Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I am okay with the loss to LSU. Sucks, they had chances to win, but it was definitely closer than the two TDs would indicate.

Although I went through this “I’m okay with this loss” stage with our last several coaches so... we’ll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I came away from the OU game being very impressed with CeeDee Lamb and Lincoln Riley, and less do with Jalen Hurd, whose questionable decision-making kept Texas in the game.

Also, wish Texas would do more straight zone runs.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

colachute posted:

I am okay with the loss to LSU. Sucks, they had chances to win, but it was definitely closer than the two TDs would indicate.

Although I went through this “I’m okay with this loss” stage with our last several coaches so... we’ll see.

Nah there is a huge difference between Mullen and the rest. For starters, he’s now made three quarterbacks look reasonably competent when we’ve had trouble getting even the mildest success at the position for over a decade. Outside of a handful of games from will grier I guess.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t want to talk about Michigan State so I’ll let my dad do it

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So after marinating on the UGA/SCar game, I have a few thoughts. First is that similarly to 2015, anyone that watched UGA and looked at them from a non-homer point of view knew that our offense was going to get us in trouble at some point this season. I said last night that holding a team to 17 is nearly always good enough to win, and yet here we are. The offense is a conundrum. I know that Jim Cheney was much lamented, but he worked better with what we had than Coley seems to be able to do-which is something that Miami fans said would happen. Part of this is on Smart, of course. He promoted Coley to keep him around maybe because he felt like he could be a good OC, but especially because Coley can recruit like crazy.

Talent alone wont get you wins, which again, we saw yesterday. I want to draw a parallel to LSU, because I really feel that with the exact same athletes we already have on the roster, we could run a system like LSU has and dominate. There is this whole impose our will in the trenches, which is well and good, but when we run up the middle for 2 yards, run up the middle for 1 yard, and suddenly are 3rd and 7, it gets us off track. UGA has thrived the last 3 seasons for getting us in a 2nd and short situation, and we got straight exposed. Fromm can be a baller, 1 of the picks yesterday wasn't totally on him, 1 was questionable, and 1 was for sure on him. But I really think that going forward, we do need someone who is at least a threat to be a willing runner, again looking at LSU as the blueprint. Hopefully Kirby takes a long look in the mirror about what and how he wants to win games and the scheme, philosophy and folks he needs to get us there. There were also some really terrible game day decisions, like not letting Blankenship go for a 52 yard FG to win and then the next play getting a procedure penalty to go out of range.

As a (not so) fun stat, UGA had 468 yards of total offense compared to Carolina's 297. Let that sink in. Long drives with absolutely nothing to show for on offense.

As it stands, I could see Florida going either way depending on how we come out, and Auburn is who the hell knows because of the blood curse that they used to build their stadium. So 9-3 is possible and maybe even likely.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Them Dawgs is hell don't they

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

In 2OT, Coley drew up a run up the middle on 2nd and 10. It's already insulting that Kirby's plan with all his resources was to just promote a dude to learn being an OC on the job, but it's even more insulting that the guy is whipping out stuff that even fans drunk on the couch know is a stupid idea.

I'm dead serious this is an 8-4 team unless poo poo gets straight. I don't trust this offense against anyone other than Tech. That includes Kentucky next week. South Carolina literally didn't need to gain a single yard after the first quarter (and truth be told, they didn't really!) to win with a converted WR at QB because UGA kept taking a rail gun to its own junk.

I can't get over Coley waiting 39 seconds to get the play in with only a couple minutes left and UGA down 7, with the clock just oozing away. Why?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Oh, and for those still doing the "Richt did THIS after this many games, Kirby did THAT after this many games," this is Kirby's UGA/UT '04, only this SCAR team is orders of magnitude crappier. Just, blech.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
My life would be so much better if I'd been born in, like, Oklahoma

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I also wonder why we don’t run tempo more. Even adjusting for bad play calling, we are a whole lot better when we run hurry up. Even if it’s hurry up to the line and then just drain clock or whatever but going fast we actually work well.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

I also wonder why we don’t run tempo more. Even adjusting for bad play calling, we are a whole lot better when we run hurry up. Even if it’s hurry up to the line and then just drain clock or whatever but going fast we actually work well.

