Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Ha, this is exactly me, and I know I'll still buy it soon and go "oh that one goon was right" in 3 hours of gameplay.

I really wish I liked survival sims. I enjoyed submarina a lot (even though I didn't finish it) but I can't play any other for more than a few minutes.

So far what I've seen of Valheim is very promising but easy to miss if you're not looking for it.

1. You can repair items for free at your workbench. This means that you only ever need to create an item once. (Unless you die in a really awkward place to get your corpse back)

2. Deconstructing a building gives back 100% of its resources so you can't gently caress up placement.

3. You keep your levels and gear on your character. So get together on your friends server to play through the story but you can totally grind for upgrades and poo poo to your equipment on your own server if you want.

Edit:

4. The fact that you can just run a non-dedicated server with several friends and there's no tethering mechanic is awesome too.

5 Also the sailing seems like it's very cool with actual waves and wind direction and stuff. Like more robust than it has to be for sure.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Is the difficulty tunable at all, or is there just a single default level?

I didn't see anything but it's fairly easy to start with and I'm given to understand that difficulty ramps up as you defeat bosses, so it seems like you can play at your own pace.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

The collection of all things that are not for cranking.

If you crank it to the list of things that are not for cranking you unlock the minus world.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

curious if they realize that dwarf fortress is getting a steam release with an updated UI and tilepack made by people working with the developers

I mean there could be literally time for this to release, sell a million copies, and be fully forgotten by everyone before that happens.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh cool, I put sometime in that a few months ago when it was still early access and decided to hold off before going too deep. Its neat, arcade mount and blade wuxia.

Deep in my heart I still miss Chinagame and am waiting for the sequel. I wanna cut my dick off to get better at kung fu again.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

Undisputed champion of missing the source material's point

lol hold up im an idiot i forgot heinlein wrote the original and it was not a joke at the time

If Verhoeven has taught us anything it's that you can't satirize fascism because a ton of fascists love Robocop and Starship Troopers

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

On the other hand no one's steam library is free of people who are as bad or worse and no one should beat themselves up for not being able to fully curate their enjoyment of culture to maximally resist the horrible fucks who make around 90% of all culture.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Stellaris is a bad framework for a Star Trek game because at its heart its a 4X game and, while the federation certainly eXplores a lot, it rarely eXpands due to being hemmed in by politcal rivals, doesn't eXploit any resources because it is already a post-scarcity economy capable of conjuring all material from thin air, and has pretty strong moral and legal restrictions against eXterminating people.

Like, the stellaris framework is about space combat and territory changing hands, not space detente.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

more's the pity, honestly; i would have liked a more Crusader Kings-esque game about space politics

Unironically, a CK3 Star Trek game would make way more sense.

Bug Squash posted:

Sounds like something the Federation would say. Pretty beefy weapons on those "Exploration" vessels.

The big problem though is that Stellaris is a bad framework for a Star Trek game mainly because Stellaris is a bad game.

Stellaris has always been an ambitious project and has varied wildly in quality throughout its lifespan, but is presently, and on the whole, pretty good.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Play posted:

Love this game. Thought it was revolutionary, to be honest. I would really, REALLY like to see more audio-only games. Just a totally different experience. Only ones I'm aware of are this and Blind Drive which was a very basic experience.

I remember seeing a game a few years back that was a co-op game where one player was blind and one player was deaf, so you'd end up having to work together to solve problems and complete the game.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I have been waiting most of my adult life for a cool spiritual sequel to SimAnt and how the gently caress is it this hard guys come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

multiplayer co-op seems like a fun idea. Run a tiny EVE server for all your friends