Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I've been playing this on my PS5: https://store.steampowered.com/app/729000/Wytchwood/

It's a charming crafting/trading adventure game where you play a witch trying to collect the souls of a bunch of fairy tale assholes. It's like... you need to craft a transformation potion to capture the bear in the forest, so you try to go into his tent to find his most precious keepsake, but then you need an item to distract the guard which takes ingredients from the graveyard and the town, which in turn might require further items to collect. It's fairly short and I'm at 11/12 animal souls. Any longer and it would get too repetitive. . . I'm already groaning a bit at the ingredients I still need to finish. I saved the best for last though because I believe I am about to cook the three little pigs, who had previously fed one of their workers to the regular pigs at their farm after he got too old to work. Clearly made with a lot of love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
It’s on gamepass. I downloaded it with the intention of trying it out later, will post some impressions afterwards. Seems to have good critics reviews.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

It’s on gamepass. I downloaded it with the intention of trying it out later, will post some impressions afterwards. Seems to have good critics reviews.

Played for about 45 minutes, seems pretty cool. Mix up of top down Zelda and Diablo (and honestly, mobile games) with a neat gimmick. You can turn into different creatures with different abilities -- the rat can poison and eat people, the archer can hit people in a line -- that come with with a constantly increasing quest list. As quests complete, you level up the individual abilities of the creature + overall stats and unlock new quests. There's the possibility of good character variety here. I unlocked the horse who can only kick behind him but does good damage and knocks people into walls. I figure the game wants you to switch for different occasions since some will be better aoe vs single target and for example you could switch to the knight if low on health since he does more damage at low %s.

I can see it getting repetitive, but I'll definitely go back to it. Good gamepass game anyway.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
When you turn the game on, it shows an Xbox controller and says “controller recommended”.

That said, it’s just cardinal directions, 4 abilities (which sometimes charge) and direction lock. I can’t imagine it being that bad on a keyboard if you’re used to using one to control games anyway.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I played the first Luminous Avenger. As a fan of inti creates and mega man games, I found it only OK. Level designs were weak and while the dashing system was cool in theory, you barely ever needed to use it. Also it was very very easy until an extreme difficulty spike at the end. All that said, there was definitely a kernel of a great game in there, so I'm interested if the sequel improves.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I saw this Mega-Man X with a gimmick game mentioned in the mega man thread and it looks neat:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1514380/COGEN_Sword_of_Rewind__COGEN/

quote:

Defy Death by Rewinding Time!
Any hit you take is a death sentence in this side-scrolling 2D action game. But fear not! You may lack the HP to weather a beating, but you've got the Ouroboros System on your side. This futuristic technology kicks in the instant death embraces you and allows you to rewind up to 3 seconds of time. Slip up and wish you could take it back? Want to play around and experiment? Easy, just rewind the clock! Hone your skills through trial and error, and triumph over diabolical traps and legions of fearsome foes!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
FYI Shredders is on gamepass. I’m gonna try it but I already started playing Tunic (also gamepass) for a bit of an Elden Ring break.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Huh, I've been seeing a bunch of praise for this and had it on my interest list, that's not good to hear.

I like it ok but it shoehorned in a poor version of Souls combat when regular old Zelda combat would have been fine. Like I don’t think you’re supposed to find the shortcut that thecluckmeme mentioned until after you get the shield, it’s just that you die so easy until you get it so it feels bad. I say this as someone who likes difficult games, Tunic’s combat is just rear end. People in the Xbox thread mentioned you can turn on infinite health/stamina but that doesn’t sound fun either.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Sab Sabbington posted:

From a page ago, but I'm getting close to the end of Tunic and while it's fairly difficult, once you do have the shield and grasp some of the mechanics like sprinting it's pretty forgiving. I can't decide if I love or want to roll my eyes about the game's diegetic tutorial notebook tells you about certain mechanics that are available from the beginning, but not obvious--I lean towards loving it, though. Similarly: Use the poo poo out of bombs. I'm not sure how the mechanic works exactly but when you respawn/sit at a bonfire you get a few of them back for free, and firecrackers will straight up kill big groups of dudes.

