Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SimonChris posted:

The rules don't say you can't promote your own releases, so here I go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX2DWOwFdsM

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1481960/Death_off_the_Cuff__Remastered/

http://www.sichris.com/Games/Cuff

My award-winning interactive fiction game, "Death off the Cuff", is now out on Steam in a remastered edition with graphical interface, music, and never-before-seen extra content.

The game involves bluffing your way through the closing monologue of a cozy mystery, without revealing that you have no idea whodunnit.
Cool, bought this. I'm always down for new IF releases - glad the genre is still kickin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I played this long ago on phone and it was pretty good, but no Room 3. It's definitely worth it if you enjoyed the others, but not one to start with imo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Roth posted:

I normally just lurk this thread, but I just want to say real quick that I appreciate this thread for highlighting so much cool stuff.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

pmchem posted:

has anyone bought "Mr. Prepper" yet? this game looks hilarious:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/761830/Mr_Prepper/

curious as to goon reviews, but search isn't turning anything up (I do see the link in the post above)
I would like to know this too - is the gameplay deeper than the joke of it?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I bought this on a whim and it's okay so far. I lost already but I'll try it again. It is a LOT like Papers Please with different theming. The minigames to treat people feel kind of hard but I imagine they will get easier with practice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

My dude, I want to tell you that this is one of my favorite threads on SA and it's because of posters like yourself.

I appreciate all the time you and the other posters spend on these posts and your take on these games. They're really really enjoyable to read. Thank you!
It's a great thread - serious props to the people writing these up.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

That can't be a Roguelike, it hasn't got ascii graphics
It was supposed to have this as an option. I haven't played it yet but I wouldn't rule it out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

Secret Agent HD is a remaster of a game from 1991 that's well worth checking out. It's a puzzle platformer with 64 fairly short levels split across four episodes. I remembered the first episode fondly from playing it as a kid, and everything else is just as good. Plan on spending about 5 hours on this one.
Wow not a game I expected to ever hear about again. Can't wait for Jill of the Jungle Remastered, Crystal Caves HD, and Clyde's Adventure Remix...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Lol I was joking of course but I did go on to google them and Clyde's Adventure had a failed kickstarter as well: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digiyolk/clydes-adventure-reborn-launch

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dreylad posted:

I had a whole bunch of them because you could buy a shareware disk with those games on it at the local video rental place for like 4 bucks a pop.
:hai:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Gynovore posted:

This is by Illwinter, the same dudes who made the Dominions series. I'm anticipating a very deep game with a near-vertical learning curve.
I liked number 4 so I bought it and it's pretty much identical gameplay-wise with some more content. I'm enjoying it! Definitely not a vertical learning curve, it's not really a 4x game like dominions. It's certainly complicated under the hood but most of it doesn't matter - just get more guys than the other guy and kill his guys.

It reminds me most of a Heroes of Might and Magic game where you just do the "wander around the map picking up stuff and claiming resource sites" with the combat automated away.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

PleasingFungus, the author, is certainly a goon. :)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Hub Cat posted:

Seems like the person(goon I think?) that made Silicon Zeroes rebooted their old Flash game Manufactoria. Looks like a neat Zachlike:
Manufactoria 2022
This is quite good so far! It has three optimization metrics and automatically saves your best solution in each of the three categories, which is something I've wanted in a zachlike for years.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1137300/Sherlock_Holmes_Chapter_One/

Who wants open world hot Sherlock Holmes action?! I do. I want it very badly but won't buy it yet.
Same - would love to hear a review if someone does buy it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Chorus looks like an arcadey, story-driven space shooter.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256798904/movie_max_vp9.webm?t=1598612619

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Have you played Evochron Legacy and Arvoch Alliance? I haven't tried them myself but I have a similar itch and those are on my radar. They seem kinda like, passion projects from one guy more than AAA experience but the former seems more like X4 while the latter has a mission structure like freespace.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

priznat posted:

Yeah I recall reading about that, they did acquire the IP rights for a bunch of the old sims too like that F117 one. I'd love a MOO2 refresh! Most of the current star strategy games are just too complicated for me. (Stellaris etc)
fyi, someone remade MOO1 and made a thread about it. It's pretty great! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907250

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mage Knight is quite a complex board game. It's a bit like extra-complicated slay the spire but there's also a board you use cards to move around on. Each card can be used in two different ways, one of which uses a resource? It's hard to summarize and very meaty and fun. It's technically 1-4 players but there was so much knowledge and thought that went into each of my turns that I think explaining it + playing it with other people would end up being really slow-going.

