Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I've played through about half of this in two sittings; it's fantastic with only occasional conveyance issues mostly tied to intended routes in grappling belt sections, or combat scenarios intended for its easy to forget "rage mode". The second boss is one big goony brilliant spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

This could be a great game, but I...I've just saved my daughter so many times now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I really don't know that the geiger environment/setting lends itself well to active gameplay.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

haldolium posted:

A Little to the Left looks like a great game if you like to clean and sort stuff without actually moving.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256902681/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1661418972

Dunno if it's worth the price they're asking though

Word of warning on this one for completionists: the devs did something with their "special puzzles" and they're not currently completeable. They also did one of those "puzzle of the day" setups, with 365 puzzles...and you can't access ones you missed until they come round again...and the achievements are for doing up to 300 of them in a row.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

They turned elevator action into Metal Slug/Neo Contra?

Always was- this appears to be some sort of remake/rerelease of the 90s arcade game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Very weird to see Williams back involved with things, they were just cruising on their yacht(s) with their infinite money, and had fully separated from games.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Pizza Tower has had a bunch of development videos on youtube; it's heavily inspired by Wario-style movement, and comes across as highly expansive and polished. The animations are great and the soundtrack kicks serious rear end.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kenlon posted:

I just bought this and then refunded it after trying out the tutorial mission - there's an invert-Y camera option, but no invert-X, and I know from long experience that my brain simply will not wrap itself around that.

drat shame - if that was added, I'd rebuy it in a heartbeat, because it looks like the best sort of insanity.

Ask the dev, they're likely to add it. edit: I've brought the request to their attention.

The dev should make a new trailer showcasing quotes from some of the negative reviews.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 8, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I like the concept of Anemoiapolis, but that looks extremely low budget and undercooked.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I mean, the book is labeled "volume 1", so maybe the permutation structure will be further expanded upon.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

BETON BRUTAL ($6.99, currently discounted to $5.59) is a newly released game focused entirely on first person platforming up the interior of a massive, hand-designed, overgrown vertical shaft constructed from brutalist architecture. There's no deathtraps, no damage, and also no checkpoints; while your position is saved if you quit, a fall to the bottom is functionally a full restart, and to get some sense of scale, there's speedrun achievements for clearing the game in 15, 30, 45 and 60 minutes- and I find the prospect of clearing it in an hour impossibly daunting, though it starts quite easy and the controls are responsive and fluid.

The game is beautiful and has very nice ambient music and effects, perfect for some zoning out and jumping (though I advise disabling some of the dynamic FoV options). It's also relentlessly, perfectly fair: there are warning signs at tricky points, you can pause your run to enter a "practice mode" that lets you fly around and try out jumps up to a height just above your current best progress, and you can also enter a "scouting" mode at any time to fly around your current position and identify the path forward. There are also definitely shortcuts available; I've found a couple that give me a sense of how a 15 minute speedrun of this gargantuan game might be possible.

I'm a seasoned trickjumper and I've made it to 260 meters of height (with no end in sight) in about an hour. I'm curious how other goons would do.

18 reviews, 100% positive.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 5, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

As a brief follow-up on BETON BRUTAL:

1. The map's 500 meters tall
2. There's technically a weird sort of horror thing that can happen if you deliberately stare straight down to the bottom of the area or toward the top for a long time, but it's so hard to trigger you can just ignore it
3. I really want the dev to release their tools and let people make more of this stuff.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Can you spoil this? I'm curious what it is but won't be buying the game anytime soon.

I've not experienced it, but at high vertigo levels a sort of shade figure can appear somewhere near you. Deliberately running into it makes spooky sounds and light changes for a temporary period.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ymgve posted:

Someone else had already asked for it in the Steam forums, so I added +1 there. But for now I refunded it.

pesty13480 posted:

I've never felt so seen in my life.

I go for refund any time I can't invert my Y.

It's now added.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

cyberpolka's not dead- a thread for discovering interesting new genres

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm seeking a refund on this one because it required agreeing to ludicrously overreaching data exposure in a privacy agreement before I could play.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Big ol caveat here: the game's great, but it currently has a severe bug where save files aren't properly saving gamestate, resulting in resurrecting entire waves of enemies, etc. Once this gets patched though, it's a great buy-better and deeper than you'd imagine.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

As someone who didn't play the first, can you explain in more detail?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Future Video GamesUK posted:

Oh this looks neat, thank you!

For similar reasons I recommend John Walker's Buried Treasure.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jusant is pretty close to the game I've been fantasizing about existing for a decade, I can't wait to try it. Lunacid and Peaks of Yore are both products I've been following for a long time too. Heckuva week.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I need to give the caveat that Peaks of Yore is way more execution/speedrun bait than I expected, and it became too difficult for me about five levels into the "fundamentals" tier. Also the nature of the inputs caused me to immediately put about a year's wear into my mouse.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Oenis posted:

As someone who plays https://sherlock.sharov.io/ daily in my coffee break (and boring meetings), this was an immediate buy from me. It has a couple new conditions that I'm not familiar with, that's great. My only complaint so far is that a lot of the items in the stages look very similar, which makes it hard to assign names to them in my head. Also, I wish there was an undo button. But the presentation is cute and cleaning up the stages as you progress is pretty satisfying.

I gave the linked a shot and it appears bugged beyond functioning on the hard difficulty- I rapidly found that the game isn't processing three-item adjacency rules somehow.

edit: actually it doesn't recognize a whole bunch of rules....then it crashed.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 9, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I bounced off of Logic Town after a short period because the hardest part of it is telling the seemingly intentionally similar object symbols apart. Trying to internalize which of four different identically colored coffee pastries (or eight similarly colored and interchangeably posed ducks) is which across multiple columnar and rule transpositions is not fun. The sharov.io game, though it was borked for me, does have highly contrasting items.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have no idea why the ratings are only Positive. This game does exactly what it says on the tin.

It's probably because the clues aren't very well communicated compared with other similar games, and a lot of the scenarios use objects that are relatively hard to tell apart.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MrSuicideSheep is a longstanding youtube channel that seems to consist entirely of electronica music, presumably with licensing, etc. I've never been clear on what its business model was.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The creator does appear to have a lot of media outreach and PR work put into the piece, and it's if nothing else reflective of how an established library can exploit the current platform structure to its relative competitive advantage.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Finally, a game to give the pope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

hyphz posted:

I am shocked to see that 4D Golf has a _level editor_. How does that even work?

3D editor plus a slider tied to triggers, presumably.