Also, Jake Fromm likes running tempo!!!!!!. But no. Fun must be punished. We must exert our will. Even if it takes the fans and the team completely out of the game.

I blame every turnover on our stupid ploddy pace. It makes the team less mentally sharp, so: mistakes.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I really wonder what the Rivals / 247 posters are melting down about bud damned if I’m gonna pay to see that.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Rank the number one team in the SEC East you cowards

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Guys, Minnesota could actually end up in the Big 10 championship game.

They absolutely shut down Nebraska on defense and that offense is legit pretty good. Minnesota has Rutgers next week and if they beat Maryland the next week - certainly doable - they'll be undefeated against Penn State.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

They absolutely shut down Nebraska on defense and that offense is legit pretty good. Minnesota has Rutgers next week and if they beat Maryland the next week - certainly doable - they'll be undefeated against Penn State.

lol they aren't going to beat Wisconsin and wasn't Nebraska's QB out?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

lol they aren't going to beat Wisconsin and wasn't Nebraska's QB out?

Correct on both counts. They need Wisconsin to lose next week and to stumble against...Iowa?

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.
As a South Carolina fan whatever I watched yesterday was very dumb and beautiful at the same time. Kept waiting for us to lose, thought for sure it would happen when Hillinski went down but lol.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

So, obviously Minnesota won't end up in Indy because they are ugly and smell like concentrated butt but here's what's really hilarious. You look at the Big 10 and say 'Minnesota could win their division this year' and it seems exponentially more probable than 'Michigan could win their division this year.'

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

KKKLIP ART posted:

So after marinating on the UGA/SCar game, I have a few thoughts. First is that similarly to 2015, anyone that watched UGA and looked at them from a non-homer point of view knew that our offense was going to get us in trouble at some point this season. I said last night that holding a team to 17 is nearly always good enough to win, and yet here we are. The offense is a conundrum. I know that Jim Cheney was much lamented, but he worked better with what we had than Coley seems to be able to do-which is something that Miami fans said would happen. Part of this is on Smart, of course. He promoted Coley to keep him around maybe because he felt like he could be a good OC, but especially because Coley can recruit like crazy.

Talent alone wont get you wins, which again, we saw yesterday. I want to draw a parallel to LSU, because I really feel that with the exact same athletes we already have on the roster, we could run a system like LSU has and dominate. There is this whole impose our will in the trenches, which is well and good, but when we run up the middle for 2 yards, run up the middle for 1 yard, and suddenly are 3rd and 7, it gets us off track. UGA has thrived the last 3 seasons for getting us in a 2nd and short situation, and we got straight exposed. Fromm can be a baller, 1 of the picks yesterday wasn't totally on him, 1 was questionable, and 1 was for sure on him. But I really think that going forward, we do need someone who is at least a threat to be a willing runner, again looking at LSU as the blueprint. Hopefully Kirby takes a long look in the mirror about what and how he wants to win games and the scheme, philosophy and folks he needs to get us there. There were also some really terrible game day decisions, like not letting Blankenship go for a 52 yard FG to win and then the next play getting a procedure penalty to go out of range.

As a (not so) fun stat, UGA had 468 yards of total offense compared to Carolina's 297. Let that sink in. Long drives with absolutely nothing to show for on offense.

As it stands, I could see Florida going either way depending on how we come out, and Auburn is who the hell knows because of the blood curse that they used to build their stadium. So 9-3 is possible and maybe even likely.

How weird is this season that people WANT to emulate LSU’s offense. Never thought I’d see the day.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I mean, when you get it right, you get it right. Y’all made some new hires on that side of the ball, no?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

MourningView posted:

My life would be so much better if I'd been born in, like, Oklahoma

Friend-o, you're gonna' want to rethink this one.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

KKKLIP ART posted:

I mean, when you get it right, you get it right. Y’all made some new hires on that side of the ball, no?