I liked Mage Knight well enough that I wishlisted this but it's definitely not for everyone.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Apparently this is a sequel to Syberia 1-3 or at least related https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/25216/Syberia_Trilogy__Limited_offer/

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1569150/Glyph/

I was pretty skeptical when I first saw Glyph, it has a very plain and common look and generally looks a lot like a million other games in both aesthetic and gameplay. After playing however I am feeling much more charitable. They've just nailed the movement skills in this one, they are all interesting and fun to use, and must all be used in concert to truly do well. I love how much air control you get, and it is necessary because you will be pulling off some pretty complex maneuvers. It's broken up into little levels with collectibles like coins and relics which are used to unlock new areas, as well as different skins. It gets tricky fast!
Reaching waaaaay back in the thread to say that I've been loving this game and heartily recommend it to anyone who likes difficult 3d platforming or "marble games" even a little bit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Albinator posted:

So there is a lot about the description that really appeals, but does it go fast? The videos all have the ball laaaaazily bouncing around, is it all like that?

e: also lol at the "more like this" section on the page - apparently Elden Ring and Sekiro
It's not really fast but it's very precise - you might have to provide inputs really fast not because the ball is moving super quickly, but because you want to land on a real small platform after a long jump and its angled diagonally and you want to maintain at least some of your momentum for the next jump. There's a lot of managing momentum and there's enough air control that it's more like flying or gliding than bouncing. So there are fast moments, but no, the ball is not usually moving very quickly.

Here's an individual level speedrun, which I think is pretty illustrative if you want to see how fast the game ends up being at its limits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsENgcW_Kew

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's wild that they remade this with graphics in 2023. I guess I'm in.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

FutureCop posted:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256977908/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1698147213

Dark Envoy

RPG in a techno-magic world with a focus on combat, using RTWP MOBA-esque mechanics. Play as a sister and brother who you can customize with whatever classes/skills/build you like, eventually growing to a party of 4. From the developers of Tower of Time. Very Positive 82% out of 112 reviews. Somewhat reminiscent of games like Aarklash Legacy.
Whoa didn't know this was out - Tower of Time was great and I'll definitely play this when I'm in an isometric RPG mood.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

BrianRx posted:

If anyone has played both, how do Jusant and Peaks of Yore compare to New Heights? New Heights is fairly realistic when it comes to finding foot and handholds and shifting your weight appropriately but is a little hard to control. Climbs are timed, but you are moving at a pretty realistic pace so it isn't really something that would be exciting to speed run. I get the impression Jusant is less involved than that, but what about Peaks of Yore?
Peaks of yore doesn't even have like, footholds. You are just climbing with your hands and swinging around by them. New Heights looks way more involved.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

Logic Town is a logic puzzle game like you’d see in magazines back in the day. A set of clues and then a grid to fill out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2333240/Logic_Town/

I played the demo during Next Fest and the full game is basically just that but more complicated. I’m really enjoying it so far.

17/17 positive reviews at time of posting.
Hell yeah. Thomas likes hats that aren't blue, but only if Anna doesn't like them. Paul has green socks. Wishlisted, will probably grab this one - I used to love these.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

They prompt you to interact with it and interacting with it *doesn't* actually do the key function the thing has? They went through the trouble of giving it an 'interact' button but it doesn't actually make you interact with it? That sucks.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

CainFortea posted:

It does the thing apparently, it just didn't actually tell you they were doing the thing. They fixed that now.
Yeah sounds like the devs responded quickly - it just kinda made my eyes bug out seeing that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

someone awful. posted:

the Command and Conquer games specifically seem to be only available as a huge bundle of all of them, the rest of the stuff is all individual titles though.
This seems to now be true but it wasn't true a few days ago when the tweet was made. I definitely saw red alert 2 on sale alone for like $1.49 or something.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Someone posted a workaround in the reviews. Load the steam store in your browser. You can hit f12 in type this in the console tab to add just Red Alert 2 to your cart. It shows up bugged in the checkout screen but it goes through fine:
code:
addToCart(799317);
You can see the equivalent numbers for the other games at here, as the subID under "Packages included in this bundle".

I would suggest that you guys support indie developers and buy that potion game, but you can't hear me over the sound of all the tesla coil zapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dramicus posted:

Lets go back even further to Microsoft's "The Zone" or the other one I forget what it was called, maybe "Heat" or whatever. I remember playing Jedi knight 1 that way, you had to join games through your web browser.

Playing Jedi Knight and Age of Empires 1 on the Zone was the first time I ever played games online. Little kid me thought it was incredible.