Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Thranguy posted:

Only because Dr. Manhattan left Earth, which was caused by Ozy's cancer scam, part of the plan. If he hadn't murdered most of Dr. Manhattan's associates there would be no crisis; the military would have either smoothed things over with Laurie or found a replacement. There may have been a long term danger, but the immediate crisis was entirely Veidt's fault and he thus can get no credit for averting it.

Veidt's plan involved making Manhattan gently caress off to Mars, yes, but that proves that he was right! His first time tricking Manhattan wasn't in Antarctica.. he fooled him with the cancer scare on live TV. That proves he's fallable and able to be tricked, misinformed, or otherwise manipulated. Him being the nuclear safeguard is absolutely insane. And that's before putting into account that Manhattan is increasingly losing touch with humanity.

Veidt getting Manhattan off the planet was a good plan. Lorrie bringing him back was not intended, but Veidt had a backup plan with his intrinsic field generator in Antarctica. And when that failed he had an even better backup plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I forget. Why can Manhattan get "tricked" if he can also see "all times at once." Like, he sees his fate and just lets it happen?

I'm not even talking about when he gets his particles redistributed toward the end of the comic, I'm talking about the cancer scare and even forgetting to give Laurie oxygen on Mars.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

DaveKap posted:

I forget. Why can Manhattan get "tricked" if he can also see "all times at once." Like, he sees his fate and just lets it happen?

I'm not even talking about when he gets his particles redistributed toward the end of the comic, I'm talking about the cancer scare and even forgetting to give Laurie oxygen on Mars.

He can see all times of his own life, but he can't see what he's not looking at.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

DC Murderverse posted:

edit: apparently Angela was born in Vietnam?

This led me to initially think that the racist term I heard was "Redford Asians" rather than Redfordations

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lady Galaga posted:

This led me to initially think that the racist term I heard was "Redford Asians" rather than Redfordations

Hahaha that's awesome

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DC Murderverse posted:

i'm really glad that the entire episode was Laurie telling Dr. Manhattan a brick joke and then the episode ended with its own brick joke by throwing the SUV from the end of the last episode at Laurie

edit: apparently Angela was born in Vietnam?

people gently caress during wars.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mike the TV posted:

He can see all times of his own life, but he can't see what he's not looking at.

He also isn't omnipotent and experiences all of his life at once. There isn't really any past or future to him. So he can't change what has happened or will happen because it's always currently happening to him.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

lurker2006 posted:

I think Moore was aware of this plothole, one of the supplementary articles included at the beginning of the issues was focused partly on hand waving it. If I remember correctly it argued that the Russians would never willingly acquiesce to a foreign agent after the betrayal and dehumanization they received at the hands of the nazis, and a mass launch of thousands of ICBMs would be beyond even Manhattan's capability to prevent.

If the work itself provides an explanation for why then it isn't a plot hole, it's just plot.

DaveKap posted:

Tachyon generators in Ozy's basement, so basically :techno:. They were also why Manhattan was convinced that a nuclear holocaust was inevitably on the horizon, because a nuclear exchange of that magnitude is one of the few.things that could generate enough quantum interference to block his ability to see.

Man, even without the giant squid Watchmen had way more comic book superhero bullshit than it's devotees like to pretend it did.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

Martman posted:

The blue dots in the sky were Laurie taking out the blue dildo on Earth. It's just that prominent.

That's a stretch.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
For the people talking earlier about the show being incomprehensible to viewers who don't know the original story, at this point that's possible, but I know the first two episodes played well. My mom was a fan of Lost and The Leftovers so I recommended the show to her and she really enjoyed it while being a little confused about a couple things.

When I was visiting this weekend I watched the film with her, knowing that Laurie was going to make her appearance in this episode. She's still very much into it, and she really like Laurie. But presumably a lot of that is Jean Smart.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 7, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skitz posted:

That's a stretch.

That's what she said.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

For the people talking earlier about the show being incomprehensible to viewers who don't know the original story, at this point that's possible, but I know the first two episodes played well. My mom was a fan of Lost and The Leftovers so I recommended the show to her and she really enjoyed it while being a little confused about a couple things.

When I was visiting this weekend I watched the film with her, knowing that Laurie was going to make her appearance in this episode. She's still very much into it, and she really like Laurie. But presumably a lot of that is Jean Smart.

What did your mom say when you explained the giant squid to her?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

Ozymandias was right. The world was moments away from nuclear Armageddon when his plan went through.

At the same time the real world survived the cuban missile crisis.

DaveKap posted:

He knows whats going to happen but he still has to experience it.

Theres a bit where he goes "in ten minutes you're going to tell me that you've been sleeping with Dreiberg" and then acts surprised when she does, and Lauries like wtf thats ridiculous.

It seems that he intellectually experiences the past and future but emotionally still goes through the motions as they happen to him. I would suppose it would be like watching a movie you've seen before, it still affects you to a degree, but you know it wasn't going to happen any other way.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 7, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm a moron and somehow by the time it got to Giant Blue Dildo I had forgotten that the name of the episode was 'She Was Killed by Space Junk' and now I'm laughing about it.

:haw:

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Veidt is in the Medium Place because his actions were both terrible and had a positive effect.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Agent355 posted:

I'm a moron and somehow by the time it got to Giant Blue Dildo I had forgotten that the name of the episode was 'She Was Killed by Space Junk' and now I'm laughing about it.

