Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Problem description: So, I've had a pretty good ASUS USB adapter for my internet, but recently got myself a TP Link Archer T6e 802.11ac PCIe card to free up a USB hole on my computer. My USB adapter catches a good signal and full speed on my 5ghz network, achieving expected speeds for my 100mb down connection. However, my recently installed PCIe adapter struggles to achieve 1-2mbps and/or frequently drops the connection, it achieves expected speeds and a stable connection on the 2.4ghz con. My computer is physically adjacent to the router, so minimal interference.

Attempted fixes: I have physically uninstalled and reinstalled the device, messed around with the antennae, uninstalled and re-installed the drivers and switched the Windows 10 firewall on/off. I understand there might be settings I can mess around with on my router, but have found little advice as to what that might be

Recent changes: No recent changes.

--

Operating system: Win10

System specs: Ryzen 5 2600 sitting on a gigabyte B450 Auros Elite Motherboard, 8gig of DDR4 Ram and a GTX 1060, a decent (silver level?) 550w PSU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: I have googled, but am stumped, I read the FAQ.

Thank you ever so much in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrofiliate
Apr 3, 2011

C:\>YOURPOST.EXE
ERROR: 0x0BAD
Abort, Retry, Fail?:ovr:
Lots of PCI-E slots have pretty severe electrical interference issues, especially 1x slots, try changing slots if you can, alternatively just buy a usb pci-e card for very cheap and keep using your old adapter.

Necrofiliate fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 18, 2019