One of the other things I'd recommend: use online guides, the game is just made for that poo poo, and I think in a good way. It's a kind of nostalgic thing that I love, and getting a hint in the right direction doesn't feel like cheating.

I will echo the first part... I complained Tunic's combat was rear end in this thread and while I still think they would have been better off going with Zelda combat instead of a rigid version of Souls combat, the fighting is way more fun after you get your toolset. I just beat the arena on my third try and felt good about it.

As for online guides... I've been avoiding anything but in-game hints and nothing has stumped me too much yet. The game likes to throw an obvious goal at you and then refuse to tell you what achieving that goal actually does, but thinking it over and flipping through the book always produces the answer.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

There's a RPS review for it: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/biota-review

Sounds neat but I'm weirdly particular about metriodvanias and always want to play them on handheld or console not PC.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Had a few games on my wishlist exit EA/become available today.

I've been looking forward to Teardown for a while: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1167630/Teardown/

It has overwhelmingly positive reviews. Fully destructive terrain, physics, emergent gameplay, etc. Has a campaign now.

Samurai Bringer: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1851280/Samurai_Bringer/

Cute little roguelite, doesn't have much for reviews yet. I'll give it a shot if I'm not too tired of the genre yet.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I saw that pop on my wishlist too. As a big ogre battle fan I would love to hear impressions.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Bear and Breakfast
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1136370/Bear_and_Breakfast/

Saw a cute preview on this a while ago.

quote:

Bear and Breakfast is a laid-back management adventure game where you play as a well-meaning bear trying to run a B+B in the woods. Hank and his friends find an abandoned shack and, equipped with their teenage ingenuity, turn it into a money-making bed and breakfast scheme for unsuspecting tourists.

Currently at 9 positive reviews

And, the people who made Autonauts made a tower defense version.

Autonauts vs Piratenauts
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1907720/Autonauts_vs_Piratebots/

quote:

Automate a farming business to earn gold and fund your defence campaign. Use industrious Workerbots, your ingenuity and all the natural resources you can harness to craft the tools and machinery needed to run a bustling settlement while commanding a successful defence campaign to conquer the invading Piratebots.

2 positive reviews

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Soulstice:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1602080/Soulstice/

quote:

Briar and Lute are two sisters who have been reborn as a Chimera. The transformation has granted Briar superhuman strength and resilience, while Lute, sacrificed to bind her soul to her sister’s, has become a shade with mystical powers. Voiced by Stefanie Joosten (Metal Gear Solid 5), Briar and Lute are sent on a mission to reclaim a city in ruins that has been ravaged by the Wraiths, only to discover that the Order they belong to has a far more complex plan in mind.

Despite the name, it's a DMC/Bayonetta homage. Looks cool. Mostly positive reviews where the bad ones are complaining about the camera.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Wow, Scorn finally came out. It’s also on gamepass.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
The first one was pretty good so I have high hopes.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Came to post that. It has amazing reviews across the board. I intend to pick up today.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Here's a couple I'm looking at:

The Last Spell: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1105670/The_Last_Spell/

quote:

In a desperate move to end all wars that have been rampaging the world for decades, the mages provoked The Cataclysm. Massive balls of pure magic obliterated nearly everything. A strange purple mist propagated everywhere, with hordes of bloodthirsty mutants coming at night.

Our only hope is now to banish all magic from this accursed world by casting The Last Spell, requiring several days of uninterrupted incantation whilst a few strained Heroes try to protect those damned mages.

The Last Spell is a tactical RPG with roguelite elements in which you have to defend a city against hordes of deadly enemies.

During daytime, prepare your Heroes, carefully choose how to rebuild your Haven and position your defenses. Over the night, exterminate all the monsters coming at your walls with a large range of weapons and skills. Then heal, level up, and repeat until the Magic Seal is broken.