:haw:

"Destroyed" probably would have been too on the nose as a title.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I was totally expecting the second joke to end with "Then Manhattan snapped his fingers and God went to hell" and was disappointed for a few minutes, but the final punchline we got was better.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

massive spider posted:

At the same time the real world survived the cuban missile crisis.

He knows whats going to happen but he still has to experience it.

Theres a bit where he goes "in ten minutes you're going to tell me that you've been sleeping with Dreiberg" and then acts surprised when she does, and Lauries like wtf thats ridiculous.

It seems that he intellectually experiences the past and future but emotionally still goes through the motions as they happen to him. I would suppose it would be like watching a movie you've seen before, it still affects you to a degree, but you know it wasn't going to happen any other way.

I didn't get that he's going through the motions, he says that he's experiencing all time at once. So even as he says "you're going to tell me you're sleeping with Dreiberg?" the moment that she actually tells him, it *is* a surprise to him because he's experiencing that at the same instant that he told her that she was going to tell him.

Which doesn't really hold up to any level of scrutiny but it's a cool comic book logic idea.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

After Laurie attached the blue balls to the doctor manhattan massive dongtron, she should have then pumped the dildo like a shotgun

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bread Set Jettison posted:

After Laurie attached the blue balls to the doctor manhattan massive dongtron, she should have then pumped the dildo like a shotgun

I was expecting it to light up like a giant neon sign.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I honestly didn't recognize that it was a dildo until reading the thread the day after I watched it. It looked like a bong to me. I thought she looked like she needed some stress relief and was about to toke up. Maybe that's just me projecting :classiclol:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Family Values posted:

I honestly didn't recognize that it was a dildo until reading the thread the day after I watched it. It looked like a bong to me. I thought she looked like she needed some stress relief and was about to toke up. Maybe that's just me projecting :classiclol:

Very good post username combo

Caros
May 14, 2008

Killer robot posted:

It is only a little death.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Killer robot posted:

And wouldn't be a Devo quote.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Rocksicles posted:

people gently caress during wars.
she was born in ~79, which is after the war would have ended in that universe, right? probably born to colonists over there

regina king stop stealing blasian valor

Comrade Fakename posted:

What did your mom say when you explained the giant squid to her?
my gf saw the movie for the first time recently, and man this was a tough one to talk someone through when contrasting the comic book and the movie.

and about 20 minutes in, she said “oh, is the comedian supposed to be her dad?” and i felt like a big dummy for not seeing it coming when i first read the comic way back

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 7, 2019

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Space Junk is also a song about a woman dying by getting crushed by a piece of debris falling out of orbit. (A woman named "Sally", e.g., Sally Jupiter but I wouldn't read into it too much)

The lyrics to mongoloid that started playing also generally fit with the them of the show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TenementFunster posted:

she was born in ~79, which is after the war would have ended in that universe, right? probably born to colonists over there

regina king stop stealing blasian valor

my gf saw the movie for the first time recently, and man this was a tough one to talk someone through when contrasting the comic book and the movie.

and about 20 minutes in, she said “oh, is the comedian supposed to be her dad?” and i felt like a big dummy for not seeing it coming when i first read the comic way back

1976, 5 years after the war and 9 years before it became a state, so it would be occupied at the very least.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Was flipping through the comic today and boy, if you've never just sat down and admired the mirrored composition and theming in Fearful Symmetry, do yourself a favor and fix it. It's just an amazing piece of craft from both Moore and Gibbons; my favorite tiny bit might be Rorschach cracking one of Moloch's eggs being opposite of the reveal of Moloch, shot in the skull

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tin can made man posted:

Was flipping through the comic today and boy, if you've never just sat down and admired the mirrored composition and theming in Fearful Symmetry, do yourself a favor and fix it. It's just an amazing piece of craft from both Moore and Gibbons; my favorite tiny bit might be Rorschach cracking one of Moloch's eggs being opposite of the reveal of Moloch, shot in the skull

Jon talking to Laurie AND Rorschach simultaneously over 2 pages (where he’s on the exact panel/pose) is mine.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Argon-40 posted:

I like that the Russian dude's costume is just a tracksuit.

Fantastic post buried in people bitching about Lost.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I only just realized why its called Watchmen.

Ugh that was so obvious.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

twistedmentat posted:

I only just realized why its called Watchmen.

Ugh that was so obvious.

Duh Manhattan’s Dad was a watch maker.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

beanieson posted:

Duh Manhattan’s Dad was a watch maker.

And Ostermann resembled himself like a Watch.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The biggest improvement the movie makes over the comic is having Big Figure's fat henchmen get his arms buzzsawed off instead of having his throat sliced for no reason.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

tin can made man posted:

I just read that chapter last night, it's amazing.

For anyone who doesn't have it handy,

https://medium.com/@pedrovribeiro/fearful-symmetry-almost-frame-by-frame-9a20c77651bd

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
That Target link worked, and my vinyl showed up today.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXpqiv4BoQg

This came up in my recommended and its worth a watch for the test footage at 7.00 starring Jorah Mormonts terrible american accent.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm not sure whether the part where Angela shoves the suicide bomber into the chief's grave and blows up the casket is supposed to be funny or not. I'm laughing, though.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Why bother with "supposed to" - if throwing a dead cops body on a grenade made you laugh then that's all that needs to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I don't understand the point of a deadman's switch if it takes 10 seconds to detonate, but apparently that is the right amount of time to roll a dead KKKop onto an IED lol