Chiefly, Joe Brady from the Saints who is the passing game coordinator now at LSU.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Isn't LSU doing the Clemson thing where they outspend everyone else on assistant coaches? It seems to be working.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Georgia sucks lmao

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

LLCoolJD posted:

Isn't LSU doing the Clemson thing where they outspend everyone else on assistant coaches? It seems to be working.

Yeah, they're only behind OSU, Clemson, Auburn, and A&M in asst. coach salary totals.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LLCoolJD posted:

Aranda makes $2.5 a year which makes him the highest paid assistant in the country I believe. On the offensive side they aren't there yet but if the offense keeps playing like this Joe Brady is gonna get a big drat raise.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Chiefly, Joe Brady from the Saints who is the passing game coordinator now at LSU.

Back a dump truck full of money at him this offseason because he is going to get an OC job quickly

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The best possible theoretical outcome of the Orgeron experience, where he gets solid coordinators, then lets them do their thing while getting out of the way and eating gumbo and crushing Dixie Light Steve Austin-style, is exactly what LSU's getting. Kudos.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Friend-o, you're gonna' want to rethink this one.

Nope he's right

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU did a thing and won a come from behind game.

Firmly in first place in the West.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just glanced at FBS standings and Herm being 5-1 in the Pac 12 South is just :3:

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

D.N. Nation posted:

The best possible theoretical outcome of the Orgeron experience, where he gets solid coordinators, then lets them do their thing while getting out of the way and eating gumbo and crushing Dixie Light Steve Austin-style, is exactly what LSU's getting. Kudos.

Head Coach as CEO worked for FSU 20-30 years ago, I'm surprised more teams don't try it more often.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Yeah, they're only behind OSU, Clemson, Auburn, and A&M in asst. coach salary totals.

it’s weird to think about it given who he is and the image he puts forth but coach o makes a ton of sense as a candidate for ceo coach

phenomenal recruiter, beloved by the fanbase, beloved by the players, more than happy to be hands off in the areas he doesn’t belong in

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Achernar posted:

Head Coach as CEO worked for FSU 20-30 years ago, I'm surprised more teams don't try it more often.

It works until the head coach is entrenched and all the good assistants get better jobs until all you have left are the head coaches golfing buddies.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Correct on both counts. They need Wisconsin to lose next week and to stumble against...Iowa?

can you get negative points in a game? It seems in play for us

D.N. Nation posted:

LSU with a modern well designed offense is exactly as terrifying as everyone assumed it would be.

I gotta think someone is gonna swoop in and try to get Brady from them as early as this off-season though

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 13, 2019

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Spacemonkey57 posted:

It works until the head coach is entrenched and all the good assistants get better jobs until all you have left are the head coaches golfing buddies.

Yeah that's the usual arc, seems to be working at Clemson so far though. (I honestly don't know how involved Dabo is with playcalling)

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I wanted to throw my remote at the tv when Riley tried to ice Dicker the kicker 3 times in a row at the end of the 2nd quarter. gently caress Texas but Im glad he made every 49 yard kick.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Penn State @ Ohio State is a loss and before the season, I could have seen Penn State losing up to two of @Iowa @MSU and home at Michigan, but now the Minnesota road trip looks like a much bigger challenge than MSU. There's always some crazy bullshit about playing and losing to MSU constantly, but I just can't see it this year. Minnesota hasn't really played anyone with a heartbeat. As the Minnesota fan said, they'll be 8-0 by the time Penn State comes to town, but I could see them finishing 8-4.

Really looking forward to this Penn State defense against Michigan at home in a White Out.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Very cool that Miami fans warned everybody about Coley and nobody listened.

Not to excuse Kirby for his sins but how do you keep running the same four plays with THAT offense

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Achernar posted:

Yeah that's the usual arc, seems to be working at Clemson so far though. (I honestly don't know how involved Dabo is with playcalling)

He almost lost his job before he decided to relinquish control of the offense. He also made a killer hire in Chad Morris.