Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Browns would've won the Raiders and Seahawks game if they'd been called correctly to. Doesn't mean coaches and players didn't suck. How is it that hard to accept that both these things can be true?

At this rate I want the Lions to get jobbed the rest of the season for the tantrums

thats true and the Raiders would have had a chance at Bosa so who really won here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

AsInHowe posted:

If Cam were white, the call would've been made.

That's likely part of it, too, sadly.

I remember Aaron Rodgers getting mugged a few times before the Super Bowl win and thinking it was bullshit the he didn't get a flag. After the Super Bowl, though... things were definitely a bit different.

So, yeah, race is a factor, age is a factor, super-star status is a factor - ain't none of that poo poo in a rulebook. And if there's so many refs in the league, and every ref is somehow on the same page about it? That's a fuckin' conspiracy, man. :tinfoil:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

solution: run the A-11 so that all 11 players on the offense are equally the quarterback

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

Ha, I missed this

https://twitter.com/StatsGuyDaniel/status/1183591411796660224

Rivers god love him (I say that in the most southern way) has always been a cryer.

Ooof that ah

That's not a good look, Phil

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Don't have 12 men on the field, Packers settle for a field goal, Lions win despite incompetence

https://twitter.com/johnbreech/status/1183915271091900416

Both don't be stupid and refs suck are true

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Don't have 12 men on the field, Packers settle for a field goal, Lions win despite incompetence

https://twitter.com/johnbreech/status/1183915271091900416

Both don't be stupid and refs suck are true

You're trying, I'll give you that.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If a team has ever played less than perfectly then it doesn't matter how badly they get screwed by terrible refs, it's their fault for not being perfect. And since no team is perfect it doesn't matter if refs ever call anything correctly.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I really don't get how yall are stuck on this being an entirely binary thing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Saying "refs are bad, but" lets the NFL off the hook. I'm tired of the NFL getting let off the hook for this.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I really don't get how yall are stuck on this being an entirely binary thing.

"If you didn't want to lose the game due to disastrously bad calls you should have played better" is an incredibly dumb response because every team should play better all the time, and is, in fact, trying to. The Packers should have played better so they didn't need two phantom penalties to steal a win.

What content do you think you're adding when people complain that the refs suck and it affects their enjoyment of the game and you respond with "maybe the team should have won by 40, ever think of that?!"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Nfl stinks

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

MJeff posted:

Saying "refs are bad, but" lets the NFL off the hook. I'm tired of the NFL getting let off the hook for this.

It doesn't. Yes the refs can improve and so can the people on the field. That ended up being a game changing mistake and so were the blown calls.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

"If you didn't want to lose the game due to disastrously bad calls you should have played better" is an incredibly dumb response because every team should play better all the time, and is, in fact, trying to. The Packers should have played better so they didn't need two phantom penalties to steal a win.

What content do you think you're adding when people complain that the refs suck and it affects their enjoyment of the game and you respond with "maybe the team should have won by 40, ever think of that?!"

An echo chamber of "refs suck" is enjoyable and good content?

"The Packers stole a win" yes it's the packers fault, it's anyone else's fault for everything. You're saying I expect teams to be perfect while complaining the refs aren't. Do you see the problem? Do you think any ref outside Riveron is trying to actively suck at their job? It must be super rad for them to get death threats from angry super fans. This is all extremely illuminating, you should really have a radio show.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

An echo chamber of "refs suck" is enjoyable and good content?

"The Packers stole a win" yes it's the packers fault, it's anyone else's fault for everything. You're saying I expect teams to be perfect while complaining the refs aren't. Do you see the problem? Do you think any ref outside Riveron is trying to actively suck at their job? It must be super rad for them to get death threats from angry super fans. This is all extremely illuminating, you should really have a radio show.

When a player fucks up they don't get to go back and look at the tape and try again. The NFL has plenty of time and money and technology to make sure the refs get it right the majority of then time, they've just decided they don't care enough to do it.

I don't think anyone deserves death threats over a game, but I also don't really understand what that has to do with anything? Likewise, why would I care if it's intentional or not? They are bad, and I want them to be better, the end.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 15, 2019

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Cool then we'd be complaining about officials taking all this time with reviews on things that aren't even reviewable currently. The officials on the field aren't actively trying to gently caress this up for us. Look at the league office and Riveron (who handles what actually gets reviewed) for the fixes. Hell the rules committee (which includes coaches) set up the PI review crap that everyone knew was going to go bad and has managed to go bad in ways nobody saw coming.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Remember when the replacement refs denied the Packers a win?

Tate caught the ball :hawksin:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MJeff posted:

You're trying, I'll give you that.

i'm imagining in my head that one guy standing back for the lions arguing vociferously to the ref that he counted 11 guys on the field for a solid minute before realizing that he forgot to count himself

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cavauro posted:

Nfl stinks

:yeah:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Listen, if you're not winning by 30 and scoring a touchdown on every drive, you deserve to lose if the refs start systematically loving you. How hard is this to understand?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cavauro posted:

Nfl stinks

Mucho agreed friend

nah
Mar 16, 2009

It rules that there's only ever been one referee fired during a season for incompetence.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nah posted:

It rules that there's only ever been one referee fired during a season for incompetence.

