Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I've been meaning to re-read the graphic novel, it's been a long time since I read it. I really should. Looking forward to this! Hope it's good. I liked the Leftovers quite a bit so I'm cautiously optimistic. I thought the watchmen movie was ok but not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
I liked this. I think it does a good job of playing off the comic without being overly gratuitous and has enough hooks that makes me want to watch more (but I probably would anyway being a fan of the comic, but at least it's good to know it's a pretty nice quality). I wasn't completely blown away but I like the foundation it laid for the future eps. Also like that the good ol' Lindelof whatthefuckness is here in full force.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Arist posted:

Man, that hour flew by

yea I was a bit surprised when it ended when it did, it sure didn't feel like an hour at all

music was on point. that veidt stuff was hilariously macabre. also good to see wire alum getting roles even if it's minor. I like how jubilant that dude was. contrast to the newspaper guy in the graphic novel.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Zmej posted:

lol im getting such bullshit Lost vibes from ep 2. not good folks

that conversation with regina king and the old man gave me some lost vibes too in how the dialogue withheld information but somebody linked earlier how the show was written with an ending to the season and the mysteries set up will be resolved, so I have faith it will end better or at least have answers.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Now you're putting words in my mouth. I want to understand why you guys like it so much especially since I have a totally different reaction to it.

to be fair, lots of people have discussed things they like about it already. personally I like the way it cribs, contrasts and references threads from the graphic novel. as a what if alternate universe, it's fun to play in that sandbox. it's too early for me to say if I think the story is really well told yet or not but I find it interesting so far. I also like the way it's presented in terms of camera work, music and acting.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

KoRMaK posted:

This thread is cool for a brief moment after airing but then sucks for days inbetween tbh

seems about right for a tv iv thread for a show that's airing

DuhSal fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 29, 2019

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This show says that if we give reparations then white people will create a domestic terrorism group and then the cops will start oppressing white people because they seem like they might be adjacent too the 7th kavalry and they have torture chambers where they beat the poo poo out of them.

If it’s explained then it’s only looking through it through the most bad faith take ever on reparations.

I think your whole arguments are in bad faith. You're not really trying to have a discussion but instead poo poo on everything in a really aggressive way. Why even bother watching the show? You can just listen to the OST once the show is done and be happy. Go, be free.

I liked the episode overall. I thought Jean Smart mostly carried it. I thought the dialogue was the weakest of the three episodes, a little too quippy maybe and just sort of dumbed down in some areas. I loved the way the music inter-played with parts of the dialogue. The Veidt scenes are quickly becoming my favourite thing of the episodes. They're absurd and wonderful.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
One minor quibble I had with this ep is them cutting to a previous scene when a character references something from the past. They did it on I think like three different occasions. I get it if it's stuff that happened in previous episodes but they were from the same episode. Could trust the audience a bit more there. Otherwise very entertaining episode.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
I thought the episode was ok/fine. not great a little too exposition heavy but it had some decent moments. I didn't buy their relationship for a chunk of that time but by the end of the ep I thought it was fairly believable.

I want to see laurie and jon interact thou.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Revol posted:

They show us Jon's "moment" when he falls in love with Angela, but we never see her moment. We see her initial doubt, and then we see when she's already in.

yea true. maybe if they showed some of the date to see how she fell for him? I guess she gets a little interest at the bar even if she's skeptical. like there are some hints of amusement.

I liked jon's "moment". it was well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
show ended up just ok. I thought pre dr. manhattan and post dr. manhattan were two very different shows and it was a weird way to pivot the series. still some good things in the series and I enjoyed a lot of it but was left disappointed by the end of it.