Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I was hoping I wouldn't be into the show so I could avoid the discourse... but it's really good. I've seen the first two episodes and I kinda love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I'm really interested to see how it plays for people who haven't read the series or even seen the movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

hcreight posted:

I was wondering if this would finally be the adaptation of Moore's work that he doesn't hate but I guess he proactively asked Lindelof to leave his name out of the credits and promo material so good luck with that.

Like most adaptations of his work, I doubt he ever even ends up watching it. But yeah, it's just Dave Gibbons that's credited.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jose Oquendo posted:

If that newspaper is to be believed, he is dead.

Declared dead. We saw him alive and well in the episode.

It really is a fantastic pilot and all the little background details are intriguing. IMO episodes 3, 5 and 6 are even better than the pilot so I'm excited to see how people react to them.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Scooter_McCabe posted:

How do you know 3, 5 and 6 are particularly good?

I've seen them.

teagone posted:

Redford's been president for 30 years lol.

[edit] Oh the show takes place 30 years after Watchmen. Duh.

"Redford-rations" is such an insane detail.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Ross DaouThot posted:

I believe it's "Redford-ations", as in "Reparations". Hence the specific anger at the kid insulting it, because it's not as broad as "welfare" and more specifically racist to call out.

Yeah, it is. I just didn't really know how to type it out lol

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Ross DaouThot posted:

still, such a cool world detail

Yeah, it's some fantastic world-building.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I just can't get into the historical context. Even in watchmen universe, the police are still the evolution of Slave Patrols, the police (and affiliated groups) are the ones doing the murdering in Tulsa, murdering labor organizations throughout history, and so on. The police would be on the exact same side as whatever right wing movement springs up, and to pretend they would fight against them would require a much different and longer term historical rewrite than we've been asked to accept.

You're not wrong, but I think the important context is that these guys are specifically cop killers too. They did the "White Night", they're the impetus for the masks, etc. So the cops aren't specifically against the 7th Kavalry's beliefs, they just have a personal vendetta.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

So in an intra-right wing fascist racist beef I'm just rooting for them to all kill each other, and no one wins. Unless there's some big swerve...

Sure. I don't think you necessarily have to root for one side to "win" to find it interesting.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Reznor/Ross doing a John Carpenter riff? Mix it as high as you want, baby.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Niwrad posted:

So is watching the movie required before this? I've seen it, but many years ago.

No, but it probably helps to be familiar with the book. You could watch the movie instead if you want, but just change what happens at the end to a giant psychic squid.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I talked to my mom who watched it last night and has no idea what the gently caress Watchmen is and she really liked it/had a lot of questions about the backstory.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

DickStatkus posted:

Concerning the boy becoming Hooded Justice; a black Hooded Justice being whitewashed runs parallel to Bass Reeves, the lawman in the film at the beginning, being whitewashed into The Lone Ranger irl. This is immediately reinforced by the staging of an all black Oklahoma play. To me this is a very interesting route to take concerning the neoliberal admiration of something like Hamilton where we applaud an all POC cast for performing a white story, which amounts to a modern minstrel show (If it was really subversive Mike Pence wouldn’t be trying to get a ticket). The suggestion that America’s future lies in a dystopian fascist state whether under a conservative or neoliberal regime is very tantalizing and I think if this show swerves the way it’s going to swerve it’s going to break brains from every political persuasion.

This is a good post, and it's where I want the show to go.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Rappaport posted:

On a second watch, I found my favourite bit of the 'pod' interrogation imagery

It's my favourite part. Mostly because Tim Blake Nelson rules, the score rules, and I like the remix of Rorschach imagery in it. It helps that Looking Glass is incredibly distinct looking. I thought the reflective mask thing looked goofy in stills, but it works really well in practice.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I do think it might play worse with people who are more familiar with the other times DC have tried to milk the property. I was telling a friend about a thing that happens and they were like, "Oh that sounds like something in Before Watchmen" and it turned them off.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Who gives a poo poo what someone said in an interview? Watch the show and make up your mind. Or don't.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There's a "Pirate Jenny" listed in the credits. What character is that? The owlship pilot? Cops can just take on superhero names in this show?

Yeah, it's the Owlship's pilot.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I love Lost, The Leftovers and Prometheus and I think Watchmen will stand alongside them.

But I also think the actual Watchmen movie is pretty great too, so feel free to disregard my opinion.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Midgetskydiver posted:

because Lindelof just made poo poo up as he went

Have I got some bad news for you about most TV, friend

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I liked the part where the dad does coke and then the daughter and wife both lightly acknowledge the coke on his nose but then don't immediately follow up with some speech about them being worried or something.

Not his daughter, but yeah, I agree.

It was interesting to use that as a way to show how stressed he is by the situation and people being worried about the stress and not him specifically doing drugs.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I was 100% had me expecting a bombing or commando assault because of “Unforgettable” playing in the background. I guess the movie is fair play for callbacks.

No joke, it would be amazing if they set a pathetic gently caress to Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Here's my theory about the Ozymandias/Dr. Manhattan thing. It's speculation, but I do also know the next 5 episodes, so I'll spoiler it.

