxygen on Mars.

He knows whats going to happen but he still has to experience it.

Theres a bit where he goes "in ten minutes you're going to tell me that you've been sleeping with Dreiberg" and then acts surprised when she does, and Lauries like wtf thats ridiculous.

It seems that he intellectually experiences the past and future but emotionally still goes through the motions as they happen to him. I would suppose it would be like watching a movie you've seen before, it still affects you to a degree, but you know it wasn't going to happen any other way.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 7, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXpqiv4BoQg

This came up in my recommended and its worth a watch for the test footage at 7.00 starring Jorah Mormonts terrible american accent.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

A time machine? I don’t know, but tachyons travel backwards through time and also cockblock Dr Manhattan.

Something falls from space onto a midwestern farm owned by a loving childless couple and your first thought is Adrian Veidt? Uh huh.

We know squids aren’t coming from another dimension because other dimensions are a fake ruse created by Veidt. Yet it’s raining squid. Little clone squid, as it were.

If I had a time machine in the Watchmen universe maybe I want to make sure someone else walks into the intrinsic field chamber. Someone like me.

I think there’s an arrow pointed towards real superheroes with powers entering the equation.

Superman references. Advanced cloning. Advanced physics. A culture primed to accept masked vigilantes.

What’s the external threat that needs to be overcome here?

Regarding superman references note wills last name.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kodo posted:

Not sure if it has already been mentioned but enjoyed how the intro was a slight allusion to Superman (The Clarks and their farm, mysterious object from the sky, the show's references to popular superheroes like Batman). Does the fade imply this event happened many years ago before the city was built? Might imply the Clarks' kid could as a grown up be a vigilante, possibly lube man?

I didnt catch that the couple were named the clarks

The interesting part is how this means that Truie has effectively privatised "Superman"s origin, by buying the farm right before he crashes on it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Midgetskydiver posted:

So not knowing much about the comics, is it conclusive that there is no such thing as any weird psychic energy that happens during the squid rains?

The squid in the comic was a genetically engineered psychic bomb intended to traumatise anyone it didnt kill. Psychic energy is absolutely a thing because thats what caused half Manhattan to drop dead.

As to whether the squid rain in the show has similar effects its not mentioned.

I doubt looking glass has any pxsychic abilities as a lie detector beyond intuition, rather its part of his psychology. Real schizophrenics have obsessions with the idea that the barrier between their heads and others is thin, they feel like others can look into their head, or that people can plant things in there. Hence the tinfoil stereotype as a means to reinforce the barrier. In my experience the persons with schizophrena I've known tend to be in the habit of scrutinising others extremely carefully for loyalty.

Looking Glass has had a traumatic invasion of his psyche and so he's operating somewhat similar to a schizophrenic, albeit one where the threat is actually somewhat plausible.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 18, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I forget, was it implied in the comic that the survivors of the blast were sensitives? It would make sense to leave as many psychic folks alive to pass on the story as possible. So I feel like there's a good chance he is a human lie detector of a sort, hence the weird torture chamber pod. If can read people's emotions then it'd make sense why he was the one in there.

Veidt says the event will give sensitives worldwide nightmares for years but says nothing about their ability to survive.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

From his POV he's watching a bunch of idiots play hackie sack with an armed nuclear weapon. He's going in there right that instant.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I think veidts SAVE ME D has to be SAVE ME DR (Manhattan). Because unless starship technology is 1000x better in Watchman timeline than on earth who the gently caress else could mount a mission to Europa to save one guy?

That still leaves the question of how he got there in the first place though.

When he says that the place is a prison, is it literally built as a prison intended for him or did he perhaps stumble upon it and find himself marooned there? "When I first came to this place I thought it was a paradise but now I know its a prison". Since Veidts not a complete moron if someone was explicitly imprisioning him it would have taken less than a year to figure that out.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 18, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I just realised Looking Glass cannot be a psychic because the entire point of his mask is to block psychic influence. his purported ability to see lies came about because he's just that paranoid from the time someone lied to him and the world ended.

ymgve posted:

But why would Dr. Manhattan save him if it was Manhattan that put him there in the first place? Also that satellite orbiting means that someone else is watching too.

My current thoughts are that the place on europa is a discarded Dr Manhattan science experiment that Adrian teleported himself to for whatever reason.

There may be clones of varying intelligence- dumb version 1.0 ones programmed to imprint on the first person they see and smarter 2.0 ones like the warden, the smart ones hate him but will tolerate him so long as he doesn't try to escape and reveal their existence.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 18, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A couple thoughts about looking glass’ mask.

