Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

facialimpediment posted:

The Detroit Free Press is the major liberal-leaning paper in the area, versus The Detroit News. The Free Press had this to say about the game:

https://twitter.com/freep/status/1183954945248288768?s=19

The Detroit News, the conservative-leaning paper, probably had their business writer blaming black people and the minimum wage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MJeff posted:

How about 3+ bad calls?

What about six bad calls?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

LabyaMynora posted:

Absolutely is. Cam Newton said so. He got hit and asked why no flag, and Ed "Guns" Hochuli told him, "you ain't old enough for that flag." I don't think for a second that Cam made that up. It's too odd and specific.

Like, a hit on a QB is either legal or illegal. There's no clause about age that has poo poo to do with it.

Sneeze on Tom Brady, you get a flag. Maul Cam Newton, and it's cool.

If Cam were white, the call would've been made.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think what makes the game feel particularly egregious is that it wasn't just one call, and the refs effectively helped Green Bay and hurt Detroit on four back-to-back drives leading right into the end of the game: The overturn of the Kerryon catch and fumble, the first hands to the face, the no-call on DPI, and the second hands to the face that ended the game. All of these calls (Or no-calls) came on 3rd down, in the 4th, and each played a significant part in the game's outcome.

Should the Lions have played better? Absolutely. Only getting 3 field goals off of 3 turnovers was simply killer, and the 12 men on the field that turned a field goal into a touchdown was utterly inexcusable. But what strikes me is that in spite of the dumb mistakes, the Lions were still in a position to win the game, and probably would have, if not for the utterly atrocious officiating in the 4th quarter. That's what makes the result so hard to swallow, and why so many people are frustrated—because Detroit was effectively cheated out of a chance to fairly win (Or lose, because I'll always be upfront that the Lions losing is to be expected in all circumstances) the game because of it.

Don't forget that the Lions only touchdown came on a call where referees that couldn't see where the ball was at were enthusiastically calling for a turnover-on-downs. At the party I was at, some guys were saying the fix was in then and the touchdown will get overturned.