Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I was hesitant at first. As was my DVR, which refused to record the first couple of episodes because of reasons.

But that's why we have On Demand.

I'm enjoying the show so far. It's got a nice, slow build. And Looking Glass is being played by Buster Scruggs... I like it.

Thankfully, they stopped leaning so heavily on Sister Night's leitmotif. I mean, it was a cool beat 'n all, but I think I could figure out when she was doing stuff without that track playing every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Thranguy posted:

Only because Dr. Manhattan left Earth, which was caused by Ozy's cancer scam, part of the plan. If he hadn't murdered most of Dr. Manhattan's associates there would be no crisis; the military would have either smoothed things over with Laurie or found a replacement. There may have been a long term danger, but the immediate crisis was entirely Veidt's fault and he thus can get no credit for averting it.

Imagine what it would be like if, in real life, there were people out there tripping over their balls in the rush to give credit to some megalomaniac who created the very problems he claims to have fixed, with those "fixes" coming at enormous, terrible cost.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Wasn't it just a dogwasher? I think it was a dog washer. Like a dishwasher. Except dogs. They are just cleaning the little pooch up so it can be adopted by someone who wants a single dog who is almost exactly but not completely like a different dog someone else owns.

Right? Right? That dog is OK, right?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

They call this punching the V card.

I see what you did there.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

graham cracker posted:

The sense of scent is incredibly attached to memories. I don't have any sources to cite, but I know this. Weird, right?

They mentioned this in the "Hey, it's a spaceclone!" episode of Defiance.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Why are we using spoiler tags on conjecture?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

come on now, it's obvious why it's an elephant

elephants never forget!

Unfortunately, that was literally the only thing that crossed my mind during that whole sequence. I didn't know whether to laugh or ask my wife to take me to the ER because my eyeballs had rolled so far that I couldn't get them facing forward. Again.

That said, I still enjoyed the gently caress out of this episode.

Early in the series, we see Manhattan on Mars (supposedly) demolish a castle he's built. Later, we see Sister Night's kiddo, Insaneface McGillicuddy, demolish a similar play castle he's constructed out of Magic K'NEX rods. As soon as Grandpa Night said he was Dr. Manhattan, that had me wondering if the kid was Dr. Manhattan. Seems I wasn't too far off.

This all has me wondering... if Dr. Manhattan has all of the powers we're familiar with, what about Dr. Bronx? Dr. Queens? Dr. Brooklyn?

Whoever they are, and whatever they can do, you can sure as poo poo bet the house that they don't have much respect for Dr. Statenisland.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Barry Convex posted:

it's a well-made and entertaining show but I don't think it actually has anything coherent to say about racial injustice or how it should be remedied tbh

What do you mean, there's nothing about how it should be remedied? Am I taking crazy pills? Because it seems pretty clear to me that the way to end the white nationalist/supremacy movements is to build a sciencemagic clock that's powered by elephant brains in the heartland, and cloning helps, too. How is everyone not getting this?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

Re: Veidt's "eight million" children

When I heard that I was a bit confused. My first thought was maybe he's referencing people who got mindfucked by the squid or something? Like Looking Glass's formative life experience is surviving the squid's psychic blast, so in a sense Veidt shaped their lives and they are the legacy of his crazyass scheme. Those eight million "children" (maybe the kids of the people who survived too) live with the trauma of the squid and that trauma helps keep the post-nuclear world order in place.

Maybe I misheard it, but I thought he said "eight billion children." I took it to mean what he credits himself for saving: the current total population of Earth. They'd be dead if not for him and 3 million sacrifices.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

So veidt's squid rains have been on autopilot for a couple years?

I was wondering about that. We see in the scene that he is doing some manual intervention to get the squifall going--looks like he was maybe selecting a target, then hitting a few buttons to activate something, etc. If it can go on autopilot, why not just... do that? Unless he's bored, maybe, I guess? "I could set my coffee maker up to brew coffee automatically in the morning, but why do that when I can fart around with it tomorrow morning when I'm in a hurry to get to work?"

Also, 7K might have found his lair. Maybe they've been keeping up the charade.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's the thing about looking glass. You see in him what you see in yourself!

Not unlike how mirrors & ink blot tests work

I guess LG's "pod" or whatever is meant to get people's inner beasts to come roaring out of them like a wild animal.

The pod is this story's Roar Shack.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Lord Krangdar posted:

In the show all that's really been said/shown is that Jon and Laurie were together, they broke up, but sometimes she still misses him.

In the comic their relationship began when he cheated on his wife with her, while she was underage. Then she was basically a kept woman, used by the government to keep their best weapon docile and somewhat tied to human concerns. And they broke up when she cheated on him with Dan Dreiberg. It never was much of a romance, and its not made clear how much he really did care about her.

Well, he cared enough to triple-handedly run a train on her.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This Thread: wow this episode really dropped the ball i thought this show was about race relations and had something important to say

Also This Thread: what do you mean there was a black jesus!?!?!?!

I love Black Jesus. But, now that a second actor from the show has died, I'm pretty sure we won't get another season.