He survived (or at least attributes it to) the psychic blast because he was surrounded by mirrors.

In the first episode when he’s introduced he lifts the face part of his mask up to talk to Judd and Judd tells him to “put his face back on”, I noted this as odd because, if he was of a similar character to Roschrach then he wouldn’t need reminding of the importance of his “face”. But for him he doesn’t care about the face covering aspect so much as the skull protection.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I love the line "Nothing is hopeless, not while theres life" coming from a guy who's more known for going on about dog corpses.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I wouldn't say Rorshach was passionless, he cared a shitload about his sense of justice and morality. It's just that sense of justice and morality was so alien and warped. You don't tie someone up in a burning house without caring.

He certainly had passions but he definitely displays blunted affect at times.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Klungar posted:

I recognized “I Don’t Want to Set the World on Fire” from Fallout of course, but the fact that all the period songs were from a group called The Ink Spots is quite appropriate for this universe.

I was wondering why the Ink Spots soundtrack and it wasnt until the talky breakdown (every Ink Spots song has the exact same into riff and talky bit) that I remembered like Will, they were black but often people assume they're white.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

Has he made any public comment about the show? Or is this still the general bitching about him not wanting to be associated with any adaptation?

There was a bunch of tweets from mores daughter about her dad recently where she said that his hatred of anything superhero is based on bad memories of how he's been treated in the industry more than the merits of the work, they are aware that yes, theres a tonne of great material out there he doesn't get exposed to.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Hooded Justice is uncovering a plot to brainwash people using cinema, but his own origin is the he got the idea to wear a mask and beat people up from a movie.

Also

Watchmen posted:

Silk Spectre I: Boy! Real photo sessions! Do you think my hair will come looking out okay, HJ?

Hooded Justice: Frankly, Sally, I don't go in for all this razzle dazzle. I'd rather be on the streets, doing my job.

Comedian: Streets, nothing! Why don't Uncle Sammy get us into Europe, where the action is?

Hooded Justice: Well, firstly, we aren't at war. Secondly, we should avoid political situations.

The peteypedia info dump has captain metropolis' last will and he mentions that he frequently got in disputes with HJ about 'razzle dazzle" and "political situations" and HJ would imitate and mock him.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 25, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The best part of this is that Alan Moore considers Birth of a Nation as the first "superhero movie".

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Alan Moore is into psuedospiritual stuff but I get the sense for its for the myth more than literal dyed in the woll belief. He worships a snake god, on the basis of - why not.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Minor question, the AV Club review said that after he brought in the arsonist he was demoted for not booking the arrest? Did I miss a demotion scene? I wonder if it was cut from the preview copy the reviewer saw.

I assumed they meant figuratively demoted since its his collar but the other cop takes it like he was bringing him coffee.

DC Murderverse posted:

i bet in this alternate reality there's a strong and well-enforced public domain

I suspect Will is filthy rich though because he hangs out with Triue.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 26, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Re, Nelson Gardiner’s will:

Some of the “intellectual property rights” include ‘characters’ like Captain Axis and the Screaming Skull.

How do the Minutemen own rights over the bad guys? Unless Captain Metropolis creates them in the first place.

False flags all the way down.

In the original Ozymandias held the toy rights to Moloch.

I imagine that after they've retired he knocks on their door and asks if they want to cash in.

Also this is a find i wish I could claim credit for but I saw it on reddit, the Oklahoma! song played at the end of Ep 1 "Pore Jud is Daid" is a song where a character tries to persuade Jud to hang himself.

quote:

Then the preacher'd get up and he'd say:
"Folks, we are gathered here to moan and groan over our brother Jud Fry, who hung hisself up by a rope in his smokehouse."
Then there'd be weepin' and wailin' from some of those women. Then he'd say:
"Jud was the most misunderstood man in this here territory. People used to think he was a mean ugly feller and they called him a dirty skunk and an ornery pig stealer

(sung)
But the folks 'at really knowed him

(spoken)
Knowed that beneath them two dirty shirts he always wore

(sung)
There beat a heart as big as all outdoors"

[JUD]
As big as all outdoors

[CURLY]
Jud Fry loved his feller man

[JUD]
He loved his feller man

[CURLY, spoken with the impassioned infections of an evangelist]

He loved the birds of the air and the beasts of the field. He loved the mice and the vermin in the barns, and he treated the rats like equals, which was right. And he loved little children. He loved everybody and everything in the whole world! Only he never let on, so nobody ever knowed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

That panel makes Veidt leaving a video message grate on me a bit more even though I’ve been trying to get past it.