Jeremy Irons absolutely is Ozymandias. But, for some reason, I think he's stuck on the world that Manhattan said he'd go and create at the end of the book. The servants are all made in God's image, which is why I think Tom Mison will be Manhattan if he ever appears properly.

But Irons is absolutely Ozy and I don't think they're being coy with it, just not making a point to spell it out because the rest of his situation is a mystery.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I think the biggest lesson people should take away from Lost is to completely ignore interviews and marketing and just judge a show based on whether or not you're enjoying it. Bail on something when you start disliking it. It's a good system.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

KoRMaK posted:

ohhhh... okay

well can you guys just like not post even as spoilers. i feel like its just going to inevitable change the whole conversation. is this already a battle that i shouldnt be asking about?

Yeah, my bad. What I posted was just speculation, I just wanted to preface it, but you're right.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

pyrotek posted:

The discussion over the last couple of pages made me check IMDB and I found out that Lindelof wrote Star Trek Into Darkness.

I enjoyed the first episode of this but I'm not sure that I can reconcile enjoying anything by someone that helped write that pile of trash.

To be fair it was Robert Orci who is the weirdo truther who also got booted from Star Trek Beyond because his script was so bad. Although the inside job poo poo was the actually interesting part of that movie.

But whatever, every writer has a bad movie or two.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Necrothatcher posted:

I hope we get to see at least tobacco crack pipe thing in the new series. I loved that little touch from the comic.

I love poo poo like this.

The show actually made me go through my closet full of boxes of books and track down the comic so I can reread it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It still kinda blows my mind how good the cast is in this. I'm used to Regina King being great in a TV show, but I'm so happy to get several weeks worth of Tim Blake Nelson, Jean Smart and Jeremy Irons.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Preston Waters posted:

Whatever. It's the gently caress song then. It's in the novel.

Anyway, continuing the black and white theme: what's black and white and red all over?

A: a field of dead, bullet-ridden cows

I didn't truly appreciate how totally hosed up those cows got until my second watch. Sister Night hiding behind that cow while it got absolutely shredded reminded me of Django Unchained.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Agent355 posted:

Changing your script because some rear end in a top hat on reddit guessed it is a guaranteed way to make a bad script. Just let the dude be smug about guessing it and everybody who didn't read that reddit thread won't even care or notice and the show would still be good.

I remember when the original ending of the Terminator Salvation script leaked they changed it to something much more boring due to the backlash. If you're going to be bad, at least be bad and interesting.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

So American Hero Story is definitely a play on the Snyder film, right?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I like James Wolk doing his best Kyle Chandler impression as Joe Keene Jr.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Newsstand guy has the best politics in the show

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

KoRMaK posted:

What was up with the white man on Angela's porch? Is she raising his kids or something, some sort of child placement thing for white families?

I think he's their grandfather, and maybe they were kids orphaned during the White Night that the Abars adopted? Her conversation with the oldest kid feels like it hints to that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Supreme Allah posted:

BEASTIE BOYS

I laughed hard at the small detail of him pulling the egg out of the water leading to that song playing over the credits.

Mantis42 posted:

Anyways I reread the comic over the past few days, paying special attention to the Hooded Justice character. The robbery scene might be a riff on Snyder, but it's accurate to what Under The Hood says about HJ's debut being brutal.

Yeah, I think it's absolutely a Snyder reference, but I don't consider it too much of a piss take.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HexiDave posted:

I wondered about that, but that was the second time he didn't seem to care about extreme heat - earlier in the show he just downed a mug of fresh coffee. Might be reading too much into it, but they specifically made a point to show Angela making a "what the gently caress?" face at him chugging the scalding coffee.

Yeah, him chugging the coffee and then pulling the egg out of boiling water like it was nothing were definite signs for Angela.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Supreme Allah posted:

Veidt has so much murders hovering on his head there's no way a single murder even registers anymore and this show is acknowledging it.

Human life to him is like less than the life of an ant, he's a real sickie.

God, the play was so funny/horrifying.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

ElNarez posted:

uh what

on color saturation alone this isn't a snyder riff, it's very specifically doing the heightened reality of Ryan Murphy's shows, see: American Crime Story S2, latter American Horror Story, Glee, whatever else he's been producing

It's both. Obviously with the name and casting it's a Ryan Murphy riff, but to me it also seems like a play on Snyder's version of Watchmen. Don't get me wrong, I think his Watchmen movie is great, but this seemed like a way to incorporate it playfully.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 28, 2019

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

KoRMaK posted:

IMDB says jermy irons is viedt. and while I'm on board with that as a speculation, has it actually been confirmed in or stated in the show? Did one of the clones call him adrian and i missed it? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7049682/

No, none of the servants have called him that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Blotto_Otter posted:

I've had the exact opposite reaction. I thought that cheesy line only worked because of Tim Blake Nelson, and would've seen incredibly corny coming from someone else. I love what he's doing with that character, but then again I've always been a Tim Blake Nelson fan.

Exactly. I'm a huge mark for Tim Blake Nelson too, but I still think he's done a great job with what he's had so far. It helps that his character design is the most striking so far. He also got the best scene in the premiere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Zmej posted:

does no one remember Lost lol

Lost, was good

So was The Leftovers.