Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

R.D. Mangles posted:

Ohio State/Northwestern has been moved to BTN due to Northwestern

Too explicit for standard cable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

They had to move it because they couldn't preempt WWE Smackdown on Fox :lol:

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Ohio State vs. Northwestern was not on BTN already? I thought the whole point of these bullshit Friday games was content for BTN? What the hell channel is baseball on, I thought it was on TBS or something?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Fifty Three posted:

https://twitter.com/SamfordFootball/status/1181297408090750977

This rules. The end bit where he reveals it to his parents is awesome. :unsmith:

Sorry if this is late, I've been out of the country and just saw it.

That movie rules. As does his hat with the Iroquois flag on it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Ohio State vs. Northwestern was not on BTN already? I thought the whole point of these bullshit Friday games was content for BTN? What the hell channel is baseball on, I thought it was on TBS or something?

TBS and FS1 split the post-season, alternating leagues every other year. NL was TBS, AL is FS1.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

They had to move it because they couldn't preempt WWE Smackdown on Fox :lol:

also next week the world series will force smackdown to move to fs1

so screwed up

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Pat Fitzgerald gonna pull something loving voodoo coaching magic you just watch and see

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Pat Fitzgerald gonna pull something loving voodoo coaching magic you just watch and see

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

northwestern already had their inexplicable good game against a good team when they scored 15 on Wisconsin

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

He was the reason they didn't hire him!

Yeah that's the problem! He made a huge mistake.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

northwestern already had their inexplicable good game against a good team when they scored 15 on Wisconsin

Wisconsin game doesn't count because they unleash their Wisconsin Kryptonite every year, especially at their home field

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

If that game was in Evanston we lose, guaranteed. That field is some jinx poo poo.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao at wisconsin fans being shook by ryan field when it's at least 60-40 wisconsin fans, the jinx is that northwestern knows how to shut down a running game with a poo poo quarterback because they do it every goddamn day at practice.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao at wisconsin fans being shook by ryan field when it's at least 60-40 wisconsin fans, the jinx is that northwestern knows how to shut down a running game with a poo poo quarterback because they do it every goddamn day at practice.

NW doesn't have a running game. Or really any game.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I forgot about the Friday night game. What a stupid idea that needs to never happen again.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

The most anybody has scored on Wisconsin this year!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Banner Society's Watch Grid for the week:

Pretty bad week!

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I wanna see ya boy Will Muschamp shock the conference again and beat Florida. I know it ain’t happening, but I’ll be watching for it anyway.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

PostNouveau posted:

Banner Society's Watch Grid for the week:

Pretty bad week!

i see a game worth watching at pretty much every major timeslot, it’s not like a banner week but entertaining football is certainly reasonable

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Declan MacManus posted:

i see a game worth watching at pretty much every major timeslot, it’s not like a banner week but entertaining football is certainly reasonable

Yeah, I shouldn't compare every week to last week

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

Works been discussing who you'd bet on if you had to, Illinois over Wisconsin or northwestern over Ohio State

Consensus is northwestern keeping everything stuck in the mud and winning on and a fluke fumble

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I wanna see ya boy Will Muschamp shock the conference again and beat Florida. I know it ain’t happening, but I’ll be watching for it anyway.

it could happen.

It’s in Columbia, noon start...

I think it will be super clown ball and end with a weird score like 19-15.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think OSU might be a lot less prone to getting mucked up now that Urban isn't there to mash the QB dive button over and over whenever he feels nervous about a game.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Ohio State isn't losing to anyone before getting to the playoffs. I'd be surprised if anyone even came within 14 points, except maybe Wisconsin.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Incredibly confident in mick mccall's run straight into ohio state's defensive line twice and then maybe try to throw it gameplan.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Northwestern's garbage offense worked for a long time because they stumbled into Justin Jackson who you could make a case for as the best player in school history and excelled at dodging guys behind the line of scrimmage for a 3 yard gain enough to keep the defense (which has been very good under Fitzgerald) off the field. Without that and with basically no functioning quarterback, it's a train wreck. Defense is still good enough to win games in the West but they have literally one of the worst offenses in all of college football.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

MourningView posted:

I think OSU might be a lot less prone to getting mucked up now that Urban isn't there to mash the QB dive button over and over whenever he feels nervous about a game.

Fields would be dead by now if Urban were still here. For as revolutionary as Utah/Florida Meyer was always perceived (or even early OSU Meyer), people really underestimated how conservative of an offense he actually ran. Like, watching him try to work with pocket QBs during his final years at Florida and OSU just proves that he cannot design a run game that doesn't orient around at least the option. We functionally ran the Single-Wing whenever a game was close because Urban's weird lizard brain equates close games with "we'll run the QB because he has an extra blocker and numbers" even when those QBs are JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, and Dwayne Haskins whose running ranges from "Meh" to "C3P0" and the ENTIRE stadium knows it's coming. The infamous Michigan State in driving rain game from 2015 was the platonic example of it, because he gave Zeke like 10 carries and Barrett 25 because "extra blockers" and probably cost that team a title as a result. He just can't get over the concept of getting an extra blocker, even if misdirection or surprise and using a better athlete would create more potential upside on the play. It works super well when you have like Braxton Miller or Tim Tebow doing freakish running things and getting into plus-yardage faster with speed or size, but my god is it brutal and stupid when you're using a guy like JT Barrett post-ankle surgery who runs like a 4.8 and isn't particularly shifty or powerful.

