Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Leon Einstein posted:

To be fair, I think they were already in FG range. It did allow them to drain the clock though.

Yeah, and Williams realizing the lions were letting him get the TD and slid instead was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But that said, the saying "never be in a position where the refs decide the game" exists for a reason. Both things can be true:

1. The refs made horrible calls
2. The lions decided to let off the gas faster getting off to a blistering start

The one thing that does drive me nuts is that if you change either one, people assume the game plays out the same.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rad Valtar posted:

The first illegal hands to face directly led to a Packers TD the very next play instead of it being 4th down and either a punt or a field goal. Now you could say that "well you don't know what might have happened after that play.". You are correct we don't know because the Lions and the fans were robbed of the chance to see how differently the game would have played out with a correct no penalty call.

The second illegal hands to the face was still bad but not as much because it made the field goal at the end easier.

More critically, it allowed the packers to run the clock out.

Give me a few minutes, I need to check something.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, an 18 run baseball game this season (just picked a random game) took 3:33 (213 minutes) to complete. There were 323 pitches in the game (no clue on pick off attempts), or a rate of about a pitch every 40 seconds (this usually holds true for most games, but :effort:)

The average NFL game is 3:12, but can vary (couldn't find the time for last night's). Assuming that was the actual length, 124 plays were run. A whopping 93 seconds***** on average happens between plays. Now, to be fair, this is stupidly inaccurate since in the middle of a drive, the play clock is 40 seconds. But once you factor in commercial breaks and halftime, the pace is slower than baseball.

Would longer, slower feeling games be worth it for more reviews? You decide. And yes, small sample sizes etc.

Also the NFL's mobile website sucks.

E: if you go by 60m/ plays, it comes out to a much more realistic a play every 29 seconds

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 15, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot Diggity! posted:

I mean, it's Florio, so that's a given.

Lost in the ref mess is LaFleur called a really good game given the lack of receivers and all of the drops. Been very impressed by his playcalling.

Yeah, he seems to have found his footing now, which is good. Also halftime adjustments, finally!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot Diggity! posted:

We should have known that the reffing was going to be terrible when the Lions got a TD on 4th and goal, with one ref signalling for time, one signalling for Packers ball, and one signalling for TD.

They ruled TD because it seems the refs have been instructed to call the result of a play that's automatically reviewable and then review it.

That said, I don't think the lions would have won that challenge if it was called short. I personally didn't see it cross on replay but who knows.