Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

feedmyleg posted:

That's what it felt like to me for a while, but after the farm raid it doesn't seem likely.

During the traffic stop at the beginning, who was the person in charge of releasing the gun? I assumed the reluctance on the part of the officer to talk to that person was because they were a suspected Seventh Cavalry member, but in retrospect it might've been Panda or someone like him who was anti-lethal force.

But I feel like we're definitely going to get some sort of Cavalry mole in the force regardless.

I thought panda was a black guy under that stupid head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

It is nice to see a world for a change that isn't a dystopia.

Is this a joke post

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Cash Monet posted:

I'm wondering if "white supremacist" is going to have a different meaning here. Something like the squid attack caused some kind of change or perceived change and that's what this whole thing is about. The kid mentioned "Redfordations" (love it) which could mean just reparations for slavery or maybe something else? We'll see.

The 7th Calvary re-writing Rorshach's journal to include mentions of "race traitors" made it pretty clear what their intent is.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rocksicles posted:

Panda is played by Jacob Ming-Trent, who is black.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

During the traffic stop at the beginning, who was the person in charge of releasing the gun? .

The dispatcher says "I'm putting you through to Panda" and then Panda says "hello this is Panda" which is how the show subtly suggests to you that the officer's talking to Panda

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 21, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Oh hell it popped into my head as I went to sleep. The robot servants, the old lithium cancer causing batteries. Veidt is behind making a robotic Dr. Manhattan who is going to come and enforce a get-a-long gang world order. What makes everyone act nice and be constantly afraid? A big blue god that blasts you with cancer. Veidt has to make a robo-cop Manhattan because the real one is so disconnected from humanity he couldn't give two fucks to save it again. But the fun part is perhaps in making robo-Manhattan the real one notices a distortion blocking his sight into the future like the last time, and that causes him to come and correct the problem with less than stellar results. After all nothing ends.

Except at the end of the book Manhattan leaves because he's regained his humanity. He's genuinely happy because Laurie and Dan found one another and will be together. Hell, he even smiles at Veidt as a "gently caress you" when he tells him "nothing ever ends". He even say he's going to leave for somewhere "Less complicated". If he was truly "disconnected", he wouldn't need to leave because nothing around him would truly matter to him.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just can't get into the historical context. Even in watchmen universe, the police are still the evolution of Slave Patrols, the police (and affiliated groups) are the ones doing the murdering in Tulsa, murdering labor organizations throughout history, and so on. The police would be on the exact same side as whatever right wing movement springs up, and to pretend they would fight against them would require a much different and longer term historical rewrite than we've been asked to accept.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I just can't get into the historical context. Even in watchmen universe, the police are still the evolution of Slave Patrols, the police (and affiliated groups) are the ones doing the murdering in Tulsa, murdering labor organizations throughout history, and so on. The police would be on the exact same side as whatever right wing movement springs up, and to pretend they would fight against them would require a much different and longer term historical rewrite than we've been asked to accept.

I agree, but I also think the series is setting up a swerve here.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Except at the end of the book Manhattan leaves because he's regained his humanity. He's genuinely happy because Laurie and Dan found one another and will be together. Hell, he even smiles at Veidt as a "gently caress you" when he tells him "nothing ever ends". He even say he's going to leave for somewhere "Less complicated". If he was truly "disconnected", he wouldn't need to leave because nothing around him would truly matter to him.

He hasn't regained his humanity, he's regained his appreciation for humanity while recognizing that he's personally ascended beyond it. That's why he plans to go create life instead of taking part in it

Rocksicles posted:

The bad guys are racists. it's like the justice league vs Injustice League

Yeah man I bet the characters in this Watchmen sequel are exactly like the justice league

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 21, 2019

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

hcreight posted:

The 7th Calvary re-writing Rorshach's journal to include mentions of "race traitors" made it pretty clear what their intent is.

TBF since they were wearing masks they could be saying anything and the cops/powers that be could dub it over with something else. I don’t believe that’s what’s happening, but it’s a possibility.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

It seems strange that a guy who openly expresses support for communism (the dude is wearing red and yellow for chrissakes)

Do you think The Flash is a communist

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah, I was thinking that it was either Panda or a Seventh Cavalry mole, not that Panda was one.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The dispatcher says "I'm putting you through to Panda" and then Panda says "hello this is Panda" which is how the show subtly suggests to you that the officer's talking to Panda

Hey man some of us were really high when we watched it okay :mad:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

You're not wrong, but I think the important context is that these guys are specifically cop killers too. They did the "White Night", they're the impetus for the masks, etc. So the cops aren't specifically against the 7th Kavalry's beliefs, they just have a personal vendetta.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Someone mentioned the call-in radio show while Don Johnson was driving. The caller is supporting "Joe JR", and they mention Senator Joe Keene, who was the author of the Keene act, which outlawed vigilantes, in the comic.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Hey man some of us were really high when we watched it okay :mad:

Now I've gone from mad about comics to envious about drugs

Although honestly the Tulsa massacre scene might be way too much for me if I'm high

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

LesterGroans posted:

You're not wrong, but I think the important context is that these guys are specifically cop killers too. They did the "White Night", they're the impetus for the masks, etc. So the cops aren't specifically against the 7th Kavalry's beliefs, they just have a personal vendetta.

So in an intra-right wing fascist racist beef I'm just rooting for them to all kill each other, and no one wins. Unless there's some big swerve...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Pretty sure that's the way it's going, yeah. My guess is that the old man (/little boy/probably Hooded Justice) is going to pull Sister Night away from the fascist police force and into vigilantism, opposing both sides as everything turns to chaos. Then Veidt's weird robots (I'm thinking it's actually clones since he was into genetic engineering in the original) will do, uh, something.