Like, we used to give Tressel poo poo for everything being about ball control, field position, and fundamentals, but the real difference between Urban and Tressel was just a matter of recruiting and which runner was the security blanket. Tressel's recruiting lagged Meyer's and relied too much on RBs being healthy for 30-35 touches a game when our QB play/receivers were bad. Meyer's recruiting owned but frequently ignored his all-world skill talent in favor of the slowest non-lineman on the field being the one to run with the ball most often because you're too worried about the time it'll take the QB to get the ball out. It sort of minimizes the potential of the offense when everything is about making that skill talent block 90% of the time and grinding out short yardage using your RB as a fulcrum/quasi-FB.The string of WRs to come through Columbus under Urban was insane, but short of a Herman/Day caliber playcaller, he'll always regress into bad QB running and the screen/cross game and enable the worst tendencies of a Tim Beck type coordinator. It's exactly what happened when he had Addazio running things in Gainesville. It's the Lou Holtz in him that just sees passing as too risky unless it's the quick game.

Day on the other hand appears to have no real commitment to any play so far beyond, "lol calling mesh again" which is refreshing since stopping Mesh requires significantly more execution out of a defense than stopping QB Power/Dive/Counter. Urban used to build gameplans around the base offense being the QB run/option and refused to accept that teams could actually have run fits that made that work which usually equated to a hilarious loss every year against VT/Sparty/Iowa when a team got the run fits correct and could get just enough points to pull it out. Day's gameplanning seems to vary more week-to-week and cycles more stuff through based on the opponent, which in my mind says the loss will eventually come when we're too aggressive against a team we shouldn't be and the turnover bug hits.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
those sdsu helmets are cool but can you tell what the gently caress they are on broadcast?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah the big loss with Urban is as a program builder/recruiter and probably won't show up for a year or two if it ever does (the current QB room beyond Fields is, uh, concerning). Purely as a gameday coach it's not really a huge loss, Day is a way better offensive tactician. Urban deserves credit for being one of the first people to recognize the potential of the read option but he wasn't really some brilliant offensive mind beyond that, he was just really really really good at all the CEO-type stuff.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
They have some highly rated QB recruits coming in over the next couple of years.

They may not be Justin Fields, but not many will be.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What exactly is mesh

Also I still think illinois has less of a chance against Wisconsin than northwestern with their two foot tall grass vs Ohio State

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Regnevelc posted:

They have some highly rated QB recruits coming in over the next couple of years.

At least you think so. For all we know he might set up shop in Los Angeles and steal all of your recruits and good assistants.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

LLCoolJD posted:

At least you think so. For all we know he might set up shop in Los Angeles and steal all of your recruits and good assistants.

I don't think Urban Meyer and Ryan Day are going to target the same type of QB.

Assistants may be an issue I'd imagine for Day, but it's not like there isn't a shortage of assistants who wouldn't want Ohio State on their resume.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Yeah the big loss with Urban is as a program builder/recruiter and probably won't show up for a year or two if it ever does (the current QB room beyond Fields is, uh, concerning). Purely as a gameday coach it's not really a huge loss, Day is a way better offensive tactician. Urban deserves credit for being one of the first people to recognize the potential of the read option but he wasn't really some brilliant offensive mind beyond that, he was just really really really good at all the CEO-type stuff.

Yeah it’s pretty well-work territory that Gregg Brandon, Mike Sanford and Dan Mullen pretty much constructed that offense. But Meyer will forever get the credit. He coached scared in 2009 with an all-timer of a team and it showed in all the ways y’all are discussing.

Dudes probably a top-5 or -10 coach all time but he has flaws for sure.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

mastershakeman posted:

What exactly is mesh
Full dissection is here, but the basic concept is two receivers on opposite sides of the formation run to each other, usually around 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. Ideally, the receivers are so close they can low-five. It's creates a lot of traffic in an already heavily populated area for the defense to sort though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Coco13 posted:

Full dissection is here, but the basic concept is two receivers on opposite sides of the formation run to each other, usually around 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. Ideally, the receivers are so close they can low-five. It's creates a lot of traffic in an already heavily populated area for the defense to sort though.

Ohhhh, so it's a euphemism for offensive pass interference

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

What exactly is mesh

like 75% of Mike Leach's offense

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Ohhhh, so it's a euphemism for offensive pass interference

Nah it’s not a pick play or anything like that. Defenders have to risk running into their line or jamming up linebackers.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Regnevelc posted:

They may not be Justin Fields, but not many will be.

Oklahoma has proved that you can win with a constant stream of QB transfers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Regnevelc posted:

I don't think Urban Meyer and Ryan Day are going to target the same type of QB.

Assistants may be an issue I'd imagine for Day, but it's not like there isn't a shortage of assistants who wouldn't want Ohio State on their resume.

Day reeeeally prefers passers with mobility to scramble bros. Fields is anomalous in terms of tool set, but Jack Miller has good hype around him; the second guy they’re trying to pull out of Cali is another elite 11 guy; their 2021 guy is a top 2-4 recruit at the position and based out of PA. Urban is a hell of a goddamn recruiter, but Day has been the guy personally recruiting these QBs for the past few years and that’s going to be a tough mountain for anyone to climb with his track record right now, especially since USC’s big feeders are going to be west coast where it’s always been a lot harder for him to pull guys before.

Meanwhile, Urban’s platonic ideal of a qb is basically just a guy who can endlessly get 4 yards per play while making the proper faces.

Also, it’s reeeeally not like Urban was making good assistant hires at the end. Like, he brought in Day and Studrawa....and also Schiano and Billy Davis. He holds on to shitbirds like Zach Smith. Dude was weirdly protective of some bad hires to a fault.

This could all go by the wayside, but Day may pull this out off of sheer inertia from maximizing what was on campus until it starts replicating itself again.