It's just as well, I guess. This last season had a bunch of on-screen miracle stuff, and I didn't care for that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I wonder if we'll hear about that meteor that hit that bit of farmland that Lady Trieu had just bought a few moments prior to when it landed?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Well, there's only one episode left to see if the producers are bold enough to take advantage of their DC connections and give us a Gotham-Watchmen crossover. I want to see Balloon Man make a bad guy float away! GIVE US OUR HAM!!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
OK... so Dr. Manhattan said that he could put his power into something that a person could consume to gain said powers. He was talking hypothetically about an egg. Later, Angela breaks the eggs. Then he's straight-up pullin' a Jesus Christ on the family's pool, and he looks at her and says, "This is a Chekhov's Gun."

Clearly, he put his power into the water. She must drink the pool water to get his powers. All of it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I loved this episode. I wish they'd had the balls to show whether or not Angela could walk on water and become Dr. Mrs. The Manhattan (my wife came up with that name immediately), but other than that cop-out, it was wonderful.

I was seriously worried that Lady Trieu would get Manhattonized. I knew Senator Dickshits wouldn't get it, but I was supremely pleased at his demise. I was hoping they wouldn't do a body horror monster thing, and they didn't. It was great.

This season was a great ride. Has Watchmen been renewed?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Really big fan of Adrian going right for the "drop squid on it" button every time he runs into conflict

When a problem comes along
You must squid it
Before the world goes up in smog
You must squid it
If the plan is going wrong
You must squid it

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Lube man never being addressed show of the year

Yeah, his character must have slipped through the cracks.

(No regrets.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in that I'm very disappointed that a writers room filled with POC decided to talk about the Black Experience in American rather than solving racism in a scifi tv show about a naked blue man. In the next hour and fourteen minutes, I will explain exactly why the show failed and how it cou...

You're only saying that because you were always going to say that. Free will isn't a thing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

I mean, the family got the child they wanted and 5 million dollars (I forget, might have been 4). They didn't give a gently caress about the farm at that point, not comparatively. They only rebuffed the offer at first because they thought the baby might be bullshit and she didn't mention the millions of dollars part.

The scene of the wife sitting outside and nobody coming to buy eggs all day was supposed to show the farm really isn't worth all that much.

Not saying she's good but that part wasn't bad.

You do realize that the only reason she made the insanely ridiculously unbelievable offer of Impossibaby + Five Megadollars was that she'd own the land that the Ozzy Egg landed on, right? She knew it was coming, and they didn't. The clone and the money are not even a drop in the bucket of her resources.

It was pretty much the opposite of altruism.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

2) Wade conking Veidt from behind while he was talking to Laurie was funny because Rorschach tried exactly the same thing in 1985 and Veidt clowned him. After Veidt had shown that he could still catch bullets it was a nice subversion.

This has come up a few times.

My thought on it is that yeah, he caught a bullet. A relatively slow, big-rear end bullet. But, he knew it was coming. Reflexes dulled with age are still more capable when the element of surprise is totally lost.

As for how Looking Glass (I think you know that's his name) was able to conk him on the head from behind... Veidt had called him a "hayseed." Where Veidt knew what Rorschach was capable of and had a level of respect for him, he didn't seem to give LG the same level of respect. He viewed LG as a country bumpkin version of a pretend superhero, assuming he even knew that about the guy. Really, all he would have "known" was that Wade was one of the Seventh Day Calvorists who was maybe kind-of a turncoat. He had no reason to pay Wade any attention or give him any respect as a fighter.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Also, remember that creating a video (in which you lay out your master plan) isn't a huge deal in a world where it's not likely that it'll get leaked. In the Watchmenaverse, there's no Internet. People aren't downloading anything. The only way to see that video is to get a physical copy of it, and that's not easy. Veidt's risk in creating that video may seem ridiculously careless to us, but in the context of the world he lives in, it's really not too crazy. Especially if you have to tell the person who you've manipulated, unwitting, into power that you need him to do some specific things, or not to do certain things.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

I was hoping someone else would recognize good old Buster Scruggs.

I love that grin he flashes after killing the first guy. And when he gets the last one, light shines through the bullet hole.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
A man, a plan, a canal - Panama!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Ersatz posted:

U.S. public education is kind of poo poo, so it's hard to blame them.

I don't think we can blame this one on the general shortcomings of the US public education system. Not this one.

An important part of the whole story here is that there was a concerted effort on behalf of the media of the day, especially but not exclusively the media in Tulsa, to quickly sweep this under the rug, lock the door to the room the rug was in, build a false wall over the door, camouflage the house, build a concrete vault that encased the house, and paint "NOTHING HAPPENED HERE!" in large, friendly letters on the vault. Then they dug up the road leading to the concrete monolith, stopped putting it on maps, and tried really hard to never talk about it again.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down, and whisper "Shouldn't have voted against your own interests lol"

Nice. I was hoping the punchline would be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How is Jeremy Irons considered a lead actor in this?

Because he's Jeremy Fuckin' Irons. He came into this production to make bank and grab nominations... and he's all outta banks.