Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

garfield hentai posted:

It took me a few plays to notice it, but there's a "Runes" menu with actual metaprogression. You can choose one of three each of an offensive and defensive rune you can swap between, so even though you can max everything out you can't bring everything at once to any given playthrough.

This explains a few things, like why there wasn’t a reset option for runes like Glass Cannon.

Anyway, while it’s reductive to call it such since it hs its own flavor to it, 20 Minutes is effectively Lovecraft Survivors, and even if it doesn’t have the kind of insane longevity that VS has had so far it’s also only 3 bucks so similarly easy to get your money’s worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Oenis posted:

It's also way harder than the 10 minute demo. The second miniboss (the bull rush demon) is one hell of a bullet sponge and I find him impossible to dodge unless I have the movement speed perk. Also it used to be way easier to become unkillable with the heal from fire damage perk. Haven't finished a run in something like 10 attempts. Maybe I'm just bad, but it's still fun as hell. Post strats if you got 'em.

My first (and second) wins were with SMGs (first Diamond, then Shana). Go for an elemental damage build and as much bounce/bonus projectile/glare as you can stack on the side. You don’t need to worry about the damage your bullets are doing when everything on the screen is burning, frozen, shattering, exploding, and you have a constant stream of lightning bolts and fireballs coming as you shoot your guns. There’s even a pentagram book you can pick that triples the clip size, and when you get 96 shots per reload there is a lot of fun bullshit happening.

Bonus points doing this on Shana if you can get her Halo accessory, but make sure you cover the basics of your elemental kit before you sink a few level ups into a delayed powerup.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Axiom Verge 2 is great. Fixed some of the annoyances with finding secrets from the first game, but the new character and moveset is melee focused so it feels fresh there too. Definitely worth a look if you enjoyed the first or like the genre.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

grate deceiver posted:

SIGNALIS

Looks like a pretty stylish RE-like, kinda giving me Tsutomu Nihei vibes

As a note, Humble Choice subscribers get this for free via their sub, much like Moonscars last month and Ghost Song next week.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

20MTD was one of the early games to appear in the bullet heaven space when VS took off, and it’s a solid game. A major differentiator is (optional, I believe) manual aiming and weapon reloading, which adds some extra mechanical depth to the category since you have to factor in both weapon downtime and effects of firing on your movement speed.

Worth a look and it has the side bonus of the genre being so cheap that it’s not really a loss if you bounce off it relatively quickly.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Pacific Drive definitely caught my eye, and the checkpoint thing, while potentially awkward, does make sense given it’s basically a roguelite structure for trips into the Zone. Curious if it’s something that the devs bend on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bit of a curveball here, but Alpha Protocol is back on GOG after being delisted from stores years ago due to music licensing issues.

https://www.gog.com/en/news/alpha_protocol_is_back_drmfree_for_modern_pcs_watch_the_documentary_video_on_the_process_of_its_revival