And that refs name? Roger Goodell

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The refs will always suck rear end, I'm afraid the best we can hope for is they suck faster, and the PI review cluster gently caress is the opposite of that so it made things even worse.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Cool then we'd be complaining about officials taking all this time with reviews on things that aren't even reviewable currently. The officials on the field aren't actively trying to gently caress this up for us. Look at the league office and Riveron (who handles what actually gets reviewed) for the fixes. Hell the rules committee (which includes coaches) set up the PI review crap that everyone knew was going to go bad and has managed to go bad in ways nobody saw coming.

Like I said, special. :downsgun:

The Defense literally did their job and stopped Rodgers, twice. Every time the refs bailed them out, ffs they called the exact same bullshit, phantom call twice. They might as well have just said that sacking Rodgers was itself a foul. Cherry on top, they let a Lions receiver literally get clotheslined on a play that would have put Detroit in FG range to seal the game. That was, of course, a no call.

To look at that and say, "should have played better" is so monumentally stupid it defies reason. I have this crazy idea that teams are supposed to play well enough to beat their opponents, which Detroit did. Not some arbitrary standard of, "You didn't outplay them enough to be allowed to win"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sean10mm posted:

The refs will always suck rear end, I'm afraid the best we can hope for is they suck faster, and the PI review cluster gently caress is the opposite of that so it made things even worse.

if you're at home and can see they hosed up a call before the next play the NFL could do it just as quickly if they wanted to.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Mister Perky posted:

pretty crazy finish to Detroit Vs. Green Bay

a white guy commits an infraction against a black guy.

law enforcement penalizes the black guy for the incident.

then the team that actually violated the rules wins.

That's way too On The Nose for 2019 America.

(throw in the fact that the guy's never been called for Illegal Hands to the face in his entire career and they call it on him twice in decisive situations tonight and :lol: )

drat dude...you’re right the NFL is the exact same as police brutality...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Can anyone give me a rundown of the bad calls? I spent the evening studying and working on a paper instead of watching football.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Can anyone give me a rundown of the bad calls? I spent the evening studying and working on a paper instead of watching football.

the refs (incorrectly) flagged flowers for illegal hands to the face twice on third down stops. one eventually led to a TD and the other led to the game-winning FG. on the first one rodgers had been sacked for an 11 yard loss on 3rd and 10. second one was 3rd and 4 and put them in FG range and allowed them to burn off the rest of the clock.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 15, 2019

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Remember that time one of the NFL's marquee teams had a bad call cost them a game they would go on to lose in overtime and the team bitched so much the nfl changed a rule for them

weird what happens when poo poo happens to non browns or lions teams

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Groovelord Neato posted:

if you're at home and can see they hosed up a call before the next play the NFL could do it just as quickly if they wanted to.

The time it takes to go from camera to satellite truck to space to dish to screen is delayed enough that the ability to get the call in before the next play is hampered. The home audience is yelling about calls that came from a minute past, no one can operate at their perceived speed.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Two illegal hands to the face calls on Detroit on drive killing plays by the defense. Neither actually involved a hand to the face but the GB tackle sold them well. Actually I take that back, he sold the first one well but the second one was just called for no reason.

There was also a clear missed DPI on Green Bay that would have set the Lions up for a nearly game sealing field goal at the least. Detroit didn't challenge but if they did they wouldn't have overturned it anyway I'm sure.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Groovelord Neato posted:

the refs (incorrectly) flagged flowers for illegal hands to the face twice on third down stops. one eventually led to a TD and the other led to the game-winning FG. on the first one rodgers had been sacked for an 11 yard loss on 3rd and 10. second one was 3rd and 4 and put them in FG range and allowed them to burn off the rest of the clock.

I just watched a video of them and jesus that is bad.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Groovelord Neato posted:

Packers were in fg range for the second. Would have been long and left Lions with time on the clock however.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Lions had 12 guys on the field that gave the Packers 4 or 7 points but I don't think Crosby misses the FG so really if anybody on the Lions could count they probably would have won.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Groovelord Neato posted:

To be fair, I think they were already in FG range. It did allow them to drain the clock though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Leon Einstein posted:

To be fair, I think they were already in FG range. It did allow them to drain the clock though.

Yeah, and Williams realizing the lions were letting him get the TD and slid instead was great.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But that said, the saying "never be in a position where the refs decide the game" exists for a reason. Both things can be true:

1. The refs made horrible calls
2. The lions decided to let off the gas faster getting off to a blistering start

The one thing that does drive me nuts is that if you change either one, people assume the game plays out the same.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Maybe this wouldn't happen if the Lions just played better football.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1184098705282158598

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The first illegal hands to face directly led to a Packers TD the very next play instead of it being 4th down and either a punt or a field goal. Now you could say that "well you don't know what might have happened after that play.". You are correct we don't know because the Lions and the fans were robbed of the chance to see how differently the game would have played out with a correct no penalty call.

The second illegal hands to the face was still bad but not as much because it made the field goal at the end easier.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

Maybe this wouldn't happen if the Lions just played better football.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1184098705282158598

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that is incredible.

Rad Valtar posted:

The second illegal hands to the face was still bad but not as much because it made the field goal at the end easier.

and left no time on the clock.