Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The show didn’t spell it out yet but yeah i think it would be silly if we all pretend we didn’t see all the press about it beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thom and the Heads posted:

Guess you missed the line from his diary where he mentions "race traitors" lol

That’s not the original line. The 7th Kavalry have changed it from politicians.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I thought Looking Glass asked if they wanted to call the Red Knight in the hospital, but I guess he said 'Red and Night' or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I doubt the boy/old man is meant to be Hooded Justice.

Hooded Justice was a Nazi, for one.

But mainly, he's dead. In Watchmen it's very unsubtly hinted that Comedian killed him, and he was the strongman mentioned. In Before Watchmen (if they use any of that) it's confirmed he's dead although Nite Owl did it mistakenly. Comedian still killed the strongman though.

Arist posted:

Panda is played by Jacob Ming-Trent, who is black.

Yeah, and you can see the bottom part of his face in the helmet anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fritzler posted:

I thought the strongman was a communist sympathizer (or was he just listed as one) while Hooded Justice believed in the Third Reich (before Pearl Harbor specifically) so they likely aren't the same person.

The argument people have made is that he was probably just a real hardcore authoritarian and didn't care so much about the specifics of how you got there. So Nazi, and then Communists post war.

In Before Watchmen they're different people. I don't know why they bothered to do that since of course they were meant to be the same guy. The only reason Moore doesn't confirm it on the page is because the whole thing is told in universe through Mason and the Frontiersman.

Also I completely forgot you can see around Hooded Justice's eyes in his costume, and he's white.

Bass Reeves' outfit before he reveals himself in the movie sure looked a lot like Hooded Justice though. I certainly won't mind if they change it, but I do wonder if they're willing to retcon that much what details we know from the book we can still trust. It doesn't matter really, but it takes some fun out of the discussion.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 21, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

it could very easily be retconned away as the fallibility of human memory (because the memory is from the eyes of Hollis Mason, an white guy, who would probably assume that anyone he doesn't explicitly know the race of is white)

it also helps that Hooded Justice's race is pretty much irrelevant in the graphic novel (especially if people had to go back and look at a sliver of skin shown in one panel and that was all the evidence they had), so if they are just saying "gently caress it we need an old man superhero and we're not gonna make a new one because we want that connective tissue" it's probably just fine. As for him being a nazi sympathizer, is that really so different from a black person being a cop?

edit: honestly it would not surprise me if LGJr was Hooded Justice and this gets lampshaded by Hooded Justice being white in American Hero Story

It's retconning the actual art of the comic and so there's no simple in universe cover.

But it's fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The masks seem like just extensions of the cop masks. Unmasking in police HQ probably isn't a problem.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DickStatkus posted:

Concerning the boy becoming Hooded Justice; a black Hooded Justice being whitewashed runs parallel to Bass Reeves, the lawman in the film at the beginning, being whitewashed into The Lone Ranger irl. This is immediately reinforced by the staging of an all black Oklahoma play. To me this is a very interesting route to take concerning the neoliberal admiration of something like Hamilton where we applaud an all POC cast for performing a white story, which amounts to a modern minstrel show (If it was really subversive Mike Pence wouldn’t be trying to get a ticket). The suggestion that America’s future lies in a dystopian fascist state whether under a conservative or neoliberal regime is very tantalizing and I think if this show swerves the way it’s going to swerve it’s going to break brains from every political persuasion.

Right but the only source for him being white is the actual art of Watchmen, which isn't in-universe material like Under the Hood or the New Frontiersman etc.

In the end though, his role in the original comic is minor and not significant so if it makes a better story, retcon away.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The problem with that is Under the Hood mentions that Captain Metropolis was pretty racist while a different supplemental part reveals he was secretly in a relationship with Hooded Justice.

Yeah there's a lot of things in there that make a black Hooded Justice in the comic unlikely, so hopefully if they do it they acknowledge that stuff and don't just ignore it all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kodo posted:

My wife and I watched this and are completely invested in it, despite neither of us being comic book superhero fans. It helps that we both really enjoyed Lindelof's previous work like Lost and The Leftovers and the way his shows just throw you into these established worlds without much explanation.

So what was the deal with the man in the wheelchair? Was he dead at the end? Did he string up the police chief? We couldn't figure that one out.

He was alive, and you’re not supposed to know quite what’s going on just yet. He’s also the boy from the beginning.

Considering the 7th Kavalry are white supremacists though it’s probably not a simple matter of him being a member.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alan Moore was okay.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

His father? My guess is his dad was one of the white folks in the Tulsa riots (they were a few lingering shots on some of the men) and that’s the motive for his death. This is initially unrelated to the 7K but in trying to make sense of the murder Night is going to get uncover some poo poo.

His dad is wearing the same badge in the photo so he’s the former chief of police.

So he could have been a cop during the riots. It would make him like 50+ when Judd was born but that’s hardly impossible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DuhSal posted:

that conversation with regina king and the old man gave me some lost vibes too in how the dialogue withheld information but somebody linked earlier how the show was written with an ending to the season and the mysteries set up will be resolved, so I have faith it will end better or at least have answers.

This is a character intentionally being an rear end in a top hat and misleading someone, not your usual TV just not talking about things they should be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

it should be noted that the "Watch Over This Boy" note was written on the back of that propaganda paper, so it wouldn't have been him who got it (probably his father) but he definitely could have read it/sympathized with the Germans because of his experience.

Show ended with Beastie Boys, show good.

You gotta figure he read that note a million times though with it being the only thing he has from his father.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

What's the significance of the old man being heat resistance? Just a wierd touch for an old guy with no more taste buds, or is it something from the comic?

Whatever it is, it's not a comic thing. Nobody in the comic has any superpowers except for Dr. Manhattan, and the existence of psychics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why is everyone talking about the horseshoe now? Is there a post credits scene?

...have there been post credits scenes I’ve been missing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

i am the bird posted:

An affectless god who can no longer relate to humans

Might want to read how Watchmen ends again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

Haha. You dumbasses, you buffoons. I loving called it.

They never explained the lube man.

He’s Laurie’s partner, covered in the Peteypedia thing.