Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Current game status: Day 5, deadline at 00:00 GMT.

Here are the vote counts with yesterday's discards (because discards aren't revealed on D4).

Retro Futurist - 4 votes (Anomalous Amalgam D1, rhjamiz D1, SalTheBard D1, Sal the Bard D2, Anomalous Amalgam D3, SalTheBard) - Assassin openly discarded
SalTheBard - 3 votes (jon joe D1, Anomalous Amalgam D2, jon joe) - Dictator + Bourgeoisie openly discarded
jon joe - 3 votes (razorrozar D1, Retro Futurist D2, Retro Futurist D3, rhjamiz D3, razorrozar) - no open discarded roles
razorrozar - 2 vote (jon joe D2, rhjamiz) - no open discarded roles
rhjamiz - 2 vote (Retro Futurist D1, rhjamiz D2, razorrozar D2, SalTheBard D3, jon joe D3, Anomalous Amalgam) - Villager openly discarded
Anomalous Amalgam - 2 vote (razorrozar D3, Retro Futurist)- Jester + Villager openly discarded

The total discarded roles are:
5x Dictator
5x Jester
5x Bishop
1x Revolutionary
4x Assassin
6x Bourgeoisie
4x Villager

Hi goons.

This is a weird Mafia/Resistance/Survivor adjacent game published only in Japan as far as I know, taught to me via Discord by a random goon. It has a player count of "minimum 4", my totally non-informed intuition says that around 8 would be nice, so this will be an 8 player game.

This is a game wherein every player starts with 7 potential win-conditions and 0 votes. In the course of 5 days, players discard win-cons until they go down to 1, and gain or lose votes (votes persist from day to day). At the end of the game, some people win and some people lose. It is possible for everyone to lose.

First, the basic gameplay loop. At first there is a day, wherein the players discuss things in this thread (strictly no out of thread comms allowed). When played in real time there should be a strict limit to how long discussion should last. I'm not sure such a limit would work well within forum parameters, so we will keep to a not extreme 24 hours for a game-day.

After a day is compete, all players simultaneously choose whether they will "vote up" someone else or "vote down" anyone (read: give a vote or remove one; people can't be brought below zero).
Then all downers simultaneously reveal who they will be voting down, and discard a wincon (or two, depending on game day) face up
Then all uppers simultaneously reveal who they will be voting up, and discard a wincon (or two, depending on game day) "face down", except that all the discarded wincons are shuffled and revealed.

On day 1 each player discards 2 roles, and cannot vote down.
On day 2 discard 1.
On day 3 discard 2.
On day 4 discard 1 and no reveals.
On day 5 people reveal up vs. down and vote target simultaneously.

That's it for game mechanics. Now on to the wincons:

The dictator wins by getting the most votes at the end, except if a bishop, a revolutionary, or an assassin has also attained their wincon
The jesters win as a group if a dictator won.
The bishops win as a group if the difference between the highest and lowest vote players is 1 or less except if the assassin has also attained their wincon
The revolutionaries win as a group if the lowest and 2nd lowest vote-counts are both revolutionaries and non-zero except if the bishops or assassin have attained their wincon
The assassin wins if a dictator, bishop, or revolutionary has attained their wincon and the assassin has zero votes.
The bourgeoisie win as a group if there is a bourg ranked 2nd, and another bourg with a non-zero amount of votes, and the 1st ranked isn't a bourg themselves.
Finally, the villagers win if no non-villager player wins (read: no actual player at the table; maybe the bishop wincon is fulfilled but if no-one actually picked the bishop wincon, then villagers win).

All ties are broken in "each player's favour". If a bourg is tied for most votes with someone else, they are counted as being 2nd, in favour of their wincon...

With the exception of the Dictator. The Dictator must Dictate alone.

Finally, if all players "win" no-one wins.

Please be willing to use Discord for comms if you sign up.

This is likely to get messy. Embrace the chaos.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

sure okay

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
*rubs hands together*

Yes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sounds weird I'm in

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Important clarification: all ties are broken in "each player's favour". If a bourg is tied for most votes with someone else, they are counted as being 2nd, in favour of their wincon...

