Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
The Leftovers is the rare show that continually gets better with each season, peaking with just a perfect finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Considering the ending of the movie was altered, is this supposed to be a sequel to the movie, or to the books?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Arist posted:

I have seen the first episode, and it is definitively a sequel to the book.

Thanks

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I hated The Leftovers, but I loved the Watchman movie...

wow

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Yeah, how much of The Leftovers did you watch before deciding you hated it? Cause the first season (which I still loved) is easily the worst.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

This little segment was really well done, but I wonder what accounts for the inconsistencies in this version of events?

John and Janey share a beer immediately before the accident, they met over a beer but those events were months apart.

John goes back to get Janey's watch, originally it was his (father's?) watch.

Dr. Manhattan doesn't spawn with the hydrogen symbol on his head, he puts it there after a PR team tells him he needs a symbol.

Janey doesn't stay for the accident, Wally Weaver did, she left because she couldn't watch.

Janey's dialogue is overwrought but Veidt is writing this so that's understandable.

I wonder what's responsible for this corruption of events. Is Dr. Manhattan's memory getting faulty?

Probably cause Veidt didn’t have his copy of the graphic novel handy and had to go by memory

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

What monster doesn’t want a tomato tree :psyduck:

Do they put up the peteypedia reading materials just after the broadcast or what?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

whoa thanks for attributing that quote to me

How the gently caress does that happen

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

that certainly was a giant blue dildo

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

I like when Laurie shot the bomber. That's her character, taking action... and not always thinking through the consequences. But that's what makers her fun

I was relieved when she shot him because it meant we didn't have some long drawn out hostage situation either.

Don’t forget that she and Petey were just made to hand over their firearms in order to enter the cemetery. So she’s got a backup and just gave them the first one lol

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

clown shoes posted:

Judd Crawford was hanged, Dr. Manhattan was hung.

Thread title please

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

ya but when it was good I bet it was real good

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Yea it’s clearly a smant colony

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I only just realized why its called Watchmen.

Ugh that was so obvious.

Duh Manhattan’s Dad was a watch maker.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Black Frasier is just The Cosby Show.

What’s black Cheers then?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

From PeteyPedia :kiddo:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Mulloy posted:

Am I insane for thinking Veidt's actually in the statue and that Trieu is using magic science to keep him in a brain prison? And stuff disappearing via the catapult is like the edge of where the brain matrix renders?

Yeah, I’ve been thinking this too. Everyone seems so sure that he’s on mars or whatever, but with all the weird poo poo going on around Veidt, and the wacky turn of the century super science tech, my first thought was he’s just being kept in a coma or something.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Yeah it’s his dark room/batcave

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

dick wizard posted:

"by fortuitous chance, Dr. Manhattan gave his clones the ability to blast thick sticky ropes down the back of my throat, without which, I most certainly would have perished from hunger."

That’s one hellova username post combo

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

lol I’m rewatching and I completely forgot about ya boy just casually dropping on his adopted kids that no, there is no heaven, this life is all that exists, & when you die you cease to exist.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

Holy poo poo Petey pedia is Lube Man

lol god damnit

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Civilized Fishbot posted:

if you mean the Wertham Spectrum, fun fact: it's named after Fredric Wertham. Wertham was a progressive psychiatrist, one of very few wiling to treat poor black patients in his time. His research was even cited in Brown v. Board of Education, the American Supreme Court case that produced a ban on educational segregation.

Unfortunately he's better known for writing Seduction of the Innocent, an extremely popular book about how comic books promoted violence, sex, and drugs among our youth. He called Superman un-American and fascistic, and Batman and Robin homosexuals. His criticism of Batman and Robin led to the creation of Batwoman and Batgirl to serve as heterosexual woman counterparts for Batman and Robin to romance.

I guess in the Watchmen reality, Wertham turned his mind toward psychoanalyzing actual superheroes instead of comics about them. I would love to see more of him as a character in this universe.

This is neat, thanks

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

All of PeteyPedia is worth reading tho, check it out

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

what the gently caress is he using as bait

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Suxpool posted:

i'm just happy to see Cadillac from The Get Down getting work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXNqWneEOSI

Holy poo poo

Now I’m gonna be really disappointed if we don’t see Cal drop some funky moves on anyone.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah the story of Will and Angela and the Police Chief will be resolved

Concurrently the hook for season 2 will be introduced at the end of the season

It's the time clock, and it controls time!