And just saw this on RPS: Clash Artifacts of Chaos: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1430680/Clash_Artifacts_of_Chaos/

quote:

You play as Pseudo, a master of martial arts who lives as a recluse in the strange land of Zenozoik. When you cross paths with the Boy, a small creature whose mysterious powers have attracted the attention of Gemini, the Mistress of the Artifacts, you decide to protect him, unaware that much greater forces are involved.

EXPLORE ZENOZOIK
Drawing upon both surreal and punk fantasy influences, the world and civilisations of Zenozoik are brimming with fascinating characters, creatures and landscapes. Roam this intriguing land and discover its paths, inhabitants and ancient secrets.

CRUSH YOUR OPPONENTS
Your fists and speed are your greatest weapons. Attack, dodge, stun, block, counter a parry to land a special attack, switch to first-person view to perform unique techniques: each time, it's up to you to seize the occasion to achieve victory and avoid mistakes that could quickly prove fatal.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Lozareth posted:

I played a buttload of The Last Spell early in its Early Access and it's a great game with a lot to unlock, lots of choices, and very satisfying to win. They've added a ton since other games pulled me away and I need to go back and see what's new.

I picked it up and it immediately sucked me in for hours. Wonderful mash up of genres I really like, the character/town building is surprisingly deep and the art/music are great.

I got to the boss on my first run and then beat it on my 2nd (though there’s other towns and increasing difficulty modifiers to apply) and the balance felt right so I’m assuming they fixed the EA issues people complained about in the reviews w/r/t the game requiring you to grind metaprogression. Runs are LONG, game said my winning run on the first level was over 2.5 hours.

One big thing I appreciate is that usually in the ‘hold the line vs a horde’ style of game you’re dominating until everything goes to hell and then you’re screwed. Here I’ve thought I was screwed 3 nights in a row but hung on by the skin of my teeth right up to the middle of my city. And now on my first attempt of the 2nd level, one of my heroes died 3 nights in but I recruited another and am still chugging along.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I never played Midnight Suns either (it's on my list) but if you're remotely a fan of similar genres, The Last Spell is great. The only caveat is that games are insanely long and need to be spread over multiple sessions... more like starting a civ game than a slay the spire or hades run. I lost on the boss of the 2nd level (which is TWELVE days, not seven like the first one) and my timer was just shy of 7 hours. For the later waves, between production and battle phases I was spending 45min-hour on just one day/night. I just needed 1 more goddamn turn to win too. The boss's final phase spawned outside of melee range and of course my sole melee trucker was the one closest.

The game has a ton of weapons and they all have different movesets so there's a lot of learning what works, which for me means going out of my comfort zone and learning new moves instead of making half or more of my team use the shortbow. I've learned how good spear, powerstaff and to some extent 1h sword (finnicky) are, but scepter seemed like crap.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

DoubleT2172 posted:

I seriously cannot get the powerstaff to feel like it's worth using. Not sure what I'm doing wrong

For downsides it's extremely mana intensive and unless you get lucky with spell range, it basically makes your guy a melee fighter (meaning you need mitigation or ways to run away), but it has 2 big aoes (especially the triangle shaped one) and an aoe stun(!), meaning you can blow up or cc entire waves. Always have an escape plan. Since you know you will always be aoe debuffing, you can get that one stat (opportunity, I think it's called) that makes you do more damage to debuffed enemies. In later waves, when you have teleports set up, a guy with a powerstaff can lock down a turn by itself while your other guys are off dealing with bigger threats.

I started a new game and got powerstaff/sword/rifle. First time w/ rifle, seems like a good mid-late game tool but highly meh early. My first recruit is a 2nd powerstaff (I thought it was a spear!) and every wave is a positional nightmare but I'm getting by ok with a greedy build order. My biggest issue is I just need to learn all the weapons so I can go "hmm, yes, I will switch to this druid staff or 2h axe now."

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Had this one on my list because it's based on the Borges story of the same name: The Library of Babel

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1822030/The_Library_of_Babel/

quote:

Inspired by Jorge Luis Borges’ short story of the same name, The Library of Babel welcomes you to a world 20,000 years after the extinction of humanity. The world is now run by advanced robots, who know very little about their mythical creators. All is well and orderly in a society run by robots, until the discovery of a library that contains everything that has, is, and will ever be written— the perfect harbinger of chaos.