With the exception of the Dictator. The Dictator must Dictate alone.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 14, 2019

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Put it here

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Oh cheers. It's done now. I just assumed Mafia people would be "the crowd" for this, and when they didn't sign up I reckoned I'd just let it float away.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

:colbert: I want to be a dictator

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I’m down

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Sounds cool

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
count me in!

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

I will need to pull out, alas- but this seems fun, I'll still want to observe

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I can roll with 5 people. Who knows, the game might even be better this way, I have no clue :v: ..

We're starting in ~ 24 hours with whoever is signed up at the time.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
*rubs hands contemplatively*

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
i am totally prepared to be horrendously bad at this game

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Well, pretenders, off we go with the 5 of you. You may commence in-game discussions. Deadline in approximately 24h, at exactly half past.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Once this day is over I'll make a fancy-ish table with votes and revealed cards in the OP. For now you're all obviously at zero votes and 7 cards in hand.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Am I winning?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
is there going to be a group discord or should we just pm you

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I'm not gonna make fuss with a game this small. Y'all can PM me, or Discord message Dancer#7015 . I'll make sure to check both.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
sent you a fr!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hello friends and also friends.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
EDIT:

gently caress sorry didn't realize game had already started

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 26, 2019

Dancer
May 23, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

EDIT:

gently caress sorry didn't realize game had already started

Jump right in buddy :) . You get to be a dictator too!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
You can't see it but I'm discarding the dictator this first turn. Promise. Everyone please vote me up.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I feel rather silly for not mentioning this in the first place: Private/Out of thread communication is strictly forbidden.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Let the people have this one. this actually seems feasible.

Who needs absolute control or social stratification

Join me in ditching dictators and the bourgeoisie

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Dancer posted:

Jump right in buddy :) . You get to be a dictator too!

Thanks! I hope I can understand the rules well enough to be effective!

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
down with hierarchy, proles rise up

vote me first citizen and i will bring us fully automated luxury gay space communism

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

razorrozar posted:

down with hierarchy, proles rise up

vote me first citizen and i will bring us fully automated luxury gay space communism

but can you see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I'd like to clarify an ambiguity (that I myself had read wrong the first time through)!

Dancer posted:

After a day is compete, all players simultaneously choose whether they will "vote up" someone else or "vote down" anyone (read: give a vote or remove one; people can't be brought below zero).
Then all downers simultaneously reveal who they will be voting down, and discard a wincon (or two, depending on game day) face up
Then all uppers simultaneously reveal who they will be voting up, and discard a wincon (or two, depending on game day) "face down", except that all the discarded wincons are shuffled and revealed.

What this means: When night comes, players all simultaneously lock what kind of vote they will do, Up or Down.
Then, after seeing this information, the down voters simultaneously select who to vote, and what roles to discard. These are revealed.
Then the up voters select votes and roles, which are shuffled and revealed as a batch.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Aaaaand another thing: because of all those simultaneous decision points, I will request that, whenever able, you submit your decisions ahead of time. Of course, if getting certain pieces of information is important to your strategy, then by all means do take the time you need. But if you know what you're going to do before it's the time to do it, please let me know :) .

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Y’all should vote me dictator. I’d be a cool one, promise.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SalTheBard posted:

Thanks! I hope I can understand the rules well enough to be effective!

No stay down here at my level

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
the day started about 45 minutes ago

get out of bed, comrades, the revolution waits for no man, woman, or NB

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Revolution is it? I'm with it in upvotes only like so many other would be revolutionaries. Can civilians just not turn the tide with minimal effort?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So are we playing yet? I haven't read the rules and I expect someone to hold my hand and explain everything every step of the way

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
then you have come to the right place, welcome to communism

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Without private comms I consider today even more useless that day 1 of mafia except by being charming enough to get votes (if that's your plan) or offputting enough to not get votes (if that's your plan). I mean I guess you can try to influence what people pick to discard, too, but the actual ability to do that seems...limited, to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I think maybe some of you read my posts wrong, because actually the day ends right about now :v: .

Because of the misunderstanding (and because, as Jon Joe says, day 1 isn't really that meaningful) I'm entirely willing to be flexible about this. The day will end when all 6 of you have sent me a vote. Reminder: Today you can only vote up, so go ahead and tell me both who you will vote for, and what 2 roles you will discard.