Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Herostratus posted:

Also from Peteypedia, Laurie tells Petey to " get over to Mirror Guy’s house and bring him in. He flipped on Abar too fast and given what I just heard, I can’t rule out the little poo poo is Kavalry."
Good starting point to next episode, and perhaps a lubeman appearance?

When he was watching the wall-O-TVs, he was also getting a blast of new-and-improved mind control.

I love how any 'old' footage they have is in 4:3.

I wonder if they made the Cyclops hand-signal, which seems to be 'middle finger pressed to thumb, index finger up,' stupid and obvious so it hopefully wouldn't be picked up and used by actual racist shitheads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

just another posted:

It's the White Power symbol that 4chan meme'd into existence months ago: https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/okay-hand-gesture

It's close, but it's not the same. I'm wondering why; like you say, there are existing gestures they could use.

Also, think of Manhattan like this: of course he has a choice. But he also happens to know what choice he makes, at times that, by our perception of time, are 'before' he actually makes the choice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, the example I keep going back to is computers, because we all agree computers don't have souls, but computers are capable of making choices.

Would you say that computers can't make choices? According to that alternative definition, that's reasonable. But according to the definition I was going with, computers can make a "choice". What do you call that if not a choice? Options?

At no point has my computer ever 'chosen' to do something. It's been instructed to perform various actions, which involves an awful lot of math, but my computer doesn't just suddenly boot up Word and write a sonnet one day.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

But to go back to the post that I originally responded to, with that ability to observe the future I don't know that you can call any of Jon's choices rational or irrational, they just are. He makes choices completely dispassionately because he knows the outcome is unchangeable. And if the outcome is unchangeable, then what is "choice", really? It becomes a meaningless word.

He makes choices, but he also sees the outcome of those choices. He doesn't have the future knowledge available to make the choice.

You're thinking of him as if his life were a Choose Your Own Adventure book, where he can look at a page, skip ahead to the two pages that would result from a choice, decide which one he likes, then go back to the original page and 'choose.' That's not what he does.

https://www.angryflower.com/296.html

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

What? He absolutely has the future knowledge available when he makes choices. He sees all the choices he's ever made in his life all at once. So he can see the choice being made at one moment in time, and the outcome at a different moment in time, all simultaneously. So if he sees that the choice he's about to make results in a bad outcome, why not make a different choice? The answer can only be two options, either he can't or he's lost his humanity to such an extent that he doesn't care to.

Because if he made a different choice, he'd see a different outcome. He makes the choice, and sees the outcome of the choice, *at the same time.* He doesn't see possible futures; he sees the future that stems from his own past.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

But if you don't make the choice that seems right to you, what are you doing? Picking things at random? What you do is based on your own logical thinking, isn't it?

You have a quiz. You look at the answers. You consider your confidence that each choice is correct

A - 80%
B - 20%
C - 0%

You answer A, the most likely choice. How is that not simply a process where the sum of all that has come before it determines what you do? What else is there? That's the thing. Even if you do have a soul, what does it do? Your brain makes a logical calculation that A is the best choice, and then your soul says "Nah lets be crazy, WILD CARD" and goes with B anyways?

That would mean there's no point in having a brain, because your soul is just gonna overwrite it. But we know for a fact that your brain is integral to how you think.

To me, having “choice” means you have choice. Maybe you refuse to answer. Maybe you cheat. Maybe you purposefully answer wrong for whatever reason. Maybe you get up and leave. Maybe you attack the test taker.

But you’re not constrained to the specific text. Train a neural net to answer quizzes, and it’s not even going to answer quizzes until it’s told to.

I guess what I’m saying is a man chooses, a slave obeys. Down with the AI overlords.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

duck trucker posted:

When Manhattan is using future information in conversation he's trying to word stuff in a way that would make sense to who he is talking to.

Like when he laughs about being told by Angela/Veidt that he has an amazing/no imagination he goes "That's funny because 6 months from now/6 months ago I was told the opposite."

But from his perspective what he wants to say is "That's funny because I'm being told the opposite right now."

I'd have to go back and rewatch, but doesn't Dr. M always speak in the present?

"Six months from now, Adrian is telling me that I don't have any imagination."

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Will ate the Manhattan egg way back in episode two or three or whatever. He reached into a pot of boiling water, plucked out the egg, and ate it. Soon after that, he gave up his wheelchair, no longer needed Nostalgia to remember the past, and at the end, we find him sitting in the theater, where *he* teleported the kids and protected them. Will is the new Dr. Manhattan. Book it, done.

And as for Lady T, yes, her *stated* goal was to do good with Manhattan's powers. However, her actual actions throughout the show belie that; she installs the Manhattan Booths to spy on people. She tortures animals. She cloned her own mother, and is then force-feeding the clone her mother's memories, robbing that new individual of their own identity. She creates life, and uses it to extort things out of people. She masterminds a huge plot to kill Dr. Manhattan to take his power by force. She imprisons her own father out of spite.

If she can do all that with just technology, what would she do with Manhattan-level powers?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
As you know, Master, you are Adrian Veidt, also known as the costumed vigilante Ozymandias.

Nah. For people unfamiliar with the backstory, it was a slow reveal. For people familiar with the backstory, it's another reason Veidt hates the place: because all of the people there don't give a gently caress about who he is. He's not their Master because they acknowledge his genius and obvious superiority. He's their master because he's physically present, and they're built to venerate. And for him, it's hell.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Last week, you chose to eat chicken instead of beef. Today, you remember making that decision, and tell me about it.

Next week, Dr. Manhattan will he presented with the choice of having chicken or beef. Today, he remembers making that choice, and tells me about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
To me, Ozy’s arc was the series’ Black Freighter.