You play as Ludovik, a Seeker, sent to investigate a murder case in Babylon. When a state of emergency is suddenly declared, Ludovik finds himself in increasingly dangerous territory as he follows the murderer’s trail and unravels the mystery behind the Library’s sudden lockdown.

Featuring a world full of vast jungles, abandoned temples, and plentiful cybernetic inhabitants to interact with, The Library of Babel promises both a thrilling adventure full of danger and intrigue, and a thoughtful, atmospheric tale of how we consider infinity.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Had this on my list, apparently it was a kickstarter from 2019. Bloodborne meets Zelda? Hunt the Night: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1649740/Hunt_the_Night/

quote:

Hunt the Night is a retro-style action-adventure game that combines a fast, skilled gameplay with dark fantasy lore. Play as Vesper, a virtuous member of 'The Stalkers,' and explore the vast world of Medhram, a place filled with ruins and horrors. Go through dungeons full of gruesome enemies, fight challenging bosses, and use your arsenal of weapons and dark powers to take back the Night.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Stranded: Alien Dawn came out of EA, which makes it probably the first 3d Rimworld-esque game I've been following that actually released.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1324130/Stranded_Alien_Dawn/

quote:

Brave a new world in Stranded: Alien Dawn, a planet survival sim placing the fate of a small marooned group in your hands. Forge your story through compelling and immersive strategic gameplay as you make vital decisions to protect your survivors from starvation, disease, extreme weather and more. From basic camps to fortified bases, create a stronghold to defend the survivors from attacks by alien creatures that roam an expansive and deadly alien world. Experience an epic and unpredictable journey.

Discover an expansive, living 3D world with remarkable flora and fauna
Manage your survivors’ needs, health and happiness
Construct and evolve your own unique base, and devise cunning defences to protect it and survivors from being attacked
Plant, grow, harvest and hunt down food. Stockpile useful resources and salvage material from fallen space debris
Research technologies to expand your horizons.
Provide heat, light, devices for relaxation and more to keep survivors on top of their game, ready to face the next challenge.
React to fluctuating weather and environmental events

Very Positive reviews. I wanna pick it up but playing way too many games right now already.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
So many games from my wishlist have come out in the past couple days it's breaking my brain and I can't think about trying to play them all. I'm especially curious about dungeon drafters impressions though.

One not mentioned (I don't think?) so far is Mail Time: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1607240/Mail_Time/

quote:

Mail Time is a relaxing, cottagecore adventure set in a peaceful forest, far, far away. It's your first day on the job as a newly minted Mail Scout. Equipped with a mushroom hat, a pack full of letters, and unbridled enthusiasm, it's time to deliver letters and packages across the Grumblewood Grove.

Their recipients eagerly await the sight of your mushroom hat, so don't tarry! Run, jump, glide, and make your way across the forest to deliver parcels and joy to the cute critters that inhabit these woods.

That's right. It's Mail Time!

First steam review made me laugh:

quote:

It's Death Stranding, but nothing hurts and everyone is happy.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Came to post Miasma Chronicles since it's made by the devs of Mutant Year Zero, a great and I think underrated game. Looks pretty good.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I see Batboy was already posted, I'm probably gonna pick it up, love that style.

Here's another throwback to a different era. Protodroid DeLTA: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1276740/Protodroid_DeLTA/

quote:

Draw upon DeLTA’s extraordinary dexterity and distinctive arsenal to navigate challenging stages. Jump and shoot in 3D gameplay designed to channel the fast and fluid feel of 2D classics.

(switches between 3d and 2d)

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Tagichatn posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1230530/Atlas_Fallen/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGQfhGubWns

Mixed reviews, 48% positive :negative:

I was looking forward to this one since it's by the devs of The Surge 1 & 2 but looks like it's not great. It's unfortunate it's also coming out at the same time as Baldur's Gate 3, Armored Core, the Cyberpunk expansion and Starfield later. I'll keep it on my wishlist and hope for improvement.

