Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Basically like an urban bureau of land management

federal government owns large amounts of public space in urban areas, leases it out to developers, artists, nonprofits and other stuff at a low rate like the blm does

expand welive, lease apartments at low rates and give free rent to homeless in buildings designed to assist homeless with things like mental health and addiction

it's not perfect since i thought it up like 15 minutes ago but i felt compelled to create a discussion about it

basically we need to spread this idea so bernie can put it in his platform since he's not going to abolish private property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
have u ever worked in a co-working space op and if so why wold you want that to be govt policy

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Gazpacho posted:

have u ever worked in a co-working space op and if so why wold you want that to be govt policy

Not a coworking space,

just the government owning large amount of property in cities and leasing individual spaces to people or entities

i guess not like wework since you won't having to interact with other people

but still if you're not gonna abolish private property at least make the property cheap

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Shoot outs when small business tyrants allow their free range interns to graze on bureau land.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
okay but you have to rotate your avatar first

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i still have no idea what wework is

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

nationalise my dick and balls

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Homeless Friend posted:

techbro landlords who have managed to #disrupt the landlord business into being wildly unprofitable

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

techbro landlords who have managed to #disrupt the landlord business into being wildly unprofitable

But but, IWG plc is profitable and valued themselves at only 3 billion, WeWork valued themselves at 47 billion, surely the tech bro of a real estate company knows something we don't

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Amazing how the lovely business model never raised any redflags before on the same pundits who now poke holes in it. This whole startup craze just reeks of an worse dotcom bubble but hey, I'm supposed to nod along when my own employee says everything is fine and we won't close down lol.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

It's subleasing offices, but painted in that silicon valley jargon like it's a new idea that's going to radically change society, and a bunch of dumb investors put way too much money into it and it might cause the next recession.

Also the CEO is a crazy person.

Wall Street Journal posted:

A few weeks after Mr. Neumann fired 7% of the staff in 2016, he somberly addressed the issue at an evening all-hands meeting at headquarters, telling attendees the move was tough but necessary to cut costs, and the company would be better because of it.

Then employees carrying trays of plastic shot glasses filled with tequila came into the room, followed by toasts and drinks.

Soon after, Darryl McDaniels of hip-hop group Run-DMC entered the room, embraced Mr. Neumann and played a set for the staff. Workers danced to the 1980s hit “It’s Tricky” as the tequila trays made more rounds; some others, still focused on the firings, say they were stunned and confused.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

Amazing how the lovely business model never raised any redflags before on the same pundits who now poke holes in it. This whole startup craze just reeks of an worse dotcom bubble but hey, I'm supposed to nod along when my own employee says everything is fine and we won't close down lol.
if this were truly a bubble then it would have popped by now. all of these startups are just excuses for money to change hands with the most useless poo poo imaginable as a catalyst, which is what the economy and stock market is running on right now anyway. this is also why there won't be a recession

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

if this were truly a bubble then it would have popped by now. all of these startups are just excuses for money to change hands with the most useless poo poo imaginable as a catalyst, which is what the economy and stock market is running on right now anyway. this is also why there won't be a recession

Lmao sure

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

get that OUT of my face posted:

why wouldn't it be a bubble just because money is exchanging? especially with companies like wework where some investors got special shares that let them recoup the investment in any scenario
i don't know the intricacies of the stock market but that seems to me not sustainable if every company will keep tanking unless pumped with more cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

"if this were truly a bubble then it would have popped by now"