Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Starting to feel a little better about that Wisconsin loss, not gonna lie. Maybe we'll have an actually good Wisconsin-Ohio State Big Ten title game for a change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Komet posted:

Questions:

How long can the Big Ten continue with its current conference alignment? Maybe Minnesota will surprise Wisconsin and win the west (doubt it), but there's no real competition in the west.

The east has the best team in the league in Ohio State, then Penn State and Michigan (we'll see who #2 is after Saturday), and a Michigan State team that has real problems this year, but has been great in the recent past. Then they also have two dogshit teams in Maryland and Rutgers. Something has to give soon in order for the divisions to remain competitive and engaging. I think the Big Ten expected Nebraska to turn the corner by now, but they haven't. Will they ever?

I still think Maryland has upside in football (don't know about Locksley long term) and is competitive in other sports, and there's still significant revenue in the DMV for the Maryland fanbase. However, it's hard to see Rutgers as anything other than a routine 0-9 doormat. Indiana was bad for a long time and other teams like Illinois and Purdue have had some bad stints in recent years, but Rutgers has no history in the conference and they don't have much of a fanbase. How long can the Big Ten continue with this Rutgers charade? I'd trade Rutgers for WVU in a heart beat. Or VT. But I think WVU would gladly leave the Big XII to play more regional games.

It's about TV viewers and not actual competition hth

Rutgers is as close as the Big Ten can get to the NYC market without it looking like a blatant grab for viewership.