Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Upsidads posted:

Goon made???

That would be me! It's pretty close to having the full set of SRD monsters added--I think we're just missing a few CR20+ish ones, which are mostly dragons. I'm working on getting randomly rolled PCs in as well, but work was brutal this last few months so it's an ongoing process

treat posted:

make that $26 per month. I wanna see my Sickly Innkeeper fight kobolds

Nice! Thank you so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

That's actually a big design thing I've been thinking about through the game's development! It would be really cool to eventually let player (possibly pet owner?) actions have some impact on the fight--like, that's a really fun thing to do. It's also true that the game is more fun when it's more unpredictable--I've had to resist the urge to make smart monsters, because if they did play optimally they'd play the same way every time which would make matches boring way faster. I'd love to add a thing that lets players meddle somewhat, but I need to make sure it's rare enough that it adds to the chaos instead of flattening it out.

Stuff like letting a pet owner give one command per match or letting a donator give one command per tournament or something is on the table, potentially.

Also, I should probably mention that this game isn't actually a fresh release (although I super appreciate being featured in this thread). We launched late 2020, and actually had a heyday for a bit where it was pretty consistently 500ish players on at any given moment--which was actually a big problem, because people found us before I got accounts in, so when 4chan found out about us we had no way to ban people for being racist and transphobic. There was a mad scramble to get mod tools in, and since then the community's been really wonderful--although it's definitely gotten more and more sleepy over time. All the new players from this thread has been really motivating

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I've been playing this a bit for the last week and it's totally not Vampire Survivors, and pretty fun. You have no direct attacks, only minions, and they move and do their own thing, so you have to prioritize between avoiding enemies, moving with your minions for protection, and going after loot. At the point where I've kind of mastered the first level, so will see how it ramps up in the later ones.

My favorite Vampire Survivors clone so far is Spirit Hunters, if anyone hasn't tried that give it a shot. Like VS, it doesn't need the mouse for gameplay, which is great since some days I just can't deal with one.

The dev for Boneraisers, Caiysware, is also super prolific and makes a lot of really interesting small games. Spirits Abyss is probably my favorite, but they've also done stuff like Skelly Selest and Straimium Immortaly. Their games tend to be pretty weird, stylized, and opaque, but also really fun if you take the time to dive into them.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oooh. Okay, I'm going to go back and pick it up again. I sucked at driving that drat sailship so much.

Yeah, I loved the idea of the game so much but the ratio of linguistics to busywork was too much for me and I bounced maybe an hour and a half in. It really didn't help how snide everyone in the setting was for some reason, either. Does the busywork die down deeper into the game?

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Can confirm. I'm at GDC this week and just had a game dev I was taking to bring Slice and Dice up as a game they're obsessed with semi-unprompted.