Important to note that in Tulsa, the police were actively on the side of the massacre, having secretly plotted it beforehand. So I severely doubt the show would try to make the cops the goodguys here.

Also, really hoping that they don't just ignore the "sensitives" in this show. That'd be a real shame.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

So in an intra-right wing fascist racist beef I'm just rooting for them to all kill each other, and no one wins. Unless there's some big swerve...

Sure. I don't think you necessarily have to root for one side to "win" to find it interesting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Season trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt8f1OBoOUE

Remain vigilant and don't watch it, friends.

i'm weak so I did

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
My wild guess is that Veidt is trying to get Osterman (the watchmaker's son) to come back to Earth by manipulating the white supremacists into doing some weird science poo poo with the synthetic lithium batteries

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

feedmyleg posted:

Season trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt8f1OBoOUE

Remain vigilant and don't watch it, friends.

i'm weak so I did

They showed the trailer right at the end of the loving pilot, i got bamboozled

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I doubt the boy/old man is meant to be Hooded Justice.

Hooded Justice was a Nazi, for one.

But mainly, he's dead. In Watchmen it's very unsubtly hinted that Comedian killed him, and he was the strongman mentioned. In Before Watchmen (if they use any of that) it's confirmed he's dead although Nite Owl did it mistakenly. Comedian still killed the strongman though.

Arist posted:

Panda is played by Jacob Ming-Trent, who is black.

Yeah, and you can see the bottom part of his face in the helmet anyway.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Rocksicles posted:

The bad guys are racists. it's like the justice league vs Injustice League

All the masks in Watchmen are bad guys on some level.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You can’t make a story about race in America and have police be the good guys. Not unless you’re stupid on the level of those game of thrones guys who tried to do the “what if the confederates won?” prestige show.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Now I've gone from mad about comics to envious about drugs

Although honestly the Tulsa massacre scene might be way too much for me if I'm high

It was pretty tough.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

But mainly, he's dead. In Watchmen it's very unsubtly hinted that Comedian killed him, and he was the strongman mentioned. In Before Watchmen (if they use any of that) it's confirmed he's dead although Nite Owl did it mistakenly. Comedian still killed the strongman though.

All very true. I've actually been going back through some of the supplemental material from the comic that I used to skip when I was a teenager like Under the Hood, and I wish the Minutemen spinoff had been able to do more with those characters, because all their backstories had so much potential.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 21, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I very much doubt that at the end of the day this series is going to expect you to root for the masked, torturing, cult-like, unaccountable police force as The Good Guys.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Dog posted:

I very much doubt that at the end of the day this series is going to expect you to root for the masked, torturing, cult-like, unaccountable police force as The Good Guys.

Some will, some will probably be team sister fucker too.

what are you gonna to do

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

General Dog posted:

The police might be the protagonists/"good guys" in the depressing sense in which Rorschach and his friends are the protagonists/"good guys" in Watchmen

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i thought the kkk strafing people with aeroplanes in 1921 was over the top and welp turns out they actually did it :stare:

When I saw that I was like "Okay okay so in the Watchmen world the KKK went bigger, got it."

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I wondered if "Anniversary" meant the anniversary of the attack, but checking the novel the attack happened early november and the show starts in september.

Also while I love the Reznor and Ross score I felt like the editor was a bit too in love with it and mixed it super high, and the loud clock ticking felt a bit on the nose too.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I thought the strongman was a communist sympathizer (or was he just listed as one) while Hooded Justice believed in the Third Reich (before Pearl Harbor specifically) so they likely aren't the same person.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Don Johnson was giving off pretty strong "McBain's soon-to-retire partner" vibes the entire episode.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

massive spider posted:

Also while I love the Reznor and Ross score I felt like the editor was a bit too in love with it and mixed it super high, and the loud clock ticking felt a bit on the nose too.

Same. I felt like it was pretty heavy-handed throughout, despite being really good. The ticking was a bit much, and it was about 50% too prominent during the raid. I was hoping for something a bit more like the Dunkirk score when it came to the clock sounds.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo the interrogation scene was insane. I love this

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
That is probably my one big criticism of the show that the score seems a bit too high in the mix.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, and you can see the bottom part of his face in the helmet anyway.

the noose, the fact that bass reeves wore an outfit similar... and look at lou gosset's junior's wardrobe colors! the man is hooded justice! Very interested to see how they whitewash the first costumed vigilante being african american

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When I said "it wasn't a dystopia" I meant it doesn't take place in some lovely crumbling city where everyone's murdering everyone constantly. So more the media version of a dystopia, than the dictionary version.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 21, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fritzler posted:

I thought the strongman was a communist sympathizer (or was he just listed as one) while Hooded Justice believed in the Third Reich (before Pearl Harbor specifically) so they likely aren't the same person.

The argument people have made is that he was probably just a real hardcore authoritarian and didn't care so much about the specifics of how you got there. So Nazi, and then Communists post war.

In Before Watchmen they're different people. I don't know why they bothered to do that since of course they were meant to be the same guy. The only reason Moore doesn't confirm it on the page is because the whole thing is told in universe through Mason and the Frontiersman.

Also I completely forgot you can see around Hooded Justice's eyes in his costume, and he's white.

Bass Reeves' outfit before he reveals himself in the movie sure looked a lot like Hooded Justice though. I certainly won't mind if they change it, but I do wonder if they're willing to retcon that much what details we know from the book we can still trust. It doesn't matter really, but it takes some fun out of the discussion.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I don't really like Reznor much but the score is actually quite good and I'm all for it being mixed loud as gently caress during the more intense scenes.