RPS has an informative review on this: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/atlas-fallen-review

Seems like a cheap sale game rather a complete garbage disaster. I think I got both Surge 1 and 2 for like 5-8$ each, so their games def go on big sales eventually.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
couple of games on my list came out of EA today.

Black Skylands:

quote:

Prepare to embark on a remarkable journey as Eva, a skilled and valiant young marshal, fighting to protect her people from the invading Falcons and Swarm. Take command of your own airship and embark on an expansive journey through a world of boundless skies. Gather resources to craft powerful weapons, upgrade your ship to new heights, unearth ancient secrets, and engage in thrilling battles beneath your ship’s sails.

Mostly Positive. Intrigued by the review saying it's Skies of Acadia mixed with Hotline Miami

and

Cantata: https://store.steampowered.com/app/690370/Cantata/

quote:

Combining elements from Grand Strategy titles with the small-scale skirmishes of classic Tactics games, in Cantata you’ll start with a small base of operations and crucial few units, and then bring your grand strategic vision to life by building new structures, managing your regions, and expanding your army. As your presence on the planet Shoal grows you’ll be keeping a close eye on not only the empire you’ve built but also growing threats across the map.

Mostly Positive. Some sort of 4X / Tactics mash-up.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Shadow Gambit (just posted, twice) is by the same devs that did Shadow Tactics and Desperadoes 3, both fantastic games. It’s the same genre too. I’ll definitely be picking it up. Might try console this time and see how I manage without being able to queue multiple moves.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Wizard with a Gun: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150530/Wizard_with_a_Gun/

quote:

Wizard with a Gun is an online cooperative sandbox survival game set in a magical wilderness wrought with dangerous creatures and arcane mysteries. Embark on a journey alone or with a friend to collect, craft, and outfit your wizard however you see fit as you explore the unknown. Carefully design weapons, bullets, and furnishings for your tower home but try not to burn it all down as the magic you wield escalates beyond your control...

Looks neat, one of the steam reviews calls it a fast paced Don't Starve Together

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
World of Horror had its console release pushed back until next week. Oct 26th. Bummer I was gonna dig into it this weekend!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Yeah, Jusant and Lunacid both look excellent. Hoping the latter makes its way to consoles too.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Jusant isn’t realistic at all. There’s actual fantasy elements. You climb clearly defined paths sort of like assassins creed 2 tombs.

Cool game but I’m at the end and wanted it to be 2-3x as long. Make me believe that tower goes on forever through overlapping civilizations.

Edit: cool to see star ocean is getting such good reviews, never played that one.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 2, 2023

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Stronghold remake came out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2140020/Stronghold_Definitive_Edition/

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
The Last Faith: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1274600/The_Last_Faith/

quote:

A dark, gothic fusion of metroidvania and soulslike. The Last Faith thrives on merciless and precise combat with a huge range of weapons, firearms, and custom executions at your disposal. Let nothing stand in your way.

art looks cool as hell

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Small Saga: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1320140/Small_Saga/

quote:

Beneath the streets of London, an angry mouse seeks revenge against the god who stole his tail. An epic RPG of miniature proportions!

(it's a turn based rpg)

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I picked up Granblue Relink (it released a few days early on PSN) and I am enjoying it. It's like JRPG Monster Hunter.

And I played the demo for Howl and liked it quite a bit. Into the Breach would be the closest comparison but it's not really that, somewhere between a tactical game and a puzzle game. I'll pick that up eventually.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I was trying to figure out what that Arzette game is and apparently it’s a loving homage to the Zelda CD-i games. Haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Play posted:

It is extremely weird, and the art is truly amazing, but I did think the combat wasn't great and it seemed to have a lot of essentially empty rooms. Plenty of set dressing but nothing to interact with. Just going by the demo though, maybe full release is different.

This is how I feel after about 3 hours. It looks amazing, the weird atmosphere is great. But the level design is basic and the combat pedestrian. There’s no platforming to speak of. The skill tree is lame.

Edit: the living network is p cool tho

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 14, 2024