Edit, yeah Lindelof has done other stuff since Lost, but is it really fair to describe him as the Cowboys & Aliens guy? I think people are gonna consider him the Lost Guy until he does something at least better than it

So, The Leftovers?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

[quote="GoGoGadgetChris" post=""500055943”"]
I never have any doubt when I'm watching a Taika Waititi movie or a Tarantino movie
[/quote]

Style sure. But there were no vampires in Thor Ragnarok. People are capable of telling different stories sometimes.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Sri.Theo posted:

Time travel doesn’t follow from her knowing where the meteorite would land. She could have just tracked an object in space with telescopes. Even makes more sense that way as you couldn’t be certain until it hits the atmosphere.

Did she fast grow that babby in Veidts clone microwave once the meteorite hit atmosphere?

Xanderkish posted:

to enter a presidential bunker using a specially designed penis scanner.

No mystery there, Justin Theroux has a one of a kind hog :dong:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

Snyder's Watchmen movie missed the point of the comic, instead of being a serialized work of printed sequential art in 1987 it was a series of still images projected in rapid succession to create the illusion of movement in 2009.

what a hack

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Farm Frenzy posted:

It took ages for the show to confirm that the guy who is almost certainly ozymandias is ozymandias and I don't really think the ambiguity added anything. It just feels like its just there to incite speculation. I'm enjoying lots of the show but this sorta stuff has left me not really invested in what's going on.

I don’t understand how anyone ever doubted he was ozymandias. Like, it was announced that actor was cast as Veidt, he was acting like Veidt, and just because he hadn’t put on his silly costume people were speculating it wasn’t him??

I think that “ambiguity” was there because people wanted some Lostish mystery to complain about, it seemed pretty obvious who th character was.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Space Veidt? Confirmed.

Space God? Forsaken us.

Looking Glass? Woke.

Episode good y’all

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

DuhSal posted:

One minor quibble I had with this ep is them cutting to a previous scene when a character references something from the past. They did it on I think like three different occasions. I get it if it's stuff that happened in previous episodes but they were from the same episode. Could trust the audience a bit more there. Otherwise very entertaining episode.

This also really bugged me, we flashed back to his silver lined hat, flashed back to him on 11/2, and one other time I’m forgetting. I hate when they do this poo poo.

That said, still the best episode so far.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

The alarm was installed in a closet in his house.

Great episode. Agreed that the quick flashback cuts were bad and just there for dummies who aren't paying attention. Almost wish that were the opener instead of so far in. Gonna need that pull out to the squid in clip form for sure.

Also, Viedt made a video for Redford in the future so he knew he wasn't going to be around. He probably hosed with interdimensional tech trying to follow Manhattan into the unknown, found the place where he tried making some life of his own before getting bored and peacing out, then got stuck there.

The video was meant for President Redford in 1992, and Veidt in the show has only been missing for 7 years in current 2019 tho.

Not saying he didn’t have plans to gently caress off to another planet or whatever, but I think it’s indicated he was around until ~2012

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Is everyone in the show driving electric cars? Am I only just now noticing this?

Yeah, that electric car whirring sound has been for everything since the opening. It really stood out to me on the lettuce truck since you’d expect it to have a clunky sounding exhaust.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I wish message boards like this existed in the 80s so I could go back and read theories and complaints and whatever from readers of the comic as they were getting it on a monthly basis.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

massive spider posted:

Veidt says the event will give sensitives worldwide nightmares for years but says nothing about their ability to survive.

Yeah, this leads me to believe Wade is sensitive and not just using intuition as a lie detector. I also really like how his interrogation pod is basically the funhouse mirror room he was in during the 11/2 incident.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

plus he’s a bit drunk

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

On rewatch the can of beans feels a little too on the nose, 2/10

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

magiccarpet posted:

The Veidt video had the eye of the squid behind him but they never zoomed out to show it and I was bummed

Yeah I thought that’s what that was, I assume the rest of that video goes into specifics on the whole evil plot to save the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I watched the movie before last night's episode and it's just jarring how badly Veidt was adapted for the film

Having a good chuckle at Young Jeremy Irons recording that eccentric goofball video with a smile on his face, and then one day later giving that grim solemn speech to the watchmen at the north pole or wherever

Episode was good except the ending is objectively bad. It's a format that works well for Netflix-style season binges but not a weekly release. Reminded me a lot of a season of Alias ages ago where they end the season with a guy getting plugged full of bullets and immediately fading to black so that people would wonder for months and months whether he'd live or die.

Idk, a single episode cliff hanger isn’t nearly as big a deal as an entire season ending on some character being shot and bleeding out. I get it, you didn’t like Lost, but this was a great episode of television (despite the dumb editing of flashbacks interspersed).